It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, but I would have really liked Colombia and Germany. :)
    Rooted for the Netherlands (as usual).
    However, I will not have a problem getting excited for Germany because I grew up really liking their soccer/football and they have shown some brilliant play. I am hoping for at least an exciting final.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    My prediction before it all started was a Germany - Argentina final, POOF!

(Germany will win, and they deserve it so)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,539
    A lot of people here is talking about "good football" and "who deserves the title".

Football is about quality (I´m Spanish, I know what I'm talking about ;) at least, until this year...), but football is also about emotion and feelings.

It's obvious that the 1:7 is part of the History, but I'm with Argentina because nobody lives football like Argentina, because Argentina winning in Brasil would be, again, History, and because Messi is the best footballer of the century and HE deserves a World Cup.
    ggl007 wrote:
    It's obvious that the 1:7 is part of the History, but I'm with Argentina because nobody lives football like Argentina, because Argentina winning in Brasil would be, again, History, and because Messi is the best footballer of the century and HE deserves a World Cup.

Argentina winning in Brasil would become Messy.

Messi is perhaps indeed the footballer of the century, so far, but the rest of his team is not even coming close. He deserves the cup I agree, but I have seen this Argentina team and find them poor.

Emotionally I would give the title to Germany and based upon their football too.

I think that Germany has shown a completer kind of football that will make them WC.

I however are more interested in the match Brasil-Netherlands, as both really seem to be winning that match and are able together to make magic as they have shown several WC's.

We all can think on better teams than this Germany that never won a WC... and other champions with no players like Messi, Agüero, Mascherano or Di María, at all.
    ggl007 wrote:
    We all can think on better teams than this Germany that never won a WC... and other champions with no players like Messi, Agüero, Mascherano or Di María, at all.

You are sure you know anything about football?? Germany never having won a WC, the Dutch know of personal experience about at least 1 and so should Argentina.
    Germany 7 times finalist and three times the winner. In 1986 & 1990 the finale was already twice between Germany & Argentina. Both won once..........

As for the impressive list of player by Argentina, they have shown very little so far when it comes to football. Without Messi they would not even have made it out of the group phase.

SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

You are sure you know anything about football?? Germany never having won a WC, the Dutch know of personal experience about at least 1 and so should Argentina.
    Germany 7 times finalist and three times the winner. In 1986 & 1990 the finale was already twice between Germany & Argentina. Both won once..........

As for the impressive list of player by Argentina, they have shown very little so far when it comes to football. Without Messi they would not even have made it out of the group phase.
    Sorry for my bad English.

What I was trying to say is that we know better teams than this Germany in History, AND those better teams never won a WC: Austria 34, Hungary 54, Holland 74, Brasil 82.

This Germany has made History (and a brutal one!), but remember: 2:2 Ghana, 1:0 USA, 2:1 Algerie!!...
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 7,500
    @SaintMark

In football, playing convincingly will not bring you titles. Results does. Both Holland and Argentina deserved their spots in the semifinals. My point is that although both teams were tedius to watch and not terribly convincing, only the Argies get critisized for it. It's not surprising on a forum where the British still moan about a handball in 86 and a European world in general where everyone sympathizes with the Dutch after three lost finals. But it's not completely fair though...

As for the final, Germany have been the better and more entertaining side so far for sure. And of course they're favourites. But I wouldn't be too certain they'll win it though... Germany are at their most ruthless and unplayable when given space and time to run their devestating blitz attacks (pardon the pun). They severely demomstrated that against a Brasil side that completely collapaed and kept giving them the ball in dangerous positions, and combined it with terrible positioning at the back. When faced with deep, cynical and unified defences, they struggle a lot more. Argentina have actually managed to develope such a cynical defence recently.

Anothet question is how they will deal with Messi. All of Argentina's opponents so far have been using at least two strong and defensively astute players to cope with him. Switzerland had Dzemaeli and Behrami to track him, Belgium used Witsel and Fellaini. Holland had both de Jong and Blind to track him for most of the game, with both Vlaar and De Vrij ready to help them out if necessary. But will players like Schweinsteiger and Kroos, who are far better and comfortable on the ball than without it, and Khedira, who loves to run forward with every opportunity, be equally suited to deal with him? It will be interesting to see.
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

What I was trying to say is that we know better teams than this Germany in History, AND those better teams never won a WC: Austria 34, Hungary 54, Holland 74, Brasil 82.

This Germany has made History (and a brutal one!), but remember: 2:2 Ghana, 1:0 USA, 2:1 Algerie!!...

As opposed to Argentina who scraped past Nigeria, Iran and Switzerland!
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

And I loved how they terminated Brasil with 7-1, oh sh&%t that was the Germans who did that who showed no mercy for the team most expected to end up in the finals.

@Jobo, Argentina is all about Messi, take him out of the equation and Argentina would not have left the group phase. Germany is on the whole a better group of players and too be honest the one I expected before the WC began to be one of the finalists. The German football has become very good these last 4 years and it shows. The Argentinians have Messi and some players that should show something but have not so far. And Mascherano might just not play the finals becuase he has a ripped bum hole according to the news. It happened when he tried to stop Robben from scoring, who can now forever boast in truth that he has ripped Mascherano a new ................... :D

And Argentine never convinced me in the semi-finals after the Dutch started playing they were actually coasting towards penalties. I rate Germany much higher in attack, midfield and defense. I doubt that Argentine has played yet against anybody of the caliber of Germany. I expect nine Argentinians around the penalty zone and Messi all alone in the front, it is bound to go wrong.
    ggl007 wrote:

I wasn't talking about Argentina ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

And some shitter teams have won it too:

Argies 86 - pretty dismal all round apart from one bloke who dragged them to the final through his own genius (and greasy cheating).

Brazil 94 - Romario apart a very workmanlike side. Captained by Dunga this team started the demise of samba football in favour of muscularity which reached its apogee with lumbering cloggers like Fred and Hulk being entrusted with the legacy of Garrincha, Pele, Rivelino, Socrates, Zico and Ronaldo.

And are any of the Italian sides ever deserving of winning it? Helped over the line by Mussolini in 34 and Zidane unnerving the French players in 06 just before the shootout by losing his nut (it was found embedded in Materazzi's sternum). In 82 Brazil were probably the best side in it but to be fair the Italians turned up to beat Brazil in the decisive match of the tournament.

This Germany side are not the best side in history but they will be worthy winners. Same goes for the Argies I guess - ok the have looked rather more negative than Germany and over reliant on their main talent but they are still in the tournament so you can't really l knock them can you?
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

Argies 86 - pretty dismal all round apart from one bloke who dragged them to the final through his own genius (and greasy cheating).

Brazil 94 - Romario apart a very workmanlike side. Captained by Dunga this team started the demise of samba football in favour of muscularity which reached its apogee with lumbering cloggers like Fred and Hulk being entrusted with the legacy of Garrincha, Pele, Rivelino, Socrates, Zico and Ronaldo.

And are any of the Italian sides ever deserving of winning it? Helped over the line by Mussolini in 34 and Zidane unnerving the French players in 06 just before the shootout by losing his nut (it was found embedded in Materazzi's sternum). In 82 Brazil were probably the best side in it but to be fair the Italians turned up to beat Brazil in the decisive match of the tournament.

And England: An average side scraping through by merit of their home crowd, some luck and a goal that never crossed the line in the final of 66. ;)
    Germany will win. It's time. We won the World Cup 1954, 1974, 1990 and 2014 we'll win it again. Every 20 years (1990 was an exception (one World Cup earlier) because of the reunion of East and West Germany)!!! :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2014 Posts: 4,441
    The Italian Nicola Rizzoli who Netherlands meet against Spain, and Argentina against Belgium and Nigeria will flute the final game. Good one.

media_l_2366101.jpg

Djamel Haimoudi (Algeria), wil flute the game today between Brazil and The Netherlands. For The Netherlands this be second time, he also did Australia Netherlands. He also flute Belgium - USA (Belgium won with 1-0) and Costa Rica - England.

The Netherlands wil win, because Louise wil make a big change in last 10 minutes of the game. He change him self by Guus Hidink, but not everbody be happy with that..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo3LjswS8pak2WYFgjn0wyql-aHFq3Aq3hZrum4nZlnPuidWUj
    Ron Vlaar
    jobo wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    ggl007 wrote:

And England: An average side scraping through by merit of their home crowd, some luck and a goal that never crossed the line in the final of 66. ;)

Not sure how you define 'scraping' but clearly not the same way I do.

Eng 0-0 v Urg
    Eng 2-0 v Fra
    Eng 2-0 v Mex

To leave the group with 7 points (well 5 in those days) and no goals conceded is hardly scraping.

Ok QF and SF were only won by a one goal margin but no shame in that and only one goal conceded en route to the final strikes me as a team comfortably superior to the teams it was up against.

The final was 50/50 and could've gone either way but thems the breaks. Either West Germany or England would've been worthy winners.

If we want to talk about scraping, luck and home advantage lets look at Argentina 78 shall we my friend?

Argies qualified only 2nd in the first group stage failing to keep a clean sheet and losing a game. Second group stage was an even bigger joke with the infamous 6-0 stitch up which has seen people state in a court of law that the desperate military junta cut a deal with the Peruvian government for Peru to lose by the requisite 4-0 goals. To come on here and talk about teams having home advantage is a bit rich frankly.

As for luck England got lucky with the goal on the line in the same way Argentina got 'lucky' by blatantly cheating and having Helen Keller as ref. Argies also got similarly lucky when hand balling one off the line (Maradona again) against Scotland if I recall in 1990. And then got even luckier in 98 when Sol Campbell's golden goal was disallowed for a nothing challenge. And going back to 78 two of their goals in the final were a clumsy series of deflections which fell for them not to mention Higuain's goal in this tournament which was a shit pass that deflected and sat up perfectly.

England 66 are not the best team in history but were worthy winners who deserved it more than some. They had home advantage, as many winners do, and the rub of the green when they needed it - but all winners have that.

What they didn't have was a corrupt government fixing matches to ease them through or a record of serial cheating that goes unpunished.

If you're a Brazilian or a German by all means come on here and slate England but if you're an Argie fan probably better to keep your head down as your wins were thanks to 'home advantage' of a government bribing other countries to roll over and the 'luck' of having the greatest player who ever lived being born in your country coupled with some outrageous reffing.

Unbelievable.
    He's Norwegian. ;-)
    He's Norwegian. ;-)

So whys he so keen on backing the Argies?

He's Norwegian. ;-)

I'm guessing he either hates the Germans or he's in love with Messi.

He supports Barcelona.

Clearly Norway have no decent club sides.
    He's Norwegian. ;-)

He supports Barcelona.

Oh dear.

Well at least he's not an Argie - that's one point in his favour. Doesn't make his conclusions any more valid though does it.

And what's wrong with supporting Rosenborg?!?
    Rosenberg is fine.

As a Dutchman I want Argentina to go down in a flaming kind of way, and not because of this last match because when it comes to penalties there is skill and there is luck. Argentine had both more on the day.

Because of the Junta 1978 win of the WC I hope that tomorrow they'll lose badly.
    He's Norwegian. ;-)

He supports Barcelona.

Oh dear.

Well at least he's not an Argie - that's one point in his favour. Doesn't make his conclusions any more valid though does it.

Haha. Well, I have been supporting Rosenborg all my life, and I can guarantee there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

As to why I support the Argies, well... why not? They are a country that lives and breathes football, have a fascinating history, a romantic and extravagant approach to the game and produced some of the best individual players and general entertainment ever seen in the game of football. Together with Brasil and Holland they have contributed more to the beautiful game than probably any other nation. Makes a lot of sense to me! ;) The great mystery as far as I am concerned is why any neutral would support England like so many of my countrymen do... Chosing between England and Argentina is like chosing between a Fiat and a Ferrari. The latter might be more controversial but the choise is given! I'd take a hundred "manos del dios" over your kick and run football, just so you know... ;)

And I'm satisfied my small and humoristic comment caused such a reaction. :) Especially after you dedicated a consideribly longer post to crap at several respected football nations and their victories, doing so with rather unimpressive resource material. I find such an arrogance amusing, considering your own nation have shown such limited talent and general understanding of the game throughout all these years :)
    He's Norwegian. ;-)

He supports Barcelona.

Oh dear.

Haha. Well, I have been supporting Rosenborg all my life, and I can guarantee there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

As to why I support the Argies, well... why not? They are a country that lives and breathes football, have a fascinating history, a romantic and extravagant approach to the game and produced some of the best individual players and general entertainment ever seen in the game of football. Together with Brasil and Holland they have contributed more to the beautiful game than probably any other nation. Makes a lot of sense to me! ;) The great mystery as far as I am concerned is why any neutral would support England like so many of my countrymen do... Chosing between England and Argentina is like chosing between a Fiat and a Ferrari. The latter might be more controversial but the choise is given! I'd take a hundred "manos del dios" over your kick and run football, just so you know... ;)

And I'm satisfied my small and humoristic comment caused such a reaction. :) Especially after you dedicated a consideribly longer post to crap at several respected football nations and their victories, doing so with rather unimpressive resource material. I find such an arrogance amusing, considering your own nation have shown such limited talent and general understanding of the game throughout all these years :)

No arrogance mate. Trust me I'm way more aware than you just how piss poor England are.

I was simply responding to your assertion that better teams than this Germany team had won the World Cup. Anyone who beats Brazil 7-1 at home is not a poor team, no matter how laughable the defence in front of them. You can look at every team who has won the World Cup and there will be moments of luck. I don't think England had more than their fair share in 66 so I dont really know why youre singling them out; and at least it was genuine rub of the green good fortune with the 3rd goal (and, lest you forget, the winning margin was 2 goals so it could be argued that the famous goal awarded by Tofiq Bahramov was not even decisive) rather than your beloved Argies underhand cheating in 78 and 86. Not to mention their cynical performance in the 1990 final. Any chance they might try to play football tomorrow?

Like you I'm utterly bemused as to why anyone would choose to support England when they don't have to. But then there are a lot of strange people in the world - some randomly decide to support Argentina. Go figure.

And I'm not quite sure how my resource material is unimpressive given I'm merely quoting World Cup statistics which are a matter of historical fact. Or should I be looking in 'The History of the World According to Argentina' where cynically handballing your way to victory is regarded as divine intervention and they are the rightful owners to the Falkland Islands?
    This is what I thought of the german team after that semi-final :

fgf.png

Because, on that level, it was not a humiliation. It was an extermination.

No arrogance mate. Trust me I'm way more aware than you just how piss poor England are.

I was simply responding to your assertion that better teams than this Germany team had won the World Cup. Anyone who beats Brazil 7-1 at home is not a poor team, no matter how laughable the defence in front of them. You can look at every team who has won the World Cup and there will be moments of luck. I don't think England had more than their fair share in 66 so I dont really know why youre singling them out; and at least it was genuine rub of the green good fortune with the 3rd goal (and, lest you forget, the winning margin was 2 goals so it could be argued that the famous goal awarded by Tofiq Bahramov was not even decisive) rather than your beloved Argies underhand cheating in 78 and 86. Not to mention their cynical performance in the 1990 final. Any chance they might try to play football tomorrow?

Like you I'm utterly bemused as to why anyone would choose to support England when they don't have to. But then there are a lot of strange people in the world - some randomly decide to support Argentina. Go figure.

And I'm not quite sure how my resource material is unimpressive given I'm merely quoting World Cup statistics which are a matter of historical fact. Or should I be looking in 'The History of the World According to Argentina' where cynically handballing your way to victory is regarded as divine intervention and they are the rightful owners to the Falkland Islands?

Yes, I somehow figured the Falkland Islands would be brought into this discussion sooner or later. :))

And the assertion about "better or worse teams than Germany 2014" was never mine... Another guy wrote that. And I believe his point was that Germany, although good, are not sure winners tomorrow. Yet you thought it necesarry to go on a judging tirade regarding which sides who were deserving world cup winners or not. Is that not being arrogant?

And how was I singling England out as lucky? On the contrary I included them in your list of weak or undeserving world cup winners... although I'm willing to admit I have no idea what I'm talking about ;)) But it seemed as an appropriate and jokingly response to your questionable analyzes. But it got one hell of a reaction that's for sure :) (as I'm sure your post would get too from any Italian or Argentine reading it...)

And when I referred to your "resource material" I was being sarcastic. Because you had no resource material at all. How is arguing that "Italy were never deserving winners" and Maradonas Argentina were "average", stating "statistical facts"? There were never any statistical facts in your post my friend, only personal opinions. Even the claims that Mussolini and the military junta were responsible for Italy's victory in the 30s and Argentina's in 78, have never been proved... although I agree both victories seem tainted. But the point is: The general assertion of which teams are "good/bad", "deserving/undeserving" winners will always be a matter of personal, subjective opinion. If I wan't to make an assertion that England were lucky in 66 (how would I know, I wasn't dven born :)) ), it carries just as much weight as your assertions.
    We have already seen how the referee does favor Brasil, Silva should have gotten a red card.
    Thank you that we were allowed to have van Persie score 1-0.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    We have already seen how the referee does favor Brasil, Silva should have gotten a red card.

True, but the foul was outside the box so it pretty much evened out.

I am sorry that was a RED card no discussion about it, and indeed the foul was outside the box but the rules are very clear. Had a Dutch defender done the same thing Orange would have played with ten.

Already 2-0 I am not sure how the Brazilians got to the semi-finals.
    I'm quite happy to talk about football. It wasn't me who brought up the Falklands at this World Cup old son:
    _75376516_argentina_players_flag.jpg

And the assertion about "better or worse teams than Germany 2014" was never mine... Another guy wrote that. And I believe his point was that Germany, although good, are not sure winners tomorrow. Yet you thought it necesarry to go on a judging tirade regarding which sides who were deserving world cup winners or not. Is that not being arrogant?

Apologies, yes it wasn't you who said Germany didn't deserve to win. How is going on a 'judging tirade' of undeserving winners arrogant but claiming (along with Brazil and Holland) 'the Argies have contributed more to the beautiful game than probably any other nation' is not?

Unless I missed something and diving, handballing, rolling around to get people sent off and cynical fouls are all taught at the Ajax Academy?

But that's the beauty of football banter - everyone's got an opinion and will fiercely argue it. I do think we may have got off on the wrong foot as you do seem quite knowledgeable about the game and of course are absolutely correct to say that Argentina weren't lucky in the SF. Yes the Argies were 'lucky' to win the penalty shootout just as Holland were 'unlucky'. But Holland were not unlucky to go out because they were happy to play defensively and risk a penalty shoot out so they got what they deserved.

I still have yet to see anything from Messi that could let me put him in the same bracket as Maradona who where Messi went missing against the Dutch would have won the game somehow. It's the Argies defensive solidity that have got them where they are and deservedly so. Still hope they get done tomorrow as you never like to see defensive teams win the trophy, however much you can admire the technical ability to organise themselves at the back.

Enough of this though as Brazil seem to be about to get another raping. 2-0 already and their defence doesn't seem any better than the SF! Hup Holland - maybe they can get 8.

I am sorry that was a RED card no discussion about it, and indeed the foul was outside the box but the rules are very clear. Had a Dutch defender done the same thing Orange would have played with ten.

Already 2-0 I am not sure how the Brazilians got to the semi-finals.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it was a clear red card but at the same time it was never a penalty.

Anyway, good to see that David Luiz has learnt how to defend since the last game....
This discussion has been closed.