It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    Finishing off is not a problem I encounter.

Do you live alone then? ;) :D

I have a pet Donkey called Dong.

:)) =D> Does he call you Ding? ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ron Vlaar seems to be having a great match at least; the Netherlands should be thankful for that.

No Krul coming up ... all subs done.
    Dirk Kuyt's passing has been absolutely awful, he hasn't given the strikers a chance.
  • RC7RC7
    Argentina are playing like a Classic Italian side.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Penalties! I didn't see that one coming - it's been end to end for 120 minutes.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Quelle surprise, with two such defensive teams.

Now if Messi misses we'll see Argentina cry,

Honestly I do believe that the Dutch will end up playing Brasil.
    I never thought I'd say it, but I hope Germany win the final. Both Argentina and the Dutch have been so dull since the group stages ended. Like watching paint dry.
    Oh okay. Germany will play Argentina.
    I do wish the Netherlands had won, though. :(

Now I'll be rooting for Germany. Not that I totally dislike Argentina; I don't.

Sigh ...
    Well the dream is over, but still two times semi-finales in two consecutive WC is not too shabby. Too bad that the Germans will win, we will have too live with our neighbors for another 4 years.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I never thought I'd say it, but I hope Germany win the final. Both Argentina and the Dutch have been so dull since the group stages ended. Like watching paint dry.

That's what I've long since thought too. On Sunday, I hope this is Germany's year.

Who will win out of Holland and Brazil though?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Quite. Rooting for the Germans is pretty shameful but at least they play the game. No Englishman can ever support the odious, greasy Argies - particularly after their Malvinas banner before the tournament.

Did you see Krul's face at the end? You could see he just knew he would've made a better fist of it than the other bloke who should've saved at least one, probably two by my reckoning.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2014 Posts: 4,415
    geperste-sinaasappel.jpg

As we say in Dutch: Gefeliciteerd ^:)^

Snijder missing, Louise al ready use his 4 options to change. But respect for the other part and beautiful game.

lead_large.jpg
    Joker please...
    Really thought the Netherlands had that one, they'd done such a good job at shutting down Argentina I actually forgot Messi was in the game.
    Argentina was very lucky, it'll be interesting to see how they fare against Germany.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Argentina was up all night to get lucky.

Germany should win easily.

Is the Third Place game really necessary?
    I am not fond of having a third place game.

And I do think Germany should win.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Haha, this is getting ridiculous. :) Every Argentina win and I hear the same weak exscuses; "they were lucky, they were lucky". I have no idea where you saw that "luck" yesterday... Yet when Holland beat Mexico by a late comeback and then won another penalty shootout I guess it was all down to "pure, deserved destiny." Save me from this bullcrap please ;))

Neither Holland or Argentina have been spectacular this tournament, and they have both had to play a cynical brand of football to reach this stage. But one of them at least has the most technically gifted player to have ever seized the game. The other team has a guy that runs like Forest Gump and then falls to the ground when necessary (I'm amased he managed to stay on his feet yesterday...), and spent their last world cup final deliberately kicking the Spaniards... Well, support whoever you want, but don't tell me this dutch side are morally justified winners, or unlucky to lose. Argentina are well deserved finalists, and will, unlike Brasil, give the Germans a real fight!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    jobo wrote:
    Haha, this is getting ridiculous. :) Every Argentina win and I hear the same weak exscuses; "they were lucky, they were lucky". I have no idea where you saw that "luck" yesterday... Yet when Holland beat Mexico by a late comeback and then won another penalty shootout I guess it was all down to "pure, deserved destiny." Save me from this bullcrap please ;))

Neither Holland or Argentina have been spectacular this tournament, and they have both had to play a cynical brand of football to reach this stage. But one of them at least has the most technically gifted player to have ever seized the game. The other team has a guy that runs like Forest Gump and then falls to the ground when necessary (I'm amased he managed to stay on his feet yesterday...), and spent their last world cup final deliberately kicking the Spaniards... Well, support whoever you want, but don't tell me this dutch side are morally justified winners, or unlucky to lose. Argentina are well deserved finalists, and will, unlike Brasil, give the Germans a real fight!

One person has said it, so don't over exaggerate, I know you look for these petty arguments. I could say the same to you about how in the past the Argentinians have kicked, punched, play acted, dived and HANDBALLED (they perhaps have the worst record of any team for cheating their way through World Cups) their way to World Cup victories before. I will support whoever I want and no, I will not say that the Dutch MORALLY DESERVED TO WIN, but you try saying the same about Argentina. In fact, I would say neither team deserved it after 120, and each was equally unlucky, which took it down to penalty kicks, which is all about luck, and yes, it was the Argie's lucky night I guess. They move on. Congratulations to them and in some ways it was deserved, but it was an equally deserving game for both teams.
    imagine the the argies and the germans in the final....must bring happy memories for the older german generation who settled in argie land after ww2.

It's a British tabloid's wet dream!
    @Samm04

I'm happy to see a humble comment from you, and your analyzis of the game I can agree with wholeheartedly. But I think I need to clarify something...

If anyone have been looking for petty arguments throughout this tournament it's you. You have been moaning all the way about how "lucky Argentina have been", how they don't deserve to be at this stage and so on. You have thrashed them for being to reliant on one player and for being boring... although the exact same description can be used about your beloved Holland. You have thrashed Brasil for being a team of divers although one of "your own" maybe would qualify as the worst duver in the game. When those teams win cynically it's pure luck. When Holland win cynically, van Gaal is a tactical genius...

If anyone's been looking for controversy it's you, and if anyone's in defence position is me...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well @Sammm04 and @jobo this is what happens in football. You passionately support your home Nation and before you know it you're defending them against criticism from all quarters.

Lucky for us, only a few days left and we can close the thread and get back to more sensible pastimes - arguing about James Bond films.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    M_Balje wrote:
    0,,16372965_404,00.jpg
    Sunday 13 July 2014 - 21.00 / 09.00 PM Dutch time..

Unfortunately not. Would have preferred Netherlands in the finals, but, well, now for EVITA in the finals.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Of all the fun stuff on the net, I liked this best.
    10513346_10152152958767327_5068831921447723702_n.jpg
    But this is also hilarious.
    argentina-coach.gif
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 870

If the first penalty is shot by Vlaar,
    You won't see the penalty from Huntelaar.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But this is also hilarious.
    argentina-coach.gif

Thanks for posting. I like morons.
    Chill Jobo, Argentina did not deserve the semi-finale place based upon their poor performance this whole tournament and neither did the Dutch. I would have prefered based upon the football played a finale with Colombia vs Costa Rica.

But both teams managed to scrape by and gave us a piss poor match the Dutch true to form did not show up until the 70th minute to play football, and Argentina was not able to play anything different from what they have shown the whole tournament that is score one and defend the living daylights out of the pitch. Messi can be brilliant and showed flashes this tournament but not enough. Robben on the other hand made the difference for the Netherlands and as such did show his talent.

This Sunday we can only hope that the one team that showed football will make Argentina cry.

This Saturday we will find out if Brasil is really bad and will the Dutch finally play a game of football for 90 minutes. If after 90 minutes nobody has scored they should take a bow and leave the third place to the hosts of this highly amusing tournament.

And Jobo the Dutch did show up in the semi-finale twice the last two tournaments, this time mostly due to the tactical insight of the coach who did do an excellent job with mediocre players and some great ones. And indeed as it turns out there were quite a few teams who consisted of more mediocre players than than the Dutch. Or teams that were not able to play like a team and got their behind kicked: SPain & Brasil. And they deserved it.

This Sunday most of the football lovers will cheer for the better football playing team and hope that they will make the folks from Argentina cry.
    I've been backing Germany from the start. Even when England were still in it.
    I would have preferred Colombia vs. Germany. But c'est la vie.
    I would have preferred Colombia vs. Germany. But c'est la vie.

Not quite possible as finale, as a semi-finale it would have been possible had Colombia won of Brasil.
    Well even though i was completely disgusted and not surprised at how abismal England were? The final is an England fans worst nightmare with the two teams we love to hate the most.

From a footballing point of view i will be supporting Germany in the final as they have impressed me the most!
This discussion has been closed.