James Bond movie as a metaphor for Christian life?

edited May 2014 in Skyfall Posts: 368
Hey everyone,
I don't know who of you is religious. Well I am and today I found a very interesting article.
The title of the text buffled me: "James Bond and God"
I didn't know what Bond should have to do with God and I really didn't understand when I read that a James Bond movie could be a metaphor for Christian life...
Here is the article if you want to read it: James Bond and God.
Regards,
Miranda

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,788

For anyone that may be interested, you can also have a read of my paper here on The Bondologist Blog, 'Musings on James Bond and Religion':

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/musings-on-james-bond-and-religion.html
  • @BeatlesSansEarmuffs had a thread a little like this one on Christian imagery in Skyfall. It went downhill fast, but the basic idea is sound.
    Yes I just found it. Thanks for the tip.
    I also started a similar thread. Will send you the link when I'm home. I mentioned that Silva was a Lucifer figure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm worried every time we try to discuss religion here. Sure, it's okay to do so in non-Bond related threads (and even those tend to explode pretty fast) but to bring religion into Bond-related discussions is known to make this forum tremble. So my finger is on the 'close' button for when the name-calling starts... [-X
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm worried every time we try to discuss religion here. Sure, it's okay to do so in non-Bond related threads (and even those tend to explode pretty fast) but to bring religion into Bond-related discussions is known to make this forum tremble. So my finger is on the 'close' button for when the name-calling starts... [-X

Poo head. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dragonpol wrote:
    For anyone that may be interested, you can also have a read of my paper here on The Bondologist Blog, 'Musings on James Bond and Religion':

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/musings-on-james-bond-and-religion.html

Just read this.No controversy, and intelligent as always. Dragons do not have reptilian brains.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just read that article, @Dragonpol. Very well written and thought-provoking, great work as always. I suggest everyone go through his blog and take a look at his work, it really is something special.
    Ludovico wrote:

I have read Ian Fleming, but never God Fleming, so thanks for that. Are they related?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Thank you very much for reading that article of mine and enjoying it too. Much appreciated. I think Bond and religion should be discussed and can be discussed sensibly without any need for controversy. I suspect that severe trolling was what took things astray in previous threads. I've been meaning to do an updated companion piece on Bond and religion on the blog at some point.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously they can be discussed together, and in a civilised manner too. But it's a dangerous topic nonetheless. You see, Bond is about escapism and fun. Bringing too serious a subject into it, can spoil the fun big time. Also, I think that people sometimes start hunting for hidden symbolism and whatnot, just for the sake of it. No screenwriter I'm aware of has ever intended to stuff secret references to religion in any Bond film. So whatever can be read as refering to religion, is at best coincidental.
    I don't believe Christianity has the market cornered on doing what's right. Many atheists are inclined to do the right thing without the guidance or judgment of a god. Metaphors are quite pliable.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,816
    I said it in a different thread that got closed down, I will say it here, James Bond in his personal life takes actions that are be considered sinful by Christianity (and other religions). he has pre-marital sex, extra-marital sex (as he is the lover of married women), he also drinks, is gluttonous, etc. Maybe more importantly, he is not repenting.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote:
    I said it in a different thread that got closed down, I will say it here, James Bond in his personal life takes actions that are be considered sinful by Christianity (and other religions). he has pre-marital sex, extra-marital sex (as he is the lover of married women), he also drinks, is gluttonous, etc. Maybe more importantly, he is not repenting.

Well he did go to church in FYEO. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    James Bond is but an instrument of the most high.
    chrisisall wrote:
    James Bond is but an instrument of the most high.

Let me guess. @Birdleson?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That's Rastafarian for God. ;)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,816
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

He didn't seem very repentant;-).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    He didn't seem very repentant;-).
    I'm sure he would've confessed to everything had Q not mocked him ;)
    Something else as well: Bond's manicheism prevents him and his universe to be truly Christian. There is little room for repentance, atonement and forgiveness in his world. Although Vesper redeems herself by committing suicide, suicide itself is of course a big no no in Christian ideology.
    So let's try this one. Bond kills Silva with a knife in a chapel. Now where are we?
    CrabKey wrote:
    So let's try this one. Bond kills Silva with a knife in a chapel. Now where are we?

There is a lot of Christian imagery in the Bond novels and movies, in SF among others. Silva is practically a fallen angel, both loving and hating God/M. But I am not convinced that it can go beyond the imagery and the symbolism. In morality, one could say that Bond is anything but Christian. Christian iconography without Christian morality, so to speak.
    Fleming used expressions or elements of all kinds of beliefs to bring something supernatural to his stories, but he did so very superficially, and purely for entertainment. Like adding a few dashes of a certain color to a painting. Not to give it more meaning, but to make the painting more colorful.

The Bond filmmakers are too market-oriented to restrict themselves to one religion. Pictures, statues, or symbols always look good in a film.