Connections between two Bond films

Comments

• RC7RC7
    DrGorner wrote: »
    So it's rained in all The D Craig Bonds, I must watch out for the " Rain" scene in
    Spectre. :)

There's also been a JCB in the first action scene of each his films. He obviously doesn't engage it in QoS, but would be a fun little bit of visual continuity to have it in SP.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) along with the new Aston, he'll have this years latest JCB. ;)
    Character titles - DN, GF, OP
    Titles containing gold - GF, TMWTGG, GE,
    Titles containing live - YOLT, LALD, TLD
    Titles containing love - FRWL, TSWLM
    Titles containing die - DAD, TND,
    Titles containing kill - LTK, AVTAK
    Places - CR, SF
    Operations - TB
    Villain's weapon - MR
    Organizations - SP, O(HMSS), Q(oS)
    Familiar phrases - TWINE, DAF, FYEO

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

What's a JCB? :((
  • RC7RC7

What's a JCB? :((

It's actually a heavy machinery (diggers etc) brand name. It's a bit like saying Tannoy when you mean loudspeaker.
    Public address system. ;) JCBs are the best, like calling something a
    "Doozy"
  • RC7RC7
    Public address system. ;) JCBs are the best, like calling something a
    "Doozy"

I was hoping someone would follow through with that comment ;)
    Damn, I hate to be predictable, I was hoping for interesting and
    Mysterious. :D
    It seems like quite a few of the films, particularly in the first half of the series, seem to copy plot elements off each other. I'm not saying that they are direct rip-offs, but there are just certain elements of the plots that were taken from other films. Here are a few obvious ones to get you started:

-Goldfinger & Diamonds are Forever:
    The title song is sung by Shirley Bassey. The villain is suspected of smuggling a desirable, expensive substance. Bond and M attend a meeting with an expert on the substance to gain more information about it.

-Live and Let Die and The Man with the Golden Gun:
    Bond is in the villain's territory, where he is knocked out. A villain then says something along the lines of 'Take Mr Bond to (Insert interesting, mysterious destination here). Bond is taken to that place, where he is meant to be killed, but manages to escape, using a red and white boat. The bad guys chase him in another boat. This chase is witnessed by Sheriff J.W. Pepper :D .

Also, at the end of the film, after Bond has killed the main villain and rescued the girl, the two travel on a vehicle and are about to have sex, when the villain's henchman who stowed away on the vehicle attacks Bond. However, Bond manages to defeat the henchman, and he and the girl have sex.

-The Spy Who Loved Me& Moonraker
    The villain (whose henchman is Jaws) plans to kill all humans on the world's surface and start his own civilization in an extreme location.

Thoughts? Anyone have any more examples? Love to hear them :P
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,524
    Goldfinger & A View To A Kill

- Industrialists concoct a plan for increasing the value of his own company by taking out the competition.

- The means to do so involves a bomb.

- One plan is called "Grand Slam", the other "Main Strike".

- Bond learns about these plans by listening in on meetings.

- Bad guy and his associates gather around a map of sorts.

- One associate doesn't want to be involved and so he's taken out by...

- ... a henchperson with distinct features: one with a steel-rimmed hat, the other with the specific looks of Grace Jones. Oh wait. Also, strange names with repeated vowels: "Odd-Job" and "May-Day".

- Both industrialists are fond of horses.

- Both industrialists are foolish enough to cheat on games, which only draws Bond's attention.

- We visit the USA and that's where the climax takes place: For Knox and Silicon Valley.

- The final argument between Bond and the villain is made aboard or near an aerial vehicle of sorts.

- The villains try to beat Bond at a game, either gulf or horse racing.

Good stuff on the GF/AVTAK similarities, I would also add:

-The villain abandons his loyal henchperson to die, trapped with a bomb
    -Bond writes down notes on paper about the villain's plan (bit obscure I know, but IIRC these are the only two times Bond does this (?))

YOLT/TSWLM/TND all follow the basic plot of a villain manipulating two nations into starting a war

TWINE/Skyfall : PTS features a chase resulting in Bond failing to catch the villain, Bond falls from a great height and is injured. He later goes through a medical evaluation; there's an injury that affects his performance. The villain sets off an explosion at MI6 headquarters and has a personal grudge with M. Turkey, the streets of London, and Scotland are all visited in the films. Both feature the final appearance of a long term character/actor and the first appearance of their replacement.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

Um... Are you quite sure that's the link you wanted to post? ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,350
    The power of 'Merge'. :)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Yes the newer thread has been merged with mine so it looks a bit odd now, but it's the right call. I'll have a read through of the new posts shortly and see if anyone has pointed out any two-film links we had previously missed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rory Kinnear as Tanner can now be removed from the QOS-SF bit and Mr White CR-QOS if he has been mentioned, but you can add some new ones between Skyfall and Spectre: Mendes, Newman, Fiennes, Wishaw, Harris, Skyfall. I am sure there are others as well.
    No SP content until the film is released, please.
    Since SP has now been released it's now time to update the list on page 1 of this thread. Remember that we are looking for things that are unique to only two films in the series and not more than two.

We also need to identify anything in the list which is now invalid. For example, Bond's apartment now appears in more than two films, so the previous unique connection between DN and LALD has been taken out.

So, what did you spot in SP that we have seen exactly once before?
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    As people have noted, Goldfinger and A View To a Kill have related plots indeed. On top of that, For Your Eyes Only has a comparable storyline to From Russia With Love (Bond trying to find a communications device), and The Spy Who Loved Me is a better version of You Only Live Twice (in my opinion), again with a similar plot.

Also, great job @dinovelvet for discovering so many connections between TWINE and Skyfall.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,984
    There's also TSWLM and TWINE both having moments where Bond fires a missile from his car that destroys an enemy-controlled helicopter. Oh, and both Kristatos and Silva get a knife to their back in the heat of a tense moment.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,667
    Here's what I have removed from the previous list, i.e. things which were previously unique to two films until now:

- We see Bond's home (DN/LALD)
    - Bond fights an actor who is a professional wrestler (GF/YOLT)
    - A game of chess in progress (FRWL/OHMSS)
    - Bond at a carnival (since you can't really count TB's Junkanoo and MR's Rio Carnival and not count Day of the Dead)
    - Bond held in chair with arm restraints (LALD/TWINE)
    - Skulls in title sequence (LALD/SF)
  • DariusDarius UK
    So it's rained in all The D Craig Bonds, I must watch out for the " Rain" scene in
    Spectre. :)
    I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you.

;)
    :)) yes I have seen it.
    Did it rain in SP? I honestly can't remember.

Can anyone think of anything in SP that has only been seen once before?
    Hmm... Roger Moore wears the same clothes during the insane stunts/plane sequences of Moonraker & Octopussy.
    YOLT and DAF - appearances by David Bauer.
    TSWLM and TLD - appearances by Nadim Sawalha
    TSWLM and OP - appearances by Albert Moses
    Dr. No and TSWLM - appearances by Milton Reid
    SPECTRE connections. I think these are all unique, unless you know otherwise!

TB - SPECTRE board meeting

YOLT - the villain introduces himself as Ernst Stavro Blofeld

MR - henchmen threat in a cable car

FYEO - Bond takes control of a helicopter mid-flight

TND - Villain watches a video recording of Bond from earlier in the film

TWINE - Bond takes a vehicle out of Q's lab without permission

GF and SP - Mexico setting
    GF and OHMSS - Switzerland setting
    OP and TND - Germany setting
    OP and CR - Indian subcontinent setting - the original cut of CR has a supertitle that Bond attacking the guy in the toliets is in Pakistan