"Did i overcomplicate the plot ?" - Skyfall Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I like that shot in SF simply because it underscored the Bond that Mendes was doing so much to feature in the film. The thematic content of a knight's tale, the imagery and connections to Arthurian legends throughout, the idea of a phoenix rising from the ashes and all the rest give SF a very medieval feeling. The climax in Scotland carries this idea through all the more as Bond pulls a William Wallace and fights his enemy on cultural turf using classic weapons that are the antithesis of modern. It only felt right that one of the final shots in the movie would show Bond looking over London ruminating on what'd transpired. The movie really was the London based Bond film where the agent was rooted in his adopted home, where he fought to keep it safe from Silva directly in many scenes. The moment was all about him looking out at what he'd helped to preserve, despite M's death, and all that remained because of their actions: London was standing, and in there he sensed a victory. Silva teased him about his principles and how he lived life in a ruin of beliefs at MI6, but Bond proved the solidarity of the realm and his role as its protector in a suitably Arthurian way. Like a knight, he was overlooking his kingdom in a moment of peacetime, waiting for the moment where he'd have to gallop off and protect it from further harm. Perfect, in a way.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I'm glad that the film resonated with you at the level you've described above. I can't argue with someone who has been moved by it in this fashion. All that you describe above I ascribe to Batman and TDK, particularly its ending, which in very poignant and moving fashion demonstrated what sacrifices Batman/Wayne was willing to make for Gotham.

--
    "A hero. Not the hero we deserved, but the hero we needed. Nothing less than a Knight... "

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now so we'll hunt him because he can take it because he's not a hero he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector a Dark Knight."
    --
    ***Cue Zimmer's kick 'a' score***

I've never seen Bond as the character that Mendes has tried to portray. Those lofty Knight like attributes I reserve for others. Bond is not that type of character in my view. He's not that clean. Not that pure.

I didn't have a problem with all that high mindedness for a patriotic 50th anniversary film, but I look forward with keen interest to a reassessment of approach.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    And kinda like how I feel about MI:3. :P
    And kinda like how I feel about MI:3. :P
    And similarly the light hearted reset that occured with MI:4 was a refreshing godsend imho.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love MI:3, but find the following two forgettable popcorn flicks where I confuse the 4th and 5th one...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like that shot in SF simply because it underscored the Bond that Mendes was doing so much to feature in the film. The thematic content of a knight's tale, the imagery and connections to Arthurian legends throughout, the idea of a phoenix rising from the ashes and all the rest give SF a very medieval feeling. The climax in Scotland carries this idea through all the more as Bond pulls a William Wallace and fights his enemy on cultural turf using classic weapons that are the antithesis of modern. It only felt right that one of the final shots in the movie would show Bond looking over London ruminating on what'd transpired. The movie really was the London based Bond film where the agent was rooted in his adopted home, where he fought to keep it safe from Silva directly in many scenes. The moment was all about him looking out at what he'd helped to preserve, despite M's death, and all that remained because of their actions: London was standing, and in there he sensed a victory. Silva teased him about his principles and how he lived life in a ruin of beliefs at MI6, but Bond proved the solidarity of the realm and his role as its protector in a suitably Arthurian way. Like a knight, he was overlooking his kingdom in a moment of peacetime, waiting for the moment where he'd have to gallop off and protect it from further harm. Perfect, in a way.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I'm glad that the film resonated with you at the level you've described above. I can't argue with someone who has been moved by it in this fashion. All that you describe above I ascribe to Batman and TDK, particularly its ending, which in very poignant and moving fashion demonstrated what sacrifices Batman/Wayne was willing to make for Gotham.

--
    "A hero. Not the hero we deserved, but the hero we needed. Nothing less than a Knight... "

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now so we'll hunt him because he can take it because he's not a hero he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector a Dark Knight."
    --

I've never seen Bond as the character that Mendes has tried to portray. Those lofty Knight like attributes I reserve for others. Bond is not that type of character in my view. He's not that clean. Not that pure.

I didn't have a problem with all that high mindedness for a patriotic 50th anniversary film, but I look forward with keen interest to a reassessment of approach.

@bondjames, there's plenty of heroes those kinds of traits support, they are around for a reason after all. I think Bond and Batman are impure definitions of knights in different ways, the former being a lustful killer and the latter being a vigilante that vaporizes the bones of his enemies in fights, but both ascribe to some notions of the title. I see this especially with Bond, as there's just more there to support it. He's an Englishmen mounted as a trained killer to hit the battlefield to protect the realm ruled over by his queen. The very obvious overtones of archaic Britishness reflect the royal past of the nation and its connection to horse sat knights.

In many ways the stakes for Bond in the present day wouldn't be too different from what they would be in the medieval period if he were really a knight. SF is essentially the modern day equivalent of a brave knight of the realm running to protect his queen (could be seen as M) as a dangerous enemy cavalry (Silva and his boys) busts their way into their kingdom through Trojan horse tactics to wreak havoc. Knights are very glorified in a symbolic sense and in mythology, but make no mistake, they hacked and slashed to do what must be done to keep their lords and lasses safe, doing what few others could do to sacrifice everything for the survival of their land. The first line of defense, the warriors on foot, trained and ready to face death via and because of their principles. This is very much Bond for me. Even when he's lying with a woman and she gives him a peck goodbye as he's called off to another mission, I feel a symbolic connection is there of a lady giving a piece of her self to a knight as he heads off to battle.
    Born perhaps out of the Roman Praetorian Guards, the historical figure of the Knight was far from pure. Under Charlemagne the Praetorians evolved into the 12 Paladin (who are depicted in modern literature as Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table). Probably the best remembered Knights in History were the Templars (The Order of Solomon’s Temple), crusaders who faded and fell in memory after the fall of Jerusalem. Knights were awarded dominion over territory conquered and local populations subdued. Taking fair maidens and homage in the form of taxes paid, usually starving the surrounding population of what meager foodstuffs they managed to eke from their farmland. Romantic and Victorian literature abounds with visions of idealized knights from El Cid to Don Quixote. The Song of Roland (La Chanson de Roland) depicts the chivalrous and legendary deeds of knighthood, at least in romantic terms. Bond is no less romantic as a hero than the Paladin, except of course that he survives in the end to battle the forces of evil again and again, exactly what we want. Mendes images this very well, particularly during Sciarra’s funeral as Bond is seen in top coat and dark glasses confronting and then rescuing Monica Bellucci who we see as Sciarra’s widow (not to mention Dr. Snow later). Machiavelli shattered the romantic notion of chivalry, and Bond in SF and SP appears more realistically as a knight in modern terms than the idealism of medieval literature. There’s plenty of criticism about Mendes not being an action director, but he still manages to tell a good story for my money.

--

--

@bondjames, there's plenty of heroes those kinds of traits support, they are around for a reason after all. I think Bond and Batman are impure definitions of knights in different ways, the former being a lustful killer and the latter being a vigilante that vaporizes the bones of his enemies in fights, but both ascribe to some notions of the title. I see this especially with Bond, as there's just more there to support it. He's an Englishmen mounted as a trained killer to hit the battlefield to protect the realm ruled over by his queen. The very obvious overtones of archaic Britishness reflect the royal past of the nation and its connection to horse sat knights.

In many ways the stakes for Bond in the present day wouldn't be too different from what they would be in the medieval period if he were really a knight. SF is essentially the modern day equivalent of a brave knight of the realm running to protect his queen (could be seen as M) as a dangerous enemy cavalry (Silva and his boys) busts their way into their kingdom through Trojan horse tactics to wreak havoc. Knights are very glorified in a symbolic sense and in mythology, but make no mistake, they hacked and slashed to do what must be done to keep their lords and lasses safe, doing what few others could do to sacrifice everything for the survival of their land. The first line of defense, the warriors on foot, trained and ready to face death via and because of their principles. This is very much Bond for me. Even when he's lying with a woman and she gives him a peck goodbye as he's called off to another mission, I feel a symbolic connection is there of a lady giving a piece of her self to a knight as he heads off to battle.
    I can see the symbolism that you describe @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, and the allusion to medieval times. I just don't embrace it in the case of James Bond. It works for Batman due to his backstory which is well known, and his ethics & persona. For me, it's fundamental to his character, as a man motivated by a wrong that was done to him in the past, and his voluntary desire to dedicate his life to ensuring he does what he can to prevent it occurring again. He is a superhero in the truest sense of the word.

I don't see these elements as being fundamental to Bond. He is a trained killer and MI6 spy. A hard drinker, a womanizer, and a man who enjoys the finer things in life knowing he could be killed at any point. He is a man doing his job, nothing more and nothing less. If he survives, one day he will be a pensioner after he retires. That's enough for me.

It is these relatively new backstory elements (right down to the Wayne Manor style mansion with Alfred like Kincaide and its burning to the ground which reminded me uncomfortably of Batman Begins) which I find a little unnecessary.

Again, it was ok as a one off experiment for the anniversary film but I hope that's where it stops with this character.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Born perhaps out of the Roman Praetorian Guards, the historical figure of the Knight was far from pure. Under Charlemagne the Praetorians evolved into the 12 Paladin (who are depicted in modern literature as Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table). Probably the best remembered Knights in History were the Templars (The Order of Solomon’s Temple), crusaders who faded and fell in memory after the fall of Jerusalem. Knights were awarded dominion over territory conquered and local populations subdued. Taking fair maidens and homage in the form of taxes paid, usually starving the surrounding population of what meager foodstuffs they managed to eke from their farmland. Romantic and Victorian literature abounds with visions of idealized knights from El Cid to Don Quixote. The Song of Roland (La Chanson de Roland) depicts the chivalrous and legendary deeds of knighthood, at least in romantic terms. Bond is no less romantic as a hero than the Paladin, except of course that he survives in the end to battle the forces of evil again and again, exactly what we want. Mendes images this very well, particularly during Sciarra’s funeral as Bond is seen in top coat and dark glasses confronting and then rescuing Monica Bellucci who we see as Sciarra’s widow (not to mention Dr. Snow later). Machiavelli shattered the romantic notion of chivalry, and Bond in SF and SP appears more realistically as a knight in modern terms than the idealism of medieval literature. There’s plenty of criticism about Mendes not being an action director, but he still manages to tell a good story for my money.

@Legionnaire, exemplary stuff. You're not a frequent post here, but every time you do choose to share something it's some of the most articulate and well framed arguments I've read on the internet, period. It's also nice that you see some of the same things I do in these films, but are able to take it a step further with your personal knowledge of the real history behind the fabled knights of glorified myth. It's further a joy to see someone who quite refreshingly thinks Mendes can tell a good story (we seem to be a minority these days). While I see Bond as more of a messenger of death in SP, right down to his disguise in the PTS, and feel his use is more as a priest-like man who sinful people confess to (as White and Madeleine do), I do see the knight overtones there as well. Because SF and SP are so London based, the movies really do become about Bond protecting his kingdom. We see him globe-hopping all around in most films since the 60s, so it's nice to get two films that really root him in his adopted home and give him the symbolism of a knight to connect the vintage and modern themes in the film to the history of a knight and Bond's role as a contemporary offshoot of that. The patriotic feelings of SF and SP only continue to drive the point home, especially the former, which is one long series of nationalistic tributes.

--

--

I can see the symbolism that you describe @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, and the allusion to medieval times. I just don't embrace it in the case of James Bond. It works for Batman due to his backstory which is well known, and his ethics & persona. For me, it's fundamental to his character, as a man motivated by a wrong that was done to him in the past, and his voluntary desire to dedicate his life to ensuring he does what he can to prevent it occurring again. He is a superhero in the truest sense of the word.

I don't see these elements as being fundamental to Bond. He is a trained killer and MI6 spy. A hard drinker, a womanizer, and a man who enjoys the finer things in life knowing he could be killed at any point. He is a man doing his job, nothing more and nothing less. If he survives, one day he will be a pensioner after he retires. That's enough for me.

It is these relatively new backstory elements (right down to the Wayne Manor style mansion with Alfred like Kincaide and its burning to the ground which reminded me uncomfortably of Batman Begins) which I find a little unnecessary.

Again, it was ok as a one off experiment for the anniversary film but I hope that's where it stops with this character.

@bondjames, fair points, well argued. I guess I've just never really considered Batman in that way, despite one of his most famous monikers featuring the title of knight. His overtones in character feel more like a feudal ninja to me, in a way, as that feeds directly into his origin and his use of superstition, fear and stealth to get his enemies off balance. The image of a knight feels more apparent with Bond to me, as his nationality connects to the archaic and royal sense of the term knight, whereas Batman has America as his home, which obviously lacks that lineage. One area where I think Batman does feel knight like is his background, though. Just as a noble would be christened a knight, Bruce is very much the noble of Gotham, and in a way, if he were alive in a medieval period in the same circumstances, he could fit the role of a warrior quite well. In a nice spin on the expectation of a knight, however, he chooses to fight from the shadows and prefers to hide his acts rather than go into the light.

I was simply viewing my Bond comparison to knights in the context of Mendes, as both SF and SP are so rooted in London as a place our hero needs to protect that he naturally feels very knight-like. Add in all the patriotic imagery, the notions of Bond serving a "realm," the script's allusions to Arthurian legend through Bond's own "death" in cold water in Turkey, the name of Mallory as his new "king" and references to mythological beasts knights would slay (such as Severine's "Chimera" and how she herself is built as a dragon in the casino scene) and I just sensed a through-line of what those films were trying to say about Bond. It is an interesting examination of Bond for me, and one that felt right when I saw the dots being connected. As I stated above, it was refreshing to have SF and SP really work as London Bond films that took the time to really make our hero feel rooted in them. We see him globe-trotting all the time, but for two movies we get to see him pause in his adopted land and witness the kind of "kingdom" he fights for every time he's abroad facing all the death and danger.

I don't think either Bond or Batman are 100% knights all over, I just feel a greater emphasis on that in the character of the former, not only from a cultural and historical perspective, but also from a sense of character.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Interesting comments. Is there anything to substantiate the idea that Mendes was using the image of the mediaeval knight as a template for Bond in SF?

It makes some sense I suppose but is also the kind of thing you can project onto a wide range of movie heroes.

Clearly Mendes was profoundly 'influenced' (I think that's the polite way of putting it) by Nolan's TDK, but has Mendes explicitly stated he intended SF to have some chivalrous, knightly Arthurian element. Not sure I fully buy it personally, although I'm happy to be proven wrong.

SF for me is an interesting movie and clearly Mendes put a lot of thought and love into it. I want to like it but the end product just doesn't work for me. Seems I feel the same way about SF that a lot of people now feel about SP.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Getafix wrote: »
    Interesting comments. Is there anything to substantiate the idea that Mendes was using the image of the mediaeval knight as a template for Bond in SF?

It makes some sense I suppose but is also the kind of thing you can project onto a wide range of movie heroes.

Clearly Mendes was profoundly 'influenced' (I think that's the polite way of putting it) by Nolan's TDK, but has Mendes explicitly stated he intended SF to have some chivalrous, knightly Arthurian element. Not sure I fully buy it personally, although I'm happy to be proven wrong.

SF for me is an interesting movie and clearly Mendes put a lot of thought and love into it. I want to like it but the end product just doesn't work for me. Seems I feel the same way about SF that a lot of people now feel about SP.

I'd have to listen to the commentary again to see if Mendes confirms anything. I just comment on the kinds of things I see because of the subjectivity of art, and what I feel backs up the idea of Bond being represented as a knight in these films. Mendes has a great intellect and can use theme beautifully, so I don't think such an overriding presence of various elements are accidental.
    I was simply viewing my Bond comparison to knights in the context of Mendes, as both SF and SP are so rooted in London as a place our hero needs to protect that he naturally feels very knight-like. Add in all the patriotic imagery, the notions of Bond serving a "realm," the script's allusions to Arthurian legend through Bond's own "death" in cold water in Turkey, the name of Mallory as his new "king" and references to mythological beasts knights would slay (such as Severine's "Chimera" and how she herself is built as a dragon in the casino scene) and I just sensed a through-line of what those films were trying to say about Bond. It is an interesting examination of Bond for me, and one that felt right when I saw the dots being connected. As I stated above, it was refreshing to have SF and SP really work as London Bond films that took the time to really make our hero feel rooted in them. We see him globe-trotting all the time, but for two movies we get to see him pause in his adopted land and witness the kind of "kingdom" he fights for every time he's abroad facing all the death and danger.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, indeed it is Mendes who introduced this sort of lofty imagery and themes. I can appreciate how a learned student of film would pick up on what he was trying to do consciously. Others may have noticed it subconsciously and it very well may have played into why the earlier film was a massive global boost to Bond box office. SF works on several levels to draw the viewer in, whether it be the beautiful visuals, the strong personal antipathy between M & Silva, the rivalry between Bond and Silva, and these larger patriotic Knight like themes.

However where some, like yourself, may have seen this is as part of the Bond mystique, I saw it as an insertion of elements where none were required or called for. As a 50th anniversary entry, all of this patriotism and allusion to the Middle Ages was perhaps apropos. However, to me the Batman-like aspirations were too evident and again, unnecessary. Moreover, they arguably boxed Mendes in when he returned, where he was forced to try to create some even further resonance in his 2nd kick at the can which fell flat for many.

Ultimately from where I'm sitting, James Bond is a trained loyal killer in her Majesty's employ. He's the best at what he does, but I don't see him in the same heroic sense that I view Batman. The genres are different and the goals for the characters should also be different. When they cross over one must be careful, lest the lines get blurred & the essence of the character is lost.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Good to recognize higher level storytelling at work.
    It's not all about references from recent films we're familiar with or even just Arthurian legend.
    Hero.jpg

Definitely agree on Whishaw and Harris. Ben got the most laughs out of my two SP viewings, and people seemed to love him.

And Harris is the first Moneypenny that I get hot under the collar for, so now I actually get jealous of Bond when he starts his flirting game with her.

I think Dan has had great chemistry with both of them in every scene they've shared.

Spot on Brady ,my old matey...
    I always had a thing for young Maxwell. Prim and proper but with a little bit of a wild side underneath.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,178
    A bit annoyed they didn't carry her over into the Dalton era, given how much Moneypenny was used then. Lois Maxwell wanted to play M in place of Judi Dench, and was apparently very hurt not to but picked.
    I can see why they didn't though, given she was well known as MP. It would have been one heck of a promotion though. She killed the old man and took his job!
    No,Lois Maxwell as M would have been a terrible mistake.
    Yeah, a big mistake, but it would have made more sense that Dench took over once Craig arrived with the reboot.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Many thanks, although truthfully I’ve seen many great posts here and doubt that I could hold a candle to any of those people, who in fact have a much greater understanding of the bond films than I ever will.
    0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Many thanks, although truthfully I’ve seen many great posts here and doubt that I could hold a candle to any of those people, who in fact have a much greater understanding of the bond films than I ever will.

@Legionnaire, you do often add an important context to things, as with the above, in addition to your views on Bond, so I think you sell yourself short. I always learn something every time you post, and that is something to be proud of.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,602
    The sign of a great movie is that you can take it at different levels (Bladerunner is a great example). The fact that this particualr thread is so long, well informed, thoughtful etc , to me, is great evidence that SF , at the very least, attempted to have this depth and multi leveled approach that has been lacking in many many Bonds (could we have the same debate re Diamonds are Forever? )

One other point, even though real life events/threats are not overtly referenced, the themes of London under threat, the enemy within, individual heroism, the essence of Britishness etc etc show a movie very much in touch with modern issues.

SF has not dated at all re these themes and, if anything, its worth re-watching considering our situation re home grown terror ("our enenemies are no longer known to us, they do not exist on a map, they are not nations, they are individuals...do you see a uniform? a flag? no") and the most recent attacks on London and on our way of life.

Its just a great film and, if it was released this year, would have just as much resonance (may be more) with movie fans.
    It's actually a good thing SF came out when it did. If it was to come out later this year, EON would likely be forced to alter it and the images of London based terrorism in reaction to the attacks that've unfolded in the recent time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's actually a good thing SF came out when it did. If it was to come out later this year, EON would likely be forced to alter it and the images of London based terrorism in reaction to the attacks that've unfolded in the recent time.

I doubt it. The horrific tube bombings occurred in 2005, and just seven years later, Bond was enduring the same thing in SF. Granted, not terribly recent, but still a major, impactful event.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Yes but the tube waggon crash was hilarious and comedy gold. No way it reminded anyone in the slightest of 2005.
    Yes but the tube waggon crash was hilarious and comedy gold. No way it reminded anyone in the slightest of 2005.

I'm sure that's entirely false. Not from the UK myself, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a single person from the UK who watched SF and didn't recall the terrorist attacks to some degree.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It felt too artificial and was done so sloppy it reminded me of Batman & Robin.

I found the bombs in the tube waggon in Sherlock way more troubling.
    It felt too artificial and was done so sloppy it reminded me of Batman & Robin.

I found the bombs in the tube waggon in Sherlock way more troubling.

Still doesn't negate the fact that it was a terrorist attack on a London tube station.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I doubt it. The horrific tube bombings occurred in 2005, and just seven years later, Bond was enduring the same thing in SF. Granted, not terribly recent, but still a major, impactful event.

A 7 years difference and something happening in the same year is very different, however. The films released in the year after 9/11 experienced similar censorship, as they do in the event of major attacks on particular ground. I think the attacks of early 2017 would have to have some effect on a Bond film releasing in the same year that depicted similar things.

I'd hope it wouldn't, but again, we're in the world of mass censorship now. Can't risk offending anyone.

A 7 years difference and something happening in the same year is very different, however. The films released in the year after 9/11 experienced similar censorship, as they do in the event of major attacks on particular ground. I think the attacks of early 2017 would have to have some effect on a Bond film releasing in the same year that depicted similar things.

I'd hope it wouldn't, but again, we're in the world of mass censorship now. Can't risk offending anyone.

It is different, but the impact isn't taken away. Again, I'm sure there are plenty of people from the UK who saw SF and had that scene invoke some feelings and memories from the 2005 attack. Hell, I still see movies that prominently feature NYC and 9/11 seems to cross my mind each time.

It is different, but the impact isn't taken away. Again, I'm sure there are plenty of people from the UK who saw SF and had that scene invoke some feelings and memories from the 2005 attack. Hell, I still see movies that prominently feature NYC and 9/11 seems to cross my mind each time.

Of course, but a film coming so long after an event like that wouldn't force a studio to alter a film, just like they don't change New York set films now to avoid 9/11 imagery. The time has passed for censorship of art to be impacted in that way, which is about one to three years after an event happens while it's all still fresh. Over time, people are able to settle back and visions aren't affected any longer.