Your Bond location pilgrimages.

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Piz Gloria is a must see for every fan, I had lunch in the Alpine room. I think I've never had lunch at such height.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Piz Gloria is a must see for every fan, I had lunch in the Alpine room. I think I've never had lunch at such height.

Only chicken?
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

I take it you've never flown in an aeroplane? ;)
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    @JamesBondKenya I've just been on the website and they have a James Bond brunch!

I imagine Piz Gloria is the #1 destination for James Bond fans to visit!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I am planing to go to Piz Gloria around Febuary/March. Any recommendations or Tips?
    I am also going to Bern first, so this will be a OHMSS dedicated Trip, and I will have finally stood in the footsteps of all EON Bond actors.
    stag wrote: »

I take it you've never flown in an aeroplane? ;)

Silly of me :D
    Those mid-air meals are something one tries to forget ;)
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,783
    00Agent wrote: »
    I am planing to go to Piz Gloria around Febuary/March. Any recommendations or Tips?
    I am also going to Bern first, so this will be a OHMSS dedicated Trip, and I will have finally stood in the footsteps of all EON Bond actors.

You could visit the bear pit in Bern, it appears in OHMSS right before they drive into Bern. The bears have been moved to a much nicer place but a Bond location it is nevertheless.
    My white Vauxhall van doesn't quite look as poetic as the DB5.

8649495762_d63ebb7912_c.jpg

It's an amazing part of the country. That was 2013.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,687
    Hi people -

Just today I visited a location of two of my least favourite Bond movies (not to mention Batman Begins and Lara Croft - Tomb Raider): Jökulsárlón (literally, glacial river lagoon) in southern Iceland. It is a lake (actually the deepest in Iceland) that borders the tongue of Breiðamerkurjökull glacier (part of Vatnajökull National Park), with the glacier regularly dropping chunks of ice, aka icebergs, into the water, where they rest until having melted sufficiently to drift out to the ocean through an outlet.

The setting was used first for AVTAK (scene in the PTS with the little submarine picking up Bond) and then in DAD for the Aston/Jaguar race on the ice. The lagoon itself does not normally freeze over. For the filming of DAD, they shut off the outlet thus keeping salt water from coming in, which was enough to provide an ice cover which quickly vanished after they opened the outlet again.

Here are three of the pics I took today (reduced in size - I only have 3G connection tonight):
    jkulsrlon1e4kut.jpg
    jkulsrlon2lgjhv.jpg
    jkulsrlon35uj3z.jpg
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Gosh, that's beautiful.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    My white Vauxhall van doesn't quite look as poetic as the DB5.

8649495762_d63ebb7912_c.jpg

It's an amazing part of the country. That was 2013.

Lol! Still a great photo though!
    I did take another photo of me, standing by the van with my back to the camera, in a similar pose that I'd seen Craig in, in the same spot. Hands in trouser pockets, legs slightly apart, gazing into the valley. But whereas Craig looks like he's steely bracing himself for the oncoming battle, I just looked like I'm taking a piss.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well you are with that Vauhhall ;-) :-D :-D
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Perhaps a daft question, but for those who have been there, are the outside areas of Piz Gloria identifiable from the film? (I'm think thing the curling game scene?)
    When I was there, two years, there were plastic statues of Lazzers all around.

Great pictures from Scotland and Iceland there guys!
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I did take another photo of me, standing by the van with my back to the camera, in a similar pose that I'd seen Craig in, in the same spot. Hands in trouser pockets, legs slightly apart, gazing into the valley. But whereas Craig looks like he's steely bracing himself for the oncoming battle, I just looked like I'm taking a piss.

You have so got to put that photo on here! You would become the stuff of legends! Lol!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @JamesBondKenya I've just been on the website and they have a James Bond brunch!

I imagine Piz Gloria is the #1 destination for James Bond fans to visit!

Yeah they even have 007 stamped on the bloody food
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Hi people -

Just today I visited a location of two of my least favourite Bond movies (not to mention Batman Begins and Lara Croft - Tomb Raider): Jökulsárlón (literally, glacial river lagoon) in southern Iceland. It is a lake (actually the deepest in Iceland) that borders the tongue of Breiðamerkurjökull glacier (part of Vatnajökull National Park), with the glacier regularly dropping chunks of ice, aka icebergs, into the water, where they rest until having melted sufficiently to drift out to the ocean through an outlet.

The setting was used first for AVTAK (scene in the PTS with the little submarine picking up Bond) and then in DAD for the Aston/Jaguar race on the ice. The lagoon itself does not normally freeze over. For the filming of DAD, they shut off the outlet thus keeping salt water from coming in, which was enough to provide an ice cover which quickly vanished after they opened the outlet again.

Here are three of the pics I took today (reduced in size - I only have 3G connection tonight):
    jkulsrlon1e4kut.jpg
    jkulsrlon2lgjhv.jpg
    jkulsrlon35uj3z.jpg
    I assume you aren't able to recognize if there's the same icebergs from the film?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Hi people -

jkulsrlon1e4kut.jpg
    jkulsrlon2lgjhv.jpg
    jkulsrlon35uj3z.jpg
    I assume you aren't able to recognize if there's the same icebergs from the film?

Not a geography major then? Yeah they have just sat there for 15 years unaffected by wind, rain and sea.

Hi people -

jkulsrlon1e4kut.jpg
    jkulsrlon2lgjhv.jpg
    jkulsrlon35uj3z.jpg

Not a geography major then? Yeah they have just sat there for 15 years unaffected by wind, rain and sea.
    I'm afraid not, hopefully next time I can get a thoughtful answer instead of your trademark snark.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    ...I assume you aren't able to recognize if there's the same icebergs from the film?
    No, they keep the original icebergs from 1985 and 2002 in a special outsized freezer and only let them float back and forth for a while on National James Bond Day (Landsvísu Jamesur Bondum Dagur), which is being celebrated every year on 29th February. (Yes, they have a 29th February every year, due to the different time zone.)
    ...I assume you aren't able to recognize if there's the same icebergs from the film?
    No, they keep the original icebergs from 1985 and 2002 in a special outsized freezer and only let them float back and forth for a while on National James Bond Day (Landsvísu Jamesur Bondum Dagur), which is being celebrated every year on 29th February. (Yes, they have a 29th February every year, due to the different time zone.)
    lol.

lol.

Hence why Bond was asking for icecubes, all that Ice belonged to the museum!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would've waited for the owners to bail and immediately broken in with that card. Can't miss an opportunity like that!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    They have tours on Wednesdays, so we will return.
    Has it been updated extensively since the film?

• Birdleson wrote: »
    They have tours on Wednesdays, so we will return.
    Has it been updated extensively since the film?

Through the window, it looks like the inside has been changed. Either that or—more likely—the inside of Stacey's house was actually a set.
    I gave the Son-of-a-Bitch a credit card (I'd even written SHARPER IMAGE on it with a Sharpie) and instructed him to break into that lower left (stage left) window, like Rog, but the damned fool couldn't even manage that simple task.

I tell ya, I threw that credit card at the window as hard as I could and it just wouldn't break. Next time hand me the SHARPER IMAGE brick.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 12,506
    That's @Some_Kind_Of_Hero in front of Stacey Sutton's House (Dunsmuir House). We went there earlier today and they wouldn't let us in. I gave the Son-of-a-Bitch a credit card (I'd even written SHARPER IMAGE on it with a Sharpie) and instructed him to break into that lower left (stage left) window, like Rog, but the damned fool couldn't even manage that simple task.

It is certainly a bucolic looking site for being located in Oakland, but believe me, three blocks out and you are in the recognizable murder capital that we know and recognize.

That's a great picture Birdleson!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was wondering if the foyer was part of the house or a separate set, as well.
  • It's a separate set. Just looking at the picture there you can tell there isn't room inside for that spacious foyer.
    cool picture!