007 Nightfire Appreciation

1457910

Comments

  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    00Agent wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    Dominique getting kicked off the Phoenix Tower helipad, tho...
    Hated Drake thoroughly for killing her when I was a kid. Heck, I was eight years old.

    yeah i remember, that was quite a shocking moment back then...
    and the following escape through Drakes building was one of my favorite parts on the PC version. Very intense. Reminded me a lot of Die Hard.
    @00Agent, when we get to the stairwell in the PC version, I climbed to the top floor just to get to Drake and kill him to avenge Dominique. I was pretty much bummed to find out the door was locked. :))

    haha thats a good idea though, i never thought of that.
    The stairwell did confused me a bit the first time around, i did not know which direction to go
    Took me a while to process. I mean floor after floor, goon after goon, and the thing is, the AI wasn't designed well. You'd have to deliver three rounds of headshots to kill them, and that's only the least of the problems... Back then...

    Now, I'm pretty much a "god" at that game. :D
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Posts: 5,180
    00Agent wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    Dominique getting kicked off the Phoenix Tower helipad, tho...
    Hated Drake thoroughly for killing her when I was a kid. Heck, I was eight years old.

    yeah i remember, that was quite a shocking moment back then...
    and the following escape through Drakes building was one of my favorite parts on the PC version. Very intense. Reminded me a lot of Die Hard.
    @00Agent, when we get to the stairwell in the PC version, I climbed to the top floor just to get to Drake and kill him to avenge Dominique. I was pretty much bummed to find out the door was locked. :))

    haha thats a good idea though, i never thought of that.
    The stairwell did confused me a bit the first time around, i did not know which direction to go
    Took me a while to process. I mean floor after floor, goon after goon, and the thing is, the AI wasn't designed well. You'd have to deliver three rounds of headshots to kill them, and that's only the least of the problems... Back then...

    Now, I'm pretty much a "god" at that game. :D

    yes, some goons took quite a few headshots before they went down.
    Invisible helmets or something like that i guess ;)
    i hope we will ever get a game that is equally as good and epic as Nightfire...
    some came close, like EoN, but weren't quite there.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,142
    I must say I also loved FRWL. I mean, playing as Sir Sean in a 1960's setting. That's just unbeatable.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 13,101
    Being able to swap out clothes was my favourite aspect of FRWL. Nothing beats Bond going into battle in his dinner jacket.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    I'd give anything to have a DN-FRWL era Sean Connery Bond video game with original story. I'd be on top of the world if that ends up being a third person shooter with ambitious features as done in FRWL the video game.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,180
    I'd give anything to have a DN-FRWL era Sean Connery Bond video game with original story. I'd be on top of the world if that ends up being a third person shooter with ambitious features as done in FRWL the video game.

    i can understand why some people would want a game like that, but i honestly believe that EA did the right thing by adapting FRWL instead of making an original game, also the game was more a celebration of the whole Connery era and not just FRWL.
    If they made an Original game, it simply would have never been good enough.
    Connery's movies were Original, and to many people the gold standard, and a newly created storyline in the 90's or 00's that attempts to recreate that, would have only been a copy of that and i don't think it could have ever worked out.
    Or at least the chance of coming up with something that is worthy enough, is so extremely low that no one will ever try that.
    I think even FRWL the way it is, was originally looked at as a disappointment...
    only now people seem to realize how good and uniqe it was

    Edit:
    Also it has an incredibly significant historical importance that some people and Fans (who don't play Video games apparently) seem to have completely missed to this day, which is that this game is proof that Connery made his peace with Bond, and is now even able to enjoy what he created all those years ago...
  • Posts: 352
    Let's get back on topic: Nightfire.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Just a made quick Nightfire desktop icon. Anyone would be welcome to use it.

    dVUvEn8.png
  • Posts: 70
    Has anyone played the overlooked, but technically impressive Gameboy Advance version of Nightfire. It's sort of a mix between the PC and Console versions but it's so difficult to play once you get into the later levels.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Gummy wrote: »
    Has anyone played the overlooked, but technically impressive Gameboy Advance version of Nightfire. It's sort of a mix between the PC and Console versions but it's so difficult to play once you get into the later levels.
    I have. Great game overall for a platform it's made on. Superior to EoN.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Posts: 2,966
    Gummy wrote: »
    Has anyone played the overlooked, but technically impressive Gameboy Advance version of Nightfire. It's sort of a mix between the PC and Console versions but it's so difficult to play once you get into the later levels.

    I fired this up recently in a fit of retrogaming and I cannot get beyond the first level. I'm giving it a couple more tries before I cheat and consult the internet.

    (I also discovered that I must have borrowed the cartridge from a friend over a decade ago and never given it back, because there's a save file in his name. Oops.)
  • Posts: 70
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I fired this up recently in a fit of retrogaming and I cannot get beyond the first level. I'm giving it a couple more tries before I cheat and consult the internet.

    (I also discovered that I must have borrowed the cartridge from a friend over a decade ago and never given it back, because there's a save file in his name. Oops.)

    It takes a while to get used to the slow controls but when you learn it you will pass the first level. But beyond the second mission the game becomes very hard. You get both the sniping section from the console Chain Reaction which is very hard and the water level from the PC version. The version of Night Shift in the GBA version makes the PC version look easy by comparison because in this version you immediately fail when a guard see you and you have to do the mission in a very specific order in terms of using the limited gadgets or you'll fail.

  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,183
    Here's a little something I made in honor of one of the best Bond games ever made. :-bd
    n766yWE.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    A very nonpareil work of art, @Murdock! :D
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,183
    Thank you @ClarkDevlin, I always do my best. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    ...and succeed at it, my compliments, sir. :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 13,101
    I don't now if anyone has seen this, but:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/david-mooney/why-james-bond-nightfire_b_18176740.html

    I can't believe it has been 15 years. After following its development in OPS2 magazine, I can still remember the day I went to buy my copy in Electronics Boutique. 15 years on, and look at the state of the gaming licence. Where'd it go wrong? Activision and their COD clones didn't help. I wouldn't go as far as to call it the best game ever, but it's definitely the best Bond game ever.
  • Posts: 3,336
    My favourite Bond game.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 6,142
    My favourite Bond game.

    Mine too!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Posts: 2,635
    Its my 2nd favourite Bond game (only loses to Goldeneye) but it is the best PS2 Bond game they could ever do. Everything Or Nothing is awesome, but the first person choice and the feeling of you being James Bond himself (and not just controling him - you know what I mean here), its something incredible.

    I love how the Nightfire multiplayer its almost as similar as the N64 version of TWINE's. You can play alone on these levels and shoot the hell out of the bots through hours (except for the part you can't change their teams, like you can do in TWINE. That'd be great - Imagine Bond as a Phoenix...? :P ).
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,724
    Dominique getting kicked off the Phoenix Tower helipad, tho...

    That was such a cool cutscene. "I'd ask you to join us Mr Bond but why waste good caviar on a man who won't live long enough to enjoy it". And Bond rolling off the helipad as the bullets fly around him then falling and grabbing the lift at the last second, and then that leads into a level that's basically Die Hard with James Bond and the Yakuza.

    Such a good game. It nailed every aspect of Bond's world. If anyone reading this has either only played the newer games, or only played GE on the Nintendo, then I can't encourage you enough to dust off or seek out an old ps2 and give Nightfire a chance. I've seen it in CEX before for something like 50p and while it's old, it's aged brilliantly and is almost the perfect Bond game. It isn't as groundbreaking as GE but it's better in pretty much every way imo.

    @MajorDSmythe thanks for that article, took me right back. It really is criminally underrated.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    It's definitely about time we got another Nightfire. That game is an absolute gem and has to be celebrated by larger amount of people than simply realized as a Bond game. It's one hell of a first person shooter. And very well thought out, planned, concepted and executed. There's a reason why for me and many others it's the best James Bond game.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,183
    It's always been a dream of mine, but I'd love it if the levels from GoldenEye64 were remade on the PS2 engine of Nightfire.
  • Posts: 70
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's always been a dream of mine, but I'd love it if the levels from GoldenEye64 were remade on the PS2 engine of Nightfire.

    If only the PC version wasn't made by a separate developer and was instead a port of the console version... We could've mod it and create new levels...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Gummy wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's always been a dream of mine, but I'd love it if the levels from GoldenEye64 were remade on the PS2 engine of Nightfire.

    If only the PC version wasn't made by a separate developer and was instead a port of the console version... We could've mod it and create new levels...
    Hear hear!

    The only way I could describe the PC version was that it was a remake of Agent Under Fire with NF's storyline and characters. The level designs were very identical as were the maps, sounds, some 3D model objects (like a telephone, chair, computer) were even extracted directly from AUF.
  • Posts: 70
    Anyone here play CS:GO? I made a Snowblind map remake for it a month a couple months ago. I have no plans to develop it further as it's my first map but the basic layout is done.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1115402257
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Happy 15th Anniversary to the best Bond video game of all time!

    1316670-background_02.jpg
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,724
    God. 15 years. Think I'm due another playthrough.

    Love that artwork @ClarkDevlin (did you make it yourself?). NF is full of memorable characters and action scenes and it all comes together so well. It's the only Bond game that I think could have made a great film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Indeed. How time flies. :D

    Unfortunately I can't take credit for it, @thelivingroyale. I believe this artwork appears during the end credits on the console version.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 13,101
    Don't tell me it has been 15 years since Nightfire was released. There is no way that it has been 15 years.
Sign In or Register to comment.