Would you accept a black Bond?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Craig's casting has been and still is offensive to some, so you're right about that. Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know Craig is still not universally loved despite his success and a lot of people still point out his his physical differences to his predecessors.

But there's quite a large leap from changing hair colour, eye colour and height to changing a character's race. So, just imagine what that would be like.

Not really sure why people keep calling Idris sauve. He comes across as much of a brute, if not more, as Craig did in his earlier "becoming Bond" stories. He's a fine actor when cast right all the same, but that element of him escapes me. It doesn't help that beyond Stringer Bell and Luthor, he just seems to play varying versions of himself - some are just less shoutier than others.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've seen some on here sincerely loathe the idea of a gay actor playing a straight Bond, which makes absolutely zero sense to me.

My preferred choice for a future Bond (although unlikely now because of his age), is Luke Evans - who happens to be gay. I can't understand those who have an issue with a gay actor playing Bond. As long as the interpretation of the character is good, how can it be a problem?

Regarding a black actor, it depends on the actor in question (as with every candidate for the part). If a young, charismatic actor who ticks all the boxes happens to be the best candidate for the role, I wouldn't have many issues with it.

I don't think Luke Evans has the right face for Bond but he plays heterosexuals very convincingly. And he's a very solid actor. If another gay actor can be as good and look the part then I'd be all for him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Craig's casting has been and still is offensive to some, so you're right about that. Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know Craig is still not universally loved despite his success and a lot of people still point out his his physical differences to his predecessors.

But there's quite a large leap from changing hair colour, eye colour and height to changing a character's race. So, just imagine what that would be like.

Not really sure why people keep calling Idris sauve. He comes across as much of a brute, if not more, as Craig did in his earlier "becoming Bond" stories. He's a fine actor when cast right all the same, but that element of him escapes me. It doesn't help that beyond Stringer Bell and Luthor, he just seems to play varying versions of himself - some are just less shoutier than others.

Within the past year, I have re-watched American Gangster-- which has two explosive performances from Denzel and Russell Crowe...

However, this re-watch also showed me that Idris can't swim with the big fishes; I used to say he has the Connery animalistic coolness about him. Then I watched this film and he got utterly blown off the screen-- IMHO-- utterly blown away when he shared scenes with Denzel.

I hadn't seen such a mismatch in acting talent since Daniel Day Lewis decimated his co-stars in Gangs of New York.

Denzel made Idris look like a novice. Idris "acted" like a bad ass. Denzel just was.

And, unfortunately for me, I have not enjoyed Idris in anything since.
    All this talk about "anything is possible " (as long as they are a good actor) I find hard to understand. A female Bond? Bond in a wheelchair? Bond in his 80s? You have to draw certain "red lines" around the character otherwise, surely, it becomes a farce.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    All this talk about "anything is possible " (as long as they are a good actor) I find hard to understand. A female Bond? Bond in a wheelchair? Bond in his 80s? You have to draw certain "red lines" around the character otherwise, surely, it becomes a farce.

well said.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've seen some on here sincerely loathe the idea of a gay actor playing a straight Bond, which makes absolutely zero sense to me.

My preferred choice for a future Bond (although unlikely now because of his age), is Luke Evans - who happens to be gay. I can't understand those who have an issue with a gay actor playing Bond. As long as the interpretation of the character is good, how can it be a problem?

Regarding a black actor, it depends on the actor in question (as with every candidate for the part). If a young, charismatic actor who ticks all the boxes happens to be the best candidate for the role, I wouldn't have many issues with it.

I don't think Luke Evans has the right face for Bond but he plays heterosexuals very convincingly. And he's a very solid actor. If another gay actor can be as good and look the part then I'd be all for him.

I think Evans looks very Bondian, but this only highlights how different people see actors. I've never warmed to Craig Bond, for example.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The constant drumbeat to change Bond's complexion is indeed getting a bit tiresome.
    cQ5Dt64.gif

Having said that, I can appreciate the continued appeal of Elba as the poster boy for such perspectives. I'm of the opinion that he has something to him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Yes, very well said.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Imagine the uproar if they did a "Shaft reboot" and they gave the role to Henry Cavill? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Or perhaps Elba as Miss Marple (he is a good actor after all)
    There really is no debate here
    Imagine the uproar if they did a "Shaft reboot" and they gave the role to Henry Cavill? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? There really is no debate here

This is a great comparison, but , often, when presented there will be those who rationalize that it's "different"; well it's not.
    How about, Jackie Chan is, John Shaft?

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,602
    "Dame Maggie Smith is.......John Shaft!"
    There was a lot of ridicule when British white actor Joseph Fiennes played Michael 'was black but changed to white' Jackson in a tv comedy show. There was so much ridicule and outcry the comedy was pulled from Sky tv broadcast.

fiennes-plays-michael-jackson-watch-trailer-82795b64-6ad2-42fe-8d5c-3121c0df8988.jpg?crop=900:600&width=440
    “This is territory that is sensitive,” Fiennes previously said of the role after he was accused of “whitewashing” the singer. “One must determine if this portrayal is one that is going to be positive entertainment, and one that will not bring about division and put anyone’s noses out of joint, so I went with the mind that this was a positive light-hearted comedy.”

To be fair, I think we have to have a distinction between playing a real person rather than a fictional character?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,983
    This "debate", as do others, ends up being a dog chasing it's own tail; in the end there is no right or wrong, it's a matter of preference. I don't fault anyone who feels Bond can be played by an actor of any race or gender, I just don't agree and don't want to be faulted for that, particular when it ends with an "ist" or a "phobe"
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 520
    PussyNoMore would absolutely welcome the right black actor as Bond and Idris Elba is back in the news again as a potential successor to Craig.
    Elba is a fine actor and has all of the charisma and physical presence to carry off the role and in many ways he shares a lot of Connery’s characteristics. He is handsome, moves like a cat and is tough but with a twinkle in his eye.
    That said, this could have been an interesting idea fifteen years ago. Today, he is just way too old to take on the mantle of Bond. Right now, he is 45. By the time he straps on the PPK he will be 48. By the time he finishes a 4 picture deal he will be at least 56 !
    In PussyNoMore’s not so humble opinion, the optimum age to start as Bond is probably 30 (Lazenby), one could probably be flexible for a super fit 40 year old but beyond that .......... come on, it’s for the read and laugh file.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,622
    In answer to the question posed in the opening post, the answer is No, for reasons posted quite well by others here.
    In PussyNoMore’s not so humble opinion, the optimum age to start as Bond is probably 30 (Lazenby),
    Yes this is optimum age. See Connery (31-32) and Lazenby -the two most convincing Bonds IMO.
    Both had the right look and requisite physicality. Both moved exceptionally well. Both of course were naturally athletic. This age gives the right actor opportunity to grow in the role and be retired by Age 45. Fleming's 00 section mandatory retirement age, which make perfect sense for a host of reasons.
    Moore, Dalts and Broz all had the right look, but all debuted at 40+, and none moved particularly well. Mind you, I don't think Rog ever moved well. Never mind 40+. He was not an athletic person.
    Craig has been quite good, despite not having the right look, but still should be considered a one-off ( ie going forward stick with the classic look)
    DC though, has at least brought the physicality back to the role. His portrayal of Bond I find both convincing and enervating - brings back echoes of the Connery menace.
    I'd rank Craig, performance-wise, best among the Connery-Lazenby successors, but going forward, please let's get back to basics.
    As @DarthDimi says, there is no shortage of actors who fit the right look and age range.
    We only need but one, who can also pull off the performance.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    SharkBait wrote: »
    If they find the right actor, then I don't know why not. Anything's possible and even though one thing that maybe should be kept is Bond's ethnicity and that he's portrayed as englishman.

But... if the right british actoc comes along and he's black...then why not? It would just need some adjusting, but if the portrayal is good and the movies are good, then maybe that might happen and I'd be okay with it.

portrayed as an Englishman? what you mean as with Connery's 'English' accent?

Brosnan sounded like Seamus O'Bond half the time.

And okay Dalton was never anything other than English, but I'm not sure his lapses into Lancastrian were really nailing it on the characterisation front

Otherwise I agree with you.

but it's worth bearing in mind how much the Fleming character has been played around with already.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »
    If they find the right actor, then I don't know why not. Anything's possible and even though one thing that maybe should be kept is Bond's ethnicity and that he's portrayed as englishman.

But... if the right british actoc comes along and he's black...then why not? It would just need some adjusting, but if the portrayal is good and the movies are good, then maybe that might happen and I'd be okay with it.

And okay Dalton was never anything other than English, but I'm not sure his lapses into Lancastrian were really nailing it on the characterisation front

but it's worth bearing in mind how much the Fleming character has been played around with already.

Brosnan didn't have even a hint of Irish in his accent when he was Bond. Not sure what kind of Irishmen you've been hanging around with, but we certainly don't sound like that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Brosnan didn't have even a hint of Irish in his accent when he was Bond. Not sure what kind of Irishmen you've been hanging around with, but we certainly don't sound like that.

Agree other than a micro second of an inflection of Irish, I have English, Irish and Welsh and Scottish grandparents. All none English Bond actors had micro moments when there accent appeared.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    It could work in a context... ;)

CR2027.png
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    Murdock wrote: »
    ChickenStu wrote:
    To all those who are opposed to it I say this "THESE ARE ONLY MOVIES. WHO CARES?"

Dedicated fans of the source material. And they aren't just movies. For many of us they are part of our lives.

Exactly. James Bond has been a companion for 20 years now, since I watched GoldenEye on TV. It was a door to the English language and British culture, and whenever I look at any item of my collection the person or the moment behind it, which goes far beyond "only movies".

For the Elba Army, Bond films are "only movies". They don't care about the character like us. They want to make it black on a whim.

Before someone calls me racist, here's a list of movies starring black actors I have enjoyed: The Pursuit of Happiness, Collateral Beauty, Man on Fire, Collateral (ok, it's Cruise but Jamie Foxx has a leading role too).
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425

Okay not quite “Oirish” but his mid Atlantic accent definitely has strong hints of his Irish origins.

Trust me - Brosnan doesn’t have an English accent.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,043

Okay not quite “Oirish” but his mid Atlantic accent definitely has strong hints of his Irish origins.

Transatlantic is how I'd describe it, for me it was one of the big turn off's of his Bond for me.

I think, with hindsight, a big opportunity has been lost with the franchise having some fun with all of the gossip and expectations. Elba as another double 0 agent would have worked fine and, perhaps, a focus on him within a PTS doing lots of Bondian stuff would have been great fun.
  • What about a Bond that's black on the inside but white on the outside! He's street-wise, he's gansta, well-mannered, articulate and snobbish. Ooh, what about a Bond that has impetigo. Lol - they won't change his race.

So who has an English accent?
    Moore and Craig I guess
    Connery had a Scottish Burr.
    Laz kind of covered his Aussie accent.

So that leaves Dalton. What was his accent?
    Welsh?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    timmer wrote: »

Moore and Craig I guess

Welsh?

English, I guess. T-Dalts was born in Wales (Colwyn Bay), but grew up in Northern England (hence the brief accent slip in LTK).
  • peterpeter Toronto

Moore and Craig I guess

Welsh?

English, I guess. T-Dalts was born in Wales (Colwyn Bay), but grew up in Northern England (hence the brief accent slip in LTK).

I still loved that slip, “you were just in time, things were about to get naastay “... don’t know why, but he just seems very natural and relaxed in the scene (I think Dalton was at his best with Davi).

Moore and Craig I guess

Welsh?

Dalton’s accent is 100% English. As pointed out above he was born in Wales but that’s it. He grew up in England.

I have a feeling his dad was in the SAS or secret service or something and that he has Italian heritage - which shows I guess in his looks.

His RP accent slips quite often though to reveal his northern English origins.

I think he dropped out of RADA after only a year because they were obsessed at the time with getting young British actors to drop their regional accents.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,302
    Is RP English a difficult accent for people with other English dialects to get right? As I'm not English myself, it's difficult to notice if an accent slips.
This discussion has been closed.