Is Bond the worst spy in the world in Skyfall?

Comments

Frankly Dench is capable of upstaging virtually any actor she shares the screen with. I know I'm in the minority but I'll miss her.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She was OK, but hardly a father figure or even commanding the same respect as the former M s.
    Im not sure Dench should have come back at all for the DC era,i would have let her go once Brosnan's time was up and brought in a new M then.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, but better late than never.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I think Dench was one of rare decent bits of casting from the Brosnan era. I just think she ended up being massively overused.

I am not overly bothered about continuity, so wasn't bothered that she survived the reboot.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Dench was the second best M after Lee IMO (nothing against Brown but he seemed merely functional).
    Although I don't care too much about narrative continuity between Bond actors, I think it's nice that there has always been some overlap between the cast. If Dench hadn't been in CR, then that would have been the first total break in the casting since the start of the series.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    And now that we have a new M the question that we need to ask ourselves is can we Bond trust him ??.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    And now that we have a new M the question that we need to ask ourselves is can we Bond trust him ??.

Don't you mean - can M finally trust Bond?

I hope so! No more 'trust' issues between M and Bond - PLEASE!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The old M come the end put her trust in bond 100% and look where that got her! The new M as was mentioned earlier got just what he wanted I don't think he will trust Bond fully just yet but I'm more interested to see what Bond thinks of his new boss and just how much faith he has in him.
    Let's not forget that Silva's action nearly destroyed MI6, or at least put it under severe external control and may have triggered the abolition of the 00 section. So when though this was secondary for him, his revenge on M had severe consequences.
    Do you think Logan will pick up on all that stuff?

I think he will do.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote:
    Do you think Logan will pick up on all that stuff?

I think he will do.

Yes, I think MI6 will still be recovering and it will inform the internal politics of the organisation and external perception. My guess is that Bond and 'M' will have a strong connection, with an 'it's us against the world, or at least the PM' mentality.

chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    in Silva's perverse mindset, HE had to be the one that killed her - remember what he told his men "No one touch her, she is mine!"... anything otherwise and he would've felt cheated out of his life's mission - which is why he couldn't bring himself to kill her at the end..

Bottom line, Purvis & Wade handed in a mediocre script with recycled stuff from TWINE (but updated) & Logan did his best to punch it up ....

I very much suspect it's just the other way around. I also suspect that some people will have a lot of excuses to do regarding P&W,when they have seen what Logan delivers when he's solely responsible!
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:
    in Silva's perverse mindset, HE had to be the one that killed her - remember what he told his men "No one touch her, she is mine!"... anything otherwise and he would've felt cheated out of his life's mission - which is why he couldn't bring himself to kill her at the end..

Bottom line, Purvis & Wade handed in a mediocre script with recycled stuff from TWINE (but updated) & Logan did his best to punch it up ....

I very much suspect it's just the other way around. I also suspect that some people will have a lot of excuses to do regarding P&W,when they have seen what Logan delivers when he's solely responsible!

Are you a P&W fan?

I have to admit, I tend to blame them for everything I don't like in recent Bond movies, which is perhaps slightly unfair.
    Getafix wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Are you a P&W fan?

I have to admit, I tend to blame them for everything I don't like in recent Bond movies, which is perhaps slightly unfair.

Are you kidding? He's not even a Bond fan!
    Getafix wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Are you a P&W fan?

"Fan" would be stretching things quite a bit, but I indeed do feel that they are getting quite some unfair share of criticism here and elsewhere. The fact remains that's their first Bond work was the last Bond movie with a coherent and (almost) plotholefree script. I am also absolutely convinced that's the second part of DAD was not their fault at all, since I find it hard to imagine that you conceive such a serious beginning just to make a 180 in the middle of the movie. To me it was top brass having a change of heart and telling them to make a classic MR like script just to cover all bases and tick all boxes (just like in CR a few years later).
    Regarding SF - well, for all we know Mendes and Logan changed the complete script from Shanghai on and coincidentally this is the point where the script completely falls apart (not that it had been free of criticism before)
    Getafix wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Are you a P&W fan?

Bad,bad Matt Helm. Daring to clinch to his own opinion and think his own thoughts. Imagine that!
    Lucky you, that things like that never happen in your family.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    HASEROT wrote:

Are you a P&W fan?

Bad,bad Matt Helm. Daring to clinch to his own opinion and think his own thoughts. Imagine that!
    Lucky you, that things like that never happen in your family.

Or because you've not once posted anything positive about Bond or even commented on one of the other 22 films in the 9 months since I've been on here.;

"Oh look it's another Skyfail thread. I must go on there and be really negative because I have no originality. Wah-wah-wah."
    Anyone, who has got the intellectual capability to understand them, may read through my posts to make his own mind up. This of course might exclude you,but still feel free to do so too.
    Ridiculous!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Anyone, who has got the intellectual capability to understand them, may read through my posts to make his own mind up. This of course might exclude you,but still feel free to do so too.
    Ridiculous!

That rules you out then.
    Ahhh, I get it now! Then in Bond 24 he'll be revealed as Lord Voldemort and makes it his mission to kill Bond with the Avada Kedavra curse to insure his secret is kept and his plan for domestic control of Britain is assured. Or something like that... :-\"
    Bond was in on it, or at least very glad to finally get rid of the old hag, that´s why he says, "with pleasure, M, with pleasure"!
    She was OK, but hardly a father figure or even commanding the same respect as the former M s.
    She didn´t need to be a father figure. Mysoginist Bond having a female boss provided for enough entertaining tension.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Anyone, who has got the intellectual capability to understand them, may read through my posts to make his own mind up.
    @Matt_Helm, I challenge you! Enough of these razor sharp points hidden beneath layers of caustic and deflecting (half) wit and sarcastic skulduggery! Speak plainly, and without extreme prejudice! Attempt to disengage your verbal talons from the virtual necks of those who would disagree with you, and engage this site and its many patrons with a more positive & playful display of intellectual Counter-Riposte!
    Can you do that, sir?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Anyone, who has got the intellectual capability to understand them, may read through my posts to make his own mind up.
    @Matt_Helm, I challenge you! Enough of these razor sharp points hidden beneath layers of caustic and deflecting (half) wit and sarcastic skulduggery! Speak plainly, and without extreme prejudice! Attempt to disengage your verbal talons from the virtual necks of those who would disagree with you, and engage this site and its many patrons with a more positive & playful display of intellectual Counter-Riposte!
    Can you do that, sir?

So I am supposed to simply turn the other cheek?
    Read his posts above mine and then tell why I should.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Doublepost.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Doublepost.
  • RC7RC7
    chrisisall wrote:
    Speak plainly

I'm glad it's not just me who was having trouble wading through the layers of riddles.

On a more series note, @Matt_Helm, you'd seriously do yourself a favour by attempting, as best you can, to engage in some positive discussions regards Bond. Not SF, you clearly despise it, but any of the rest of the canon. Whatever logic you feel you are bringing to the table is lost under the weight of your constant vitriol. I've no doubt you've read the novels, seen the films numerous times, etc etc, so I'm sure you've worthwhile things to contribute. I just don't get why it always seems to be about how epically shite SF is. Honestly, if it was me, I'd be bored with myself.

To be fair, most of the above comments regarding scripts don´t make a lot of sense. Regardless of who commented.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    So I am supposed to simply turn the other cheek?
    Read his posts above mine and then tell why I should.
    Ummm... because the journey is more fun without long range sensors on & shields up all the time....?
    boldfinger wrote:
    She didn´t need to be a father figure. Mysoginist Bond having a female boss provided for enough entertaining tension.

I always wonder why many people complain about M not being a man, while Bond's ultimate boss has always been, since Fleming, a woman.