Is Thunderball Overrated?

Comments

My 2 cents: Yes, really overrated.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2014 Posts: 9,117
    Just been trawling through this and a few choice quotes stand out:
    FoxRox wrote: »
    at least the silliness of the jetpack was amusing and not completely horrible. I was very impressed with that scene overall; just a classic, top 10 PTS for me

Cant help wonder if you'd be saying this if it was Brozza jetting around? The fact that the jetpack is actually real and works doesnt stop it being crap and taking us way too far away from Fleming.
    timmer wrote: »
    TB I rate as maybe the most perfectly crafted Bond film of all time.

'Perfectly crafted'? Appalling continuity errors, sloppy editing, shoddy sped up footage, characters being voiced by the wrong actor in dubbing? Need I go on? Rather than being crafted it has the appearance of hastily being thrown together to meet a release date. Is it any wonder the gap between films went to 2 years after TB?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Maybe even the best action movie, period.

Seriously? I think Raiders, Die Hard and T2 might beg to differ. Not to mention half of the Bonds. Some of the underwater stuff is decent but the only jaw dropping stunt in the film is George Leech hanging onto the hydrofoil. The truck chase in Raiders alone beats all of TB's action combined.
    I guess it all comes down to the fact that audiences didn't want to see 007 playing golf and watching a villain eat fruit alongside a road.

The words of an imbecile.

The golf game is absolute classic Bond and better than 95% of scenes in TB (only the SPECTRE briefing and the death of Fiona come anywhere near for me).

'A villain eating fruit alongside the road' is reason that TB is better than GF? This scene lasts what - 30 seconds? While we're talking about dull moments why not mention Bond spending half the film lying around at a health farm or flouncing around the Bahamas and endless plodding underwater scenes?

TB has some good moments which could be regarded as classic (most of the scenes involving Fiona, the early SPECTRE stuff - and I'm including the entire heist of the bomb here before the repetitive underwater stuff gets tedious, the attack on Palmyra) but after a decent first half it starts to run out of steam and just becomes more and more bloated and dull culminating in a climax that on paper sounds amazing but in reality goes on forever and as Terence Young himself said 'Theres only so many times you can cut someones air pipe or rip their mask off before it becomes dull'.

On top of all the that the plot is seriously devoid of any tension. The whole thing hinges on Bouvard hitting Bond with the poker. If Bond doesnt get hit with the poker he doesnt go to Shrublands and see Angelo/Derval so when the bombs get taken M sends him to Canada with Group Captain Pritchard and SPECTRE succeed. Any plot that hinges so fundamentally on a coincidence is deeply flawed.

But even overlooking this, where is the sense of any sort of drama and impending doom? There are just a few days before a nuclear warhead will go off and what's Bond doing? On a club 18-30 holiday with Domino.

And even at the climax SPECTRE never even get close to detonating the bombs. The closest we get to disaster is Miami and all that takes place off camera and is resolved by one line to Felix from Bond!!!

I think a nuclear bomb about to go off in a city full of people has rather more tension as a climax than one about to go off in the middle of nowhere under the sea. And it cant even go off anyway because Kotze reveals he has thrown the fuses into the sea FFS!

Some people have used a food analogy and I think it is fairly apposite with regard to TB. Sometimes you are starving and a massive KFC bucket hits the spot - its not sophisticated but it fills you up. On the other hand though sometimes you would prefer scallops fried in garlic butter - less being exquisitely more. DN (massively underrated), FRWL and, to a lesser extent, GF all leave you less full but more satisfied. And in terms of entertainment and spectacle YOLT also delivers more. For me TB edges just slightly behind YOLT but significantly ahead of DAF as Connery's 5th best Bond.
  • You're about as subtle as a "brick through a plate glass window" @Wiz. ;-)

But I do agree with your points regarding TB.
    Getafix wrote: »

As others have said, TB arrives at an odd and abrupt, anti-climactic ending. It just doesn't hold up well against the first three films in the series, which are indeed, better directed, structured and edited.

I disagree with a lot of what you said, but this bit especially. TB has a far better ending than GF, with Bond doing actually some work instead of mainly standing around, the fight between him and Largo is far more suspenseful than the one against Oddjob (where Bond is mainly tossed around), their antagonism far better built and the Bond girl far more developed than Pussy Galore. I would take TB over GF any day.
    You're about as subtle as a "brick through a plate glass window" @Wiz. ;-)

But I do agree with your points regarding TB.

Better that than no stopping power and fitting nicely in a lady's handbag old son!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 14,834
    Maybe even the best action movie, period.

Seriously? I think Raiders, Die Hard and T2 might beg to differ. Not to mention half of the Bonds. Some of the underwater stuff is decent but the only jaw dropping stunt in the film is George Leech hanging onto the hydrofoil. The truck chase in Raiders alone beats all of TB's action combined.

On top of all the that the plot is seriously devoid of any tension. The whole thing hinges on Bouvard hitting Bond with the poker. If Bond doesnt get hit with the poker he doesnt go to Shrublands and see Angelo/Derval so when the bombs get taken M sends him to Canada with Group Captain Pritchard and SPECTRE succeed. Any plot that hinges so fundamentally on a coincidence is deeply flawed.

But even overlooking this, where is the sense of any sort of drama and impending doom? There are just a few days before a nuclear warhead will go off and what's Bond doing? On a club 18-30 holiday with Domino.

And even at the climax SPECTRE never even get close to detonating the bombs. The closest we get to disaster is Miami and all that takes place off camera and is resolved by one line to Felix from Bond!!!

I think a nuclear bomb about to go off in a city full of people has rather more tension as a climax than one about to go off in the middle of nowhere under the sea. And it cant even go off anyway because Kotze reveals he has thrown the fuses into the sea FFS!

Some people have used a food analogy and I think it is fairly apposite with regard to TB. Sometimes you are starving and a massive KFC bucket hits the spot - its not sophisticated but it fills you up. On the other hand though sometimes you would prefer scallops fried in garlic butter - less being exquisitely more. DN (massively underrated), FRWL and, to a lesser extent, GF all leave you less full but more satisfied. And in terms of entertainment and spectacle YOLT also delivers more. For me TB edges just slightly behind YOLT but significantly ahead of DAF as Connery's 5th best Bond.

I find TB far superior to Die Hard and T2, but then again the first one, although good is a rather light version of a far superior novel and T2 is a repetition of the first movie, which is by the way far superior. And in T2's case, it is another genre entirely, more like a paranoid scifi movie than an action movie per se. For Raiders, that depends of everybody's taste, but I will always have a preference for the movie that paved the way. And TB did in many ways, as a popcorn action movie. I very strongly disagree with your assumption that Bouvar poking Bond was the reason why he ended up in Shrubland. In the movie, it is not developed, in the novels we know it was on M's orders. And yes, in te novel too, it is based on a pure coincidence. Blame Fleming and the genre Bond belongs to, where sometimes coincidences to happen to trigger the plot. TB is in general (and the pre-Shrubland omission aside) very close to the original novel. Yes, the bombs are not about to blow off immediately at any time, but they are a MacGuffen anyway: their presence is enough of a threat. I love that SPECTRE's scheme is defeated through investigation and that Bond is far more proactive in TB than in GF.

I think here and elsewhere TB is criminally underrated.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    TB has grown on me and currently sits at #12 on my ranking, but the first 3 are without a doubt superior in my opinion still. It's probably overrated to an extent, as I believe it doesn't deserve to be a Top 10 Bond film, but it's still pretty solid overall. It overtook YOLT in my last Bond-a-thon and has a lot of great humor in it. Some of Connery's best moments are actually in this film.

Seems a fair assessment, although I still prefer YOLT.

Broken down into individual elements there is much to appreciate in TB, but for me it is a case of a movie that overall is much less than the sum of its parts. The first three films are each almost perfect, and very different from each other. TB, for me, represents the first mis-step in the series - the beginning of the period when the films started to become much more hit and miss.

For the record, I'd still take TB over any of the Brosnan films, any day of the week.

For the time being (and probably always), GE is the only Brosnan film I like more than TB. There are a lot of good/great individual aspects to TB, though, mostly the humor and the girls. TB and YOLT are pretty close for me, but for now I just feel that TB is simply a superior film. YOLT is potentially more entertaining, though. TB is also the first Bond film I ever watched, so there's that too...
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 908
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's a film that strives for scope and scale, intermittently achieving it, while also failing to keep its story moving at a dynamic pace.

I feel this is a film with which observers confuse the terms, 'bloated' and 'epic'. It is certainly epic in its intentions and contains some grand cinematography, but I'm not convinced the film, as a narrative, delivers the necessary components to define it as 'epic'. It starts excellently, Ken Adam's Paris set being a personal highlight. Shrublands is decent, if a little overlong. Volpe is inspired and adds a real Fleming quality and I'm an admirer of Celli as Largo. As a superficial aside, I do love the shark pool, who doesn't? Further plusses - Barry's score is evocative, Connery 'is' Bond and Ted Moore does the 'Bond gloss' exceptionally.

Despite this, I feel the negatives also stack up. It tries to go 'bigger and better', and proves that's not necessarily the greatest mantra to follow. It's been said over and over and over again, but the underwater scenes are, at best, sluggish. Given their billing as the film's, piece de resistance, they just don't hold water (excuse the pun). It takes an age to get going and the ending is a lacklustre affair that does nothing to justify the relative tedium of the build-up.

That said, it's a luxurious, glistening, indulgent, overblown slice of Bond.

Good summary. It looks good, the cast is reasonable, has nice Adam sets and Barry's score is one of best, but it's just terminally dull. IMO one of the more overrated films around here. YOLT is much more enjoyable.

Yes, it's almost unrecognisable as a Terence Young film. He did such a good job with DN and FRWL, but TB just seemed to be wrong story for him.

I rank it 5th out of the Connery films, in front of DAF.

To my mind you both are pretty much bang on. Apart from me putting TB firmly in front of YOLT,that is.
    I see it as the first by the numbers Bond film.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    It's a film that strives for scope and scale, intermittently achieving it, while also failing to keep its story moving at a dynamic pace.

I feel this is a film with which observers confuse the terms, 'bloated' and 'epic'. It is certainly epic in its intentions and contains some grand cinematography, but I'm not convinced the film, as a narrative, delivers the necessary components to define it as 'epic'. It starts excellently, Ken Adam's Paris set being a personal highlight. Shrublands is decent, if a little overlong. Volpe is inspired and adds a real Fleming quality and I'm an admirer of Celli as Largo. As a superficial aside, I do love the shark pool, who doesn't? Further plusses - Barry's score is evocative, Connery 'is' Bond and Ted Moore does the 'Bond gloss' exceptionally.

Despite this, I feel the negatives also stack up. It tries to go 'bigger and better', and proves that's not necessarily the greatest mantra to follow. It's been said over and over and over again, but the underwater scenes are, at best, sluggish. Given their billing as the film's, piece de resistance, they just don't hold water (excuse the pun). It takes an age to get going and the ending is a lacklustre affair that does nothing to justify the relative tedium of the build-up.

That said, it's a luxurious, glistening, indulgent, overblown slice of Bond.

Good summary. It looks good, the cast is reasonable, has nice Adam sets and Barry's score is one of best, but it's just terminally dull. IMO one of the more overrated films around here. YOLT is much more enjoyable.

Yes, it's almost unrecognisable as a Terence Young film. He did such a good job with DN and FRWL, but TB just seemed to be wrong story for him.

I rank it 5th out of the Connery films, in front of DAF.

To my mind you both are pretty much bang on. Apart from me putting TB firmly in front of YOLT,that is.
    I see it as the first by the numbers Bond film.

Yup.

I think @TheWizardOfIce nails it above. There is little suspense or tension throughout. By the second hour of the film, it feels stuck in an endless series of repeating scenes and locations - When combined with the flacid storytelling, Barrys' beautiful score and the balletic underwater fight scenes actually have the effect of lulling me gently off to sleep.

And I always hated that jet-pack. It's one of the naffest escape routines in the series. Brozza would have been proud - bet he wishes he could have had a jet-pack, kite-surfing, invisible tank.

Oh, and don't mention the 'rack' at Shrublands. Such an awful scene.
  • Never been out of my top 3, along with FRWL and OHMSS.
    Poor old FRWL and OHMSS - they deserve better company.
    Poor old FRWL and OHMSS - they deserve better company.

Chortle

OHMSS is the best film of the entire golden age to me ('62 through '69). I rank the golden age as follows:
    1) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    2) Goldfinger
    3) Dr. No
    4) From Russia with Love
    5) Thunderball
    6) You Only Live Twice

I enjoy them all though.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I'd flip TB and YOLT, and take FRWL up a notch or two.

Not sure OHMSS is my number one, but I have no problem with seeing it up there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I enjoy Thunderball very much and it came out when Bond mania was at it's peak. I do agree, for many of the reasons stated above by others, that this era of the series was starting to show a bit of flab.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I wouldn't say Thunderball is overrated - quite the opposite in fact. Much more overrated is Goldfinger which really started the phenomenon of Bondmania and launched "film Bond" into the big time. As it stands in fact, Thunderball is more faithful to Fleming and perhaps this is down to the no-nonsense direction of Terence Young.
    You might be right about it being more faithful to Fleming, but that doesn't stop it being dull as a film. It's possible to be incredibly faithful to source material and still produce something that just doesn't fly. Young did a wonderful job on DN and FRWL but TB just fails to launch.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Thunderball is overrated - quite the opposite in fact. Much more overrated is Goldfinger which really started the phenomenon of Bondmania and launched "film Bond" into the big time. As it stands in fact, Thunderball is more faithful to Fleming and perhaps this is down to the no-nonsense direction of Terence Young.

A quality the critics of TB often forget.
    You might be right about it being more faithful to Fleming, but that doesn't stop it being dull as a film. It's possible to be incredibly faithful to source material and still produce something that just doesn't fly. Young did a wonderful job on DN and FRWL but TB just fails to launch.

The thing is, I rarely, if ever, find Fleming dull. So for me that TB is so close to the source material is actually an asset of the movie and puts it way above GF and YOLT. Like I said: if you find it slow, blame Fleming, he wrote slow thrillers.
  • I think this is an appropriate thread for this: I think TB has one of the worst PTS' of the series. Bond fights a cross dresser (in a scene which is really just lots of crashing and banging, stuff being broken and knocked over). Then Bond runs outside to his jetpack (which is just really naff), which I'm assuming he parked there (which is stupid if because he was trying to be stealthy and that thing is really loud), takes the time to put his helmet on (and he looked like a dick in that helmet) then flies off.... Landing just outside the mansion he was just in. He then puts the jetpack in the car (? haven't seen it for ages so maybe I imagined that) then gets in and uses a water gun to take out the bad guys (even naffer than the jetpack).

Awful. Just crap imo. A massive step down from the GF PTS (yeah the seagull hat was silly but the rest is so badass), and not a patch on the likes of TSWLM, MR, TLD, LTK, GE, TWINE, CR, DAD and QOS.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'll have a piece of hell, with a side order of no.

The fist time I saw TB I feel asleep. Although that may have been down to the fact that I was playing Mario Kart on the N64 back in the day....

Needless to say, I didn't really want to watch TB again, until I received it as a present, on Christmas Day, along with OHMSS. Both of them blew me away.

Although, I do empathize with people saying that TB is slightly boring. After the Vulcan hi-jacking, a superb set-piece by the way, the film grinds to a halt, with tedious underwater footage, of scuba-divers nailing a sodding net in place. Just have Largo cutting Derval/Palazzi's oxygen tube, and have done with it. Maybe a couple of shots hiding the Vulcan. It comes at a really crucial stage, what with it being after the Flemingesque set up of the plot in Shurblands, you really needed a exciting bit to come after it.

Still, naturally, TB tries valiantly to cover over it's slower pace, with the excellent plotting, sets, action, music, tension, violence, sex and the quips. It is an epic film, and Young is trying to tell us a story, I got caught up with the story like never before. It’s only on for two hours, that’s time to be spent with Bond, so what’s the rush? I just let the film wash over me, savoring Thunderball’s magnificent “epicness”.

There's no doubt in my mind that TB has a couple boring stretches. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it, though. I thought Young's Bond films got progressively worse (none of them bad, though), honestly. I know most people like FRWL the most, but I've always been in the DN camp.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't say I find TB overrated. The parts people usually cite as boring are the ones I find entertaining on a purely artistic level. The underwater photography commands my respect and Barry's score sets the mood very well.

But I will agree that TB isn't nearly as strong as FRWL and even DN, a very underrated Bond film. DN and FRWL wanted to be original and fresh films; TB wanted to be GF 2.0 I think.

A quality the critics of TB often forget.

The thing is, I rarely, if ever, find Fleming dull. So for me that TB is so close to the source material is actually an asset of the movie and puts it way above GF and YOLT. Like I said: if you find it slow, blame Fleming, he wrote slow thrillers.

Okay, so by your reasoning, absolutely anything based on Fleming and conveyed to celluloid floats your boat, no matter what the quality of the end product? If that's the case, fair enough, but I can't sayI share the same view. It's not primarily an indictment of Fleming or the source material to say the film is not very good - its essentially a criticism of the script, direction, editing etc.

If someone takes a book you love and then turns it into a really bad movie that happens to also be slavishly loyal to the text, do you simply love the movie regardless, or do you recognise that the literary and cinematic art forms are interlinked but also seperate and not automatically translateable. I haven't read Thunderball. It may well be brilliant, but even if it is, that does not mean the film based on it will also be any good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I haven't read Thunderball.

:-O
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 14,834
    No, I am not saying this at all, you are building a strawman. I am saying Fleming wrote quality thrillers and there is a good chance a movie adaptation close to the source material will be quality too, if you have the means to do it. Yes, different mediums and all, I KNOW that. But the novel YOLT is far superior to its adaptation, so is TMWTGG, so is DAF, so is MR and no, the fact that the adaptations used little of the source material is not incidental. In both TB novel and movie, you have the same believable yet large scale plot, the same antagonism and love triangle between Bond, Largo and Domino, you have investigation, you have the use of coincidence (a common trope in the genre), the same personification of SPECTRE, etc. And different medium or not, there is worst thing to do than stay close to the source material. Not slavishly loyal to it, but close to it, at least in spirit, when the source material is brilliant.

It is entirely your right to find TB dull. I have read the novel and did not find it dull when Domino tells pages after pages the story of the captain on the Craven A's pack. Or when Bond gets a tour of the Disco Volante by Largo. So I don't get bored with the underwater sequences in the movie.
    I have read the novel and did not find it dull when Domino tells pages after pages the story of the captain on the Craven A's pack. Or when Bond gets a tour of the Disco Volante by Largo. So I don't get bored with the underwater sequences in the movie.
    Agreed. I just wish the movie had used the end in the novel! THAT would have been a unique ending for a Bond film!

A quality the critics of TB often forget

Faithfulness to Fleming is usually a good barometer when rating Bond films. It certainly stands up to scrutiny regarding DN, FRWL, OHMSS, the opening of TLD and the second half of CR; but I would be very wary of relying on this argument with regard to TB.

A court of law found that Fleming to all intents and purposes plagiarised a screenplay by Jack Whittingham (and, he would argue, Kevin McClory). TB the novel is effectively a novelisation of the TB screenplay by Whittingham. The only bits that are really attributed to Fleming are Shrublands, SPECTRE, and the Domino backstory with the sailor - ironically two of the best bits of the finished film and one bit they left out.

So saying TB is faithful to the Fleming novel ergo it must be good is very murky water to start sailing into.
    So saying TB is faithful to the Fleming novel ergo it must be good is very murky water to start sailing into.
    Point taken.

Silly use of the jet pack (featured prominently in the first few episodes of Lost In Space) and the DB5 rear water guns aside, the movie is a strong one, rich in lush locals & lusher women. The pace is languid to be sure, and yes, the mask switcheroo and the sped-up boat climax bug me a little, but it's fine 60's Bond cheese.
    Please remember that DN had the terrible rear projection & somewhat lacking one-angle model at the end, FRWL had the silly & oh-so-convenient boat line-up (plus the Popeye hat), GF had the superfast window trick out the toy plane... :P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It is a strong film; in the big picture if I could change one thing it would be the under cranking of the camera to speed up the action that's used throughout the film, most noticeably in the conclusion to make the Disco appear to be going faster. I find it very distracting and pulls me out of the film.

A quality the critics of TB often forget

Faithfulness to Fleming is usually a good barometer when rating Bond films. It certainly stands up to scrutiny regarding DN, FRWL, OHMSS, the opening of TLD and the second half of CR; but I would be very wary of relying on this argument with regard to TB.

A court of law found that Fleming to all intents and purposes plagiarised a screenplay by Jack Whittingham (and, he would argue, Kevin McClory). TB the novel is effectively a novelisation of the TB screenplay by Whittingham. The only bits that are really attributed to Fleming are Shrublands, SPECTRE, and the Domino backstory with the sailor - ironically two of the best bits of the finished film and one bit they left out.

Except that I do not buy the conclusion of the court of law and the subsequent attitude of McClory certainly makes me think that the creative force behind the novel was Fleming and no one else. Blofeld is a 100% Flemingesque character, who was used subsequently by Fleming in subsequent novels, SPECTRE is a revamped SMERSH (and other criminal organizations he used in the past), etc.

But whatever you think about the judgment, it is irrelevant: the book was written by Fleming, it was his prose, his work in the end, his writing, his characters.