Is Thunderball Overrated?

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 2,189
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't see the issue with Shrubland. The hero uncovering a scheme or getitng himself into an adventure by total chance is a common trope of the genre.

I quite agree. In fact, it's a storyline that runs through almost all the Fleming novels, where Bond embarks on a seemingly simple case which unravels into a much larger plot.

On another note, Thunderball may be seen as cliche now because its a group using nuclear weapons to hold the world hostage, which has been done over and over and over again in film these days. However, when you stop to consider that it was the first film to do so on such a successful scale, than it doesn't seem so unoriginal...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thunderball may be seen as cliche now because its a group using nuclear weapons to hold the world hostage, which has been done over and over and over again in film these days. However, when you stop to consider that it was the first film to do so on such a successful scale, than it doesn't seem so unoriginal...
    Yes, agreed in spades.
    B-)

• On another note, Thunderball may be seen as cliche now because its a group using nuclear weapons to hold the world hostage, which has been done over and over and over again in film these days. However, when you stop to consider that it was the first film to do so on such a successful scale, than it doesn't seem so unoriginal...

This is not the point,it's how they go about. I don't think anyone is criticising the plot and scheme which is great, but the execution. Somehow it seems less like the sum of its parts, which are in parts simply great. The Bahamas and the sea are as beautiful as it gets, domino and Fiona are tremendously Hot cookies, with Fiona also being one of the very very few interesting and dangerous villainess' in the franchise. Still it somehow drags, I can't help it.
    Exactly. The plot is good. It's the way the film is put together.
    The movie is beautiful and exiting I always skip the PTS as I find it a waste of time and does add little to nothing to the main movie. And another annoyance would be the sped up sequence of the boat at the end which leaves the film rather dated.

Overall it is a well executed movie that tells its story at a more enjoyable pace than actioners these days do, a relaxing and enjoyable movie to see with enough action to keep it fun and Connery makes it look cool too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I don't think Thunderball is overrated, I think Goldfinger is overrated. Thunderball just doesn't grab me, though. If I had to watch a Connery era Bond, i'd rather watch From Russia With Love
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    The PTS is truly awful, and I think doesn't make me want to enjoy the film. Its very Moore era, in a bad way.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote: »

It's the opposite of QoS.

echo wrote: »

I actually think the plot of QOS is one of its strong points. Its premisse at least. it is the opposite of TB in another way: TB has a simple scheme, while QOS has a complex one. But both belong to a Bond movie.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

I actually think the plot of QOS is one of its strong points. Its premisse at least. it is the opposite of TB in another way: TB has a simple scheme, while QOS has a complex one. But both belong to a Bond movie.

THIS! BIG WAY!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do go back and forth as to which is better, GF or TB. TB had Volpe, which was a big difference. But they are pretty close to each other in quality and storytelling.
    I do go back and forth as to which is better, GF or TB. TB had Volpe, which was a big difference. But they are pretty close to each other in quality and storytelling.
    GF is slick & full of character; TB is grand & full of beauty.

• Thunderball is underrated, not overrated.
    Thanks man, that was great!
    (I still want one)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Is Thunderball overrated?

Personally I'd say no. Most people who enjoy it (like me) acknowledge it has its flaws and is perhaps weaker than the three films that came before it.
    It may be just a bit....
  • The book wasn't that great, once you get past the excellent first 100 pages. One nadir is when Felix and Bond bitch on about barttenders and restaurant food while the world faces a nuclear strike, like they've got nothing better to do.

But Fleming succeeded in creating a new genre, another world, it's not just the plots to be fair.

The film would be greater but McClory overcooked it and there are a couple of scenes which make it officially not plausable in my view. The Aston's jet stream in the pts, having Bond get carved up nearly by Lippe and not even mentioning it to M (plus it's obviously shot on a race track, couldn't they have bought the use of a nice country road for a day or two) and then when Bond infiltrates the Spectre frogmen, just tagging along like you do.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Considering TB was released at the height of the 1960's Bondmania, and that it seems that for the general it's GF gets mentionned and loved a lot more than TB, I'd say it's underrated (in the general public's mind).

As to on this Bond forum, I'd say it's really a polarizing film. From what I've seen in various threads on the film, either members find it to be on of the most epic, entertaining, grand-scope Bond movies, or, on the other hand, a boring, not-very-well-written film nowhere near the level of GF. I may be wrong but I rarely saw TB middle-ranked by members in the ranking film.

It seems that whether you like the underwater scenes or not is what makes you put the film at the top or at the bottom of your ranking.

There is a big 'fight' between GF and TB. Either people love GF and hate TB, or the other way around, or they are closely-ranked and keep switching places in people's ranking.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I love both TB & GF it is with YOLT that Connery's 007 goes somewhat in decline for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

SaintMark wrote: »
    I love both TB & GF it is with YOLT that Connery's 007 goes somewhat in decline for me.

My sentiments exactly.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TB was the natural 'peak' film given how the franchise was expending. Some say the peak was at GF, some say TB, but I think the only way the franchise was going after these 2 films was down. Anymore grand-scope, epicness,gadgets, humour and it would start to get silly and campy in the minds of many Bond fans, and to me that's what YOLT was. The franchise was still new back then so they didn't know their limits. The success of GF and TB got into the heads of EON and they thought they needed 'more, more more!'. And this seems the way the franchise has been going since then: keep adding more humour, gadgets, action gradually until it goes absolutly crazy (YOLT, MR, DAD), and then you need more down-to-earth and seriousness and then restart the process of 'more and more' until you reach another peak.
    that is worrying for B 24 then.
    I don't know. EON seem to act a bit more reponsibly since CR. I think the 'more and more' process is less obvious in the Craig era. Yes SF is more grand-scale and humorous than CR or QOS, but it seems more that the 3 films are of different style than of out-doing themselves each time. Mendes is returning, and he seems like a serious director, so maybe he will want to improve and not out-do himself for Bond 24.

I do agree that based on the previous 20 movies, EON will lose their minds at some point and do another OTT movie. But I am confident it won't happen for Craig. I really think they will want to finally give a proper tenure-ending film. So they'll want to keep the quality at CR level until Craig leaves. I think the real worry should be about what happens next after Craig. As of now I don't see any candidate as Bond #7 that I find serious, and the most touted ones scare me a little bit.

@Getafix you seem to not like either SF or TB, right? So you are probably thinking YOLT is next for Bond 24?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Considering TB was released at the height of the 1960's Bondmania, and that it seems that for the general it's GF gets mentionned and loved a lot more than TB, I'd say it's underrated (in the general public's mind).

As to on this Bond forum, I'd say it's really a polarizing film. From what I've seen in various threads on the film, either members find it to be on of the most epic, entertaining, grand-scope Bond movies, or, on the other hand, a boring, not-very-well-written film nowhere near the level of GF. I may be wrong but I rarely saw TB middle-ranked by members in the ranking film.

It seems that whether you like the underwater scenes or not is what makes you put the film at the top or at the bottom of your ranking.

There is a big 'fight' between GF and TB. Either people love GF and hate TB, or the other way around, or they are closely-ranked and keep switching places in people's ranking.

It is very much right in the middle for me, along with YOLT. Those two films were for me a drop in quality compared to the first three (and OHMSS).
    @Thunderfinger can you look at my 2nd to last post, please? :) I wrote that most fans disagree on where Bond first peaked, TB or GF. You would say GF, then drop in quality, and 2nd peak for OHMSS?

So as I can see, TB is not as polaring for you as to put it in your bottom ranked movies, but it is polarising for you next to GF and DN/FRWL as the first drop in quality in the franchise. So it seems either TB is a peak or a drop in quality.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I don't know. EON seem to act a bit more reponsibly since CR. I think the 'more and more' process is less obvious in the Craig era. Yes SF is more grand-scale and humorous than CR or QOS, but it seems more that the 3 films are of different style than of out-doing themselves each time. Mendes is returning, and he seems like a serious director, so maybe he will want to improve and not out-do himself for Bond 24.

I do agree that based on the previous 20 movies, EON will lose their minds at some point and do another OTT movie. But I am confident it won't happen for Craig. I really think they will want to finally give a proper tenure-ending film. So they'll want to keep the quality at CR level until Craig leaves. I think the real worry should be about what happens next after Craig. As of now I don't see any candidate as Bond #7 that I find serious, and the most touted ones scare me a little bit.

@Getafix you seem to not like either SF or TB, right? So you are probably thinking YOLT is next for Bond 24?

I'm not a fan of TB. I don't hate it or anything. I just find it doesn't engage me. It looks great, the cast is mainly very good (although I don't think Largo is any great shakes) and the music sublime. Despite a lot of good elements, to me it is a lot less than the sum of those parts. The first three Bond films, and OHMSS are probably the gold standard for me.

I actually really like YOLT though. Call me perverse, but I do find it very entertaining and enjoyable. Nowhere near the first three in terms of quality, but an enjoyable template, that would be endlessly rehashed over the following decades, most successfully in TSWLM.

SF is, I think it's fair to say, not one of my favourites. There is simply nothing much in it to draw me back. I want to like it but for me personally it is charmless and largely devoid of the special magic something that makes a great Bond movie. But it's far from being the worst, or even close to the worst in the series.

Any way, I doubt Mendes is about to make a YOLT. I expect it will be another 'thematic' movie with some central core themes as in SF. I am totally fine with that as long as they don't completely override plot and logic. Just really hoping there is a good strong narrative at the heart of B24.

May be SF is a bit like TB for me, although I would rather watch TB. Broken down into elements I can see there are good things about it, but taken as a whole, it just doesn't hang together for me. Feels like a like a sort of unsuccesful collage.

The Bond films are funny like that. You can have one that on paper is all serious and has all these great people working on it, but the actual film is just lacking something. And then films that perhaps shouldn't work, like YOLT and OP, just do.

That's my rather underdeveloped theory any way. I just talking on a pure entertainment level here, and what works for me.
    Yes I found SF's plot to be a bit contrieved but I thought the film was epic, fun, entertaining to the max so I didn't mind much. Kind of like TB, because I do agree that the entire film's plot rests on the fact that Bond gets injured and goes to Shrubands only to stumble upon Largo's scheme.

And I can see what you mean about YOLT but I found severe pacing issues throughout the film, especially during the wedding scene. Maybe I feel about it what you feel about TB's underwater sequences. And I hated Connery in YOLT, it's like he forgot about his great acting in the previous 4 films and was just there for the paycheck.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,595
    I see Thunderball as being the peak of cinematic Bond. Connery is still at his best. It's the perfect mix of Terence Young's Fleming-esque style (we get a dangerous Bond again) and Goldfinger's cinematic grandeur, only even grander.

It's a beautiful film with beautiful women beautiful cinematography and beautiful locations. It's colorful, thrilling, and has perhaps the best score of the entire series.

Now, I'm never one to get into these sorts of arguments on here as no one ever convinces anyone of anything. Instead, I'm just leaving my two cents. I find Thunderball to be cinematic Bond, with mixes of Fleming, at its best.

edit: While I enjoy You Only Live Twice very much Connery's performance is visibly weaker than the 4 outstanding turns before it. I think YOLT is, overall, a very good movie but I maintain that the series peaks with TB in the "Golden Age."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think it helps that we have similar genre movies and TV shows that keep the contemporary Bond movies grounded and not left to be jettisoned off into the world of OCT lunacy as what's been done in the past. Eon waiting for Mendes to free up his schedule and casting a specific calibre of actors are indicators that they're not going to give us a movie coming anywhere close to YOLT, MR or DAD.