It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• I agree, Lazenby was a physical powerhouse that hadn’t been matched until Craig came into the picture. My favorite fight of his will always be how he slams the elevator door into the Piz Gloria Guard’s face before knocking him out.

And the prolonged fight scene which I believe was closer to the beginning of the film but after the beach scene (which was also good). Remembering how the tabloids stopped mocking DC once he got to working out for the role.

I think they stopped mocking him after the initial CR trailer came out. I was incredibly young during the lead up to CR, but I recall fans mentioning a story the tabloids threw out of Craig losing a tooth cap during stunts or something like that.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 1,280
    I agree, Lazenby was a physical powerhouse that hadn’t been matched until Craig came into the picture. My favorite fight of his will always be how he slams the elevator door into the Piz Gloria Guard’s face before knocking him out.

And the prolonged fight scene which I believe was closer to the beginning of the film but after the beach scene (which was also good). Remembering how the tabloids stopped mocking DC once he got to working out for the role.

I think they stopped mocking him after the initial CR trailer came out. I was incredibly young during the lead up to CR, but I recall fans mentioning a story the tabloids threw out of Craig losing a tooth cap during stunts or something like that.

Very few of the 007 actors really got out of their comfort zones and wore as many hats as DC. Meanwhile SC, RM, and even PB got celebrated a lot when all they really did was show up and read their lines.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Didn't Lazenby punch out Oliver Reed at some reception? Anyone who saw Olly's overly-refreshed appearances on UK chatshows will understand George's motivation...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The fight between Bond and Che Che is one of my favorites in the series. Lazenby's physical skills there are wonderful.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Didn't Lazenby punch out Oliver Reed at some reception? Anyone who saw Olly's overly-refreshed appearances on UK chatshows will understand George's motivation...

Reed could’ve been a great Bond if he’d not been such an alcoholic
    Venutius wrote: »

Indeed. Great actor, but an absolute a*sehole when he drank. Whenever I read the books I tend to imagine some of Reed's facial features in Bond, which is interesting. Still, it's probably best he never got the role. As bad as the infighting between Cubby and Connery could be I suspect Reed would have been far worse.
  • 007HallY wrote: »

Indeed. Great actor, but an absolute a*sehole when he drank. Whenever I read the books I tend to imagine some of Reed's facial features in Bond, which is interesting. Still, it's probably best he never got the role. As bad as the infighting between Cubby and Connery could be I suspect Reed would have been far worse.

There needs to be a special care with having the role so as not to allow alcohol to control one's life. DC is speculated to have struggled with this matter. It really doesn't help fans in the end because actors age quickly in addition to all the internal damage alcohol does to the body. Disclaimer: no religious motivation whether direct or subtle in my statement, I speak as a medical scientist.

Also, I understand why SC was upset at Cubby. It's obvious he was screwed over but Connery made the mistake of bringing fans into the fight without a supporting role and rather one that made fans feel cold and dry only to feel the effect of his absence as punishment. If he was going public with his feud with Cubby as he allowed it to spill over, he should have lobbied fans to rally behind him in care for the series so that Cubby would focus more on quality of the series rather than trying it like a cash cow above all else. Both of them made mistakes and we all in the end suffer.

I still can't believe SC held onto his 007 Aston Martin because he lived with such denial and spite for the role for so long.
    007HallY wrote: »

There needs to be a special care with having the role so as not to allow alcohol to control one's life. DC is speculated to have struggled with this matter. It really doesn't help fans in the end because actors age quickly in addition to all the internal damage alcohol does to the body. Disclaimer: no religious motivation whether direct or subtle in my statement, I speak as a medical scientist.

Also, I understand why SC was upset at Cubby. It's obvious he was screwed over but Connery made the mistake of bringing fans into the fight without a supporting role and rather one that made fans feel cold and dry only to feel the effect of his absence as punishment. If he was going public with his feud with Cubby as he allowed it to spill over, he should have lobbied fans to rally behind him in care for the series so that Cubby would focus more on quality of the series rather than trying it like a cash cow above all else. Both of them made mistakes and we all in the end suffer.

I still can't believe SC held onto his 007 Aston Martin because he lived with such denial and spite for the role for so long.

Wouldn't surprise me about DC having read about the injuries he sustained during his films. That's not even mentioning the long hours, the stress, the obligatory interviews after shooting etc. With Reed I think he simply always liked a drink. Some people are just prone to alcoholism from what I can tell. I suspect Reed was one of them.

Yeah, the more I've read about the Cubby and Connery saga the more I've come to feel sorrier for Connery. Still, neither were angels.

Wouldn't surprise me about DC having read about the injuries he sustained during his films. That's not even mentioning the long hours, the stress, the obligatory interviews after shooting etc. With Reed I think he simply always liked a drink. Some people are just prone to alcoholism from what I can tell. I suspect Reed was one of them.

Yeah, the more I've read about the Cubby and Connery saga the more I've come to feel sorrier for Connery. Still, neither were angels.

What’s interesting is the Oliver Reed situation is that Cubby talked about the casting in his autobiography. He said they would’ve had to sink money, time, and resources into molding him into Bond, but they just didn’t have that patience

What’s interesting is the Oliver Reed situation is that Cubby talked about the casting in his autobiography. He said they would’ve had to sink money, time, and resources into molding him into Bond, but they just didn’t have that patience

Another aspect is I suspect Reed probably wouldn't have had the patience for that either. Again, great actor, but the man didn't deal with drink well.

Another aspect is I suspect Reed probably wouldn't have had the patience for that either. Again, great actor, but the man didn't deal with drink well.

Absolutely, though we at least got his “Bondian” performance with “The Assassination Bureau”

Absolutely, though we at least got his “Bondian” performance with “The Assassination Bureau”

A film also starring Diana Rigg as the female lead and Telly Savalas as the antagonist. Released in the same year as OHMSS no less.

Honestly, I think Reed could have played Bond and actually done it in a way that was different to Connery. Obviously his personal flaws got in the way.

A film also starring Diana Rigg as the female lead and Telly Savalas as the antagonist. Released in the same year as OHMSS no less.

Honestly, I think Reed could have played Bond and actually done it in a way that was different to Connery. Obviously his personal flaws got in the way.

Plus we wouldn't have gotten a parody of Bond through the 70s which is what the series had become. RM shouldn't be blamed but his light hearted approach did contribute to it along with the producer just wanting the 007 actor to just show up and follow orders. That kind of autopilot and formula-following approach wouldn't fly with today's theatre audiences.

Plus we wouldn't have gotten a parody of Bond through the 70s which is what the series had become. RM shouldn't be blamed but his light hearted approach did contribute to it along with the producer just wanting the 007 actor to just show up and follow orders. That kind of autopilot and formula-following approach wouldn't fly with today's theatre audiences.

That’s my biggest gripe honestly. Majesty’s felt like the last time this series was on top for decades, instead they just resorted to ripping off other film genres in the decades to follow.

That’s my biggest gripe honestly. Majesty’s felt like the last time this series was on top for decades, instead they just resorted to ripping off other film genres in the decades to follow.

They used....rather SHOVED the GF formula into the framework of other film genres in the decades that followed. But after CR and QoS, there was good reason to wonder if we had entered a new Golden Age of Bond despite Bourne being inspirational before Christooher Nolan movies then took the mantle from SF onward.....NTTD with its oversaturation of CGI even overtaking the background shots was in art inspired by Logan.

The series needs to become its own and seek inspiration from FRWL, OHMSS, and CR.....these movies are hands down and least arguably the best. GF is what caused SC to dub Bond as a glorified policeman and the rest is repetitive history. Honestly, I won't pay to watch the next Bond movie if it turns out to be formulaic again.

They used....rather SHOVED the GF formula into the framework of other film genres in the decades that followed. But after CR and QoS, there was good reason to wonder if we had entered a new Golden Age of Bond despite Bourne being inspirational before Christooher Nolan movies then took the mantle from SF onward.....NTTD with its oversaturation of CGI even overtaking the background shots was in art inspired by Logan.

The series needs to become its own and seek inspiration from FRWL, OHMSS, and CR.....these movies are hands down and least arguably the best. GF is what caused SC to dub Bond as a glorified policeman and the rest is repetitive history. Honestly, I won't pay to watch the next Bond movie if it turns out to be formulaic again.
    So how many Bond films would you say you enjoy (not necessarily love) out of the 25 made by EON?
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,079

I’d like a return to formula, but more along the lines of TLD, or Goldeneye than say DAF or TMWTGG. I thought those films were excellent examples of shaking the formula up without feeling like the “Same Old Bond.” But hey, I’d also gladly take another FRWL/CR type of Bond film. For me, FRWL/OHMSS/CR represent the peak of Fleming’s Bond on film, while TSWLM/TLD/GE felt like the peak of Cinematic Bond. I think that’s why all of those films are in my top 10 rankings. I do feel like CR was a tightly written as FRWL or OHMSS. In fact, one of the elements of both CR and QOS that I like is that the world in which those two films exist feel like a Modernized version of the world of FRWL. So much intrigue, suspense, and to quote the FRWL trailer, “The Men and Women who play a deadly, dangerous game of espionage.”
  • mattjoes wrote: »

So how many Bond films would you say you enjoy (not necessarily love) out of the 25 made by EON?

About 15 of them. And yes, the formula was in some of them but imagine how each film would be unique if they had followed a little more closely to the source material with some adaptive adjustments for the screen.
  • An innocent bystander was shot at the dog race in QoS by Mitchell as Bond was chasing him. Why not have a Bond movie that features a family member of someone caught in the middle of fire who fell victim at the hands of Bond?

The gunshot happens just before the pretitles sequence statt rolling into the shock of the audience....and yes the beginning part of the song Still Holding On by Conjure One with the sad violin playing would certainly befit the breaking hearts being shocked into the scene. And the gloomy pounding of the piano keys in the beginning of that song before the word "gone" is mentioned will make an effective scene.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    An innocent bystander was shot at the dog race in QoS by Mitchell as Bond was chasing him. Why not have a Bond movie that features a family member of someone caught in the middle of fire who fell victim at the hands of Bond?

The gunshot happens just before the pretitles sequence statt rolling into the shock of the audience....and yes the beginning part of the song Still Holding On by Conjure One with the sad violin playing would certainly befit the breaking hearts being shocked into the scene. And the gloomy pounding of the piano keys in the beginning of that song before the word "gone" is mentioned will make an effective scene.

It's a cool idea, but I think most people would find the premise similar to the one in Austin Powers, were one of Dr Evil's anonymous henchmen dies and they make a 5 minute segment out of his friends and family finding out about his death

I'm not sure EON should be referencing anything else close to Austin Powers, look what happened to Spectre
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    An innocent bystander was shot at the dog race in QoS by Mitchell as Bond was chasing him. Why not have a Bond movie that features a family member of someone caught in the middle of fire who fell victim at the hands of Bond?

It's a cool idea, but I think most people would find the premise similar to the one in Austin Powers, were one of Dr Evil's anonymous henchmen dies and they make a 5 minute segment out of his friends and family finding out about his death

I'm not sure EON should be referencing anything else close to Austin Powers, look what happened to Spectre

If they could bring back Blofeld and even parallel Austin Powers with a brotherly bond, then EON can pull off this innocent bystander thing in a seriously good quality manner. And if they want to aim for a shot at one of those Oscar's (whose shows I never watch no matter what and I lovingly discourage you all from wasting your time on celebs congratulating themselves at), the story of this particular Bond movie can adopt a theme. The theme would be how violence can impact people and the choices they have to make.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 1,280
    You know....here is another reason to boycott Oscars.......they never started giving attention to this series as much as they do now until 2012 which was 50 years later at the time.....and still no Oscar for cinematography on any films from QoS onward whether EON was in its Bourne phase over to its Nolan phase.

I want to see a Craig phase where DC is behind the camera to see his own true style....the style of Bond from none other than the last remaining 007 actor competitively comparable to SC.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

If they could bring back Blofeld and even parallel Austin Powers with a brotherly bond, then EON can pull off this innocent bystander thing in a seriously good quality manner. And if they want to aim for a shot at one of those Oscar's (whose shows I never watch no matter what and I lovingly discourage you all from wasting your time on celebs congratulating themselves at), the story of this particular Bond movie can adopt a theme. The theme would be how violence can impact people and the choices they have to make.

I used to think Blofeld was crazy, but now I can see he's nuts !
  • Since62 wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I used to think Blofeld was crazy, but now I can see he's nuts !

You should have seen the posts and comments they made about me back in 2014 when I said Bond would be killed off with Daniel Craig's last movie!

And yes....a Blofeld that is pure nuts in a horror style serial killer manner or psychological thriller Bond movie would be a great idea!
    I recall reading some time ago that Craig would come back only of they did something bold, new, dramatic, and, specifically - Bond dies.

As for my "nuts" reference: Not that you necessarily missed it, but my own idiotic goofball reference was to Austin Powers, climbing up the ladder after his brother, whose pants had fallen...
  • Since62 wrote: »
    I recall reading some time ago that Craig would come back only of they did something bold, new, dramatic, and, specifically - Bond dies.

As for my "nuts" reference: Not that you necessarily missed it, but my own idiotic goofball reference was to Austin Powers, climbing up the ladder after his brother, whose pants had fallen...

All fun except AP Goldmember was a very weak entry and ultimately ended the series. But the threat of the series becoming relevant again lingers.....DC once said "Austin Powers F---ed Us"

I'd watch SP and take Blofeld as Bond's brother anyway day than frigging sharks eith frigging lasers on their frigging heads...Goldmember. Notwithstanding, that movie came out the same year as one of the weakest entries into Bond whose name I won't even mention.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I liked Goldmember... I've watched those movies so many times.
    I think in a weird way both Austin Powers and Jason Bourne both helped EON, they forced them to work harder and think smarter

Bourne in how intense the action should be and Austin Powers in the humour, leave the cheesy one liners to Sir Roger and his era
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't know about "smarter" when SP stole the end game twist from Goldmember.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't know about "smarter" when SP stole the end game twist from Goldmember.

Haha very true. Well at least initially