It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,526
    There are people who's brains only seem to function in the way of extracting money out of every single possible component of reality, regardless of the necessities of people and communities. These are people with no empathy, ie, psychopaths.

It's the exact same for anybody who owns residential property for speculative purposes.
    Having just finished QoS again, it is a much better film than I've been giving it credit for. I will probably never like the theme song, and I wish the writers had not killed off Mathis. But this is a very good film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Having just finished QoS again, it is a much better film than I've been giving it credit for. I will probably never like the theme song, and I wish the writers had not killed off Mathis. But this is a very good film.

Better for me every time I watch it. I don't really mind either the song or the Mathis plot tbh, I think the scene at Mathis' villa is so good and so powerful with the foreshadowing, I think it would have lost something if Mathis survived and was able to go back.

The song, eh, I prefer Bassey's song but it would have needed a different set of visuals.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 1,280
    CrabKey wrote: »

Better for me every time I watch it. I don't really mind either the song or the Mathis plot tbh, I think the scene at Mathis' villa is so good and so powerful with the foreshadowing, I think it would have lost something if Mathis survived and was able to go back.

The song, eh, I prefer Bassey's song but it would have needed a different set of visuals.

The Mathis conversations were very meaningful to the film. Each, well shot well.

What do you think of the song "Still Holding On" by Conjure One if it were used instead?

Knowing that this song was originally penned for Bond's psyche still blows my mind.
  • Times like these when we don't know exactly how the next movie will pan out. Just hope the humor doesn't return much because the world right now is really burning. Realism is a sign of the times.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The humour in QOS was spot on. Dark and deadpan. Perfectly suited to Craig's Bond. That's the type and level of humour I'd like to see return.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    The humour in QOS was spot on. Dark and deadpan. Perfectly suited to Craig's Bond. That's the type and level of humour I'd like to see return.

Agreed. I've always loved the "I don't think he smoked." line. The humor was executed perfectly in this one.
    Agreed.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    The writing for this film doesn’t get the respect it deserves… it has some of my favorite lines in the whole franchise. That includes the dry deadpan humor, which intersects perfectly with CraigBond’a portrayal.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Venutius wrote: »

Yep.
    "There is something horribly efficient about you.."
    "Is that a compliment..?" 😁
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,513
    I love some of the lines in Quantum

"My friends call me Dominic"
    "I'm sure they do"
  • The humor is realistic and smart. It's bit forced like in the subsequent Craig films and Brosnan movies. They're not obvious one-liners.

The line "maybe you should get a priest" was alluded to in a subsequent Craig film. Apparently the Craig story arc could not move one way or another without QoS. SF was all about Bond and M's relationship. QoS established that, not CR.

The meanest most insensitive lines by almost any villain in the series were said by Dominic Greene, "damaged goods" and "hahahaha, looks like you just lost another one" when referring to Camille and Bond....it had emotional impact rather than some scarred guy shaking and mumbling stuff. Plus this Greene guy was a philanthropist much like the folks in real life which made him more scary.

Dominic Greene doesn't get enough love. Great villain, great lines ( Love how he puts Medrano in his place for refusing to sign the contract!) And though he's not made out to be physical bad guy, he's pretty impressive in that final scrap with Bond, totally manic!
    Greene was a fantastic villain - you hated him on sight! That's how it should be.
    Greene is so slimy and sinister. He's my favorite villain of the Craig era.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    Dominic Greene doesn't get enough love. Great villain, great lines ( Love how he puts Medrano in his place for refusing to sign the contract!) And though he's not made out to be physical bad guy, he's pretty impressive in that final scrap with Bond, totally manic!

No other Bond villain has gotten as raw and realistic with his fight in the climax. This was an actual fight and you could FEEL how much Bond wanted to stay professional and not kill this guy. The whole climax of GE involved a fight but there was a whole satellite and world domination battle going on. There just wasn't as much studio interference. Studio interference is how Timothy Dalton got his contract manipulated so he would say no to doing GE.

Seems like the studio had far LESS leverage in QoS due to the writer's strike and Daniel Craig along with Marc Forster were able to keep things real regarding the script and presentation of the characters including Greene.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,513
    There's a small moment at the end of Quantum I love.

In my opinion, I believe to be a small lift from the Moonraker novel. At the end of the film when the hotel is on fire and Bond finds Camile, she starts whispering "no, not like this" Bond looks at her as if he thinks about shooting her, so she doesn't die in the fire the same way as her mother and sister.

There's a similar passage in Moonraker, when Bond considers killing himself to stop the Moonraker, he doesn't want Gala to get burnt to death by the rocket igniting, when they are placed in the exhaust pit of the Moonraker.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    There's a small moment at the end of Quantum I love.

In my opinion, I believe to be a small lift from the Moonraker novel. At the end of the film when the hotel is on fire and Bond finds Camile, she starts whispering "no, not like this" Bond looks at her as if he thinks about shooting her, so she doesn't die in the fire the same way as her mother and sister.

There's a similar passage in Moonraker, when Bond considers killing himself to stop the Moonraker, he doesn't want Gala to get burnt to death by the rocket igniting, when they are placed in the exhaust pit of the Moonraker.

This added with Camille walking away the end makes it the best spiritual adaption of Moonraker, even if DAD had more of the plot elements, I'm still gonna be grateful for Quantum for giving us that on screen and done so well imo.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Yes, that's a great scene. Trying to comfort her amid the flames, almost in a counterpart to the shower scene with Vesper in CR. More of Forster's use of 'elements', maybe? And yes, you're right, Jordo, Bond is going to kill Camille to prevent her dying by fire ('Close your eyes'...). The callback to MR could well be deliberate too - as with Bond and Camille parting without sleeping together at the end. God, I love QOS.
    Hard to believe, but I'm getting a new found appreciation of Another Way To Die. A song I have never really cared for.

I recently heard it on some new Techniqs headphones and I just love that thumping bass line!
    Hard to believe, but I'm getting a new found appreciation of Another Way To Die. A song I have never really cared for.

I recently heard it on some new Techniqs headphones and I just love that thumping bass line!

Its not my favourite theme by a long shot, mate, but it works really well for the movie, and for the excellent title sequence!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Its not my favourite theme by a long shot, mate, but it works really well for the movie, and for the excellent title sequence!

Yeah. It does work well with the title sequence, which I have also grown fond of.

Damn I love this film!

I remember jamming to it hundreds of times on the way to high school in the buildup to the film's release. I couldn't get enough of it, I've always loved it. I'd be really happy with another rocking song entry in the series.
    Yes, that snakey guitar riff intro straight after the freeze-frame is just perfect. I know it's always been divisive, but I wouldn't change it for the Arnold/Bassey song, tbh.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, that's a great scene. Trying to comfort her amid the flames, almost in a counterpart to the shower scene with Vesper in CR. More of Forster's use of 'elements', maybe? And yes, you're right, Jordo, Bond is going to kill Camille to prevent her dying by fire ('Close your eyes'...). The callback to MR could well be deliberate too - as with Bond and Camille parting without sleeping together at the end. God, I love QOS.

The scene was so intensive. I really thought Bond was going to shoot her. And the parallel to the Vesper shower scene was so sad. The music was so well crafted between Forster and David Arnold.

The way Bond never sleeps with Camille and yet there is such an understandingly good chemistry between them and their care for one another speaks volumes. Bond drops her off at a cemetery by railroad tracks.....it's very metaphorical in many ways. You see the old couple of what kind of life Bond could never have. The way Camille seems to vanish with editing walking to the train station with that BADASS guitar riff of a 007 theme that could easily have become Daniel Craig's own Bond theme for the rest of his movies......

Then from the dead of a dry desert, we find Bond in the coldest of climates in Kazaan, waiting to find Yusef. While the woman he loves like family, M, awaits him outside the apartment in a world so cold. He has people to love or people who love him.
    On a Bond Facebook group I'm in, lately people have been discussing Christmas Jones and a couple dared to say she's "great" and I've countered by how unnecessary she was. Elecktra should've been not just the villain, but main Bond woman and I pointed to Camille in QoS as an example of Bond not getting the girl being stronger than having a blatant plaything to bounce a poor one-liner off of to end on a happy groaner note. Of course, the answer was something along the lines of "I like the happy endings."

Bond did have Strawberry Fields to dally with in QoS and it wasn't a necessary inclusion, but didn't affect the outcome, because the creators were firm in not having to conform to the happy ending, which is what they clung to in TWINE.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    On a Bond Facebook group I'm in, lately people have been discussing Christmas Jones and a couple dared to say she's "great" and I've countered by how unnecessary she was. Elecktra should've been not just the villain, but main Bond woman and I pointed to Camille in QoS as an example of Bond not getting the girl being stronger than having a blatant plaything to bounce a poor one-liner off of to end on a happy groaner note. Of course, the answer was something along the lines of "I like the happy endings."

Bond did have Strawberry Fields to dally with in QoS and it wasn't a necessary inclusion, but didn't affect the outcome, because the creators were firm in not having to conform to the happy ending, which is what they clung to in TWINE.

It definitely would have actually been interesting if TWINE hadn't had Christmas Jones and Elektra was both the secondary villain and only Bond girl. Would have felt more like SF in a way. That said I don't the series was ready to break fully with the formula at the time.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

Yeah. It does work well with the title sequence, which I have also grown fond of.

Damn I love this film!

Have you listened to Still Holding On by Conjure One yet?
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Cheers for that, echo. Agree with the article about the action (it's great!) and the song (it's nowhere near as bad as is claimed), but disagree with it about Greene - he's a superb villain. He's not meant to be a bravura megalomaniac like Silva, but he absolutely is an oily, weasely little ratbag, capable of absolutely anything. There's no ambiguity with Greene - you can't not hate him! :D