It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    :)) Excellent.
  • Since62 wrote: »
    Tom Hardy - 5'9"
    And that's per IMdB, which might be generous
    Are we done ?

That doesn't mean a thing anymore.....less than an inch than the last one....you should have heard the woke, they were calling for a female Bond!
    Mate, an extra inch will always mean a lot. Er, so I've heard... ;)
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,932
    Double post. Sorry, all.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,070
    Let's get the pink elephant out of the way ...
    Of the 3 top mentioned actors: which do you think will best portray a QoS style of Bond?

A QoS style of Bond represents DC in his best and like the movie, the style ages better with time in addition to being able to be best at the time....

Please share your opinions in each and why:

Idris Elba- he was present at some after party with Daniel Craig much like RM was at the premiere of SC's last official Bond movie DAF. DC has supported his candidacy and the actor can certainly speak with his facial expressions and his stern silence. Elba can sure act and meshes better with the later DC version of Bond from SF to NTTD perhaps.

Tom Hardy- this guy has the serious grit which you'd find in the CR to QoS years. Like DC, he has a long list of independent films in addition to his mainstream films where he pulled off sacrificing stunts from his physical transformations playing characters like Ronson and Baine. His grittiness speaks for itself watching Mad Max Fury Road.....he can sure do a chase scene. He looks different in almost every role and much like SC and DC, it's hard to tell if he is a good or bad guy often with his acting. Physically, his face and body have looked drastically different in many films.

Henry Cavill- He was the front runner before DC. He's got class. He's not funny when he tries to be but he definitely has the 007 description kind of look similar to TD in TLD. Not sure how his style of Bond would become I am concerned that he will end up becoming another one of those people's choice Bond like PB who was also a bit screwed out of the role a decade before getting it but ending up not trying as hard and just standing in or coasting through his films with looks instead of taking an active presence behind the scenes for quality assurance like DC did.

Which of these actors is least likely to be comedic in an offsetting way?

Of these choices I think I’d pick Cavil if I’m being honest. Despite what some may say about his take on Superman, I think he’s a pretty solid actor will a lot going for him
  • Let's get the pink elephant out of the way ...
    Of the 3 top mentioned actors: which do you think will best portray a QoS style of Bond?

A QoS style of Bond represents DC in his best and like the movie, the style ages better with time in addition to being able to be best at the time....

Idris Elba- he was present at some after party with Daniel Craig much like RM was at the premiere of SC's last official Bond movie DAF. DC has supported his candidacy and the actor can certainly speak with his facial expressions and his stern silence. Elba can sure act and meshes better with the later DC version of Bond from SF to NTTD perhaps.

Tom Hardy- this guy has the serious grit which you'd find in the CR to QoS years. Like DC, he has a long list of independent films in addition to his mainstream films where he pulled off sacrificing stunts from his physical transformations playing characters like Ronson and Baine. His grittiness speaks for itself watching Mad Max Fury Road.....he can sure do a chase scene. He looks different in almost every role and much like SC and DC, it's hard to tell if he is a good or bad guy often with his acting. Physically, his face and body have looked drastically different in many films.

Henry Cavill- He was the front runner before DC. He's got class. He's not funny when he tries to be but he definitely has the 007 description kind of look similar to TD in TLD. Not sure how his style of Bond would become I am concerned that he will end up becoming another one of those people's choice Bond like PB who was also a bit screwed out of the role a decade before getting it but ending up not trying as hard and just standing in or coasting through his films with looks instead of taking an active presence behind the scenes for quality assurance like DC did.

Of these choices I think I’d pick Cavil if I’m being honest. Despite what some may say about his take on Superman, I think he’s a pretty solid actor will a lot going for him

Each of the three aforementioned actors have taken over roles from someone else in a sequel or reboot of some sort....

Cavill got Superman

Idris Elba did a good job of making the audience forget about Deadshot's absence who he replaced in The Suicide Squad.

Tom Hardy is a chameleon and took over Mel Gibson's role as Mad Max and made it his own as well.

I think Tom Hardy and Idris Elba have a level of intensity needed to help audiences accept them as the new Bond in a mental way. Martin Campbell used a motif of having Bond get knocked out unconscious and in his state the camera shot features a closeup of Bond's eyes. Given the intensity of the situation and how it was presented in a LTK style of intensity for Bond, it was easy to accept that this new guy is Bond now.

Elba and Hardy have the ability to steak not just the screen but the performance on a mental level.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I don't think anyone can get life out of Superman, no matter how great a talent the actor has. Supermans is the most boring of concepts ever deviced. You can't blame Cavill for that. I liked him in his understated play as Solo in UNCLE. I like him as the Witcher too. I don't think he's going to be any good as Bond though, he misses the subtleness that Bond needs to stay human.

I don't think anyone can get life out of Superman, no matter how great a talent the actor has. Supermans is the most boring of concepts ever deviced. You can't blame Cavill for that. I liked him in his understated play as Solo in UNCLE. I like him as the Witcher too. I don't think he's going to be any good as Bond though, he misses the subtleness that Bond needs to stay human.

I agree, though for different reasons, about Cavill as Bond. He LOOKS the part, very much. However, he ALREADY had his chance - and playing a character partly created by Fleming ! - and the film did not greatly succeed. Not all his fault, at all. I think the film would have done better had it been made in the ol' TV UNCLE style. Instead, it was more realistic. And the palette was...wan ? Many great talents were spent on the film, but it did not light up the theaters and the audiences stayed away in droves. Sorry, man, but that was something of an audition, and, nope.
  • Let's get the pink elephant out of the way ...

Superman’s only boring if you don’t understand the complexity of the character, if you only look at superficial elements. He’s an incredibly interesting character when he’s well written, his entire struggle is that he’s an alien finding a way to fit in and help save humanity. More so, he’s trying to be an average guy doing the right thing. It’s more than the superficial elements of the character, and that’s what so many people get wrong unfortunately. To them Superman is just smiles and OP powers, so it’s nothing to do with Superman as a character, it just has to do with people who don’t get/understand/care to understand Superman.

As for how Cavil would be as Bond, I think it’s a mistake to go in expecting him to be more along the lines of Dalton/Craig if ever he was cast, but I don’t think he’d miss any subtleness. If you look at his take on Superman, it’s a very understated take. He manages to capture the complexity of that role, manages to capture the inner struggles of Clark Kent, and he does it well (despite the material given). So much so that he might actually be one of the best versions of the character because of the complexity given, so to say that he couldn’t do something similar as Bond I think is inaccurate.

Now does that mean he SHOULD be cast? No, I’d much rather an unknown actor take the part, but in the context of the original question, for me it’s much easier to picture Cavil as Bond than the likes of Tom Hardy and Idris Elba, who I think just get mentioned a lot because their popular British Actors (not unlike Cavil lol.)

Personally I just think people are going to set themselves up for an inevitable disappointment if they go into the start of the next actors era thinking/hoping he’s going to be like Daniel Craig, and hoping that he’ll have a similar journey. Bond needs to evolve from Craig, and I think that’s going to be hard for a lot of Bond fans to accept that.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Of the Superman films that have been made, I've only seen a few of the Christopher Reeve ones, but in my opinion, the character wasn't boring in those.
  • Some suggestions for a Producer's cut of QoS:

Replace the main theme song with Still Holding On by Conjure One with David Arnold's finishing touches that got to finish.

I'm debating about shifting the title sequence to the part where Bond shoots Craig Mitchell.

Feature the extended scene of Bond's reaction to Fields' death. Barbara Broccoli mentioned this reaction was filmed.

Keep the original ending but have any other footage or additional retcon-added dialogue about Guy Haines and his fate.

Include more Vesper and Yusef, I know there has got to be more feature of Eva Green's involvement in the film and more is welcome.

Please include any other ideas or known cut scenes from QoS.
    Unfortunately, Eva's only involvement in QOS was the one-day photoshoot to get the Vesper and Yusef photographs. Barbara Broccoli told Eva that she'd be in QOS, but the original idea of her shooting new scenes to be used as flashbacks was vetoed by Marc Forster before the film itself began shooting. I'd guess that Eva's intended scenes were in the P & W script that Forster junked as soon as he read it. I don't know if they survived into Haggis's first script - the one where Bond tracked Vesper's daughter to an Albanian orphanage run by nuns (!) - but Forster was on board by then, so maybe not.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm really glad they didn't include any Vesper flashbacks in QOS. I love Eva Green but it would just make Bond look weak mentally.

Honestly I feel they referenced Vesper too much in the Craig era as it now, it's part of the reason I didn't take to Madeline as much. We're constantly reminded of a superior Bond girl constantly
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Some suggestions for a Producer's cut of QoS:

Replace the main theme song with Still Holding On by Conjure One with David Arnold's finishing touches that got to finish.

I'm debating about shifting the title sequence to the part where Bond shoots Craig Mitchell.

Feature the extended scene of Bond's reaction to Fields' death. Barbara Broccoli mentioned this reaction was filmed.

Keep the original ending but have any other footage or additional retcon-added dialogue about Guy Haines and his fate.

Include more Vesper and Yusef, I know there has got to be more feature of Eva Green's involvement in the film and more is welcome.

Do you start the film with the gunbarrel @dramaticscenesofQOS.
    Some suggestions for a Producer's cut of QoS:

I recall reading there are no know deleted scenes with which to work to produce a "director's cut" or "expanded cut" of QOS...perhaps someone else knows with more certainty...
    For a QOS Redux, yeah, why not have the gunbarrel at the start. The last dot at the end of the gunbarrel could easily include a fade in and then a pull back to full screen of the first shot with the camera rushing across the water. That'd work, I think.
    Not sure about Bond shooting Mitchell as the lead-in to the title sequence. That head shot of Craig upside down shooting into the camera does seem to have been planned as a CR-style jump to the title song, so it'd work perfectly. I'm a bit attached to the screen freezing after 'It's time to get out' and the song starting there, though. Hmm. But for a Redux, yeah, ok, why not have it coming in with the shot where Bond killed Mitchell? Yeah, fair do's.
    Change the song? I actually wouldn't. I know it's always been a really divisive song and it's not that great, but I'm too used to the scratchy guitar coming in with that first riff by this point. Maybe an instrumental version?!
    Me, I actually wouldn't change the editing - it's part of what makes QOS, QOS and the quick cutting is really only in the action sequences, after all. I remember years back, when people on AJB007 were arguing for the car chase to just be slowed down rather than actually re-edited. Would that work? Dunno. I think the thing most people would want from a QOS Redux would be less hectic editing, though, so I'd probably have to give this one up and go with the majority or a lot of people would still be disappointed. Ah well!
    Agreed re. putting back any scenes with Craig that were actually filmed, such as the reaction to Fields' death. Unless those scenes just didn't work and they were pulled for a reason, obvs! I would insert a few establishing shots to let the story breathe a bit - surely there must be a lot of landscape footage that wasn't used? They filmed in some great locations for QOS, so let's see a bit more of them.
    Obviously, the events of SP mean we can't have the intended final scene where Bond kills Mr. White - but if anything deserves to be released as a deleted scene, it's that one. Well, that and the deleted scene from CR, where Bond carries a naked Vesper up onto the deck of the yacht and throws her into the sea while she's squealing and laughing, then jumps in after her. It's in the script that was leaked and, other than the famous photo of Eva and Dan embracing in the sea, there's photos from that scene where Martin Campbell's in shot, standing in the sea with a hand-held camera, so it looks like they did actually film it. Let's have it!
  • Some suggestions for a Producer's cut of QoS:

Do you start the film with the gunbarrel @dramaticscenesofQOS.

No, just the sun shaped hole that you see in silhouette. But the current sequence where Bond tells Mr. White to get out is ok for a intro to Still Holding On instead of the deranged tune we get to Another Way to Die.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    For a QOS Redux, yeah, why not have the gunbarrel at the start. The last dot at the end of the gunbarrel could easily include a fade in and then a pull back to full screen of the first shot with the camera rushing across the water. That'd work, I think.
    Not sure about Bond shooting Mitchell as the lead-in to the title sequence. That head shot of Craig upside down shooting into the camera does seem to have been planned as a CR-style jump to the title song, so it'd work perfectly. I'm a bit attached to the screen freezing after 'It's time to get out' and the song starting there, though. Hmm. But for a Redux, yeah, ok, why not have it coming in with the shot where Bond killed Mitchell? Yeah, fair do's.
    Change the song? I actually wouldn't. I know it's always been a really divisive song and it's not that great, but I'm too used to the scratchy guitar coming in with that first riff by this point. Maybe an instrumental version?!
    Me, I actually wouldn't change the editing - it's part of what makes QOS, QOS and the quick cutting is really only in the action sequences, after all. I remember years back, when people on AJB007 were arguing for the car chase to just be slowed down rather than actually re-edited. Would that work? Dunno. I think the thing most people would want from a QOS Redux would be less hectic editing, though, so I'd probably have to give this one up and go with the majority or a lot of people would still be disappointed. Ah well!
    Agreed re. putting back any scenes with Craig that were actually filmed, such as the reaction to Fields' death. Unless those scenes just didn't work and they were pulled for a reason, obvs! I would insert a few establishing shots to let the story breathe a bit - surely there must be a lot of landscape footage that wasn't used? They filmed in some great locations for QOS, so let's see a bit more of them.
    Obviously, the events of SP mean we can't have the intended final scene where Bond kills Mr. White - but if anything deserves to be released as a deleted scene, it's that one. Well, that and the deleted scene from CR, where Bond carries a naked Vesper up onto the deck of the yacht and throws her into the sea while she's squealing and laughing, then jumps in after her. It's in the script that was leaked and, other than the famous photo of Eva and Dan embracing in the sea, there's photos from that scene where Martin Campbell's in shot, standing in the sea with a hand-held camera, so it looks like they did actually film it. Let's have it!

You see, that deleted scene from CR would work as a flashback for QoS!!!! It would be appropriate enough not to be a ghost scene but one that's more endearing for how her loss is felt.

And yes, the 2nd unit filming sure did film some beautiful locations. In fact, QoS was when the cinematography of the series took off and maintained a set standard that would be honored by Hoyt in SP and Roger Deakins in SF.

The good thing about editing is that the musical score composer, David Arnold, can always come back and add music for the added shots.
  • Folks, Tom Hardy just won a gold medal in a jiu-jitsu tournament. He deserves the role of James Bond for at least 3 movies while the producers can take their time scouting a 20 something over the next 7 to 9 years.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 2,911
    Tom Hardy's such an interesting 'what if' when it comes to Bond. I know a lot of people point to his role as Eames in Inception as an example of how he'd have gone about the role, but I actually felt thought his performance as Reggie Kray in Legend was him at his most 'Bondian', cockney accent aside. Just something about his confidence, his demeanour, even the way he was dressed/done up felt like it could have been a foundation of a great Bond portrayal.

Anyway, to bring it back on topic, I can't imagine Henry Cavill as Bond in QOS.
    Genuinely don't think anyone of Craig's generation could've done a better job in his five Bond films. Including Tom Hardy. I do think Hardy would've been capable of doing something interesting with Bond and I do think he meets the criteria suggested on here by our esteemed colleague, Colonel Gogol:
    Could he hold his own in a dramatic scene with Mads Mikkelson?
    Could he seduce Monica Belluci?
    Could he hold his own in a fight with Dave Bautista?
    Unlike many of the suggested candidates to replace Craig, Hardy could do all of that. But for some reason, and I'm not sure what it is, I've got to fess that I've never actually wanted him to be Bond! I'm hoping that it's nothing as superficial as him being 5' 9, but...! To be fair, most of the recently-suggested candidates would actually be far worse and less suitable than Hardy, but, realistically, Tom's aged out now - he's already older than Craig was in SF.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I've only seen QoS once, when it was first released on DVD. I was underwhelmed. Time elapsed since then may mean I could change my mind if I watch it again.

I've been planning to do a 'series' watch of the DC films so, who knows.
  • stag wrote: »
    I've only seen QoS once, when it was first released on DVD. I was underwhelmed. Time elapsed since then may mean I could change my mind if I watch it again.

I've been planning to do a 'series' watch of the DC films so, who knows.

Let us know when you watch it again and please review here.

With regard to a redux of QoS.....Still Holding On by Conjure One reflects the inner emotions of Bond most....the inner angst and desperation....the steadfastness of his loyalty to Queen and Country....it's the perfect fit.
  • Folks, Tom Hardy just won a gold medal in a jiu-jitsu tournament. He deserves the role of James Bond for at least 3 movies while the producers can take their time scouting a 20 something over the next 7 to 9 years.

Tom Hardy is dabbling in professional fighting now? Who does he think he is, Mickey Rourke?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Folks, Tom Hardy just won a gold medal in a jiu-jitsu tournament. He deserves the role of James Bond for at least 3 movies while the producers can take their time scouting a 20 something over the next 7 to 9 years.

Tom Hardy is dabbling in professional fighting now? Who does he think he is, Mickey Rourke?

I'm not even sure it's dabbling really, it seems like his main thing at the moment. I suppose he is making that motorcycle film though.
  • Didn’t Hardy have prior MMA training for a film he’d done beforehand?

It's called a demo reel for 007 without actually auditioning the way George Lazenby broke a stunt man's bones in a fight scene audition. Say what you want about GL but out of all the actors in the series, he was the martial artist.

Hardy is true to form. He really gets into his roles and immerses himself in them to the point that you forget or cannot recognize his new character being played by the same actor in a prior film....The Legend, Ronson show his chameleon side.
    Fury Road proves that this guy knows how to give the best performance for a chase scene with true grit.

It's called a demo reel for 007 without actually auditioning the way George Lazenby broke a stunt man's bones in a fight scene audition. Say what you want about GL but out of all the actors in the series, he was the martial artist.

Lazenby was indeed the best at the fights. They made good use of him too. He may only have had the one film, but I believe he was in nine hand-to-hand dust-ups. Must be a record.
  • I agree, Lazenby was a physical powerhouse that hadn’t been matched until Craig came into the picture. My favorite fight of his will always be how he slams the elevator door into the Piz Gloria Guard’s face before knocking him out.
  • I agree, Lazenby was a physical powerhouse that hadn’t been matched until Craig came into the picture. My favorite fight of his will always be how he slams the elevator door into the Piz Gloria Guard’s face before knocking him out.

And the prolonged fight scene which I believe was closer to the beginning of the film but after the beach scene (which was also good). Remembering how the tabloids stopped mocking DC once he got to working out for the role.