It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I would pay large to get an extended edition of my favourite Bond movie from this Century.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    So who starts drafting the petition?
  • Venutius wrote: »
    More of QOS - it's the one thing I want from EON more than anything else. I'm sure EON and Craig would like QOS's reputation to be rehabilitated and anything that'd help more people to like the film could only be good, right? And the original would still exist for the hardcore like us, so it'd be win-win.
    I'd love to know more about scenes that Forster actually filmed and then cut. I can't remember anyone talking about deleted scenes other than the famous one where Bond killed Mr. White, so I don't know how many others there are. Several, I'd hope!
    I've heard that there were a few things that were planned but got dropped and were never filmed - such as when they were on the plane and Mathis was to have told Bond about Philip Masters and Rhoda Llewellyn, as in the Quantum of Solace short story. Big shame that wasn't included -that was the perfect place to include it and Giancarlo Giannini was the ideal person to deliver it. It would've been great, but I've never seen any confirmation that it was actually filmed. Anybody know?

Here is one bit I asked Barbara Broccoli about which she confirmed.....Bond's reaction to Field's' death was supposed to show his remorse for having left her. This was cut off.

Having left Mathis and also Fields when they could have had a better chance at being alive had Bond kept everyone together at the Green planet party...but that remorse could have given Fields a little dignity and more depth that she deserved.

That would be a good scene definately. I'm warming to that 'redux' idea. Did they have an alternate theme song? Just asking for my ears...

They did. They had a couple of alternative songs sang by different artists but the one that comes closest as a final runner up was sang by Shirley Bassey. You'll find it if you type in "rejected Quantum of Solace song".

I'm not aware of there having been any official theme songs under consideration apart from Jack White's with Alicia Keys. I recall there was some unknown artist who did a very pastiche take on a Bond song and promoted it on YouTube as being "in consideration for" Quantum of Solace, but that wasn't really the case. The song Arnold wrote and had Bassey sing, "No Good About Goodbye," does borrow a theme from the film, but it was made after the fact.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I would pay large to get an extended edition of my favourite Bond movie from this Century.

I'll draft the petition for a small fee as I balance work and school tuition at the moment.

@Junglist_1985 can help the community by promoting it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I’m not a fan of the idea. The film should stand as released. Even with all of my problems, particularly the ending, with NTTD, I would never want it changed or reedited, at this point. It exists, that’s the film.

The only time I approve of such things is when a piece of work was cut against the will of a Director. And I’m not talking about franchise pictures because that’s part of the game, I’m talking about an auteur, like Welles or Stroheim, who both were subject to such treatment. BLADE RUNNER is a more recent example. The STAR WARS films illustrate the futility of the practice; down the rabbit hole.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Like this? Good call. Me too - always thought it'd originally been intended as a CR-style lead into the gunbarrel. Works perfectly, too.

Birdleson wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of the idea. The film should stand as released. Even with all of my problems, particularly the ending, with NTTD, I would never want it changed or reedited, at this point. It exists, that’s the film.

The only time I approve of such things is when a piece of work was cut against the will of a Director. And I’m not talking about franchise pictures because that’s part of the game, I’m talking about an auteur, like Welles or Stroheim, who both were subject to such treatment. BLADE RUNNER is a more recent example. The STAR WARS films illustrate the futility of the practice; down the rabbit hole.

The theatrical Aliens and The Abyss were both edited by Cameron, yet his extended cuts are superior...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Venutius wrote: »
    More of QOS - it's the one thing I want from EON more than anything else. I'm sure EON and Craig would like QOS's reputation to be rehabilitated and anything that'd help more people to like the film could only be good, right? And the original would still exist for the hardcore like us, so it'd be win-win.
    I'd love to know more about scenes that Forster actually filmed and then cut. I can't remember anyone talking about deleted scenes other than the famous one where Bond killed Mr. White, so I don't know how many others there are. Several, I'd hope!
    I've heard that there were a few things that were planned but got dropped and were never filmed - such as when they were on the plane and Mathis was to have told Bond about Philip Masters and Rhoda Llewellyn, as in the Quantum of Solace short story. Big shame that wasn't included -that was the perfect place to include it and Giancarlo Giannini was the ideal person to deliver it. It would've been great, but I've never seen any confirmation that it was actually filmed. Anybody know?

Here is one bit I asked Barbara Broccoli about which she confirmed.....Bond's reaction to Field's' death was supposed to show his remorse for having left her. This was cut off.

Having left Mathis and also Fields when they could have had a better chance at being alive had Bond kept everyone together at the Green planet party...but that remorse could have given Fields a little dignity and more depth that she deserved.

That would be a good scene definately. I'm warming to that 'redux' idea. Did they have an alternate theme song? Just asking for my ears...

They did. They had a couple of alternative songs sang by different artists but the one that comes closest as a final runner up was sang by Shirley Bassey. You'll find it if you type in "rejected Quantum of Solace song".

I'm not aware of there having been any official theme songs under consideration apart from Jack White's with Alicia Keys. I recall there was some unknown artist who did a very pastiche take on a Bond song and promoted it on YouTube as being "in consideration for" Quantum of Solace, but that wasn't really the case. The song Arnold wrote and had Bassey sing, "No Good About Goodbye," does borrow a theme from the film, but it was made after the fact.

Well, it works a hundredfold better than the screamfest that is AWTD. I can't stand it so much I've never actually seen the titles properly. I never new there were throwbacks to OHMSS and TSWLM in there:
    Apparently, Forster didn't want a 'traditional' Bond song, so Arnold and Bassey didn't actually record No Good About Goodbye until QOS was already finished - a sort of 'this is what you could've won' riposte. But even if not recorded in time, does anybody know if it was actually written in time for the film? Is this the song that was intended for Amy Winehouse, when she was supposed to sing the title song? Given Amy's worldwide profile at the time, it's hard to imagine EON not going with this if she'd been together enough to record it.
    Apparently, Forster didn't want a 'traditional' Bond song, so Arnold and Bassey didn't actually record No Good About Goodbye until QOS was already finished - a sort of 'this is what you could've won' riposte. But even if not recorded in time, does anybody know if it was actually written in time for the film? Is this the song that was intended for Amy Winehouse, when she was supposed to sing the title song? Given Amy's worldwide profile at the time, it's hard to imagine EON not going with this if she'd been together enough to record it.

QoS was scored during editing of the film...that's why the music matches the scenes so well.
    Yes, apparently Forster had input into the score, even telling Arnold what he was looking for and which elements to emphasise. It clearly worked - QOS is one of Arnold's best, I think.
    Yes, apparently Forster had input into the score, even telling Arnold what he was looking for and which elements to emphasise. It clearly worked - QOS is one of Arnold's best, I think.

It is his best. For a couple of years after the release of QoS, there were classical concerts all over the world playing music from the film, notably Night At The Opera.
    The film's own Bond 007 theme which is played when Camille is dropped off at the train station and the scene cuts to Kazan, Russia could have been used in future movies. Arnold has such talent that his music was reused in future Bond films without his input.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »

The theatrical Aliens and The Abyss were both edited by Cameron, yet his extended cuts are superior...

Absolutely, particularly "The Abyss" which is immensely better.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm one of the three people who actually likes AWTD. in no way is it a perfect song but I think it reflects where Bond is following the events of CR , particularly the death of Vesper. Musically I find it very Bondian in an unconventional way; lyrically it's very strong. I don't think the t it worked as a duet, Keyes of capable of better. Where it really loses me is when the do a jazzy breakdown as she moans and yelps.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm one of the three people who actually likes AWTD. in no way is it a perfect song but I think it reflects where Bond is following the events of CR , particularly the death of Vesper. Musically I find it very Bondian in an unconventional way; lyrically it's very strong. I don't think the t it worked as a duet, Keyes of capable of better. Where it really loses me is when the do a jazzy breakdown as she moans and yelps.

I think it would be better if it was only Keys singing. I watched the film again tonight and the song kind of worked. One thing I noticed, the sound on this film is incredible. The sound effects on the PTS are very effective. And of course, Arnold's score is fantastic. The guy knows the Bond sound.

CR and QOS are the best of the Craig era. As always, it's a shame the films didn't continue in this vein.

I think it would be better if it was only Keys singing. I watched the film again tonight and the song kind of worked. One thing I noticed, the sound on this film is incredible. The sound effects on the PTS are very effective. And of course, Arnold's score is fantastic. The guy knows the Bond sound.

CR and QOS are the best of the Craig era. As always, it's a shame the films didn't continue in this vein.

I concur. And they came out so close together that we were fooled into expecting that trend to continue...
    edited February 2022 Posts: 3,985

I concur. And they came out so close together that we were fooled into expecting that trend to continue...

If only they had. I think it would have been quite something. Another thing I noticed watching the film tonight, how much location work is in the film. Makes such a difference.

It's just so sad because QoS was so deep towards the end. It showed you how Bond's inner emotions really felt in a world so cold with only few people who could understand what he was going through. Metaphorically, Camille was like a ghost of Bond's inner psyche. Her being dropped off at the cemetary and never being heard from or seen again just as Bond was off to Kazan to confront Yusef and get a little bit of solace from Vesper's circumstances....I miss the CR-QoS-Bloodstone Daniel Craig storytelling.

It's just so sad because QoS was so deep towards the end. It showed you how Bond's inner emotions really felt in a world so cold with only few people who could understand what he was going through. Metaphorically, Camille was like a ghost of Bond's inner psyche. Her being dropped off at the cemetary and never being heard from or seen again just as Bond was off to Kazan to confront Yusef and get a little bit of solace from Vesper's circumstances....I miss the CR-QoS-Bloodstone Daniel Craig storytelling.

The Vesper arc ended there, with the necklace in the snow. The perfect coda to the story. Or so it should have been...

The Vesper arc ended there, with the necklace in the snow. The perfect coda to the story. Or so it should have been...

Nobody would get solace like that in an instant. Matera grave sequence was needed at the very least. No way Bond decided to change his mind on an instant and not carry the hurt for a while.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What an oddity it would have been for BOND 25 to be a so-called standalone mission. Especially how it played out with delays and pandemic conditions.

Instead it excelled in historic and epic ways. Living through Bond history, priceless.

• What an oddity it would have been for BOND 25 to be a so-called standalone mission. Especially how it played out with delays and pandemic conditions.

Instead it excelled in historic and epic ways. Living through Bond history, priceless.

Danny Boyle tried to make it that way. And when he didn't get his way, he spoiled the ending of NTTD.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13,022
    Hmm no. Danny Boyle exited amicably based on his vision and the producers' not aligning. Simple as that.

He didn't spoil a thing. I think the filmmakers would consider him in the future.

Trying to make that into a NTTD damnation is a mistake.

• Hmm no. Danny Boyle exited amicably based on his vision and the producers' not aligning. Simple as that.

He didn't spoil a thing. I think the filmmakers would consider him in the future.

Where's @Germanlady to come cancel me?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hmm no. Danny Boyle exited amicably based on his vision and the producers' not aligning. Simple as that.

:)) this person who hasn't posted in four years really lives rent free inside your head, huh?
  • Hmm no. Danny Boyle exited amicably based on his vision and the producers' not aligning. Simple as that.

:)) this person who hasn't posted in four years really lives rent free inside your head, huh?

I am still baffled....I called out Bond's death and she starts calling me all kinds of names and gets me cancelled, LOL.

Nobody would get solace like that in an instant. Matera grave sequence was needed at the very least. No way Bond decided to change his mind on an instant and not carry the hurt for a while.

Obviously he would always carry that hurt with him. But that should have been it with reference to Vesper.

Much as I love NTTD the 'forgiving Vesper' moments just felt odd and hollow to me.
    Dunno about Boyle being given another go in future. Didn't he leave because EON wanted to drop John Hodge, but Boyle said that they came as a team and it was both or none? I admire Boyle's loyalty to his friends, but will he get a second chance after spurning EON like that?
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 54

Obviously he would always carry that hurt with him. But that should have been it with reference to Vesper.

Much as I love NTTD the 'forgiving Vesper' moments just felt odd and hollow to me.

Agreed - i really like the rest of the Matera sequence but the sudden loop back to Vesper and especially the “I miss you” line didn’t work for me at all. I much prefer the fadeout from the necklace in the snow in QoS….
  • For most of the cast and crew of each film

CR was made with a lot of confidence and hard work.

QoS was made with a lot of hard work albeit rushed. The crew worked harder to accommodate the schedule. The mood on the set is reflected in the air of melancholy felt throughout the film.

Skyfall was fun to make for the actors although Judi Dench was sad filming her last shot.

SP was filmed while DC was fighting lots of pain and also enjoying the Morrocan dessert. That whole dessert scene was a homage to the dessert in QoS, even up to the point of having a hotel in each of the locations featured.

NTTD was filmed as a large farewell and seemed enjoyable for the cast and crew.

If the franchise was adapting to Jason Bourne style filming for CR and QoS then went full Marvel and Nolanish....they could have taken a lesson from the 4th and 5th Jason Bourne movies.....they were critically less favorable among audiences and were immediately forgotten.