It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• chrisisall wrote: »
    Longer, atmospheric shots and “breathing room” are the only things keeping QOS out of my top 5. For now, it sits proudly at #7.

Extended cut would be incredible, if such footage exists.

Oh, it exists. In someone's garage if not in the studio vaults...

Barbara Broccoli....if she really misses DC as JB then she'd give a second life to QoS by doing this alongside his help/input. And for the fans. And to keep the studios at bay for making profits.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Longer, atmospheric shots and “breathing room” are the only things keeping QOS out of my top 5. For now, it sits proudly at #7.

Barbara Broccoli....if she really misses DC as JB then she'd give a second life to QoS by doing this alongside his help/input. And for the fans. And to keep the studios at bay for making profits.

Perhaps if we mention it here often enough the crawlers of EON/Amazon will pick up on it and they'll go for it.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Perhaps if we mention it here often enough the crawlers of EON/Amazon will pick up on it and they'll go for it.

Yes!!!! Keep this post alive with this message. I'm the same guy who called Bond's death in 2014 on this board. I also told Purvis to include a scene of visiting Vesper's grave when I met him in 2009. Its posted somewhere here on the board from way before NTTD was filmed years ago.

Not going to happen.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Unfortunately, not. BB and MGW may initially have been impressed enough to ask Forster to direct the next film after QOS, but that was before the critics put the boot in when it was released. He's been locked out of the house ever since.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »

Not going to happen.

No Felix & Beam tv show happening anytime soon....plus the video game makers got the message when they tried shoving 007 Legends down our throats without the DC's involvement.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d love to hear Craig’s thoughts on the games because he himself is an avid gamer and that’s why he threw himself into that process at the start. The fact that he wasn’t in 007 Legends tells me there might have been some fall out. Was he disappointed in the direction the games were going? Was he not happy doing a remake of GE?
  • I’d love to hear Craig’s thoughts on the games because he himself is an avid gamer and that’s why he threw himself into that process at the start. The fact that he wasn’t in 007 Legends tells me there might have been some fall out. Was he disappointed in the direction the games were going? Was he not happy doing a remake of GE?

It might have had to do with the fact that GE 007 was released at the same time as an original game that had a story of it's own...Bloodstone. That game is very underrated, well made, and it ties right in to the storyline that eventually became SP. He worked hard on both games but the business side of things didn't allow for the very studio that made Bloodstone stay afloat.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I do remember Activision putting more promotion on the remake and sort of leaving Blood Stone in the dust.

What was most telling for me was when it was announced. During the first trailer we see footage of a focus group and the Activision employee asks “what if I told you there was a new GoldenEye game?”

Not a new Bond game. A new GoldenEye game. As if it’s a brand itself. It is true that it’s practically a brand, but I detested how Activision decided to play into that instead of working on strengthening the James Bond brand. This was right after QOS, so it’s not like Activision was suffering a string of failures. They just jumped right into it. It really peeved me which is why I never bothered getting Reloaded (I didn’t have a wii for the original).
  • I do remember Activision putting more promotion on the remake and sort of leaving Blood Stone in the dust.

What was most telling for me was when it was announced. During the first trailer we see footage of a focus group and the Activision employee asks “what if I told you there was a new GoldenEye game?”

Not a new Bond game. A new GoldenEye game. As if it’s a brand itself. It is true that it’s practically a brand, but I detested how Activision decided to play into that instead of working on strengthening the James Bond brand. This was right after QOS, so it’s not like Activision was suffering a string of failures. They just jumped right into it. It really peeved me which is why I never bothered getting Reloaded (I didn’t have a wii for the original).

Why'd they do that?
    I’d love to hear Craig’s thoughts on the games because he himself is an avid gamer and that’s why he threw himself into that process at the start. The fact that he wasn’t in 007 Legends tells me there might have been some fall out. Was he disappointed in the direction the games were going? Was he not happy doing a remake of GE?

It might have had to do with the fact that GE 007 was released at the same time as an original game that had a story of it's own...Bloodstone. That game is very underrated, well made, and it ties right in to the storyline that eventually became SP. He worked hard on both games but the business side of things didn't allow for the very studio that made Bloodstone stay afloat.

Bloodstone,is a great game.I consider it Craig’s best Bond adventure after CR!

Unlike most actors, SC included, none of them stood by their video games so closely to put their best effort forward than did DC. There's this better feeling about playing Bloodstone than there is 007 Legends because his voice gives you that stamp of approval missing. If he's involved in it, he's played it. It's not like he'd go "use my likes and let the fans play it while I laugh all the way to the bank..."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    With Bloodstone, I felt the on-foot missions were underwhelming. It was the driving missions where Bloodstone shined, especially that last mission. A proper car chase, no gadgets, just a white knuckle high speed chase.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    For most of my generation the video games are an unknown element.
  • With Bloodstone, I felt the on-foot missions were underwhelming. It was the driving missions where Bloodstone shined, especially that last mission. A proper car chase, no gadgets, just a white knuckle high speed chase.

Exactly....and that's what's friendly for all audiences, less gadgets, more grit.

@Birdleson You probably had Live and Let Die the video game sold at the store nearby back in the day.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I don’t think Craig films continuing in the style of QOS was ever a thing that would happen. CR was the way it was because it was reflecting the tone and aesthetic of the novel, at least as much as a modern action-adventure film can. I never saw it as a reflection of what Craig’s entire tenure could be like. EON was always going to bring back Q, Moneypenny, the gadgets, etc. It was just a matter of time and seeing Bond’s character evolve and that’s part of why I liked Craig’s run.

You’re right that when Bond walks into the shadows in QOS and we never see that version of Bond again, that’s because this Bond has character growth. I don’t think I would have liked seeing Craig keep playing Bond Begins for his entire run. I didn’t even like how QOS tried to back pedal the ending of CR, which promised the imminent return of a classical Bond. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

So by the time we’re in SP and Craig is saying “good evening” to a passerby in Rome after parachuting out of his car, that just shows me how much this Bond has grown. He’s found a way to relax himself in a way he couldn’t in the earlier films. And I’m glad we got there. If Craig’s whole run simply repeated the tone and aesthetics of QOS, I would have stopped seeing these movies and I think large audiences would have too.
    For me qos is that next step. 'there's something horribly efficient about you', Bond is definitely not
    Birdleson wrote: »

My then girlfriend got me the Nintendo 64 console with the GE game when I was 32. Probably because I'd complained my Xmas presents at my age were boring.

I'd never been into video games and when I finally set the thing up and played it I was blown away by it's incredible gameplay!

I've never delved into the Craig era games.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »

My Son got me to play one with Brosnan as Bond, and it was okay. Once. Not a gamer.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,161
    When I got my first personal computer someone gave me NIGHTFIRE, and I played through that. That one along with MYST and THE THIRTEENTH GUEST are the extent of my computer game experience (and the arcades of the late '70s).
  • Folks....Marc Forster cut out too many parts from QoS. Articles are being written expressing just how hard it will be to reboot Bond as films like DAD have deservedly not aged well....can we petition the producers or studio to commission a recut of the movie with some commentary or executive prodcership from Daniel Craig?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Folks....Marc Forster cut out too many parts from QoS. Articles are being written expressing just how hard it will be to reboot Bond as films like DAD have deservedly not aged well....can we petition the producers or studio to commission a recut of the movie with some commentary or executive prodcership from Daniel Craig?

Count me in. A dream come true.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,928
    More of QOS - it's the one thing I want from EON more than anything else. I'm sure EON and Craig would like QOS's reputation to be rehabilitated and anything that'd help more people to like the film could only be good, right? And the original would still exist for the hardcore like us, so it'd be win-win.
    I'd love to know more about scenes that Forster actually filmed and then cut. I can't remember anyone talking about deleted scenes other than the famous one where Bond killed Mr. White, so I don't know how many others there are. Several, I'd hope!
    I've heard that there were a few things that were planned but got dropped and were never filmed - such as when they were on the plane and Mathis was to have told Bond about Philip Masters and Rhoda Llewellyn, as in the Quantum of Solace short story. Big shame that wasn't included -that was the perfect place to include it and Giancarlo Giannini was the ideal person to deliver it. It would've been great, but I've never seen any confirmation that it was actually filmed. Anybody know?
  • Venutius wrote: »
    More of QOS - it's the one thing I want from EON more than anything else. I'm sure EON and Craig would like QOS's reputation to be rehabilitated and anything that'd help more people to like the film could only be good, right? And the original would still exist for the hardcore like us, so it'd be win-win.
    I'd love to know more about scenes that Forster actually filmed and then cut. I can't remember anyone talking about deleted scenes other than the famous one where Bond killed Mr. White, so I don't know how many others there are. Several, I'd hope!
    I've heard that there were a few things that were planned but got dropped and were never filmed - such as when they were on the plane and Mathis was to have told Bond about Philip Masters and Rhoda Llewellyn, as in the Quantum of Solace short story. Big shame that wasn't included -that was the perfect place to include it and Giancarlo Giannini was the ideal person to deliver it. It would've been great, but I've never seen any confirmation that it was actually filmed. Anybody know?

Here is one bit I asked Barbara Broccoli about which she confirmed.....Bond's reaction to Field's' death was supposed to show his remorse for having left her. This was cut off.

Having left Mathis and also Fields when they could have had a better chance at being alive had Bond kept everyone together at the Green planet party...but that remorse could have given Fields a little dignity and more depth that she deserved.
    Sounds good!
  • Folks....Marc Forster cut out too many parts from QoS. Articles are being written expressing just how hard it will be to reboot Bond as films like DAD have deservedly not aged well....can we petition the producers or studio to commission a recut of the movie with some commentary or executive prodcership from Daniel Craig?

Count me in. A dream come true.

In the words of Yusef Kabira, please....make it quick!
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Unlike most actors, SC included, none of them stood by their video games so closely to put their best effort forward than did DC. There's this better feeling about playing Bloodstone than there is 007 Legends because his voice gives you that stamp of approval missing. If he's involved in it, he's played it. It's not like he'd go "use my likes and let the fans play it while I laugh all the way to the bank..."

Strongly disagree.PB clearly enjoyed working on the likes of Everything Or Nothing ( I consider that to be Brosnans fifth and final Bond film ).In the behind the scenes extras on that game,you can tell he’s having a lot of fun.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Strongly disagree.PB clearly enjoyed working on the likes of Everything Or Nothing ( I consider that to be Brosnans fifth and final Bond film ).In the behind the scenes extras on that game,you can tell he’s having a lot of fun.

That was a video game. He was at the time expecting negotiations to continue to his favor where he'd get more money simply for showing up and that maybe his public rather than private complaints about the scripts in his movies would be welcome....nope.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Venutius wrote: »

Here is one bit I asked Barbara Broccoli about which she confirmed.....Bond's reaction to Field's' death was supposed to show his remorse for having left her. This was cut off.

Having left Mathis and also Fields when they could have had a better chance at being alive had Bond kept everyone together at the Green planet party...but that remorse could have given Fields a little dignity and more depth that she deserved.

That would be a good scene definately. I'm warming to that 'redux' idea. Did they have an alternate theme song? Just asking for my ears...

That would be a good scene definately. I'm warming to that 'redux' idea. Did they have an alternate theme song? Just asking for my ears...

They did. They had a couple of alternative songs sang by different artists but the one that comes closest as a final runner up was sang by Shirley Bassey. You'll find it if you type in "rejected Quantum of Solace song".
    Yes, there's even a version of it on youtube that's set to the QOS title sequence!
    Yes, there's even a version of it on youtube that's set to the QOS title sequence!

When we get a QoS producer's edit, I want to see the gun barrel sequence happen right after the killing of Craig Mitchell.