007 references in popular culture

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Roger Moore played Bond in a comedy sketch before he was cast as James Bond; does that count?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger Moore played Bond in a comedy sketch before he was cast as James Bond; does that count?

Yes, and it s been posted here many times.

Unbenownst to @TripAces maybe? I was responding to him, where he asked if Craig was the only Bond to play the character out of context of the films.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This was before RM took the role, so it's a different dynamic.
    Got it. Carry on.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I like that clip, @NickTwentyTwo.

Another anecdote, from 22 March 1963.

1963: Illustrator Robb's work for the Daily Express serialization of On Her Majesty's Secret Service reportedly using Roger Moore as a photo reference.

Other contenders. Suggestions of Sean Connery in The Rock, unofficial, I know.

image-asset_jpeg_375x0_crop_q85.jpg
    A classic here :

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I was looking for plane reference pics, because this is my life now, when I found this lovely piece of GE-inspired art. By Greek design agency faze for Aegean Airlines, part of a series depicting movie incidents that they wouldn't allow on their flights.

03.jpg
    Something else I happened upon yesterday: this is from Trans-Europ-Express (1966). It's the bedroom of a young Belgian man who obviously wishes his life was a little more exciting:

EXDBJvXXgAMqcbl.jpg
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was looking for plane reference pics, because this is my life now, when I found this lovely piece of GE-inspired art. By Greek design agency faze for Aegean Airlines, part of a series depicting movie incidents that they wouldn't allow on their flights.

03.jpg

Wouldn't mind owning a print of this!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2020 Posts: 17,811

03.jpg

I can see why they don't allow that on their flights. Especially if that's the pilot! ;)
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 17,295
    The NTTD title logo is featured in this illustration by Janne Iivonen for an article in The New Yorker:

An editorial illustration commissioned for @newyorkermag for an article about how the film industry is reacting to the pandemic: some studios are postponing their releases until later this year while others, like Universal are making their films available for pay to watch home viewing instead.
    The NTTD title logo is featured in this illustration by Janne Iivonen for an article in The New Yorker:

An editorial illustration commissioned for @newyorkermag for an article about how the film industry is reacting to the pandemic: some studios are postponing their releases until later this year while others, like Universal are making their films available for pay to watch home viewing instead.

Nice. Makes me with I had a NTTD poster.

Nice. Makes me with I had a NTTD poster.

If there was an (official) illustrated NTTD poster, I might have been in the market for one as well!
    May I point out those are dead ringers for the double-taking pigeon (Rock dove) and double-taking dog, both from Moonraker.

Nice panel.
    May I point out those are dead ringers for the double-taking pigeon (Rock dove) and double-taking dog, both from Moonraker.

Nice panel.

Haha, good nice observation!
    Did someone say James Blonde? YouTube recommended this to me for some reason. (Despite the cover shot it's not a tribute to the Third Doctor.)

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Great skit! Some of the jokes didn't land with the audience but I enjoyed it. I am guessing this was during the Roger era? Amazing that they would have that much time between commercials. LOL!
    The outfits look more 60s to me, but I couldn't find a date. I'll admit I've only heard of Carol Burnett because she guest starred in Get Smart, but I've been enjoying these clips and I'll watch more.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's certainly entertaining to see Live And Let Die being a top trending phrase on Twitter today.. :D

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The outfits look more 60s to me, but I couldn't find a date. I'll admit I've only heard of Carol Burnett because she guest starred in Get Smart, but I've been enjoying these clips and I'll watch more.

IMDb says it's from The Carol Burnett Show, Episode #5.21, first aired March 1, 1972.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    mtm wrote: »
    It's certainly entertaining to see Live And Let Die being a top trending phrase on Twitter today.. :D

Yeah, this floored me
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 14,978
    I wonder if he even understood the significance...

Why is he standing so close to those guys?
    mtm wrote: »
    I wonder if he even understood the significance...

Why is he standing so close to those guys?

He is a superiour being and Corona is no threat, or even Corona steers clear of POTUS
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 2,896
    This week's New Yorker has a fascinating article about Victor Vescovo, "the first living creature with blood and bones to reach the deepest point in the Tonga Trench," the deepest part of any ocean (36,000 feet below the surface). After completing his goal in his custom-made submersible, Vescovo ponders the possible reprecussions of his achievement:
    Vescovo had read that the Chinese government has dropped acoustic surveillance devices in and around the Mariana Trench, apparently to spy on U.S. submarines leaving the naval base in Guam; he could damage them. A Soviet nuclear submarine sank in the nineteen-eighties, near the Norwegian coast. Russian and Norwegian scientists have sampled the water inside, and have found that it is highly contaminated. Now Vescovo began to worry that, before long, non-state actors might be able to retrieve and repurpose radioactive materials lying on the seafloor.
    I don’t want to be a Bond villain,” Vescovo told me. But he noted how easy it would be. “You could go around the world with this sub, and put devices on the bottom that are acoustically triggered to cut cables,” he said. “And you short all the stock markets and buy gold, all at the same time. Theoretically, that is possible. Theoretically.”
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,039
    I certainly don't remember that. Fantastic!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

That's a great ad! Yes, I think even James Bond would need a little break after tending to that lot! ;)

Archie Comic No. 159, November 1965
    7426a6ba55c83462fe06d8c1c4aea78f.jpg

I honestly forgot who Inga Bergstrom and Kimberley Jones were!