007 references in popular culture

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    f7b6cfc0a036101a6dd2f6565d024a2b_XL.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sean Connery as August Oyster in the Lucky Luke album Calamity Jane(1967).
    sean-connery.jpg

David Niven as Robert Gainsborough in the same album.
    David%20Niven%20en%20Gainsbourough.jpg
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    89wicwin-guide.png
    amUd-0yQMWF0Pc3M26ya5TrN09c=.gif
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 5,802
    Last friday, I saw the 2013 version of A Caribbean Mystery, featuring Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple. During her vacation in the Caribbeans, the amateur detective attends a conference about birds, and meet Ian Fleming, who tells her that he's writing a spy novel, but that he is stumped because he can't think of a name for his hero. They take place, and the lecturer introduces himself as "Bond. James Bond", which prompts Fleming to note down the name. Funny thing, Bond is played by Charlie Higson himself.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I have no idea why Twitter's algorithms think I might be interested in wheat seeds...

When it crumbles...
    Wheat will stand tall...
    Face the yield together...
    At Skyfall...

Where's Lenny Crumbo and Wee Will Stanton? ;)
    o.jpg
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Stupell-Home-Decor-Collection-24-in-x-30-in-Secret-Agent-James-Bond-Zebra-by-Coco-de-Paris-Framed-Wall-Art-cdp-114-fr-24x30/310408377
    multi-colored-the-stupell-home-decor-collection-canvas-art-cdp-114-fr-24x30-64_600.jpg
    Product Overview
    First came wood, then came canvas, and now we introduce our Framed Giclee Textured Wall Art. We start with a giclee lithograph mounted on wood, and finish it with a texturized brush stroke finish. We didn't stop there though as we fit it within a 1.5 in. thick ebony wood grain frame to add depth and dimension. Ready to hang.

Dimensions: 24 in. x 1.5 in. x 30 in. frame
    Ready to hang
    We start with a giclee lithograph mounted on wood, and finish it with a texturized brush stroke finish we didn't stop there though as we fit it within a 1.5 in. thick ebony wood grain frame to add depth and dimension
    No installation or hardware needed
    Design By Artist Coco de Paris
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Great British Car Journeys is pretty much my favourite thing on TV at the moment: Peter Davison and Christopher Timothy of All Creatures Great and Small reunited and driving around in a 1930s Morgan.

In this episode, they visit the Aston Martin museum and Chris gets to drive an AM tractor: "It may come as a surprise that I never auditioned for James Bond. But I did play James Herriot and I am licensed to drive a tractor."
    edited October 2019 Posts: 12,988
    amazon_uk.png
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Bond-Expecting-Doormat-Multi-Colour/dp/B078TQTVN8/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0/257-8975633-5645357?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078TQTVN8&pd_rd_r=031a7fc0-4ae7-4883-b53f-f6266a3c9e52&pd_rd_w=8XDsT&pd_rd_wg=4KMcy&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V&psc=1&refRID=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V
    James Bond Official Ive Been Expecting You Door Mat

4.8 out of 5 stars 11 customer reviews
    Price: £14.95 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20.00 . Delivery Details
    Size: 40 x 60 cm
    Colour: Multi-colour
    61XEoHiozaL._AC_UY445_.jpg
    Maybe it has been mentioned here before, but I just saw READY PLAYER ONE, and there is a reference to GOLDENEYE the video game as the favourite game of the mythical deseased game creator in the film. Oddjob being his favourite character in the game.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Gerard wrote: »
    How could I forget CSI ? Especially since I used one of these refezrences for a quizz question. In the episode "Bully for You", the team discovers that the victim had his heart on the right side (instead of the left). Grissom makes the connection to Dr. No immediately. Later on, in another case, he says Goldfinger's famous words : "Once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three is enemy action". And later on, during a case that involves horses used for smuggling, he cites Fleming onc again, and tell sara (I believe) that he read the novels when he was younger. Of course, all of that might be due to the fact that in those days, the executive producer was Sarah Goldfinger.

And in CSI : NY, the perps in an episode were a group of information thieves who used high tech gadgets to pull out their heists, including very special Astom Martin. Don't remember the title of the episode, though.

Was it You Only Die Once?
    It's more literary culture than popular culture, but this week's edition of the Times Literary Supplement mentions Bond and Fleming in a review of Japanese Tales of Lafcadio Hearn:
    Nightmare touches: Spine-chilling tales from a Westerner in Japan
    By Damian Flanagan

In the penultimate James Bond novel, You Only Live Twice (1964), just before 007 slays his nemesis Blofeld in a “Castle of Death” in Japan, the criminal mastermind explains to Bond the term “kirisute gomen”: the samurai right to peremptorily lop off the heads of lower orders for perceived insults. Bond hisses, “Spare me the Lafcadio Hearn, Blofeld”. It was no throwaway line by Ian Fleming, who spends the entire novel channelling his own inner Lafcadio Hearn by explaining, at great length, the nuances of Japanese culture to Western readers. In the film version, Donald Pleasence appeared as Blofeld with a scarred eye -- a curious echo of Hearn himself, who was blind and disfigured in one eye.

If anyone would like the whole review (which does not have further Bond content), please let me know. Flanagan himself is Japan expert and a Fleming fan and has discussed You Only Live Twice on other occasions.

"I expect you to smell of piss, Mr Bond."
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Revelator wrote: »
    It's more literary culture than popular culture, but this week's edition of the Times Literary Supplement mentions Bond and Fleming in a review of Japanese Tales of Lafcadio Hearn:
    Nightmare touches: Spine-chilling tales from a Westerner in Japan
    By Damian Flanagan

In the penultimate James Bond novel, You Only Live Twice (1964), just before 007 slays his nemesis Blofeld in a “Castle of Death” in Japan, the criminal mastermind explains to Bond the term “kirisute gomen”: the samurai right to peremptorily lop off the heads of lower orders for perceived insults. Bond hisses, “Spare me the Lafcadio Hearn, Blofeld”. It was no throwaway line by Ian Fleming, who spends the entire novel channelling his own inner Lafcadio Hearn by explaining, at great length, the nuances of Japanese culture to Western readers. In the film version, Donald Pleasence appeared as Blofeld with a scarred eye -- a curious echo of Hearn himself, who was blind and disfigured in one eye.

If anyone would like the whole review (which does not have further Bond content), please let me know. Flanagan himself is Japan expert and a Fleming fan and has discussed You Only Live Twice on other occasions.

Thank you for the notification, @Revelator. I'll pick up a copy of that edition. I buy the TLS sometimes.
    Great British Car Journeys is pretty much my favourite thing on TV at the moment: Peter Davison and Christopher Timothy of All Creatures Great and Small reunited and driving around in a 1930s Morgan.

In this episode, they visit the Aston Martin museum and Chris gets to drive an AM tractor: "It may come as a surprise that I never auditioned for James Bond. But I did play James Herriot and I am licensed to drive a tractor."

Hahaha brilliant,good old Chris !
    amazon_uk.png
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Bond-Expecting-Doormat-Multi-Colour/dp/B078TQTVN8/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0/257-8975633-5645357?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078TQTVN8&pd_rd_r=031a7fc0-4ae7-4883-b53f-f6266a3c9e52&pd_rd_w=8XDsT&pd_rd_wg=4KMcy&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V&psc=1&refRID=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V
    James Bond Official Ive Been Expecting You Door Mat

4.8 out of 5 stars 11 customer reviews
    Price: £14.95 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20.00 . Delivery Details
    Size: 40 x 60 cm
    Colour: Multi-colour
    61XEoHiozaL._AC_UY445_.jpg

Very very tempting..... :-?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Hahaha brilliant,good old Chris !

I've always had a low-level crush on Chris T, so it's good to know he's as lovely as he always comes across in All Creatures.

In episode 2 they meet the owner of a Sunbeam Alpine, and as they're driving away Peter, petrolhead that he is, points out that there was one in the first Bond film...
    Mark Strong channelling his inner Blofeld?

This is rather minor, but I really like the tie-in. The latest Quentin Tarantino movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has commercials and promos from an actual L.A. pop radio station from the time period the film is set in, 1969 and a little earlier.

The station did a promotional contest with the Batman TV series when it first came on, although it was about 3 years before the events of the movie, but still a cool extra. Anyway, some of the background music comes from Thunderball, it sounds like the music when the aquaparas dive into battle against the SPECTRE forces.

It was interesting as Bond and spies were the biggest pop culture phenomenon and Batman was becoming the next big thing, so it was like those two things coming together or a passing of the torch.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    In one of my favourite current TV shows, 'Mr In Between' about an Aussie hitman, two of the characters ranked their favourite Bonds. Love the way they refer to Daniel Craig, There's a link to the scene below. It's one of the best shows (after the sublime 'Succession'.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/goldenglobesvideo/mr-inbetween-exclusive-stakeout-clip-season-2/vp-AAHTnvV
    In one of my favourite current TV shows, 'Mr In Between' about an Aussie hitman, two of the characters ranked their favourite Bonds. Love the way they refer to Daniel Craig, There's a link to the scene below. It's one of the best shows (after the sublime 'Succession'.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/goldenglobesvideo/mr-inbetween-exclusive-stakeout-clip-season-2/vp-AAHTnvV

Pretty funny.
    How could I forget that one, given that I used it as a Trivia Quizz Question way back when :

From 1982 to 1995, a political TV show, L'heure de Vérité, used the instrumental bridge from Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die as a title theme.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sean Connery in GF is featured in the Ford V Ferrari film that's coming out this week (I saw it last night). During a sales pitch scene where they explain why young people don't buy Ford cars, they show an image of Sean Connery, with Jon Bernthal saying 'James Bond doesn't drive a Ford'.
    And a few years later...

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    And another few decades later...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    In Jon Bernthal's defense, he made his pitch in 1965 ;-)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,554
    Sean Connery in GF is featured in the Ford V Ferrari film that's coming out this week (I saw it last night). During a sales pitch scene where they explain why young people don't buy Ford cars, they show an image of Sean Connery, with Jon Bernthal saying 'James Bond doesn't drive a Ford'.

And Henry Ford II says, "That's because he's a degenerate." LOL. As has already been pointed out, the line has some irony.

This classic image is what is shown in the slideshow during that presentation:

msdgold_ec041.jpg
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,388

Looks cool. What did they call Craig? I didn't understand that bit...