007 references in popular culture

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In Special Correspondents, someone says about Eric Bana s character that he comes strutting in like James Bond. Maybe a reference to him being considered or at least mentioned in the media earlier.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,802
    "The name's is Allen. Barry Allen."

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    amazon_uk.png
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Bond-Expecting-Doormat-Multi-Colour/dp/B078TQTVN8/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0/257-8975633-5645357?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078TQTVN8&pd_rd_r=031a7fc0-4ae7-4883-b53f-f6266a3c9e52&pd_rd_w=8XDsT&pd_rd_wg=4KMcy&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V&psc=1&refRID=SA6VW96XGF2WVFV44M4V
    James Bond Official Ive Been Expecting You Door Mat

4.8 out of 5 stars 11 customer reviews
    Price: £14.95 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20.00 . Delivery Details
    Size: 40 x 60 cm
    Colour: Multi-colour
    61XEoHiozaL._AC_UY445_.jpg

This belongs to "Coolest thing you'll see all day thread". I want one so badly.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,802
    I remembered having seen that poster :

L_Espion_aux_pattes_de_velours.jpg

Yes, that's the french poster for That Darn Cat.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, that's the french poster for That Darn Cat.

Oh my goodness. I've never seen this and I love it to bits.
    Cover for the newest issue of Doctor Who Magazine. Jane Blonde indeed :

image.php?pid=27258&w=500
    Jodie Whittaker looks outrageously hot in that outfit. And I say this as a straight woman.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    71lHQ4HZILL._SX425_.jpg

Bond is mentioned a The New York Review of Books article, "The Long, Dark History of Russia’s Murder, Inc."
    The last fortnight has seen new revelations in two separate cases of suspected Russian state murder. In one of these cases, the alleged hit squad was directly a unit of the GRU, Russia’s military intelligence service. In the other, German authorities recently concluded that there is “sufficient evidence” that the Russian state, or its federated southern republic Chechnya, is responsible for the execution-style killing of an ethnic Chechen asylum-seeker; as a result, two officers of the GRU have been expelled from the Russian embassy in Berlin. According to the newspaper Le Monde, citing French intelligence, the GRU has for several years maintained a rear base of operations in the Haute-Savoie region of the French Alps.

The GRU, also responsible for interfering in the 2016 US presidential election, is now believed to have been liquidating the enemies of President Vladimir Putin throughout Europe, including in NATO countries. The idea of a roving gang of secret-agent assassins gathering at an Alpine retreat to plot the destruction of their sinister leader’s enemies might seem like the premise for Daniel Craig’s latest outing as 007, but this plotline has historical antecedents long predating Ian Fleming.

As literary Bond fans will recall, GRU was behind Drax's rocket in Moonraker.
    And helped Bond in Colonel Sun.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Season 10, episode 1 of Married at First Sight features a groom-to-be saying he's "James Bond" while trying on tuxedos.

(Don't ask why I am watching this show. LOL)
    In the most recent episode of QI - series Q ("Quills"), they talk a bit about Bond:

That was great, @Torgeirtrap, enjoyed it a lot for the material presented, the responses, and just as much the audience reactions.

Nobody minded, I did notice the first question on the novels didn't have an answer (by design). And it wasn't the point of the very entertaining discussion of the Bond Theme, but I note John Barry wasn't mentioned there unfortunately.

So I will add Charles Fraser-Smith to the On This Day thread, so far an omission.

• edited January 2020 Posts: 17,272
    That was great, @Torgeirtrap, enjoyed it a lot for the material presented, the responses, and just as much the audience reactions.

Nobody minded, I did notice the first question on the novels didn't have an answer (by design). And it wasn't the point of the very entertaining discussion of the Bond Theme, but I note John Barry wasn't mentioned there unfortunately.

So I will add Charles Fraser-Smith to the On This Day thread, so far an omission.

Yeah, it's a bit unfortunate that John Barry wasn't mentioned @RichardTheBruce, but they probably wanted to quickly move to the point about the origins of the James Bond Theme. The cool thing about QI (one of many things really), is that they also air QI XL episodes, which are extended repeat broadcasts. I'll keep an eye out for that episode, in case there's more Bond talk in that one.
    ________

It's not the first time James Bond has been a topic of discussion on QI though:

• edited January 2020 Posts: 17,272
    More about Bond on QI XS, which are videos featuring the researchers from QI, where they discuss topics from each episode. At the end of this video they have a little Bond quiz:

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,438
    In episode
    from Killing Eve there is a scene with old guy who is named Quartermaster and showing a suite case with things in it. Official on tv (Dutch tv only a couple of weaks later then Uk/Vs release date) in the year that Desmond LLewelyn dies 20 years a go.
    I noticed a line in 1917: "There's only one way this war ends—last man standing."

I know it is a common phrase, but considering it is Mendes-could be a slight nod to SF.
    Right now, they're playing the episode "Cat Showdown" from the 1990s series Sabrina the Teenage Witch. In it, Sabrina and Salem attend a cat show to try and win some much-needed money, and one of the competitors is bald, has a scar on his face, and owns a white cat. If that's not a reference, it should be.

sabrinacatshowdown04.jpg
    James Bond gets a mention in Thursday's episode of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown:

I noticed a line in 1917: "There's only one way this war ends—last man standing."

I know it is a common phrase, but considering it is Mendes-could be a slight nod to SF.

I noticed the line but didn't make the connection. Good spot! (I enjoyed the film, too.)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Apologies if this has already been noted...

I finally saw the musical Hamilton. There are several songs which were clearly inspired by the Bond theme.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I’m watching The Office (US) while in isolation and I’m counting Bond references. So far at four, I’m at S7E11.

In this last one Carells character is wearing a Christmas themed tux and introduces himself as “Santa... James Santa”.
    In Ford v Ferrari, Lee Iacocca shows a picture of Bond with his Aston Martin at a Ford symposium, to drive down the point that the young generation want slicker, faster cars, and Henry Ford II (excellently played by Jeff Daniels) replies that Bond is a "degenerate".
    The great Spanish film director Pedro Almodovar has written an essay on living through Spanish lockdown and "What He’s Watching in Quarantine":
    I surprise myself with my choice for the evening as I decide to go for a James Bond film, Goldfinger. On days like these (that’s what I thought), the best thing is pure entertainment, pure escapism.

As I’m watching Goldfinger, I feel happy about my choice; rather than me choosing it, it was the film that chose me. I met Sean Connery, we were sitting side by side at dinner in Cannes, and I was surprised by his film knowledge, and in particular by the fact that he could have any interest in my work. He no longer lived in Marbella, but he still adored Spain. We parted as friends and exchanged phone numbers – which I was sure neither of us would ever use. And yet, a few months later, it was 2001/2002, he phoned me as he was coming out of a screening of Talk to Her. I am not a fetishist, nor a mythomaniac, but hearing him talking about my film left me overwhelmed. As did listening to his deep voice, that of a good actor and an attractive man. I was thinking about all this whilst watching Goldfinger that evening. The quarantine, the night, Sean Connery and I, racing thoughts and interruptions included...

When there’s no longer light coming through the window I start watching Goldfinger. I am once more fascinated by Shirley Bassey, and the brief appearance of another Shirley, Shirley Eaton, the beautiful actress who paid a very high price for falling into Bond’s arms. Her body painted in gold, lying on the bed, with not one pore left able to breath, is still one of the most powerful images created by the franchise in order to portray desire/greed/eroticism and the madness of super-powerful villains whose only ambition is to destroy the world, with only their vassals surviving.
    Just finished watching The Office (US), took about a month, and there ended up being 8 or 9 Bond references. The last one was Stanley talking about how much he liked Skyfall; many of the references compared Dwight to Bond villany.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 12,988
    Revelator wrote: »
    The great Spanish film director Pedro Almodovar has written an essay on living through Spanish lockdown and "What He’s Watching in Quarantine":
    I surprise myself with my choice for the evening as I decide to go for a James Bond film, Goldfinger. On days like these (that’s what I thought), the best thing is pure entertainment, pure escapism.

As I’m watching Goldfinger, I feel happy about my choice; rather than me choosing it, it was the film that chose me. I met Sean Connery, we were sitting side by side at dinner in Cannes, and I was surprised by his film knowledge, and in particular by the fact that he could have any interest in my work. He no longer lived in Marbella, but he still adored Spain. We parted as friends and exchanged phone numbers – which I was sure neither of us would ever use. And yet, a few months later, it was 2001/2002, he phoned me as he was coming out of a screening of Talk to Her. I am not a fetishist, nor a mythomaniac, but hearing him talking about my film left me overwhelmed. As did listening to his deep voice, that of a good actor and an attractive man. I was thinking about all this whilst watching Goldfinger that evening. The quarantine, the night, Sean Connery and I, racing thoughts and interruptions included...

When there’s no longer light coming through the window I start watching Goldfinger. I am once more fascinated by Shirley Bassey, and the brief appearance of another Shirley, Shirley Eaton, the beautiful actress who paid a very high price for falling into Bond’s arms. Her body painted in gold, lying on the bed, with not one pore left able to breath, is still one of the most powerful images created by the franchise in order to portray desire/greed/eroticism and the madness of super-powerful villains whose only ambition is to destroy the world, with only their vassals surviving.

What a golden sliver of insight, @Revelator. Really enjoyed that.

Just finished watching The Office (US), took about a month, and there ended up being 8 or 9 Bond references. The last one was Stanley talking about how much he liked Skyfall; many of the references compared Dwight to Bond villany.

@NickTwentyTwo, I like those call-outs. Not sure how many fit into this.

edited April 2020 Posts: 7,526
    Tsai Chin from YOLT and CR is on Grey’s Anatomy as Christina Yang (Sandra Oh)‘a mother. Not really a reference, but oh well.

Also in the first episode of this show they refer to one character as “007”, and when someone asks why, it’s because he has a “license to kill”, which means he’s a bad surgeon.

Really working my way through the TV dramas during quarantine.
    Insurance firm Direct Line is currently sponsoring the Film4 film channel and showing brief spots in which their staff deal with claims from movie characters.

The Bond one is third, starting at 00:18:

Something to watch for. 5 May. Maybe Jerry's feeling the delay.

200426-seinfeld-james-bond-poster-472.jpg?ssl=1

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,554
    David J's 1992 tune "Tinseltown" includes the line "Could have been a contender / Could have been the new Bond."

I'd forgotten all about this until recently, when the song popped up on shuffle on one of my playlists.

Birdleson wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge, Craig is the only Bond actor to "portray" Bond in paratexts: skits and performances outside the films. He played Bond in two SNL appearances; on Colbert; on Jimmy Kimmel; in the Women's Day promotion; in the 2012 Olympics opening; and on Red Nose Day.