007 references in popular culture

Comments

I always assumed this phrase was invented by Fleming for Goldfinger; was it?

In the book Goldfinger says "Mr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.' Miami, Sandwich and now Geneva. I propose to wring the truth out of you."

Fleming had been to Chicago and was fascinated by gangsters (one of the first places he wanted to see was the site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre), so it's likely he picked up the phrase during his visit.

Here's the Chicago chapter from his travel book Thrilling Cities.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks @Revelator; I’ve actually got Thrilling Cities but haven’t read it yet to my embarrassment.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,275
    There's a brief mention of FRWL in the fourth episode of Grantchester series 5, in which the Reverend William Davenport and DI Geordie Keating are investigating the death of a student who had been partaking in an LSD test program set up by his professor. In one of the scenes, the Reverend asks DI Keating: "Have you read this?", holding up a copy of The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, to which the DI replies: "I’m still halfway through From Russia, With Love".
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Apple played the Bond theme during their iPhone 12 event, to introduce the iPhone 12 Mini (out of a nesting series of metal briefcases... very spy-esque I suppose). Apple Bond partnership?

I'd love that. I've been wedded to Macs for years so I've always missed out on the cool tie-in tech (though I did carry round a CR-branded USB stick until it broke).
    It's long been acknowledged that Jon Pertwee is the James Bond incarnation of the Doctor, but I've only just come across this line from Frontier in Space.

Jo complains that working in Intelligence is distinctly unglamorous, although her friends think she's "...running around...

Enq6lh-XMAM7PN2.jpg
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 17,275
    It's not an exact reference to Bond, but reading Anthony Horowitz' latest novel, Moonflower Murders, I found it quite amusing that there's a mention of a novel very late in the book, written by one of the minor characters of the story. The name of the novel: Time to Die.

There's even a brief mention of MGM in Moonflower Murders too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,554
    John LeCarre (RIP) edition:

In the film version of The Constant Gardener, the topic of James Bond is brought up as characters are playing a round of golf. Ironic, of course, in that both Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz starred in the film--which was released just weeks prior to the announcement of Craig as the new 007.

The film also stars Donald Sumpter in a supporting role. Sumpter would go on to have a small role in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Another note: while up late watching Clint Eastwood's 1976 film Magnum Force I caught this line when the villains are inspecting a taser gun: "This looks like something out of a James Bond movie.":
    Not a direct reference at all, but I'm currently reading Aukrust i hundre – a book marking the centennial of celebrated author and illustrator Kjell Aukrust (1920-2002).

In the book, a number of illustrators have made their tributes to Aukrust – one of them a tribute placing Aukrust as a Q like character in the universe of Krüger & Krogh – a Norwegian spy-fi comic book series. Aukrust was known for making up whacky inventions for his illustrations and stories (I've included one of these illustrations – a Christmas machine – in the spoiler tag below), and his comic book equivalent is no different, presenting the two main characters with a not so discrete company car and its gadgets.
    GxRR2WX-qtxzY80SAV8TlQegsJJKGejX4Dn1eAuZ89eA.jpg
    The Christmas machine
    A physical version of Aukrust's Christmas machine was made for TV back in 1973 (as seen in the clip this article).
    1JZgWaa.jpg
    Kjell Aukrust as a Q like comic book character
    A follow up to the post about Krüger & Krogh: In the second and most recent story in the K&K series, Bond and the Rolex Submariner is briefly mentioned. The story takes place in 1964, the same year GF was released.
    6OsVJgY.jpg
    lvsCOzz.jpg
    I'm currently reading The Word Is Murder, the first novel in the Daniel Daniel Hawthorne series, written by Anthony Horowitz. In the book, Horowitz is himself one of the characters of the story, approached by former Detective Inspector Hawthorne to write a book about him, and they pair up to solve a murder mystery. In one of the chapters, Horowitz mentions the challenges of giving a book a good title, and how many of the best titles are borrowed from elsewhere. Ian fleming gets a mention too. As Horowitz writes:
    «For my money, nobody has beaten Ian Fleming: From Russia, with Love; You Only Live Twice, Live and Let Die. His titles have passed into the English language although even he didn’t find it easy. Live and Let Die was almost published as ‘The Undertaker’s Wind’. Moonraker was ‘The Moonraker Secret’, ‘The Moonraker Plot’, ‘The Moonraker Plan’ and even, for a short time, ‘Mondays Are Hell’, while Goldfinger began life as ‘The Richest Man in the World’.»
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm currently reading The Word Is Murder, the first novel in the Daniel Daniel Hawthorne series, written by Anthony Horowitz. In the book, Horowitz is himself one of the characters of the story, approached by former Detective Inspector Hawthorne to write a book about him, and they pair up to solve a murder mystery. In one of the chapters, Horowitz mentions the challenges of giving a book a good title, and how many of the best titles are borrowed from elsewhere. Ian fleming gets a mention too. As Horowitz writes:
    «For my money, nobody has beaten Ian Fleming: From Russia, with Love; You Only Live Twice, Live and Let Die. His titles have passed into the English language although even he didn’t find it easy. Live and Let Die was almost published as ‘The Undertaker’s Wind’. Moonraker was ‘The Moonraker Secret’, ‘The Moonraker Plot’, ‘The Moonraker Plan’ and even, for a short time, ‘Mondays Are Hell’, while Goldfinger began life as ‘The Richest Man in the World’.»

He hit it on the head with those first three titles listed. Fleming's best were always when he put a spin on a commonly used phrase.
    Highbrow literary periodical Viz has something for us this month.

EsGMXP4XUAATJql.jpg

Pulls no punches.

EsXRvzmXAAMlPXW.jpg
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 17,275

He hit it on the head with those first three titles listed. Fleming's best were always when he put a spin on a commonly used phrase.

Completely agree!

Finished the book a few days ago, and Moonraker even gets another mention later in the book (although a very brief mention). It was actually quite fun to see him giving Fleming such attention in the story. Agatha Christie is also mentioned several times throughout the book.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Highbrow literary periodical Viz has something for us this month.

EsGMXP4XUAATJql.jpg

Pulls no punches.

EsXRvzmXAAMlPXW.jpg

Viz is sort of the British Mad Magazine, right?

Sort of! It's modelled on kids' comics like the Beano and Dandy, and it's incredibly childish, full of fart and willy jokes. (I am secretly very fond of Viz.)

Sort of! It's modelled on kids' comics like the Beano and Dandy, and it's incredibly childish, full of fart and willy jokes. (I am secretly very fond of Viz.)

Interesting! Never had the chance to read it myself, but I don't know what the availability is outside UK. It certainly doesn't look like they're afraid of holding back with their jokes, looking at that Connery comic!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The character style on the cover looks like it's drawn by Don Martin from Mad magazine.
    Interesting! Never had the chance to read it myself, but I don't know what the availability is outside UK. It certainly doesn't look like they're afraid of holding back with their jokes, looking at that Connery comic!

They really don't - they make fun of everyone, right-wing, left-wing, feminists, sexists. (That's long-running character Sid The Sexist at the wheel of the DB5, and Johnny Fartpants in the jetpack.)
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 17,275

They really don't - they make fun of everyone, right-wing, left-wing, feminists, sexists. (That's long-running character Sid The Sexist at the wheel of the DB5, and Johnny Fartpants in the jetpack.)

Haha, those two character names must be telling enough what to expect from reading Viz!
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 17,275
    No video unfortunately, but the most recent series of the Danish cooking show Spise med Price (Eat with Price), takes the two TV chef brothers Adam and James Price to Great Britain, and the first episode features several Bond references – even a visit to Q's lab. On top of that, the name of the first episode is I hendes majestæts spiselige tjeneste (In Her Majesty's Edible Service).
    nOIayAp.png
    xohM4QS.png
    ElPdtSY.png
    hw9ABRP.png
    This seems like the right place to plug my friend Ed's article in the latest International Journal of James Bond Studies:

Live and Let Evolve: The James Bond Titles
    The titles of the James Bond books and films are well-established in the cultural milieu. In some cases, they have become as much a part of popular idiom as the phrases from which they themselves have derived (e.g. Live and Let Die). Such is their appeal and familiarity that the titles are commonly employed in contexts away from the world of James Bond. This article examines the use of the Bond titles in four spheres: company names, newspaper headlines, books, and children’s television series.
    This seems like the right place to plug my friend Ed's article in the latest International Journal of James Bond Studies

Many thanks--I didn't know a new issue was out. I've now read and enjoyed several of the new articles (including the enticing book reviews). I'm very glad this journal exists--it's about time Fleming and Bond became objects of academic study, rather than hostile critique.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,351
    MI6 is looking for a new deputy to the Chief of MI6 responsible for the teams who create and adopt technologies. They are officially calling this position: "Q". Or rather "Director General Q":
    https://www.saxbam.com/appointment/mi6/
    https://www.saxbam.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/AAMARD-Candidate-Brief-DG-Q-1.pdf

You are Q.

More formally, you are Director General Q, one of the deputies to the Chief of MI6 (C). MI6 needs to be at the cutting-edge of technology in order to stay ahead. As Q you are responsible for the teams who create and adopt technologies to enable our mission against the UK’s hardest adversaries. You turn disruptive technologies from threats to our operations into opportunities, putting MI6 at the leading edge of digital innovation.

Normally, I would ask if anyone here was going for it but
    In accordance with MI6 standard security practices, you must not discuss your application or intention to apply with anybody except a partner or close family member.
    A recent video from the Youtube channel Today I Found Out, covers the real life inspirations of Q:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Re-watching Peter Kay's Car Share, the unscripted episode has a short bit about The Bond films.
    Peter Kay's character is a big fan and on hearing Kayleigh, his car share friend. Has never
    seen a Bond film, He looks shocked and tells her to get out and walk ! :D
    This week's New Statesman has an article by John Gray on Len Deighton and spy fiction. He briefly holds his nose to mention Bond:

"A vulgar version of the romantic tradition was continued by Ian Fleming in the James Bond books, where a thuggish and misogynistic operative with superhuman physical powers and an armoury of high-tech gadgets is pitted against cartoon figures of diabolical evil."
    Revelator wrote: »
    "A vulgar version of the romantic tradition was continued by Ian Fleming in the James Bond books, where a thuggish and misogynistic operative with superhuman physical powers and an armoury of high-tech gadgets is pitted against cartoon figures of diabolical evil."

SOMEONE hasn't actually bothered to read those books.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Exactly what I thought. Lazy and assumptious.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Exactly what I thought. Lazy and assumptious.

He's only watched the films by the sounds of it and assumed the novels are carbon copies of them. Just another Malcolm Muggeridge type who savaged his late friend Ian Fleming's novels in an article shortly after his death even though he admitted he'd only actually read one of them - Goldfinger.

Exactly. Gray is lazily repeating the usual boilerplate that fans of "serious" spy fiction trot out when they mention Fleming.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Just another Malcolm Muggeridge type

Good comparison--Gray and Muggeridge were both pundits with mysteriously high and undeserved reputations among the British intelligentsia.