Most Hospitable Villain

edited November 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 317
Many Bond movies tend to share the same recipe of evil yet hospitable villains. These villains, though evil seem to find a way to accommodate Mr. Bond in various ways before attempting to send Bond to his death. Dr. No, Hugo Drax, and Kamal Khan just to name a few all winded and dined their guests. Which one was the most hospitable 'host' ?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Francisco Scaramanga. He gave Bond a tour of his island and had dinner with him. Pretty stand up guy for an assassin.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Scaramanga's a good choice. I think I would go with Dr. No, as he gave Bond and Honey a room, new clothes, a nice meal, etc.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dr. No. The original and best.
  • Dr Kananga was the first name that came to mind, but should of gone with Francisco Scaramanga as a first choice. If you go through them all that caters for this thread piece you would include names such as Dr No, Goldfinger, Dr Kananga, Scaramanga, Kamal Khan, and for some reason I struggled after that. I'll backtrack and have Scaramanga as first pick
    Largo inviting Bond to Palmera for Sunday lunch. And he gets to see some 'Golden Grotto' sharks (which will come in handy later) and he feasts his eyes on Domino. What could be more pleasant than that?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    First choice: Scaramanga
    2nd choice: Dr. No
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,896
    If 1) at the time of being hospitable, Bond doesn't need to be aware that they're the villain, and 2) you class Elektra as TWINE's villain, then Elektra wins the title.

If not, it has to be Dr.No.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Dr. No :-B
    It has to be Dr No. I mean he even checks if Bond is sleeping well!
    Ludovico wrote:

And he adjusts the duvet to make sure Bond's nipples aren't chaffing.
    Perhaps not entirely appropriate as he never knew the full story about Bond at this point, but Sanchez was very hospitable until he discovered Bond's true motives. I always remember his look of genuine affection when he asks Bond if he wants cream or sugar with his coffee! And what luxury he gets to stay in. Always liked the extreme contrast of Sanchez that you get with most villains but more so with him I think-a really nice guy to those he likes and trusts, and an evil, ruthless ba***rd to anyone else!
    Ludovico wrote:

There is something fatherly in his attitude towards Bond. Something I miss from Bond Villains since... Well since maybe the beginning of the Connery era.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

There is something fatherly in his attitude towards Bond. Something I miss from Bond Villains since... Well since maybe the beginning of the Connery era.

Hey now, Silva acted in a perfectly fatherly way towards Bond... in Mississippi, at least...
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    Why not Gustav Graves? Treating Bond to that great party in the ice castle, with fine drinks, fine company, and nice music.

"Now, let us brighten the evening with our inner radiance!"
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Why not Gustav Graves? Treating Bond to that great party in the ice castle, with fine drinks, fine company, and nice music.

"Now, let us brighten the evening with our inner radiance!"

I wouldn't pay to get there.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote:
    Francisco Scaramanga. He gave Bond a tour of his island and had dinner with him. Pretty stand up guy for an assassin.

I agree. The friendliest, even most likeable Bond villain of them all, plus TMWTGG is the least violent of all the Bond films. James Bond actually only kills one person in this one - Fransisco Scaramanga himself.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Scaramanga is probably the most hospitable but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sanchez.
    Scaramanga is probably the most hospitable but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sanchez.

This:
    Trigger wrote:
    Perhaps not entirely appropriate as he never knew the full story about Bond at this point, but Sanchez was very hospitable until he discovered Bond's true motives. I always remember his look of genuine affection when he asks Bond if he wants cream or sugar with his coffee! And what luxury he gets to stay in. Always liked the extreme contrast of Sanchez that you get with most villains but more so with him I think-a really nice guy to those he likes and trusts, and an evil, ruthless ba***rd to anyone else!

Yes, though don't forget that that is largely because for 90% of the film Sanchez believes that Bond is on his side, not secretly working against him and his drugs empire like an asp to his breast, if you will.

This:
    Trigger wrote:

Thanks for that quote, @WillyGalore. @Trigger's quote reminds me of a section in the Ian Fleming-Raymond Chandler 1958 BBC Radio conversation where Chandler says something very similar about the nice, presentable sides to the villain. Fleming chipped in to say that it's very difficult to portray a villain who is not to be pitied as a psychopath or as a sick man.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think that Sanchez (somehow) not knowing that Bond is his enemy disqualifies him. I vote for Scaramanga because he does not have Bond beaten or imprisoned like Dr. No does.
    pachazo wrote:
    I think that Sanchez (somehow) not knowing that Bond is his enemy disqualifies him. I vote for Scaramanga because he does not have Bond beaten or imprisoned like Dr. No does.

Very much agreed, @pachazo. Why didn't I say that?!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    ok, top 5:

Kangana
    Largo
    Kamal Khan
    Dr No
    Scaramanga

• I'd go with Dr No. He was very hospitable and was considering turning Bond until he realised Bond was going to have none of it.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I nominate Aris Kristatos also. He seems incredibly friendly at first, what with his amiable manner when discussing Bibi and Ferrara.
  • Dr. No and Scaramanga most likely. Sanchez and Elektra were both very hospitable, but neither were traditional situations. Dr. No and Scarmanga both knew they were going to kill Bond (or at least try to), and Bond knew he was going to kill them.
    I nominate Aris Kristatos also. He seems incredibly friendly at first, what with his amiable manner when discussing Bibi and Ferrara.

True, though again he was not pictured asw the villain from the get-go but was seen as an ally, so perhaps this exempts him, no? A bit like Bond and Sanchez, only in reverse as Bond thought that Kristatos was his ally. In Bond villainy context is everything.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2013 Posts: 5,080
    Dragonpol wrote:

True, though again he was not pictured asw the villain from the get-go but was seen as an ally, so perhaps this exempts him, no? A bit like Bond and Sanchez, only in reverse as Bond thought that Kristatos was his ally. In Bond villainy context is everything.

Possibly, but @Coldfinger was a bit vague in the criteria he set out for this thread. Maybe some expansion for this thread so as to exclude villains such as Sanchez, King and Kristatos?

Also, though as you said, the audience didn't know at the time, Kristatos did wine and dine with Bond before, unknowingly, he ordered Kriegler to kill Bond.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Possibly, but @Coldfinger was a bit vague in the criteria he set out for this thread. Maybe some expansion for this thread so as to exclude villains such as Sanchez, King and Kristatos?

Also, though as you said, the audience didn't know at the time, Kristatos did wine and dine with Bond before, unknowingly, he ordered Kriegler to kill Bond.

Yes, rather like Prince Kamal Khan discussing torture methods with Bond over a sumptuous dinner in Octopussy. I suppose that it could be argued that most Bond villains engage in this type of showy behaviour to a greater or lesser extent.
  • Coldfinger wrote:
    Many Bond movies tend to share the same recipe of evil yet hospitable villains. These villains, though evil seem to find a way to accommodate Mr. Bond in various ways before attempting to send Bond to his death. Dr. No, Hugo Drax, and Kamal Khan just to name a few all winded and dined their guests. Which one was the most hospitable 'host' ?

What, a cucumber sandwich ? It wasn't the most extravagant of hospitalities..

I think you meant to say 'wined and dined', also...

Say again, can't look beyond Dr No, Scaramanga or even Sanchez, but of course the latter wasn't even aware Bond was working against him, for most of that years release, as previously mentioned. Maybe Largo from Thunderball was worth a mention, as he did look after Bond and invited him to dinner, but I haven't seen that particular release for a very long time