Rolling Stone ranks the Bond movies

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Whether it's Travers, or anyone else, that puts Goldfinger in a #1 position, it always generates a certain level of humor - if not bewilderment. I wouldn't even have it in the top 15 of all the releases, but then again, it's often perceived as 'everyone's favorite' (isn't it) - even though I can't see beyond it's a rather long and mundane road to travel. Even Connery looks bored throughout it all

It gets worse with Die Another Day in the top ten (was this individual on some illegal substances), and Octopussy and Moonraker deserve far better than where they are placed, 16th and 15th respectively. Lo and behold, you have License to Kill and The Living Daylights in the bottom three ?

After that, I kind of lost interest. Has Travers even seen a James Bond release ? That there list is not above chicken litter

Travers probably used a number randomizer online and then proceeded to plug the titles into a list. It's abysmal. I can understand GF getting #1 - like you said, it's the favorite of many people - but what stands out to me is DAD getting 10th place with the other three Brosnan films (typically seen as the better of the four) getting such low rankings.
    We are all Bondfans and we all seem to have different tastes, every time a person shows a list he will be called ignorant or whatever because people disagree. I generally have a look and take it for granted. It is always nice to see something about 007, as long as people write about him he is interesting enough to make another movie or book.

Unless you generalise and complain about an actor and how he cannot have played in a single good movie, and you get proven wrong immediately. than you are perhaps kind of stupid. Vin Diesel like Wayne Johnson are both in to many decent movies to dislike. ;)
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Come on, Wiz. He'll only come back and say you were too chicken to answer the rest of his points. Finish what you started, if only for me.

Sorry but there's no reasoning with a bloke who contravenes the Wizard's first rule of cinema: 'If a film stars Vin Disel, don't watch it.'

But @Wiz, surely that rule doesn't apply to The Pacifier? ;-)

EDIT: I've just noticed that someone here actually likes The Pacifier!! Bang goes that joke then!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I assume Saving Private Ryan has him in a small enough role that it passes?

Saving Private Ryan is the exception that proves the rule (and besides its no like he has a leading role).
    SaintMark wrote:

Unless you generalise and complain about an actor and how he cannot have played in a single good movie, and you get proven wrong immediately. than you are perhaps kind of stupid. Vin Diesel like Wayne Johnson are both in to many decent movies to dislike. ;)

I've read that sentence about 4 times and am still struggling to understand it. I hope the winking emoticon means you are being ironic because the alternative is too terrifying to contemplate.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Come on, Wiz. He'll only come back and say you were too chicken to answer the rest of his points. Finish what you started, if only for me.

Sorry but there's no reasoning with a bloke who contravenes the Wizard's first rule of cinema: 'If a film stars Vin Disel, don't watch it.'

But @Wiz, surely that rule doesn't apply to The Pacifier? ;-)

EDIT: I've just noticed that someone here actually likes The Pacifier!! Bang goes that joke then!

Some people on here are beyond satire Willy.

It really does make you despair. I swear that this whole forum is just some elaborate hoax by a distant relative designed to drive me into an early grave so they can inherit my vast estate, like in The Hound OfThe Baskervilles.

Either that or I'm currently sitting in Broadmoor in the cell between Sutcliffe and Brady* for going on a murderous rampage and this is all a tranquliser induced hallucination of my diseased mind. To be honest I think thats preferable to living in a world where people actually enjoy Vin's body of work.

* Yes I know Bradys in Ashworth - its called artistic licence.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,279
    SaintMark wrote:
    as for the 1st xXx movie I kind of liked it, mostly due to Vin Diesel.

I'm out.

:-)

Lol....Quite right.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    We are all Bondfans and we all seem to have different tastes, every time a person shows a list he will be called ignorant or whatever because people disagree. I generally have a look and take it for granted. It is always nice to see something about 007, as long as people write about him he is interesting enough to make another movie or book.

I imagine if I posted my list, very few would call me ignorant. They'd disagree with me on a few points, but my list wouldn't come in for the thrashing that has been meted out to Travers'. And the same could be said for any number of MI6 posters' lists.

SaintMark wrote:

I imagine if I posted my list, very few would call me ignorant. They'd disagree with me on a few points, but my list wouldn't come in for the thrashing that has been meted out to Travers'. And the same could be said for any number of MI6 posters' lists.

Anyone is entitled to an opinion but I think the issue most people have with Travers list is the comments he has given, they just seem like soundbites and cliched comments that have been recycled over the years such as Dalton being "dull" and OP being the "one where Bond dresses as a clown, need i say more".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2013 Posts: 15,691
    just by looking at the list from #24 to #15, I see that it's not a very good list. GE, QOS and TLD should not be so low... I'd put them in my top 10 for sure!
  • SaintMark wrote:

Anyone is entitled to an opinion but I think the issue most people have with Travers list is the comments he has given, they just seem like soundbites and cliched comments that have been recycled over the years such as Dalton being "dull" and OP being the "one where Bond dresses as a clown, need i say more".

I know. That simply reinforces my point.

SaintMark wrote:

I know. That simply reinforces my point.

I've read many complains over RM in his clown outfit over the years on the various forums, so I did not consider that a weird one.

As for Dalton being dull that is a matter of taste it does not make you a better or worse Bondfan.

Travers soundbites are by no means the worst I have ever read when talking about the Bondmovies.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    chrisisall wrote:
    the Wizard's first rule of cinema: 'If a film stars Vin Disel, don't watch it.'

Nonsense; the Riddick movies are great.

The Fast and Furious films are big guilty pleasures of mine. I really enjoy them.

I did think XxX was pretty crap though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Fast and Furious films are big guilty pleasures of mine. I really enjoy them.

jason Statham will be in the next Fast and Furious.. must watch for me!

• Same for me. Big fan of Jason Statham. He's made some good action films and he seems like a decent bloke who knows exactly what his films are.

You ain't ever gonna get an Academy Award for doing Crank and you certainly won't for doing all the other movies I've done. - Jason Statham.

I didn't really like Fast and Furious until the 5th one came out. The first one was Point Break with cars, the second one was awful, Tokyo Drift was enjoyable and the fourth one was awful.

The fifth and sixth films though, I really liked. They're fun action films. No more forced melodrama and no more focus on street racing. Just fast cars and enjoyable action. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes imo.
    Statham played in Snatch and Lock, Stock..., 2 of my favorite movies of all time! and his action movies are awesome too. Crank, Blitz, Expendables, Bank Job.. I really enjoy all these films!
  • Jason Statham is the only proper old school action hero of the new millennium imo and I for one bloody love him for it.
    Speaking of The Stath. I love this vid. Kermode saves his best impression till last

edited October 2013 Posts: 15,691
    Jason Statham is the only proper old school action hero of the new millennium imo and I for one bloody love him for it.

can I add Liam Neeson too? he wasn't an action hero until Taken 1. he's proper old-school badass too. can't wait for 'Non-Stop' next february! :)

• edited October 2013 Posts: 1,497
    I have seen TLD and LTK pretty low on a few lists now. I can see the arguments too - that Timothy Dalton does not have quite the charisma of a leading man as Connery or Moore. I can also see the case of the villains being weak, Kara being a bit useless and not the most charming Bond girl, and the story being a bit convoluted with the Mujahadeen. Arguments against LTK can certainly be levelled as well: lower production values, too much violence for a Bond film, a reliance on the action trends of the time...I don't necessarily agree with these assessments - I think both Dalton films are great, particularly TLD, but I think the criticisms are fair. Sean Connery even said Timothy Dalton underestimated the role. There are also those that love or hate GF: some say Bond is bored, there are too many silly moments, etc, but on the flip side GF has a brisk pace in plot, has the most iconice moments of the series, the famouse Aston Martin, Connery looking as suave as ever, Barry's signature tune. Everyone comes to the Bond films with slightly different tastes and expectations. One mans trash is another man's treasure. DAD is a tough sell, but if escapist, popcorn munching fun is what you're looking for, then I can see the case. It's Brosnan's best performance at the very least.
    chrisisall wrote:
    the Wizard's first rule of cinema: 'If a film stars Vin Disel, don't watch it.'

Nonsense; the Riddick movies are great.

I did think XxX was pretty crap though.

I won't let you take lonely beatings, the FAF movies are huge guilty pleasures of mine, too. I watch 'Fast Five' all the time and can't wait for the sixth to hit blu-ray. After that, it'll be a fun wait until Statham and Jaa go at it in the seventh.
  • Anyone that claims Connery looked bored in DAF hasn't actually watched the movie and doesn't deserve anyone's attention.

I actually think he looks bored and tired in DAF
  • I disagree for the most part of this list.

LTK 23
    LD 22

They may not be top 5 but still way too low.

Goldeneye 19 (way too low) should be top 8

TMWTGG 14
    NSNA 13
    Both way too high, they are close to the bottom in my opinion

DAD 10 One of the worst bond's rated way too high (really haead of goldeneye)

@Stealth, I think almost all of us disagree with this list's ranking.
    That call that rag sheet "Rolling Stone" for a reason....
  • What can I say, I have a soft spot for The Pacifier. It's a guilty pleasure.
    What can I say, I have a soft spot for The Pacifier. It's a guilty pleasure.

It's no Kindergarten Kop.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Indeed it isn't. Coincidentally Kindergarden Cop was the first film I watched in a theatre, I have fond memories of that film.
    Sandy wrote:

Indeed it isn't. Coincidentally Kindergarden Cop was the first film I watched in a theatre, I have fond memories of that film.

;-)
    Sandy wrote:

;-)

And the award for the best thing ever in the universe goes to...

another brilliant immortal line :D

about brilliant quotes from movies.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 6,396
    SaintMark wrote:

another brilliant immortal line :D

Try these out :-)