Rolling Stone ranks the Bond movies

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND, TWINE, and GE at 21-19, respectively, yet DAD gets #10?

Opinion or not, it's hard for me to listen to something a person says with a ranking like that.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    I didn't get beyond Quantum of Solace. Clearly they know nothing about movies, Bond or otherwise. It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch but not below Brosnan's and Moore's.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Anyone that claims Connery looked bored in DAF hasn't actually watched the movie and doesn't deserve anyone's attention.
    retrokitty wrote:
    I didn't get beyond Quantum of Solace. Clearly they know nothing about movies, Bond or otherwise. It wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch but not below Brosnan's and Moore's.

I can agree with the last three ones, especially QoB as it is more of a Bourne copy than a 007 movie, with the worst director of the franchise who preferred themes over an actionmovie, and then went out and borrowed too much of the competing spy-franchise which in my book has NO excuse whatsoever.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm sorry, but any list that ranks DAD 10 and TLD and LTK 22 and 23 respectively, is a bad, BAD list.
    It would help when one is writing for a magazine like Rolling Stone to actually get some facts correct. To blame the "failure" of LTK for the 6 year gap shows very little knowledge but to refer to Johnny Jordan, the man who filmed the aerial ski scenes in OHMSS as "John Jones" is downright bloody ignorant.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited October 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Oh dear, oh dear @-) was this list written by a mad person or did the writer just pick up the titles randomly from a bag of papers, and where is a facepalm emoticon when one needs it?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Both Dalton films in the bottom 3, AVTAK at 17th, NSNA at 13th, SF at 3rd and GF in 1st place? Mr Travers has posted his opinion, so here's mine, this list is typical.
    Farily typical list, criticises many films for being full of gadgets and gimmicky, yet celebrates GF for these exact things? Clearly slagging off Dalton from word of mouth from 1995.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shouldn't Die Another Day be ihgher that that? Oscar winners Halle Berry and Lee Tamahori involved

Overall good list
    This is definitely not a list I can stand by. Why is the World is not Enough so low? I saw that that one at after an ice cream social.

So which is it? Why don't you just go back to tending your flock and stop wasting our time?

I don't know why we bother to put ourselves through these list as they are always bolllocks.

This one follows the current trend of cretinous journalists pretending they are Bond literate by putting OHMSS right up there. Although surprisingly this guy has opted for the cliche of having GF as Best Bond Film Ever™ rather than the 'I'm not like you plebs reading this - I really know my Fleming' choice of FRWL which is pretty much de rigueur these days.

At the end of the day save yourself the bother of reading through this drivel. The bullet points are this guy rates DAD at number 10 and both Daltons in the bottom 3.

People are saying 'he's entitled to his opinion' which seems to be a catch all get out of jail card for anything these days (as long as you aren't excercising your democratic right by voting for the BNP of course). Is this how schools teach people these days? When I was a kid you were just 'wrong' or 'stupid' but not it damages people's self esteem to be told this so they are told 'you're entitled to your opinion' or 'he's a free thinker - maybe he's coming at it from a different angle and 2+2 does equal 5? We shouldn't stifle his creativity.

Sorry but I'm old school and this guy is:
    a) Wrong
    b) Guilty of sloppy research (LTK's box office the reason for GE being delayed, 'John Jones', Connery first seen through a gunbarrel)
    c) A tosser who doesn't know what he's talking about (rates FRWL high because 'it's far closer to the character Ian Fleming created in his novels than the gadget-fixated mannequin of the later films with Pierce Brosnan'. Well guess what moron - so was Dalton but you have him bottom.)
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,279
    I'm sorry, but any list that ranks DAD 10 and TLD and LTK 22 and 23 respectively, is a bad, BAD list.

I agree. Some decent Bond flicks in the top 5, but having DAD at 10, and TLD and LTK is a shockingly poor call.

This guy is a dowright pathetic tosser.

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Creasy47 wrote:
    TND, TWINE, and GE at 21-19, respectively, yet DAD gets #10?

Opinion or not, it's hard for me to listen to something a person says with a ranking like that.
    It certainly is a head scratcher, to say the least.
    It's Rolling Stone. This is the same magazine that had like three Bob Dylan albums in their top ten of ALL TIME. The hell did you expect their tastes to be like?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I don't know if they'll be another list as misjudged as this, ever. This is quite something and probably the worst ranking by someone to date.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,805
    Shouldn't Die Another Day be ihgher that that? Oscar winners Halle Berry and Lee Tamahori involved

Overall good list
    This is definitely not a list I can stand by. Why is the World is not Enough so low? I saw that that one at after an ice cream social.

So which is it? Why don't you just go back to tending your flock and stop wasting our time?

I don't know why we bother to put ourselves through these list as they are always bolllocks.

This one follows the current trend of cretinous journalists pretending they are Bond literate by putting OHMSS right up there. Although surprisingly this guy has opted for the cliche of having GF as Best Bond Film Ever™ rather than the 'I'm not like you plebs reading this - I really know my Fleming' choice of FRWL which is pretty much de rigueur these days.

At the end of the day save yourself the bother of reading through this drivel. The bullet points are this guy rates DAD at number 10 and both Daltons in the bottom 3.

People are saying 'he's entitled to his opinion' which seems to be a catch all get out of jail card for anything these days (as long as you aren't excercising your democratic right by voting for the BNP of course). Is this how schools teach people these days? When I was a kid you were just 'wrong' or 'stupid' but not it damages people's self esteem to be told this so they are told 'you're entitled to your opinion' or 'he's a free thinker - maybe he's coming at it from a different angle and 2+2 does equal 5? We shouldn't stifle his creativity.

Sorry but I'm old school and this guy is:
    a) Wrong
    b) Guilty of sloppy research (LTK's box office the reason for GE being delayed, 'John Jones', Connery first seen through a gunbarrel)
    c) A tosser who doesn't know what he's talking about (rates FRWL high because 'it's far closer to the character Ian Fleming created in his novels than the gadget-fixated mannequin of the later films with Pierce Brosnan'. Well guess what moron - so was Dalton but you have him bottom.)

A truly masterful reply from the ice cool master himself, @TheWizardOfIce. It's still free to read his content, too! It seems some of these critics are just "batshit mental".
    I mean, I'm completely used to people trashing Brosnan's films and using ranking the entirety of his tenure from ranks 15 - 23, but I feel most of you, Brosnan haters or not, would agree that DAD deserves no spot at #10 and in no way could really be seen as that much better than Brosnan's first three installments.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I mean, I'm completely used to people trashing Brosnan's films and using ranking the entirety of his tenure from ranks 15 - 23, but I feel most of you, Brosnan haters or not, would agree that DAD deserves no spot at #10 and in no way could really be seen as that much better than Brosnan's first three installments.

No matter how bad I find Brosnan I'll never agree with someone ranking GoldenEye out of the top ten. And that's me making a HUGE compromise, I don't think it should be out of anyone's top FIVE.
    @StirredNotShaken, and see, even with that, a non-Brosnan fan who sees that GE stands above DAD. That list is just a massive joke to me. I still enjoy DAD for what it's worth, but come on, ranking it in 10th place, especially over some other films that deserve a much higher ranking? Unbelievable.
    DAD should always be bottom. It's literally the worst film of all time. And where they have GoldenEye ranked... what was it, 17? Pathetic.
    @StirredNotShaken, not even 17th, but 19th. Almost the lowest of the low. I found it funny that I was going straight down the line of Brosnan films, questioning where DAD disappeared to, and boom, 10th place. Really surprised me.
  • 23: Licence To Kill

I stopped reading there.
    retrokitty wrote:

Speak for yourself. I'd put the majority of the Moore and Brosnan films above QOS. I enjoy it more than I used to but better than the likes of TSWLM and GE? Nah.
    When I first looked through, I was confused as Quantum Of Solace was either ranked first or last, I didn't understand how I'd got to that film already. Then it's placing at 24th took me by surprise even more, the reason for Never Say Never Again being there, well it just shows you why this person has no knowledge of Bond.

I didn't read the descriptions just looked at the pictures to see where everything was.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    When I first looked through, I was confused as Quantum Of Solace was either ranked first or last, I didn't understand how I'd got to that film already. Then it's placing at 24th took me by surprise even more, the reason for Never Say Never Again being there, well it just shows you why this person has no knowledge of Bond.

I didn't read the descriptions just looked at the pictures to see where everything was.

As well as his rankings by number, you can tell he knows nothing about Bond from his descriptions - he seemed to be unaware that NSNA was an unofficial Bond film for example. A schoolboy error to say the least.
    Never Say Never Again was the only one I read. I don't want to learn about the others!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Never Say Never Again was the only one I read. I don't want to learn about the others!

I can assure you that you won't be missing anything, Samuel.
    Samuel001 wrote:

THIS. THIS IS THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

Why was NSNA even on the list, let alone at like, #13?
    Samuel001 wrote:

THIS. THIS IS THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

Why was NSNA even on the list, let alone at like, #13?

Because he clearly knows nothing about James Bond - how about that for an answer?!
    @Dragonpol, I'm fairly certain that's the only answer!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, I'm fairly certain that's the only answer!

I thought so, too. Sometimes it is that simple!
  • Creasy47 wrote:

No matter how bad I find Brosnan I'll never agree with someone ranking GoldenEye out of the top ten. And that's me making a HUGE compromise, I don't think it should be out of anyone's top FIVE.

Agreed. GE is as terrific as DAD is awful.