The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They are both dreadful, so the girl.
    22 out of 43 countries have chosen their entries now. After a good start of the national final season, with pretty good songs from Finland, Spain, Italy, United Kingdom and Hungary...the national final songs started to become a bit dire. The 2nd batch of chosen entries from last two weeks are pretty disappointing I might add. Cyprus and Austria are perhaps the best songs of that lot:

gkVpgU7.png

So basically, 7 out of the 22 chosen songs are OK-ish to potential winners. The other 15 don't do much to me. Including these entries from Denmark and Netherlands. Tell me which of these two "mehhh"-songs you like more:

Boooring!
    Boooring!

elaborate :-P
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    17-year old Isaiah Firebrace who won 'The X-Factor' last year will be representing Australia.

I actually really like this song.
    Dreadful.
    Wow. Ireland is BACK with a BANG! 'Dying To Try' is perhaps the best Irish entry since the 1990's. The slow pace, combined with the boy-ish vocals of Brendan and a very contemporary production, will throw Ireland back in the TOP 10 since 2011. It builds wonderfully and slowly towards a rousing climax. In fact, this is very Irish, but completely updated to today's pop music standards. In my honest opinion this is a contender for TOP 3. IF a ballad will win a medal, than this one will do that. This screams for Hans Pannecoucke, but the Spanish already have him!

He sounds like a girl.

Both Sweden and Norway pick their entries today. I have low hopes.
    Not what I would call music
  • GBFGBF
    @Gustav_Graves

sorry but this song hurts ... but not in a good way...
    GBF wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

sorry but this song hurts ... but not in a good way...

There are pretty good songs this year @GBF. Some examples:

SWEDEN! Freshly chosen entry for this year's contest:

The revamped entry from THE UNITED KINGDOM. Mark my words, TOP 10:

BELGIUM is exquisite I think:

And the huge favourite of this year's contest, ITALY!

The cinematic entry from PORTUGAL:

SPAIN! An underdog perhaps, but very summery:

Again, FINLAND:

ESTONIA. A throwback to the 1980's and A-Ha:

• GBFGBF
    @Gustav_Graves

Well I like some of these, especially the first 4 are quite good. I think Sweden is going to win again, even though I think the song is just average but the performance is very memorable again (however, it feels a bit like a H&M commercial).

My personal faourite is Italy which is very joyfull and energetic. 2nd would be Belgium which has a very modern sound. Third would be the British entry which is really nice. Especially her voice is great. Finnland is OK but a bit boring. The same applies to Portugal. There is just too little variation in these two songs. Least favourite is Estonia. The song doesn't really go anywhere, the lyrics are bad and I don't feel the emotions the song aims to express.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I really don't care for the Swedish entry this year, normally they're my favourite. But I can't watch that clip without thinking, mate do you want to be a model or singing, make up your damn mind son.

I know Italy are odds on favourite to win at this point, but I don't love the song, but appreciate that's its joyful, fun and a breath of fresh air in comparison to the other entries. I really am getting sick of the endless balads. Though, I actually like what they've done to the UKs entry, simple and honest, I wish it well.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,119
    GBF wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves

Well I like some of these, especially the first 4 are quite good. I think Sweden is going to win again, even though I think the song is just average but the performance is very memorable again (however, it feels a bit like a H&M commercial).

My personal faourite is Italy which is very joyfull and energetic. 2nd would be Belgium which has a very modern sound. Third would be the British entry which is really nice. Especially her voice is great. Finnland is OK but a bit boring. The same applies to Portugal. There is just too little variation in these two songs. Least favourite is Estonia. The song doesn't really go anywhere, the lyrics are bad and I don't feel the emotions the song aims to express.

I also like ICELAND a lot. It has this flawless pop-vs.-indie sound which made Robyn (Stockholm, Sweden) pretty famous across the globe. But there's also a bit of Cyndi Lauper in this song. This could do pretty well @GBF @CraigMooreOHMSS :

Norway picked this
  • GBFGBF
    Okay I spend some two hours to listen to all 39 songs. This would be my current ranking. All in all I find most songs rather disappointing. The countries that have been good the last years (Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Australia) are good again. The rest is rather boring, noisy or cheap.

01. Italy
    02. Australia (great voice, nice ballad)
    03. Belgium
    04. United Kingdom
    05. Hungary (good as always)
    06. Finland (better on second listening)
    07. Macedonia
    08. Sweden
    09. Czech Republic
    10. Montenegro
    11. Portugal (see Finland)
    12. Belorussia
    13. France
    14. Netherlands
    15. Austria
    16. Slovenia
    17. Spain
    18. Croatia
    19. Germany
    20. Switzerland
    21. Iceland
    22. Poland
    23. Moldova
    24. Israel
    25. Cyprus
    26. Georgia
    27. Norway
    28. Malta
    29. Ukraine
    30. Azerbaijan
    31. Albania
    32. Denmark
    33. Ireland
    34. Serbia
    35. Latvia
    36. Lithuania
    37. Estonia
    38. Greece
    39. Romania

Impressive list @GBF ;-). You were from Australia no?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    I like Belgium.
  • GBFGBF
    Impressive list @GBF ;-). You were from Australia no?

No Germany :-)

Is GBF German Bond Fan? I thought it was Giant, Big Friendly.
  • GBFGBF
    Ok after listening to all 43 songs, this would be my list:

01. Italy
    02. Belgium
    03. Macedonia
    04. Hungary
    05. United Kingdom
    06. Australia
    07. France
    08. Czech Republic
    09. Azerbaijan (I needed a second listening, now I like it)
    10. Finland
    11. Iceland
    12. Belorussia
    13. Portugal
    14. Bulgaria
    15. Sweden
    16. Montenegro
    17. Netherlands
    18. Austria
    19. Serbia
    20. Malta
    21. Moldova
    22. Poland
    23. Norway
    24. Slovenia
    25. Ukraine
    26. Albania
    27. Spain
    28. Croatia
    29. Lithuania
    30. Denmark
    31. Israel
    32. Cyprus
    33. Ireland
    34. Switzerland
    35. Germany
    36. Georgia
    37. Armenia
    38. Latvia
    39. San Marino
    40. Russia
    41. Greece
    42. Estonia
    43. Romania
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Ladbrokes currently offering Evens on Italy finishing in the top four. So basically double your money. Worth a punt?
  • GBFGBF
    Is GBF German Bond Fan? I thought it was Giant, Big Friendly.

well I leave it up to your imagination :-)

• GBFGBF
    Both is objectively correct
    Here is a live performance of the Dutch entry @GBF:

They should find another country to host it. It can be done.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Okay, some people only start responding in this topic when a lot of political gossip takes place that has nothing to do with the actual music....and/or songs. Moreover, I do have an opinion about all this, but for now I prefer not to facilitate and encourage more politics in Eurovision by posting about this :-).

So for all fans, and especially for the American posters, here's a wonderful radio-podcast from BBC Scotland commentator Ewan Spence. It's Always a huge pleasure to listen to him. This podcast was recorded in the USA, with some wonderful 'green' American guests in it ;-):

http://escinsight.com/2017/03/21/eurovision-insight-podcast-juke-box-jury-2017-2/