The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• GBFGBF
    @Gerard

absolutely not my cup of tea but I guess it will do well in some European countries.
  • GBFGBF
    Yesterway was also the German preselsction. Unfortunately, this guy didn't win:

Maybe someone has heard of this song :-)
  • GBF wrote: »
    Yesterway was also the German preselsction. Unfortunately, this guy didn't win:

Maybe someone has heard of this song :-)

It's still a great song after 11 years. But what strikes me is the singer. His voice is wonderful. Reminds me of the deep bass sound from Jonathan Jeremiah. And to be honest? If this performance was copypasted to Eurovision, WITH this Bond song, it would have been TOP 10.

Funny though, there are quite a few Bond links with Eurovision. Just have a look ;-):

Eurovision 1964: UNITED KINGDOM, sang by Matt Monro - 2nd place:

Eurovision 1969: UNITED KINGDOM, sang by Lulu - 1st place:

Eurovision 1989: Interval act, performed by Guy Tell (and the music we know :-P):

Eurovision 1996: Opening interval act, sang by A-Ha (Morten Harket):

And to finish, a few Bond inspired songs from Eurovision :-P:
    The Netherlands 1993:

The Netherlands 1997:

Belarus 2007 (terrible voice by the way):

The Netherlands 2013:

Austria 2014 (two years after "Skyfall" hit the charts ;-):
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I never knew Matt Monro performed in Eurovision.
  • I never knew Matt Monro performed in Eurovision.

Shame on you :-P

• edited February 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Now THIS is more like it! Forza Italia :-D!! Dear Italian European friends. I think you have a winner here! Europe needs some zennnn and positive auras! And Francesco Gabbani is THE MAN for this job wink emoticon;-). Rome 2018? Let it be please, let it happen

Live performance:
    http://www.raiplay.it/video/2017/02/Francesco-Gabbani---aposOccidentaliaposs-Karmaapos---Finale-Sanremo--e9b4e093-6438-4e7f-91ac-9364011778da.html
    videoclip:

Also, Spain finally knows what's a good sunny song to send to Eurovision. Trust Manel in this. A charming young singer with a huge dose of reggaeton in his vocal chords :-). I will play this a lot on our Barcelona city beaches!:

Live performance:
    They were not the only ones, Gustav. Isabelle Aubret (who sang the french version of "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown) represented France with two songs, one of which having won.

Un Premier Amour (1962 winner) :

La Source (France 1968)

Funny thing, this song was inspired by the movie The Virgin Spring

And I'm sure we can find even more links.
  • Do you like the new entries for this year's contest from Spain and Italy @Gerard :-D!?
  • Also terrific. A potential Latvian entry for this year's Eurovision. From the Latvian National Final 'Supernova':

13 entries chosen so far:
    x2UMAKO.png

Only four of them truly interest me. My ranking thus far:

01. SPAIN: Manel Navarro with "Do It For Your Lover":
    A simple, yet very catchy and contemporary pop tune. Reminiscent of the winner of Eurovision 2010, Germany (Lena with "Satellite"). The simplicity of the song is its strength. It's already the best summer tune. It also reminded a bit of other 'happy yet simple' tunes like Belgium 2010 (Tom Dice with "Me And My Guitar", 6th place), Malta 2013 (Gianluca with "Tomorrow", 8th place) and Sweden 2016 (Frans with "If I Were Sorry"). Spain has won only two times. In 1968 and 1969. And also with very happy a-typical pop entries that. Watch out for Spain this year. It could very well be another TOP 5...and I tip it as a potential winner. (watch from 1min30sec onwards):

02. ITALY: Francesco Gabbani with "Occidentali's Karma":
    A song about the necessary positive karma that Europe needs! How fitting, and I totally agree with Francesco here. Yet not as contemporary as Spain, I do think this typical Italian pop tune is lifted to great heights by a wonderful charismatic singer, like Manel Navarro, and a fitting stage performance. The little dance, the gestures, and the "Alé!!"s throughout thee song will make this entry unforgettable. This is another hot contender for the victory. Italy has only won two times, in 1964 ("Non Ho l'Eta") and 1990 (with another great anthem in support of European unity):

03. FINLAND: Norma Jean with "BlackBird":
    Ireland and Norway used to dominate this musical genre; that of 'celtic mist, folk entries and Enya. So Ireland? Look at Finland this year. From thee slow-tempo songs so far, this is by far the best entry. Just look at the video down below and you'll understand why I think the audiovisual total package is already near-perfect. One only has to copy paste this to the Kiev stage in May, and a TOP 10 placing is almost guaranteed. Despite my positive criticism, I think it lacks a bit of "Oooomph!" to win it all the way. Finland won only once, in 2006, with the 'Klingons' from Finnish Lapland:

04. UNITED KINGDOM: Lucie Jones with "Never Give Up On You":
    Yes I know, the forummembers from 'Brexitland' despise every British entry so far. Perhaps even the 5 previous winning entries (1967, 1969 -together with Netherlands, Spain and France-, 1976, 1981 and 1997) are seen as rubbish by them. Well, I don't care. I stay objective and I actually think the UK has a fair chance to end on the left hand side of the scoreboard. "Never Give Up On You" is written by Emmelie DeForest, who won for Denmark in 2013. The song is a contemporary, cinematic ballad which doesn't use too much instruments (cello and piano only). But the song is especially lifted by a very gifted singer, with superb vocals and charismatic looks:

05. HUNGARY: Joci Pápai with "Origo":
    This is specialty stuff, and perhaps only suited for those people who can throw away the Eurovision brand for a bit and think in terms of world music. This is such an example. Sang/Rapped by a striking singer that makes you remind of Arabian chants, this will at least not go unnoticed. The track is perfectly produced, has rich electro-sounds/rhytmn and incorporates wonderful chill-out verses with nice staging. I bet televoters aren't that fond of this type of music, but I wouldn't be surprised if jury's pick this up for it's uniqueness. Hungary has never won the contest. Their highest placings are 4th (1994) and 5th (2014):

The other 8 entries? Nah, I think it's destined to struggle in the semi finals. Perhaps only Belarus and France are nice enough. Yet I think the French singer lacks charisma. So, 13 countries down, 30 countries to go! Upcoming week a further 5 countries will be known: Slovenia (Friday), Denmark, Ukraine, Moldova (Saturday) and Latvia (Sunday) @GBF @Gerard @BondJasonBond006 @Thunderfinger @CraigMooreOHMSS
    I listened to the above. Some of it is non-offensive, but nothing to write home about. Still waiting for that one good song, maybe two, that appears each year.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes I know, the forummembers from 'Brexitland' despise every British entry so far. Perhaps even the 5 previous winning entries (1967, 1969 -together with Netherlands, Spain and France-, 1976, 1981 and 1997) are seen as rubbish by them. Well, I don't care. I stay objective and I actually think the UK has a fair chance to end on the left hand side of the scoreboard. "Never Give Up On You" is written by Emmelie DeForest, who won for Denmark in 2013. The song is a contemporary, cinematic ballad which doesn't use too much instruments (cello and piano only). But the song is especially lifted by a very gifted singer, with superb vocals and charismatic looks:

Look on the bright side, when we're out, the rest of the EU won't have to put up with us saying how overly camp and a farce the contest is (not to mention those eastern countries voting for each other).
    Eurovision isn t an EU project.
  • 04. UNITED KINGDOM: Lucie Jones with "Never Give Up On You":

Look on the bright side, when we're out, the rest of the EU won't have to put up with us saying how overly camp and a farce the contest is (not to mention those eastern countries voting for each other).

I don't understand your comment, since I've shared my positive feelings and chances of this year's UK entry. And regarding 'Brexitland' ;-)? Come on...I'm just teasing. I love calling the UK 'Brexitland' at times.

One question I have for you @Major. Can you explain why in this particular list of Eurovision winners only two times an Eastern-European country is listed? If you can find the answer to that question (hint: demographics, song quality), then there's a tiny...really tiny chance your comment about Eastern-Europeans is valid. Because in the end......To win you need to do more than only be dependent on 'Eastern Europeans'.

2006: Finland
    2009: Norway
    2010: Germany
    2011: Azerbaijan
    2012: Sweden
    2013: Denmark
    2014: Austria (an entire Western-European TOP 3, Netherlands 2nd, Sweden 3rd!)
    2015: Sweden
    2016: Ukraine

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Eurovision isn t an EU project.

No one is saying it is, but it is made of mostly EU countries. If the UK is still involved in the event of Brexit being carried out, it can't really do any damage to our track record over recent years.

I don't understand your comment, since I've shared my positive feelings and chances of this year's UK entry. And regarding 'Brexitland' ;-)? Come on...I'm just teasing. I love calling the UK 'Brexitland' at times.

One question I have for you @Major. Can you explain why in this particular list of Eurovision winners only two times an Eastern-European country is listed? If you can find the answer to that question (hint: demographics, song quality), then there's a tiny...really tiny chance your comment about Eastern-Europeans is valid. Because in the end......To win you need to do more than only be dependent on 'Eastern Europeans'.

2006: Finland
    2009: Norway
    2010: Germany
    2011: Azerbaijan
    2012: Sweden
    2013: Denmark
    2014: Austria (an entire Western-European TOP 3, Netherlands 2nd, Sweden 3rd!)
    2015: Sweden
    2016: Ukraine

Ok, fair point, they aren't the only countries involved.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Political voting always happens though. Certain countries give each other 12 points every year.

The UK may have produced Lennon & McCartney, Ray Davies, Pete Townsend, Lloyd Webber & Rice, David Bowie, Elton John etc, but it now seems incapable of writing a tune to beat the Ukraine.

Funny that.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    Political voting always happens though. Certain countries give each other 12 points every year.

The UK may have produced Lennon & McCartney, Ray Davies, Pete Townsend, Lloyd Webber & Rice, David Bowie, Elton John etc, but it now seems incapable of writing a tune to beat the Ukraine.

Funny that.

If Austria, Germany, Norway, bloody Finland, Sweden and Denmark can win -no less 'classic' Eurovision nations who have been part of the Eurovision family since the 1950's and 1960's- United Kingdom can do exactly the same. As long as you sent a song with performance to Eurovision that can charm the hell out of Europe. It's bloody simple as that.

And 'political voting'? What the f$$k does that mean actually :-). Does it mean that the choice of each Eurovision entry is influenced by mebers of Parliament? Does it mean that in the end the Congress and Senate are the final voters during the scoring in the Final? But off course not!

It's 'demographically and culturally influenced voting', not 'political voting'. I'm getting quite tired of these wordings. They show a lack of knowledge. Netherlands and Belgium usually give each other a healthy set of points. Malta and the UK, but also Ireland and the UK hand over points to each other. Armenia always receives quite a lot of points from Armenian immigrant communities in Netherlands and France. Why is that? Because we feel culturally alligned to a certain entry from a participating nation! Not because some kind of government is falsifying points. So please use wordings a bit more carefully.

Also, 'demographically and culturally influenced voting has been part of Eurovision ever since it was founded. But if only 12 countries participate (final of 1970 in Amsterdam), then it's simply less apparent than when 43 countries are voting for the winner in a final of 27. Only the amount of participants changed. But ever since Greece and Cyprus were in the contest in the late 1970's / early 1980's, they have been handing over points like if they were one country. It's in essence also the charm of Eurovision.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I'll call it political voting anyway just to avoid writing out your more long winded virsion.

Either way, it's charming to you and bloody annoying to me. I'm going back to the Bond threads ;)
  • Having said all this, this is my final TOP 14 (left hand side of the scoreboard) prediction of tomorrow's 60th Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest:

01. SWEDEN (gold)
    02. BELGIUM (silver)
    03. RUSSIA (bronze)
    04. LATVIA (3rd runner-up)
    05. AUSTRALIA (4th runner-up)
    06. Estonia
    07. Georgia
    08. Norway
    09. Israel
    10. Italy
    ======================
    11. Slovenia
    12. Azerbaijan
    13. Austria
    14. Romania

And the final result:
    01. 365 points: SWEDEN (gold) *exact correct prediction*
    02. 303 points: RUSSIA (silver) *predicted in my TOP 3*
    03. 292 points: ITALY (bronze) *predicted in my TOP 10*
    04. 217 points: BELGIUM (3rd runner-up) *predicted in my TOP 5*
    05. 196 points: AUSTRALIA (4th runner-up) *exact correct prediction*
    06. 186 points: Latvia *predicted in my TOP 10*
    07. 106 points: Estonia *exact correct prediction*
    08. 102 points: Norway *exact correct prediction*
    09. 097 points: Israel *exact correct prediction*
    10. 053 points: Serbia
    ======================
    11. 051 points: Georgia *predicted in my TOP 14*
    12. 049 points: Azerbaijan *exact correct prediction*
    13. 044 points: Montenegro
    14. 039 points: Slovenia *predicted in my TOP 14*

Looking back on the 2015 contest, I posted this in May of that year. That was a very good prediction of me. 9 of my TOP 10 countries ended in the evntual TOP 10. I predicted the rankings of Sweden, Australia, Norway and Israel 100% correct. Estonia and Latvia only one place different compared to my prediction. In the TOP 14 I predicted the exact ranking of Azerbaijan correct. Georgia was just outside the TOP 10, while I had them 7th ;-). Romania got 15th place, while I had them 14th. Slovenia got 14th place, while I had them 11th. Andddd, Germany last, I had that correct too.

Is Russia participating this year?
    No politics in ESC???

You think it was a mere coincidence that Ukraine won last year with a completely forgettable ballade (who here can sing the melody?) that had a political message of peace?
    That Spanish guy will need to learn how to sing in tune btw...
  • I think you're exaggerating. These are a much better examples of singing out of tune during Eurovision:

Now those were dreadful.
  • I think Estonia should send this wonderful 1980's throwback, reminiscent of A-Ha and Modern Talking, to Kiev ;-). What do we think?
    Rather not. Norway has its finals 11th March. There is usually one or two good entries there as well, but they don t win too often.
  • Rather not. Norway has its finals 11th March. There is usually one or two good entries there as well, but they don t win too often.

You don't like the above song @Thunderfinger ?
    You got that right.
  • I like it. It has this A-Ha vibe. Hence why I still love "The Living Daylights" as a song.
    TLD, just like WOTW, has a hell of an opening bar, the rest is so-so. TLD over TWOTW, though.
    TLD, just like WOTW, has a hell of an opening bar, the rest is so-so. TLD over TWOTW, though.

Anyway, it's nice @Thunderfinger that you keep posting in here ;-).

Either this song:

Or this song:

Is going to win the Swedish Melodifestivalen 2017. So which one do you prefer?