Bond movie ranking (Simple list, no details)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Severine is about the only good "substance" scene in Skyfall. The rest is a bloody mess, either boring as hell, idiotic (plot holes) or downright silly (Silva).

It's like you look at a beautifully wrapped Christmas gift. But when you open it a pair of old socks look at you.

Yeah, and no one seems to mind how Drax got that insane space station up and running. That's not a plot hole. It's a frikkin' 'plot black hole'.

There is a vital difference.
    MR is pure fantasy and full of self-irony while SF takes itself too seriously and wants to be edgy drama and plot holes like they happen in SF are unforgivable therefore.
    Severine is about the only good "substance" scene in Skyfall. The rest is a bloody mess, either boring as hell, idiotic (plot holes) or downright silly (Silva).

It's like you look at a beautifully wrapped Christmas gift. But when you open it a pair of old socks look at you.

Yeah, and no one seems to mind how Drax got that insane space station up and running. That's not a plot hole. It's a frikkin' 'plot black hole'.

There is a vital difference.
    MR is pure fantasy and full of self-irony while SF takes itself too seriously and wants to be edgy drama and plot holes like they happen in SF are unforgivable therefore.

There's no vital difference. They are all Bond films. And Bond films are not just pure fantasy or pure drama. Yes, sometimes they touch these genres. But saying that MR is pure fantasy is nonsense to me.

MR has to be judged as an action-thriller....like all Bond films. And when judged as such MR is entirely flawed. Don't forget how 'Cubby' tried, without any self-irony, to ground this Bond film a lot in science-fact. Even NASA was called in to make MR as realistic as possible.

You need to understand that you have a personal opinion here. And, to be frank, not everyone shares that with you. So what you say is not just fact.....it's a set of arguments in which you justify MR with your personal love of the film. There's nothing bad about it....but still, it's nothing but personal taste we discuss here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I actually like both SF & MR, even though they are completely different. I think they both succeed at what they are trying to do, and the objectives are quite different for both. One is indeed more grounded, and the other is completely fantastical, but I find both highly entertaining and stunning to look at.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    If all Bond films must be judged as 'action-thriller', in that case SF would get the same note as TND, since half the genre (action) is very little present in SF, while TND has no thriller element (very straight forward film) but it excels in the action department.

So no, Bond films should not all be judged as action-thrillers, or even be judged under the same movie genre, as films like DAD, FRWL and OP are nothing alike, apart from being Bond films.
    If all Bond films must be judged as 'action-thriller', in that case SF would get the same note as TND, since half the genre (action) is very little present in SF, while TND has no thriller element (very straight forward film) but it excels in the action department.

So no, Bond films should not all be judged as action-thrillers, or even be judged under the same movie genre, as films like DAD, FRWL and OP are nothing alike, apart from being Bond films.

In any case.....let's not say that Bond films are sci-fi films or fantasy films. Because that's even more ridiculous.

Perhaps SF is more spy/drama/thriller.....and MR and TND are more action/adventure. That's the only difference I can make.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Remove James Bond from the films. No one one ever think that FRWL and DAF are same genre, or MR and CR, or TSWLM and SF, or SP and TMWTGG, or LTK and TWINE, DAD and TLD, etc.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Perhaps SF is more spy/drama/thriller.....and MR and TND are more action/adventure. That's the only difference I can make.
    I agree with that. Bond films tend to move within certain parameters.

TND is definitely more action/adventure.

MR is thriller at the start imho, then moves into action/adventure, and then finally moves into science fiction.

SF is pure thriller - and imho closer to FRWL territory.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SF is a character drama. There is no plot in the film, so it can't be a thriller imo. Even LTK had the Stinger missiles which gave the audience a reason to care outside of Bonds vendetta. And in GE Alec has his scheme at the end, despite sounding like he is on a revenge mission for his parents. They were conscious to add SOME motivation outside of the personal in both films. Therefore Bond is not acting in self interest, he is actually stopping something bad from happening on a large scale.
    SF doesn't have this. Silva's sole motivation is revenge. That's like taking a whole dimension away from the villain. He just isn't as interesting after that. It's funny how everyone harps on Blofeld's motivation being daddy issues, but they are fine with Silva and his mommy issues.
    I don't see what's wrong with Silva (a two bit betrayed ex MI6 agent) having revenge issues. I do see a problem with arch nemesis and major villain Blofeld having the same. It diminishes the latter, but not the former, imho.

Moreover, MI6 is completely compromised in SF. That was the plot. If they didn't stop him, they'd have been totally hacked.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't see what's wrong with Silva (a two bit betrayed ex MI6 agent) having revenge issues. I do see a problem with arch nemesis and major villain Blofeld having the same. It diminishes the latter, but not the former, imho.

Moreover, MI6 is completely compromised in SF. That was the plot. If they didn't stop him, they'd have been totally hacked.

OK, but we don't hear about the list again after about the 45 minute mark. Its more of a plot device that a plot.

OK, but we don't hear about the list again after about the 45 minute mark. Its more of a plot device that a plot.

Yes, obviously it's a McGuffin. Similar to the ATAC system in FYEO. Moreover, once damage has been done, Wikileaks-style, then the physical harddisk doesn't matter anymore. Damage has been done then already. So I don't see your problem.

Story-wise SF is therefore a lot about....reducing the damage caused by 'Julian Assange' -Silva-. It would be rather stupid if Bond only chases for the physical disk. Or....do you forget how hackers work these days??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The ATAC is the key to FYEO, it's not a MacGuffin like the hard drive in SF is. That hard drive is merely used to move the plot along for the first hour or so of the movie, and as soon as it's retrieved and no longer serves a purpose, they abandon it entirely. The ATAC is present and fought over until the last few moments of FYEO.

If the disk didn't matter, why is Bond still chasing after it? And why do they want to decrypt it and find out who else may have gotten their hands on it? Like you said, in an age of hackers and grand technology, as soon as Silva got his hands on that, the physical portion would've been irrelevant, as surely he would've uploaded it all elsewhere. It's nothing but a MacGuffin; as soon as they catch Silva, we hear nothing more about it.

Yes, obviously it's a McGuffin. Similar to the ATAC system in FYEO. Moreover, once damage has been done, Wikileaks-style, then the physical harddisk doesn't matter anymore. Damage has been done then already. So I don't see your problem.

Story-wise SF is therefore a lot about....reducing the damage caused by 'Julian Assange' -Silva-. It would be rather stupid if Bond only chases for the physical disk. Or....do you forget how hackers work these days??

What are you talking about?? They never refer to the list or the risk of exposure ever again. The plot simply disappears and is replaced by laboured attempts at metaphor and symbolism. How is Bond and M locking themselves inside a house 'reducing the damage'?? Once Silva is killed, the files disappear and everything returns to normal??
    Silva was able to 'hack' M's computer and blow up MI6 before he infiltrated the location physically with the disc. So he definitely had some way into the old 'system' or 'network'.

Then he also gained access to the new secure bunker 'network' (sorry, I'm not a techy, so not sure if I got this right) when Q inserted the disc into his laptop.

So Silva was an ongoing threat who became too hard to ignore and they had to draw him away to trap him. A lot of his lackeys were dispatched in the Skyfall shootout so that perhaps implied his group was crippled. Notice that when M gives Bond his assignment at the end of SF, it's 'on paper'. I noticed that in 2012, and I think that was because they were going to a 'less tech' way of distributing assignment info in a post-Silva world.

What are you talking about?? They never refer to the list or the risk of exposure ever again. The plot simply disappears and is replaced by laboured attempts at metaphor and symbolism. How is Bond and M locking themselves inside a house 'reducing the damage'?? Once Silva is killed, the files disappear and everything returns to normal??

Just try to place yourself in the real world for once. How can you prevent the SonyLeaks? By destroying the PC's Sony was using? Or reducing the damage by containing the leak via other hackers ('Q'?) and perhaps try to capture the hackers who actually caused the SonyLeaks?

My point is pretty clear: I think it's only logical that the McGuffin, the harddisk, disappears. Once everything from that disk has been leaked, it's useless by focusing on getting that disk. It's much better to use the harddisk as a trace leading to the person who caused that shit. And that's exactly what Bond is doing.

The way he is doing that is perhaps flawed, but we were talking about the McGuffin here and I give you very clear arguments to why the harddisk disappears after 45 mins.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Just try to place yourself in the real world for once. How can you prevent the SonyLeaks? By destroying the PC's Sony was using? Or reducing the damage by containing the leak via other hackers ('Q'?) and perhaps try to capture the hackers who actually caused the SonyLeaks?

My point is pretty clear: I think it's only logical that the McGuffin, the harddisk, disappears. Once everything from that disk has been leaked, it's useless by focusing on getting that disk. It's much better to use the harddisk as a trace leading to the person who caused that shit. And that's exactly what Bond is doing.

The way he is doing that is perhaps flawed, but we were talking about the McGuffin here and I give you very clear arguments to why the harddisk disappears after 45 mins.

But that's literally the point of a MacGuffin: introduced to forward the plot, and tossed to the wayside after it has served its purpose. It's irrelevant to the rest of the story; just look at 'Mission: Impossible 3.'
    Whaa??

The specific hardrive presumably doesn't matter anymore since the files can just be copied, but the files themselves are still out there. How is Bond locking himself inside an old house stopping that threat?? MI6 is still at risk, but because Bond killed Silva suddenly the day is saved?? That does not make sense.
    There are two issues imho. The disc with its information on NOCs (they are blown forever) and the infiltration of the network.

They could always re-secure the network (which I assume they did) after Silva hacked it again with the disc. As long as the infiltrator is dispatched or apprehended, then future hacks shouldn't be an issue. They did find Silva's big operation location after all due to Severine, and probably dismantled all the gear.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

But that's literally the point of a MacGuffin: introduced to forward the plot, and tossed to the wayside after it has served its purpose. It's irrelevant to the rest of the story; just look at 'Mission: Impossible 3.'

Thanks @Creasy47 ;-)
    1. CR
    2. OHMSS
    3. FRWL
    4. GF
    5. FYEO
    6. TSWLM
    7. Dr No
    8. GE
    9. TB
    10. TLD
    11. LTK
    12. SF
    13. LALD
    14. SP
    15. MR
    16. TMWTGG
    17. OP
    18. TND
    19. TWINE
    20. QoS
    21. YOLT
    22. DAD
    23. DAF
    24. AVTAK
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s an excellent top five, but having GE in your top ten isn t allowed.
    That s an excellent top five, but having GE in your top ten isn t allowed.

Exactly it belongs into the top 3.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 12,267
    Funny how heavily divided the opinion on GE is here.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Absolutely.
    On one side @Thunderfinger
    on the other side the rest of the world.

Absolutely.

Eh I've seen plenty of rankings here with GE listed in the middle or closer to the bottom.
    Oh my, seems like the "simple list, no detail" paragraph was lost somewhere ;))
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Absolutely.

Eh I've seen plenty of rankings here with GE listed in the middle or closer to the bottom.

For me its average. Good performance from Brosnan. Good director and cinematography. Ok script. Dire score.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Used to be a top ten entry for me, now it's in the lower half. I've become disinterested in the Brosnan era of late
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are becoming a man.
    Who needs the Brosnan era when you have Spectre.