Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hopefully they still sell lots of toys while giving us an end product a little more rough around the edges than TFA. That would be ideal imho.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    God what a depressing thought. Star Wars is now about toy sales and safe mass marketing.

It was in the 90s, too, this is nothing new.
  • RC7RC7
    God what a depressing thought. Star Wars is now about toy sales and safe mass marketing.

And the 70's/80's.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RC7 wrote: »

And the 70's/80's.

Very much so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    George Lucas wisely chose away film profits for toy sales profits. That is where the real money has been all the time.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Star Wars: Rogue One Reshoot Details Revealed

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-details-mcquarrie/
    According to Making Star Wars (a definitive source for updates concerning the modern films), the Rogue One crew estimates that they are reshooting roughly 40 percent of the movie.

:-SS
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Christopher McQuarrie delivered the screenplay, necessitating the reshoots? I'm all for it now. That chap knows what he's doing. The final product should be a lot better.

I'm glad Disney has the time and the budget to get any concerns addressed prior to release.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    They just had to add young Han Solo.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Christopher McQuarrie delivered the screenplay, necessitating the reshoots? I'm all for it now. That chap knows what he's doing. The final product should be a lot better.

I'm glad Disney has the time and the budget to get any concerns addressed prior to release.

If only they did this on Spectre, they could have ironed out some of the flaws ...
    pachazo wrote: »
    God, now that they've cast him, a cameo actually isn't out of the question! Please no!!!
    pachazo wrote: »
    God, now that they've cast him, a cameo actually isn't out of the question! Please no!!!

Only if this young Han Solo movie is set just before A New Hope. Or Rogue One takes place over a number of years.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Adding in a much, much younger Han ten minutes before 'A New Hope' will take me right out of the movie.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Adding in a much, much younger Han ten minutes before 'A New Hope' will take me right out of the movie.

Well, it simply won't work, so at least one of the stories is false.
    @RC7, the only way it would realistically work is if his cameo is in a flashback.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7, the only way it would realistically work is if his cameo is in a flashback.

Yeah, which on the surface seems unnecessary.

Totally unnecessary, though personally, I'm of the opinion that we don't need a Han Solo movie in the first place. I'm beyond burnt out on everyone needing an origin story.

Totally unnecessary, though personally, I'm of the opinion that we don't need a Han Solo movie in the first place. I'm beyond burnt out on everyone needing an origin story.
    True. Some things are better left to the imagination. Han's origin is an answer to a question nobody asked, or in other words, a cash grab by Disney.
  • RC7RC7

We definitely don't need it. It's a terrible idea.
    Reshoots, rewrites, and way too many hands in the pie now. This thing is going to be a disaster tonally:

http://collider.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-tony-gilroy/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2016 Posts: 16,335
    Maybe not.

Star Wars: Rogue One Reshoot Details Revealed

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-details-mcquarrie/
    According to Making Star Wars (a definitive source for updates concerning the modern films), the Rogue One crew estimates that they are reshooting roughly 40 percent of the movie.

:-SS

WTF. Yeah, and I also heard that Disney found the original footage too dark, too rough and too 'intellectual'. Instead that wanted a more family friendly approach, more 'Disney'. Ughhh, this is what you get if you want to experiment a bit with "Star Wars" into something new, fresh and original.

"Rogue One", as an anthology film, could have been the perfect vehicle to attract more serious audiences. Obviously, that is not allowed. And it seems that "Rogue One" only becomes a vehicle to keep audiences in cinema, not to give us a bit more intelligent sci-fi outside the 'normal' "Star Wars" movies.

I'm a bit disappointed by this news.
    It's funny how quite a few people here were praising Disney not so long ago. How things can suddenly change on a dime, right?

Looks like that writer-director Christopher McQuarrie overseeing the reshoot was just BS as he'd denied any involvement in it, apart from his script-writing duties.

Can't say I'm that excited to see this unnecessary cash-grab movie.
    bondsum wrote: »
    It's funny how quite a few people here were praising Disney not so long ago. How things can suddenly change on a dime, right?

Looks like that writer-director Christopher McQuarrie overseeing the reshoot was just BS as he'd denied any involvement in it, apart from his script-writing duties.

Can't say I'm that excited to see this unnecessary cash-grab movie.

Ooowh, I tell you this: I have never been a big fan of Disney. I saw the last Star Wars movie, and although I liked it, I was extremely tired of the sheer capitalism of this movie surrounding it. Because in essence I found "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" as a movie less interesting than "SPECTRE". It was just too 'plastic-perfect'. It lacked originality, and instead did the same thing "Star Trek" did in 2009 with that reboot.

J.J.Abrams is a damn smart marketeer. The Donald Trump of Hollywood blockbusters nowadays. But I'm just not a big fan of his movies, his ideas, and lack of originality thereof.

That's why I was looking forward much more to "Rogue One". But as it seems now, Disney, would perhaps have liked J.J. Abrams to do "Rogue One" as well. Reshooting 40% (!!) of a movie that creatively should have been left in the hands of the director, is like pissing on the director, in all colors of urine.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    None of us have seen the footage, so we can only speculate. It's possible that a few things were in need of improvement. However, all this talk of having to "lighten the tone" certainly has me worried.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If you watched the video I posted it's speculated the Reshoots will help flesh things out more. That's a good thing in my book. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet.
    Reshoots, rewrites, and way too many hands in the pie now. This thing is going to be a disaster tonally:

@Creasy47's link suggested the reshoots were just fleshing things out.

@Creasy47's link suggested the reshoots were just fleshing things out.

Thank you for noticing. I'd say a good 80% of the links I post are overlooked, so I'm glad someone caught that link.
    I agree, @Gustav_Graves, that JJ Abrams is a smart marketeer. I don't dislike everything that he touches, I just don't like the Force Awakens very much. I saw it on the first day and it was a buzz to hear the opening bars to the theme music and all that, and I guess I didn't outright loath the movie, but then I didn't exactly like it either.

This Rogue One doesn't look all that promising to me. I'll give it a whirl when it comes out, but my hopes are so low after Awakens I doubt this prequel, or whatever it is, is going to change my opinion that much.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I agree, @Gustav_Graves, that JJ Abrams is a smart marketeer. I don't dislike everything that he touches, I just don't like the Force Awakens very much. I saw it on the first day and it was a buzz to hear the opening bars to the theme music and all that, and I guess I didn't outright loath the movie, but then I didn't exactly like it either.

This Rogue One doesn't look all that promising to me. I'll give it a whirl when it comes out, but my hopes are so low after Awakens I doubt this prequel, or whatever it is, is going to change my opinion that much.

Instead, I am looking way more forward to the 6th "Star Trek" TV Series, to be launched in January 2017. Anddd, the new "Star Trek" film, 'Star Trek XIII: Beyond', to be premiered next month :-D. But then again, I've always been way much more a Trekkie than a 'disneyfied' Star Wars-fan >:) .

Hence these topics:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/15933/star-trek-tv-series-1966-present-poll-your-top-6-of-favorite-trek-tv-series/p1

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/15960/star-trek-movies-1979-present-poll-your-top-6-of-favorite-trek-movies#latest
    I've read the SW links posted above. I don't think it's a problem. They're just building more exposition and character development. Nothing to worry about methinks.