Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

I think when people dislike something they can often just keep pushing there point, I loved TFA think all things considered JJ created a good foundation to move forward. Cant wait for ep VIII... And Rogue One.
    'Children's movie'

star_wars_the_force_awakens_spoilers_plot_synopsis_4_0.jpg :-\"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,696
    I saw the trailer for 'Rogue One' when I went to see 'The Nice Guys'. The audience roared at the trailer, I'm sure the film is going to be another huge hit for the franchise (not TFA level but over $1 billion probably).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I suspect Rogue One will be what TFA should have been, not a children movie.
    I'm looking forward to it. In the mean time there is Rebels which is bloody great.

I'll never understand, no matter how many times you list your complaints, how you find TFA to be a children's film (and see no comparisons in how Rey/Finn act with how, say, Luke acted in the first 'Star Wars' film), and yet an animated Y7-rated kid's show isn't for "children"?

You're reading things into my post that are not there.
    Rebels is animated and aimed at all ages.
    TFA is comedy and it's less scary than Goosebumps (according to my 6 year old daughter).
    I expected something like Ep II or III concerning darkness and violence, and a real villain :).

But I can see that I can't say anything about TFA or BvS without getting accused, so I'll shut up on those two as well.
    8-|
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @fire_and_ice, which is typically fine, it's just that in this case it makes no sense. I believe he once mentioned the acting by Rey and Finn makes it a "children's movie," but that isn't comparable at all, and to say that they're "whiny" throughout but Luke wasn't whiny in the slightest in 'A New Hope' isn't exactly fair. But, if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. I think 'Rogue One' will be right up his alley with how dark that's shaping up to be. I can't wait for it.
    They played it safe for sure with TFA, ep VIII is said to be alot darker. The first film in all the trilogies has a lighter tone, though all have death and dark themes running through them.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    @fire_and_ice, which is typically fine, it's just that in this case it makes no sense. I believe he once mentioned the acting by Rey and Finn makes it a "children's movie," but that isn't comparable at all, and to say that they're "whiny" throughout but Luke wasn't whiny in the slightest in 'A New Hope' isn't exactly fair. But, if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. I think 'Rogue One' will be right up his alley with how dark that's shaping up to be. I can't wait for it.
    Think that's just reflective of there age, lets face it no one is more whiny than Hayden as Anakin in ep II and III though the films have dark elements. Saying young adults are childish is stating the obvious, Storm Troopers torching people with flame throwers is not exactly children's hour :)

I thought it was quite dark tbh, remember being surprised the first time I watched TFA.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm looking forward to it. In the mean time there is Rebels which is bloody great.

I'll never understand, no matter how many times you list your complaints, how you find TFA to be a children's film (and see no comparisons in how Rey/Finn act with how, say, Luke acted in the first 'Star Wars' film), and yet an animated Y7-rated kid's show isn't for "children"?

You're reading things into my post that are not there.
    Rebels is animated and aimed at all ages.
    TFA is comedy and it's less scary than Goosebumps (according to my 6 year old daughter).
    I expected something like Ep II or III concerning darkness and violence, and a real villain :).

But I can see that I can't say anything about TFA or BvS without getting accused, so I'll shut up on those two as well.
    8-|

What exactly is he reading into your post that isn't there when you said -

He responded to your exact words.

And let us never forget that from day one, George Lucas created Star Wars for all ages. A New Hope had plenty of comedy and serious situations, just like The Force Awakens. Neither film is treated as a straight-up comedy, least of The Force Awakens, where a hero we were invested in is murdered before our eyes. Far more an emotional moment than when Obi-Wan died in A New Hope, and Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

The Force Awakens was never supposed to be "scary", so that comparison between it and Goosebumps is sorta outta nowhere.

But The Force Awakens was exactly what it was intending to be: A fun return to the Star Wars of old, before the Prequel Trilogy came along. Notice the term I use there: Fun. Which, by the way, is also what Rebels was created to be.

If you didn't have as much fun as others had, I'm sorry, you can bash the film all you like, but Creasy responded to words you said, not words you think you said.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, ROTJ was for children as were Clone Wars and Rebels.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,638
    TFA isn't a comedy or a horror film whatsoever, and as @Agent007391 put so succinctly, I'm not reading into anything, I'm merely replying to exactly what you said. I'd say this is the tenth time or so I've seen you go out of your way to bring up your disdain for TFA, due to it being a "children's movie" or "aimed at children," so I'm just trying to understand why that's always your go-to complaint about it, when something like 'Rebels' is literally an animated kid's show that you enjoy. Not that there's anything wrong with it - I've never seen it before - but there's definitely a divide in your opinion there that has me confused.
    Its uninspired though sounds like a title that could be genuine, it follows suit like many titles of directly referencing something from the films.

I hope that is just a working title. Uninspired indeed.

FALL OF STIMPY would be just as good.
    The resistance takes a nap. I-) Hopefully it is just a working title, wonder what the plot would be to Fall of the Resistance ;))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,854
    The resistance takes a nap. I-) Hopefully it is just a working title, wonder what the plot would be to Fall of the Resistance ;))

I'm going to take a guess, though I'm hoping I'm very wrong when the movie finally comes out:

The Resistance has moved from Yavin IV D'Qar to a new base on the lava planet of Mustafar Insert-Name-Here, and the First Order is sending probe droids to find Rey. She's busy on Dagobah The-Planet-That-Looks-Like-The-Lost-Island training with Luke. Meanwhile, the probe droids find Lava World, and the Resistance base. Kylo Ren sends troops down to the planet with walkers, they assault the base and Poe and Finn manage to escape, though Leia takes a dirt nap as she stays behind to trick the First Order.

Finn and Poe are chased in an asteroid field because the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon Phoenix Down (ship name still pending) isn't working well. They manage to give the First Order the slip, but they're chased by the bounty hunter Boba Fett Dengar 4-LOM Insert-Name-Here as they make their escape to Cloud City Floating Heaven, which is situated over Naboo Grass Planet.

Yeah. I hope this doesn't happen.
    Time for some originality in Episode VIII for sure, too many tropes have been already recycled.
    Just a part of the franchise's "history repeats" theme.
    Which is ok to a point, though we really don't want endless trilogies doing the same things again and again. I have read and heard a lot of positive things with regards to what Rian Johnson is doing, hopeful of a different direction for the series.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Trouble in paradise? If true, I wonder why they were so underwhelmed. Hopefully, it's not because they didn't feel it was "safe" enough like TFA. I wanted this movie to take chances.
    I just want Vader to be there. And maybe Pope Benedict.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    pachazo wrote: »
    Trouble in paradise? If true, I wonder why they were so underwhelmed. Hopefully, it's not because they didn't feel it was "safe" enough like TFA. I wanted this movie to take chances.

That worries me. I hope they're not trying to soften the tone or something. The Disney vibe I got from TFA really rubbed me the wrong way.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is disconcerting. The trailer looked good, so I wonder what's up. Hopefully they don't sanitize it too much. Give us something darker/grittier for these standalones I say, and then go back to softer fare for the continuation films every other year.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Maybe Rogue One does not appear to have the mass appeal Disney wants, what gets me is don't they watch dailys and get a general idea of the developing tone and content of a picture to identify potential issues. The trailer looked pretty awesome to me, I liked Godzilla though it was serious and quite flat in parts though visually great. Garath Edwards does not tend to energize his actors to great effect, that could be a problem with Rogue One.
    I worry that they may have felt that it's too "dark," and could attribute issues with that to what happened with BvS, so hopefully they aren't dialing it back, as the dark feel is what made me so excited about this movie in the first place.
    If there was any Star Wars film that they could take a risk with its Rogue One, because its not part of the main episodes arc surely they can allow some creative risks.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,257
    If there was any Star Wars film that they could take a risk with its Rogue One, because its not part of the main episodes arc surely they can allow some creative risks.

This! If they must, toe the Disney line for the rest of the trilogy, but give us something different in these Anthology films.

I'm worried Rogue One's tone will change greatly from what we saw in the teaser trailer the way Spectre did.

This! If they must, toe the Disney line for the rest of the trilogy, but give us something different in these Anthology films.

I'm worried Rogue One's tone will change greatly from what we saw in the teaser trailer the way Spectre did.

Look how Marvel Disney is controlled, Disney appear to not allow too much deviation? Surely that's not good news for Episode VIII either, it begs the question how many risks will Episode VIII actually take.

• RC7RC7
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,512
    A mate of mine who shot on it said, Edwards was treating it like an indie production. He did a lot of coverage himself, on the hoof. When you compare that with JJ, who is the archetypal, blockbuster director, then you're always going to have a stylistically different film.

JJ is an absolute guarantee that you'll get a slick, finely tuned and expertly packaged picture. The type that would score him an A+ at UCLA (Disney) because it does what he and others know works. No stepping out of line, or playing with expectations. He's like Spielberg, but without the genius.

It would be interesting to know what Edwards has assembled, because I've also heard that he specifically stated to the crew that he wanted to make it rough and ready, after having a pretty torrid time with execs on Godzilla. I don't imagine he'll be too happy about this kink in the road, but then if you take on a SW you must surely realise it's not about your vision. It's about toy sales.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    RC7 wrote: »
    A mate of mine who shot on it said, Edwards was treating it like an indie production. He did a lot of coverage himself, on the hoof. When you compare that with JJ, who is the archetypal, blockbuster director, then you're always going to have a stylistically different film.

JJ is an absolute guarantee that you'll get a slick, finely tuned and expertly packaged picture. The type that would score him an A+ at UCLA (Disney) because it does what he and others know works. No stepping out of line, or playing with expectations. He's like Spielberg, but without the genius.

It would be interesting to know what Edwards has assembled, because I've also heard that he specifically stated to the crew that he wanted to make it rough and ready, after having a pretty torrid time with execs on Godzilla. I don't imagine he'll be too happy about this kink in the road, but then if you take on a SW you must surely realise it's not about your vision. It's about toy sales.

God what a depressing thought. Star Wars is now about toy sales and safe mass marketing.

Give me 'rough and ready' Star Wars anyday.

When you think the original Star Wars was a massive risk and shot 'on the hoof' on a limited budget.

I can't stomach TFA. Nothing but a derivative fake.