Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @mepal1, suppose it just depends on your location. I saw TFA for the second time in cinemas this weekend and we unfortunately got there a little late, and there were hardly any empty seats left.

The funny thing about 'Avatar' was that it wasn't terribly successful when it debuted; it had lasting power and the word-of-mouth brought it to where it stands today financially.

Just because it's been out for four weeks now doesn't mean anything; it's already nearing $2 billion and, as @chrisisall said, this movie will probably stay in theaters for the next few months.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    But it will (IMO) have legs in the rest of the world. I expect to see in still in theatres for a lot longer than most movies...

If you look at last weekends figures, if you take China out, the rest of the International gross was already dropping heavily from the previous week, but i think it will be a close thing
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @mepal1, suppose it just depends on your location. I saw TFA for the second time in cinemas this weekend and we unfortunately got there a little late, and there were hardly any empty seats left.

The funny thing about 'Avatar' was that it wasn't terribly successful when it debuted; it had lasting power and the word-of-mouth brought it to where it stands today financially.

Just because it's been out for four weeks now doesn't mean anything; it's already nearing $2 billion and, as @chrisisall said, this movie will probably stay in theaters for the next few months.

I live on an island called the UK ;) where SWTFA has been, if not more a bigger hit than it has been in N.America in respect to BO gross/population.

Yes, i know SWTFA will be in theatres for a long time, but it will not be able to make another $1 billion, maybe a few hundred mil, which would put it in the same region as Titanic.
    From rough estimates I've just found, the U.S. population is roughly five times the size of the UK's. TFA has made roughly $150 million in the UK, while TFA has made $815 million in the U.S., which equates to more than five times the UK box office numbers. So, just going off of your logic, TFA is definitely more popular and successful here. Perhaps that's why my theater was packed when yours wasn't. ;)
    From rough estimates I've just found, the U.S. population is roughly five times the size of the UK's. TFA has made roughly $150 million in the UK, while TFA has made $815 million in the U.S., which equates to more than five times the UK box office numbers. So, just going off of your logic, TFA is definitely more popular and successful here. Perhaps that's why my theater was packed when yours wasn't. ;)

You made one crucial error, Domestic box office is not U.S.A. alone, its U.S.A. + Canada.
    Many people make this mistake when they make box office comparisons.
    There's close to 36 million people in Canada.
    I know it all sounds a bit nerdy, but this increases the multiple factor to somewhere around 5.6/1. UK wins, narrowly. There is a site called 'box office forum', where you can see where people have done all these nerdy calculations, though obviously it doesn't take into account the differing ticket prices in each region.

Anyway, Australia beats both N.America and the UK, so far, for its BO gross/population for SWTFA. ;)
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,566
    Even still, a reduction of that much doesn't alter the population-to-box-office difference between the UK and the U.S. that heavily. They're nearly at an even keel, and perhaps the U.K. slightly edges the U.S.

However, I never said that it would make another billion, just that it will continue to sell tickets for another few months. It will, however, beat 'Titanic' at some point.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Repeat offenders will pump coin into this monster for months. And remember how much dough the [lacking] prequels made...
    Even still, a reduction of that much doesn't alter the population-to-box-office difference between the UK and the U.S. that heavily. They're nearly at an even keel, and perhaps the U.K. slightly edges the U.S.

However, I never said that it would make another billion, just that it will continue to sell tickets for another few months. It will, however, beat 'Titanic' at some point.

I'am just jesting with you. :)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Repeat offenders will pump coin into this monster for months. And remember how much dough the [lacking] prequels made...

I wonder if there are any Star Wars fans who have seen SWTFA more than our member @quantumofsolace has seen Spectre. The record here so far for Spectre cinema goings is 17 viewings.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    It seems this interview to Ahmed Best has tickled media's fancy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XuoLcN_fK74"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In it, he says he'll never again take Jar Jar's mantle even if asked to by the producers. But this doesn't mean he can have some fun with the fandom: jump to 8:50 for a treat to Liam Neeson's fans (with a sense of humor, that is).
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    Edit: Duplicated this post was. More careful we padawans should be. Along move, along move.
    Interesting interview, @bigladiesman, thanks for posting. He made some interesting points, though I don't think a good comparison for the type of work done by someone like Andy Serkis is a Martian from 'John Carter of Mars.'
    'Star Wars: Episode VIII' is being pushed back to December 2017. The new 'Pirates of the Caribbean' film, originally scheduled for a July 2017 release, will now occupy the original release date that 'Episode VIII' held of May 26th, 2017.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/649137-star-wars-episode-viii-delayed-until-december-2017#/slide/1
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,813
    I just saw that on FB too. While I'm already bloodthirsty to see the movie TODAY, in the end it's good that they're taking their time with it. Good things to those who wait
    It was initially going to have a production delay of one month (which means it would've started filming in February), but now it seems they plan on shooting next month and delaying the film by half a year, I suppose for fine-tuning and letting it succeed even more at the box office, probably attempting to ape the success that TFA had.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Has anyone here seen this yet? =))
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FaOSCASqLsE
    It doesn't seem 100% confirmed why 'Episode VIII' was delayed, and while December may be a better release for it than late May (though releasing it in May could allow it to capitalize on the summer box office), but it's currently undergoing a re-write to account for the audience getting to know the characters from TFA better (since they're so loved) instead of introducing a bunch of new protagonists.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This doesn't really come as a huge surprise and was looking likely due to the success of TFA in that spot so makes perfect sense.

I can wait another 6 months or so and once Rogue One arrives it will only be another year to go, possibly we'll get the first trailer for Ep 8.

Speaking about that surely R1 is due it's first official teaser trailer soon?

I have to say Rogue One is definitely my most awaited blockbuster this year and SW films after my reaction to SPECTRE have become the series I will most await unless Bond 25 really pulls its finger out.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Shardlake I'v read that the Rogue One trailer will premiere with 'Captain America Civil War'.
  • My excitement on Rogue One depends on one thing: DARTH VADER. Is he just a cameo (yawn), or is he the main antagonist?? (YES YES!!!!)
    I thought I read somewhere that they were collaborating with a bunch of prop making fans to painstakingly recreate not only Darth Vader's costume, but exactly as it appeared in A New Hope. If they're paying that much attention to detail, I would certainly hope it's not just a dumb cameo.

Kyle Katarn will always be the guy who stole the Death Star plans in my eyes (yes I know it's not canon anymore ;) )
    Remember Dark Forces? Those were the days!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I am also glad that they're taking their time but I was looking forward to the return of the traditional May release date. Bummer. Oh well, I can't complain. We could only be so lucky to get a new Bond film in two years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So this means that December 2017 coul get 3 big sci-fi epics? 'Star Wars VIII', 'Avatar 2' and 'Ready Player One' (the next Spielberg)?
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,119
    At first watch, I liked "Star Wars: The Force Awakens".

But after thinking the film over, I started to think "Is this the only thing J.J. Abrahms can do?" Making almost near-perfect fan movies, in which every element is present, but NOT infusing the franchise with some new, original elements and a bit of a 'unique soul'?

Just think about it, all characters in "The Force Awakens" are fairly interexchangeable with "A New Hope". So are certain pivotal scenes. The films for me was at times....a bit too perfect: Perfect fanwank movie, nice but unoriginal story, but above all rather 'soul-less'.

This article basically verbalizes my feeling:
    http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

In all honesty? I think the anthology films / spin-off's will be way more engaging and unique. I'm looking more forward to "Rogue One: A Star Wars Tale" than "Star Wars 8".
  • RC7RC7
    but it's currently undergoing a re-write to account for the audience getting to know the characters from TFA better (since they're so loved) instead of introducing a bunch of new protagonists.

Having read the article it seems to me like a thinly veiled admission that Finn and Rey were not particularly well drawn in TFA. Having a female and black guy as the leads seems to have been their main focus and the pretty much forgot about fleshing out anything beneath the surface. In that sense I'm glad they're approaching it in this manner, it makes total sense. To introduce yet more new protagonists is totally unnecessary when you haven't fully evolved the ones you have.

Just think about it, all characters in "The Force Awakens" are fairly interexchangeable with "A New Hope".

Except they aren't. The characters in the original SW all have some meat on the bones. Luke, Leia, Han, Obi-Wan they're all three dimensional people with a clear motivation, goals, abilities, weaknesses. Finn and Rey aren't (yet).
    RC7 wrote: »
    Just think about it, all characters in "The Force Awakens" are fairly interexchangeable with "A New Hope".

Except they aren't. The characters in the original SW all have some meat on the bones. Luke, Leia, Han, Obi-Wan they're all three dimensional people with a clear motivation, goals, abilities, weaknesses. Finn and Rey aren't (yet).

I meant:
    'Rey' is the new Luke Skywalker
    'Finn' is the new partner of Rey, like Leia was in "A New Hope"
    'Poe Dameron' obviously replaces Han Solo
    'Kylo Renn' is the new Anakin Skywalker
    'Han Solo' had a certain Obi-Wan Kenobi paternal zest
    'BB-8' obviously is the new RSD2
    'Lor San Tekka' is the proverbial first kill, like with Skywalker's parents

And then there were some signature scenes, like the killing of Han Solo above a deep abyss. Which was obviously reminiscent of how Darth Vader was killed.

Don't take the above comparisons too black-and-white, but this is at least how it felt to me.

Moreover, at times I found Daisy Ridley's acting a bit....over-the-top. If you start a role clean-sheet, then for me it's no good to over-dramatize.

Nevertheless, I liked "The Force Awakens" on first watch, don't get me wrong ;-). But I shall always be more of a Trekkie. Scenes like these you won't find in a "Star Wars" tale:

Picard lecturing about 'forced relocations' (very topical if you compare it with today's immigrant crisis in Europe):

Picard justifying his kills (wars can make characters look both like protagonists and antagonists. There's no black-and-white, only 'grey zones'):
  • RC7RC7

I meant:

And then there were some signature scenes, like the killing of Han Solo above a deep abyss. Which was obviously reminiscent of how Darth Vader was killed.

Yeah, I agree. What I meant was that if you swapped them like for like, Luke would elevate TFA, where Rey in ANH would bring it down several notches.

I meant:

Yeah, I agree. What I meant was that if you swapped them like for like, Luke would elevate TFA, where Rey in ANH would bring it down several notches.

Are you more of a "Star Wars"-fan? Or more a "Trekkie"? :-)
  • RC7RC7

I meant:

Star Wars. Trek skipped me by as kid. I'd like to get into it at some point.

I meant:

But.....you did see the 12 films and 6 TV-series no? Or at least....some parts, episodes or....at least one Picard-film no ;-)?
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512

I meant:

But.....you did see the 12 films and 6 TV-series no? Or at least....some parts, episodes or....at least one Picard-film no ;-)?

I've seen most of the films and the TV series' was always on back in the 90s. Couldn't tell you much, though. Whereas I know most of SW inside out.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    re: SW8: more backstory on the characters is definitely welcome, and if they are delaying the film for this, then both the film and the SW legend overall will be better for it.

Unlike some, I really don't have a problem with the way they approached things in TFA. The throwbacks to the past were necessary in my view to bridge the film to the past, and reunite us with a universe that we last encountered over 30 years ago (if one ignores the pretty dull prequels).

There was enough deja vu in TFA, but I didn't find it annoying because I connected to each and every one of the characters, even though their backstories weren't properly fleshed out. The film resonated with me emotionally, both on account of the 'old guard' reappearing, and because these new folks really acted their pants off. Ridley as the protagonist is actually brilliant, especially when one considers that she doesn't have the benefit of playing (or screwing up as the case may be) a legendary character who we would instantly connect to - Hayden I'm talking about you.

So I think it actually did have 'heart & soul' and that's what is making it so successful, despite a derivative plot/story. In that respect, it's similar to SF for me. Poor/derivative (TDK in the case of SF) story perhaps, but I personally find the characters credible & their motivations sincere, even if derivative.

From now on, they have to take risks and bring us new, unpredictable events & concepts, but as a reestablishing film, TFA was right on the money imho.