Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

Can I just say I LOVE the fact that they're actually building all this stuff, instead of lazily green-screening everything!!

I'm way more excited for Ep VII than I was any of the prequels

Yes, the CGI that was added to the original three in the special aditions was absolutely awful. The original special effects with models and 'real' sets we so much better. The prequels look awful compared to the original three.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,813
    First look at the 'Chrome Trooper'
    This lends to the rumor that there are now good Troopers and bad ones. Not sure which one this is, vs the futuristic white one posted before.
    ByZPWmJCAAA3qHC.jpg:large

Also, in the most random bit of news ever, the Star Wars set was visited by none other than.... Roger Moore.

What he saw could be Hoth, or another Ice Planet. There have been costume sketches of Han Solo showing up featuring a Hoth-like outfit. Anyway, here's what Roger had to say:
    Former James Bond star Roger Moore recently visited the set of JJ Abrams‘ Star Wars Episode VII. During a BBC radio broadcast, the actor briefly talked about seeing an ice planet set built on one of the Pinewood sound stages. Read the full transcript with Moor talking about his visit to the Star Wars Episode 7 ice planet set.

The following transcript comes from SW7N, from BBC radio (starting around 1:48:50 and ending around 1:50:00):

Roger Moore: …Anyway, the day before last, I know we stopped by the office, and I went up to see – on a very closed, secret set – my friend J. J. Abrams, who is directing Star Wars.

BBC: Ooh, wow!

Moore: …With Harrison Ford.

BBC: So, what were they filming that day? Can you tell me?

Moore: Well, yes! They were filming something with a lot of mountains and snow.

BBC: Okay, hmm.

Moore: But I’m assigned to secrecy.

BBC: Did you really have to sign a thing?

Moore: Oh, erm… No.

Both: [laugh]

BBC: It wouldn’t surprise me! They are crazy, those people, so…

Moore: But they have to be secret about it! What happens with film is that, somehow or another, people get their hands on outtakes and prints, and they print them and they sell them for television in the Philippines – I had a Filipino working for us years ago and he said “Oh, my family have already seen the film,” which hadn’t even had its royal premiere!

BBC: Oh! That’s extraordinary, isn’t it?

So there isn’t anything huge here, but Moore does confirm previous rumors of a mountainous ice planet. You might recall reports from May 2014 of a small helicopter accident in Iceland where second unit director Marc Wolff and the small crew were shooting ariel shots. From what we heard, no one was hurt even though the helicopter crashed on top of a glacier.

Also remember the report from BAD which talked about the opening of the movie. They ended the report with a mention of an ice planet:

“So begins a quest to find the missing Jedi Master. Meanwhile, on an ice planet, nefarious forces are building a super weapon, one capable of destroying not planets but entire solar systems … In many ways this plot of Episode VII is an echo of A New Hope. Instead of R2 coming to Tatooine it’s a hand falling from the sky, but the basic sweep of the story is similar, and intentionally so. But things that seem familiar may not be as familiar as you think – don’t assume that every ice or desert planet in the galaxy has already been visited, if you know what I’m saying.”

Could the ice planet be Hoth or is it another ice planet in a galaxy far far away? BAD seems to suggest something familiar but different.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,892
    I already have high hopes for this film from what I've seen and heard so far, and that chrome helmet and attire looks awesome.
    Whatever my expectations I am bound to go and watch this movie in cinema anyhow, which I consider brave after those blasted prequel trilogy of Lucas himself.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The hood over the chrome troopers suggests to me that they're the villainous cannon fodder.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't know how many of the rest of you actually want to watch Star Wars Rebels, but this bit of information may just make you pull it up a clip on YouTube in a few weeks:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/09/star-wars-rebels-james-earl-jones-to-voice-darth-vader
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    A TON of of new concept art was released today. Spoilery as hell, so look at your own risk

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/enormous-amount-of-new-star-wars-episode-vii-concept-art-978

We get a look at the possible villain (It's NOT Luke) and all sorts of cool stuff! I haven't been this excited about Star Wars since, well, EVER.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    WOW!!!
    A TON of of new concept art was released today. Spoilery as hell, so look at your own risk

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/enormous-amount-of-new-star-wars-episode-vii-concept-art-978

We get a look at the possible villain (It's NOT Luke) and all sorts of cool stuff! I haven't been this excited about Star Wars since, well, EVER.

Not going to look? A trailer is a different thing though when the time comes?
    I had that top image (the characters of the saga) as a wallpaper years ago.
    Holy Batcopter! Two images jump right out, this certainly looks interesting. Though I fear I am piecing things together with what I have seen and read. Banning myself from spoilers till films release X_X
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    Tatooine's too iconicly Star Wars to not go there. I would like to see a Ilum, though.
  • RC7RC7
    HASEROT wrote: »
    it's possible that the ice planet they may be using (if it's not Hoth).. could be Illum.

it's a planet that was seen briefly in Clone Wars....

databank_ilum_01_169_328d126d_zps862137bc.jpeg

i do hope it is Illum - as I want to see new planets in the movies, not that same ones over and over... if they could stay away from Tattooine in this next one, i would be happy... but something tells me they wont.

Well, they've shot background plates in Iceland, so whichever of the two would benefit from Icelandic geography (I don't know anything about Illum). Hoth was shot in Norway, correct?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RC7 wrote: »
    it's possible that the ice planet they may be using (if it's not Hoth).. could be Illum.

it's a planet that was seen briefly in Clone Wars....

databank_ilum_01_169_328d126d_zps862137bc.jpeg

i do hope it is Illum - as I want to see new planets in the movies, not that same ones over and over... if they could stay away from Tattooine in this next one, i would be happy... but something tells me they wont.

Well, they've shot background plates in Iceland, so whichever of the two would benefit from Icelandic geography (I don't know anything about Illum). Hoth was shot in Norway, correct?

Yes, at Finse.
    I'm not impressed. It sounds even more retarded than Wilhuff.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No wonder he was evil. =))
    Palpatine's name is Sheev now there's a name to die for.
    What was wrong with Palpatine?

Anyway, have these fantastic fotos been posted here?

http://www.thomasdagg.com/starwars#0
    boldfinger wrote: »
    What was wrong with Palpatine?

Anyway, have these fantastic fotos been posted here?

http://www.thomasdagg.com/starwars#0

I had not seen them, some of them are beautiful and fun.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    @haserot Thanks for the link, very amusing.
    Only watched the 1st part so far. Hilarious, and rather truthful.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Watched all seven parts, watch part seven if any, for footage of Lucas and crew discussing the movie :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love Mr. Plinkett and the people at red letter media.
    i can't remember if this has been posted here yet.... but Star Wars fans should really check out Mr. Plinkett's review of the prequel trilogy.... it's insightful, thought provoking, and really damn funny...

Watched all the Plinkett reviews, very good and insightful as you say. Some of best reviews I have seen on YouTube, the Next Generation movie reviews are a must. Thanks for posting, Red Letter Media are very entertaining.

• http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars/32784/star-wars-episode-vii-wraps-news-round-up

Bold statement, hope he did not say that about The Phantom Menace X_X
    I hope he's right, though.
  • I hope he's right, though.

Me too anticipation is ramping for episode VII, wonder when they will release the title of the movie.

Wonder if the Dark Forces title will crop up in any of the new film?