SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

It's ok Thunderfinger, do not be drawn into a long and bloody sworfight. You have an opinion and it's ok.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Sure. I never said the DAF pts is spectacular. I love how bizarre it is.

As for tie-straightening and lots of destruction, that just doesn t excite me in any way whatsoever, at least the way it is executed there.

A few action scenes that are infinitely more catching in my view:

The train fight in FRWL. The tie-straightening here is cool and for a reason.

The GF pts. Connery climbing the wall to set off the explosives, and his later fight with Capungo, now that is classic stuff.

OHMSS, any fight Lazenby is in, ski escape, bobsled pursuit and several more. Action, music, cinematography, actors, everything melts together perfectly to create an exciting atmosphere unlike anything in GE. Haha, to just compare those two...

Ski chase and car chase in TSWLM, MR pts, all the action in FYEO except the daft hockey scene, all of that puts a smile on my face.

Paris car chase in AVTAK. There are some truly great car stunts there, like the cab driving over a bus. Lots of destruction too for those who enjoy that. And the humour works for me in that one, unlike Ourumov drinking vodka looking out his back window.

TLD, opening exercise, cargo net fight.

CR, too much to mention but parkour chase stands out, stairwell fight, even the short car chase.

SF, the scene on the frozen lake. This may have to do with the exquisite photography, but these things also play a part. I never managed to see what others see in GE in that department.

SP-pts and Rome stand out. The minimal cgi use doesn t bother me in the slightest. All the bitching about that seems absurd. What next? Bitch about the actors wearing make-up?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Barry Norman was a bit harsh in saying that nothing spectacular happens after the bungee jump, but I think he was right in suggesting that it was the highlight sequence of that film, as it is the most well remembered sequence, all these years later.

Other stellar sequences in GE for me include the confrontation with Ouromov in the pts, the Ferrari/Aston chase, the theft of the Tiger, the theft of the Goldeneye, Bond and Natalya escaping Ouromov in the library/barracks, the confrontation at Janus HQ & the Alec/Bond fight atop the satellite dish.

The tank sequence may have been well executed, but it did nothing for me. It's there for a laugh.
    Yeh, the tank chase is quite over-rated! its just a tank crashing through different obstacles, and when it picks up the statue, well, it becomes sillier than the fire engine chase from AVTAK! It annoyed me about Ouromov that in the pts he was quite a threatening villain (shooting one of his own men for disobeying him!) but by the tank chase he became rather buffoonish, swigging from the hip flask etc!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sure. I never said the DAF pts is spectacular. I love how bizarre it is.

As for tie-straightening and lots of destruction, that just doesn t excite me in any way whatsoever, at least the way it is executed there.

A few action scenes that are infinitely more catching in my view:

The train fight in FRWL. The tie-straightening here is cool and for a reason.

The GF pts. Connery climbing the wall to set off the explosives, and his later fight with Capungo, now that is classic stuff.

OHMSS, any fight Lazenby is in, ski escape, bobsled pursuit and several more. Action, music, cinematography, actors, everything melts together perfectly to create an exciting atmosphere unlike anything in GE. Haha, to just compare those two...

Ski chase and car chase in TSWLM, MR pts

TLD, opening exercise, cargo net fight.

CR, too much to mention but parkour chase stands out, stairwell fight, even the short car chase.

I'm not about to argue with any of those.
    all the action in FYEO except the daft hockey scene, all of that puts a smile on my face.

Including the pedestrian submarine sequence and the underwhelming final fight with Kriegler?
    Paris car chase in AVTAK. There are some truly great car stunts there, like the cab driving over a bus. Lots of destruction too for those who enjoy that. And the humour works for me in that one, unlike Ourumov drinking vodka looking out his back window.

Not denying Julienne's epic work (which is underrated - probably because of the woeful stunt doubling) but having a racist stereotype so bad that all he's missing is the beret and stripey jumper shouting 'Ma caaah' in an 'Allo ' Allo accent is hilarious is it? I've never even thought Ouroumov swigging some vodka was meant to be funny. That's just what a Russian general does isn't it? 'Use the bumper, that's what it's there for' on the other hand is meant to be funny I presume but isn't.
    SF, the scene on the frozen lake. This may have to do with the exquisite photography, but these things also play a part. I never managed to see what others see in GE in that department.

Are you taking the piss now? Two blokes falling through some bits of polystyrene on the Pinewood tank better than a balls out action sequence on location in a major European city (yes I am aware that about 80% of it was on the backlot but there's a fair bit that isn't) with the Bond theme - remember that? - blaring out?

I don't see how photography has a bearing on this debate. I'm sure every shot by Deakins is better than the third reserve cameraman managed halfway up Mount Asgard yet to suggest that any of the action in SF compares to the ski jump is ludicrous.

So out of a series of 24 films youve come up with about a dozen or so? Hardly conclusive.

To hear you talk about the tank chase it's on a par with the moon buggy chase or tsunami shark jump.

It's not the best action sequence of the series but it certainly deserves more respect than you are giving it.
    Moon buggy chase>tank chase>tsunami surf

You're a joke mate.

So presumably you're putting the TWINE ski chase above it as well? QOS freefall? The finale of CR67

You're a joke mate.

So presumably you're putting the TWINE ski chase above it as well? QOS freefall? The finale of CR67

TWINE ski chase is shit. Those other two are so-so.

You're a joke mate.

Those other two are so-so.

Haha. Ok I get it now. It's all been a colossal wind up which I fell for!

Phew for a minute there I thought you were suggesting the tank chase was worse than the moon buggy chase.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

"Sam and I talked about "how are we going to top Skyfall - it's SPECTRE.""

Dennis Gassner.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the decision to bring back Blofeld and SPECTRE now was to trying and live up the hype of Skyfall. In other words, they didn't really have any proper plans of how they wanted it to happen, but the expectation was that Blofeld and SPECTRE being in the trailer would lead to another boxoffice juggernaut the same size as the previous film. It makes you wonder how the reception of SPECTRE, both financially and critically might impact the evolution of the story going forward. Although SPECTRE was a huge hit, there was a slight lukewarm feel about its release, and it's possible that that could have caused the producers to think twice before making their next move. How can we really be sure that another film in the same continuity won't experience a similar diminishing returns effect? Is now the time to think about changing things up, to avoid repeating some of the series most stagnant periods? These kinds of questions are what producers have to ask themselves on a daily basis - we'll never be certain how much the numbers play a role in the decision making - but my guess is that they'll to make the series look as appealing as possible to a potential distributor, and that means minimizing the risk of having another DAD or AVTAK on our hands.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    EON always seemed to have the intention of doing a SPECTRE revival, but had to go the Quantum route due to rights issues. They almost certainly knew that if they got the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE back they could find an opportunity to revive them, and when the time came they did. With a seedy criminal organization already in place, it's not a giant leap to imagine that organization being the tentacle of a larger one.

As for whether Bond 25 will or won't continue from SP, it most certainly will if Dan is on board. Continuity is what the idea of these new films are, and considering how SP ended, with Bond riding off to what he thinks is retirement while his enemy languishes in a state of revenge-fueled hate, there's no way we won't see that followed up. Dan would want it, EON would want it, that's that. It's too big a story and too big a reveal to just never touch on again. People expecting another standalone Craig film at this point are going to be disappointed, so I'd say expectations should be set accordingly.

The sense I get from Bond 25 is that it's going to be the follow-up to the "to be continued" story represented by SP's ending, and that is lined up with the rumor of P&W returning to write the script. They brought Dan in, they can bring him out, if this is the last one. It's essentially a moot point to consider anything else, as all signs are pointing to the above.
    EON always seemed to have the intention of doing a SPECTRE revival, but had to go the Quantum route due to rights issues. They almost certainly knew that if they got the rights to Blofeld and SPECTRE back they could find an opportunity to revive them, and when the time came they did. With a seedy criminal organization already in place, it's not a giant leap to imagine that organization being the tentacle of a larger one.

As for whether Bond 25 will or won't continue from SP, it most certainly will if Dan is on board. Continuity is what the idea of these new films are, and considering how SP ended, with Bond riding off to what he thinks is retirement while his enemy languishes in a state of revenge-fueled hate, there's no way we won't see that followed up. Dan would want it, EON would want it, that's that. It's too big a story and too big a reveal to just never touch on again. People expecting another standalone Craig film at this point are going to be disappointed, so I'd say expectations should be set accordingly.

The sense I get from Bond 25 is that it's going to be the follow-up to the "to be continued" story represented by SP's ending, and that is lined up with the rumor of P&W returning to write the script. They brought Dan in, they can bring him out, if this is the last one. It's essentially a moot point to consider anything else, as all signs are pointing to the above.

There's the fundamental difference in perspective. You seem to view the ending of SPECTRE as the set up for something, whereas I view it as the pay off to something, that being the Craig era. I don't think the fact that Blofeld is still alive points to an immediate sequel, and to be honest I have to make criticize EON for their timing here. They took the first opportunity they could, and forced a SPECTRE story out at quite an awkward time in an actors tenure. The idea that Quantum is just one tentacle, or that it gets taken over by Blofeld from the inside is certainly an intriguing one, but it needed the proper build up and exploration. You could devote an entire film just setting up that shift the transfer of power, setting in place the domino's that would fall, but instead...

Ultimately, I think the film ended up something of a crisis. They probably felt an immense pressure to top Skyfall, but with the script issues, the budget getting out of hand, and Craig's injury, it ended up being a salvage job. The worst part was, they weren't sure whether they could count on Craig coming back or not, so the ending had to be somewhat vague. But, like I said on another thread, I feel like Madeline was the ultimate answer for his Bond. There is really no better way for his tenure to end, even if the execution perhaps wasn't given the care it should have been. From the moment his Bond entered the game, I feel like he's been looking for a reason to get out. Just a few months in the Job he found Vesper, and was ready to give up. Then she was taken from him, and the job became the only thing he had again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

There's the fundamental difference in perspective. You seem to view the ending of SPECTRE as the set up for something, whereas I view it as the pay off to something, that being the Craig era. I don't think the fact that Blofeld is still alive points to an immediate sequel, and to be honest I have to make criticize EON for their timing here. They took the first opportunity they could, and forced a SPECTRE story out at quite an awkward time in an actors tenure. The idea that Quantum is just one tentacle, or that it gets taken over by Blofeld from the inside is certainly an intriguing one, but it needed the proper build up and exploration. You could devote an entire film just setting up that shift the transfer of power, setting in place the domino's that would fall, but instead...

Ultimately, I think the film ended up something of a crisis. They probably felt an immense pressure to top Skyfall, but with the script issues, the budget getting out of hand, and Craig's injury, it ended up being a salvage job. The worst part was, they weren't sure whether they could count on Craig coming back or not, so the ending had to be somewhat vague. But, like I said on another thread, I feel like Madeline was the ultimate answer for his Bond. There is really no better way for his tenure to end, even if the execution perhaps wasn't given the care it should have been. From the moment his Bond entered the game, I feel like he's been looking for a reason to get out. Just a few months in the Job he found Vesper, and was ready to give up. Then she was taken from him, and the job became the only thing he had again.

There's no Quantum takeover, though. Quantum served as just another figurehead to mask its parent organization, SPECTRE. They're allies, not separate entities. Blofeld gave White Quantum to run as his partner since they served together in the 'Les Spectre de St. Pierre' French battalion in Morocco as younger men. They slowly grew apart, White died and you assume SPECTRE would just swallow Quantum to join its ranks as the organization's failures made it useless as a serious organization; its cover was blown. We watched Quantum get exposed and go underground in QoS, however, so I don't think there was a need to explain what happened in SP. It's quite obvious from the start and that groundwork was laid.

As for the ending of SP, when I left the theater I knew exactly what would be coming. People won't like it, but we'll see a Bond experiencing a quiet life until something brings him back, and it's highly likely that it involves Blofeld/SPECTRE. It's the most false resolution I've seen in years, and teased of a bigger film to come. With P&W back and no doubt Dan signing on the dotted line, I think that's the film we'll see.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,473
    I wouldn't consider a lot of those details "canon" solely because they were realized in an earlier draft, then dropped in the finished script/product.

They should've left in the Morocco backstory (not sure I like the name coming from their unit, however) and dropped the ring nonsense. It's cool that the key players would own a ring crafted from a meteorite - it's a unique touch - but it's definitely a bit muddled and convoluted.
    It's in my head canon, as it connects cohesively to what we already know of Blofeld and White, and how they operate. You can tell through the subtext of the film itself and the discussion White has with Bond about the man ("he's changed.." etc) that the script was working off that draft backstory.

I also think the rock/ring connection is very "Blofeld," and fits with their vision.
    The trouble with these continuation stories is that once one loses interest in the characters, their motivations, and plot, it can taint whatever comes next.

At least with standalone films, there was more margin for error because it only impacted one film.

Just reading discussions about this Blofeld and his possible background is making me cringe.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    One thing that comes to mind after a quick review of box office is that SP had a very large component of its overall box office coming from outside of North America. Roughly 77%.

That's quite a large % even by the Craig era standards (which have been hovering previously around the 72% mark) in comparison to Brosnan's time (when it used to be in the 60% to 65% mark).

SP's % of foreign gross is even more remarkable when one realizes that the exchange rate in 2015 suppressed foreign gross, due to the strength of the US $ in comparison to other currencies at that time.

Craig's Bond films haven't been as popular in relative terms domestically as they have been overseas, and particularly in the UK, where they have tended to set records.

Roger Moore also used to deliver far larger foreign numbers in comparison to his US take.
    I was just looking through some of the top grossing films of 2017 worldwide to date. I was shocked to see the following in the top 10 or thereabouts.

#7) Your Name (anime with 99% of its gross made overseas)
    #8) Great Wall (yes, that wall. It stars Matt Damon though with 86.4% made overseas)
    #10) Kung Fu Yoga (99.9% overseas gross - and you've got to love that title. It stars Jackie Chan)
    #11) Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back (99.6% overseas gross).

This is probably where we're headed folks. The power of the Chinese market at play. I noticed yesterday that the Chinese had also co-produced the latest FF entry.
    The Chinese market has a lot of power, won't be surprised to see more films shooting over there/utilizing Chinese actors in the hopes of bigger box office returns.
    Shouldn't affect Bond too much, since action crosses all language barriers.

Not necessarily. The crazier the action, the more the Chinese love it. The likes of 'Fate of the Furious,' 'Warcraft,' and 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter' dominated over there compared to Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Not necessarily. The crazier the action, the more the Chinese love it. The likes of 'Fate of the Furious,' 'Warcraft,' and 'Resident Evil: The Final Chapter' dominated over there compared to Bond.

And Bond is averse to crazy action?

True. I really enjoyed FF8, but while I was watching the heroics and CGI-fest on screen I wondered if this would be the future of Bond also, in search of higher global profits and revenue (in order to boost MGM's bottom line - keep in mind they are owned by hedge funds at present). I sincerely hope not, but money does talk.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I still haven't seen F7, I just can't, I'll cry the whole movie through....

No, but it's pretty obvious that those three movies and Bond are two entirely different beasts. Says something about a country's interests when the likes of SF don't come remotely close to the box office of the final 'Resident Evil' series.

No, but it's pretty obvious that those three movies and Bond are two entirely different beasts. Says something about a country's interests when the likes of SF don't come remotely close to the box office of the final 'Resident Evil' series.

Yes, but Bond changes all the time. What comes after the Craig era might go down better in China, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, but Bond changes all the time. What comes after the Craig era might go down better in China, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not at all, but at the same time, I hope the films don't turn into CG-ridden explosion fests ala 'Transformers' in hopes of making a little extra in China.

Not at all, but at the same time, I hope the films don't turn into CG-ridden explosion fests ala 'Transformers' in hopes of making a little extra in China.
    I agree, and this is indeed the big fear. I also feel like Bond films of late have lost a lot of their essential quirky Britishness (Whishaw's Q notwithstanding), and I hope they retain & emphasize that attribute (along with quality dialogue) going forward without trying to outmanoeuvre the likes of FF (that building collapse at the start of SP was unforgivable) on the CGI scale.
    They rein in the CGI when the next actor starts, just like they did with Craig.

Bond is a prestige franchise, with a long, deep heritage. Transformers and FF are popcorn fluff by comparison. ;)
    Given how bigger the action felt in SP, that's probably why it fared much better in China than its predecessor did - it had it's share of CGI, too, but nothing like SP (particularly the PTS and finale).