SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That wasn't the point I was making at all. I'm saying with the logic that box office returns and how well/poorly a movie is received go hand-in-hand, that would mean that 'Avatar' IS the greatest movie of all time, and I bet you'd be hard pressed to find even a single person who agrees with that statement. Thus, it's not the case. Or, by the same logic (and it was brought up on the previous page already, not sure why), was 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' better received than SP, since it made more money? No, it wasn't.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 3,336
    SP sold 75k more tickets then Star Wars in Norway.
    That's pretty good.

Star Wars 7: 633k
    Spectre: 708k
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    AVATAR was entertaining and featured some pretty cool giant smurfs but umm masterpiece?

Compared to what? It was good I grant you that if no more than in an escapist way.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    AVATAR was entertaining and featured some pretty cool giant smurfs but umm masterpiece?

Compared to what? It was good I grant you that if no more than in an escapist way.

I think he might be being sarcastic.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I think he might be being sarcastic.

I thought so but just to be safe :D.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No, really. When it came out, I thought it was one of the best movies ever. It should definitely be seen on the big screen and in 3d.

Seeing it on a tv screen later was very underwhelming.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 7,653
    Avatar is a masterpiece in 3D, would they show it again in 3D at my cinema I would go again and watch, it is the best 3D experience I've had to this date.
    Great achievement for Spectre! =D>
    It eventually did $880 Million worldwide, which is staggering still. Only $70 Million short of the $950 Million mark I was hinting at.

Looking at 2016....."Batman vs. Superman" wasn't able to catch up "SPECTRE":

"Batman vs. Superman":
    $872,662,631 -- Worldwide Gross
    $330,360,194 -- Domestic Gross
    $542,302,437 -- Foreign Gross

"SPECTRE":
    $880,674,609 -- Worldwide Gross
    $200,074,609 -- Domestic Gross
    $680,600,000 -- Foreign Gross
    What was your original estimate, $1.2 billion?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What was your original estimate, $1.2 billion?

Yes!! I posted that earlier in this topic. How fucking wrong I was :-P.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    How many millions did SPECTRE lose because Craig wasn't exactly enthusiastic about playing Bond when discussing his own produced film?
    I noticed that DD....i felt hints of Connery ala YOLT...and Connery had no production input...
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I noticed that DD....i felt hints of wConnery ala YOLT...and Connery had no production input...

I can't really read Craig this time. He was so enthusiastic and confident with SF ...they all were even before filming started. Never got the vibe here ...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That's because of all the behind the scenes rubbish that went on with the script and Mendes even wanting to bail so close to actual principal photography. Despite having all the time in the world EoN messed up their preproduction time and it showed in the final product.
    The 'slit my wrists before i play Bond again' would be enough for me to get rid of DC and get someone else,the signs are all there that we could seriously damage the last 4 Bond films,which are all very good at the end of the day,if a bored DC returns...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The 'slit my wrists before i play Bond again' would be enough for me to get rid of DC and get someone else,the signs are all there that we could seriously damage the last 4 Bond films,which are all very good at the end of the day,if a bored DC returns...

@barryt007, have you cared to read into the context of that comment from Dan? You make the same mistake 98% of tabloid rags have repeated since last year.

@barryt007, have you cared to read into the context of that comment from Dan? You make the same mistake 98% of tabloid rags have repeated since last year.

As a fan why can he not read into that comment how he wants to after all the tabloids do as well and they know as much as any of us, lack perhaps the loyalty to the franchise.

To me those remarks did show a contempt that I find rather lacking of interest in the further franchise.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote: »

As a fan why can he not read into that comment how he wants to after all the tabloids do as well and they know as much as any of us, lack perhaps the loyalty to the franchise.

To me those remarks did show a contempt that I find rather lacking of interest in the further franchise.

Why would one elect to misunderstand the very obvious meaning behind a man's words? We don't have brains to let them dust over. What Dan meant was clear to anyone that cares to pay attention. Others thinking there's more below the surface of Dan's comments and how he carries himself in interviews, or that think that he genuinely wants done with the role and despises his work with the character, are quite out of their depth.

The difference between all of us and the tabloid rags is that we don't have a bottom line and deadlines to meet that demand we twist wrong the words of movie stars for monetary gain; we have the choice to actually think critically with the mushy pink things in our noggins. Why so many choose not to is a mystery worthy of Sherlock Holmes.
    I did not misunderstand the mans words as he said them. It is the fanboys who twist and turn and look for a deeper emotion and intent. He said what he said period.

I find Craig rather negative on his role and indeed he is no Sir Roger Moore, nor could he be as grand.

For me Craig does have to stop making 007 movies on the basis what he said. But on the basis of the recent 007 movies I would not mind seeing him walk away and let some other actor take over and steer away from the personal shyte I cannot be bother with anymore.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339

Yes thanks i have...but your concern for my wellbeing is touching.....quite a rude,disrespectful little shit arnt you ?

You are a jester in plainclothes, @SaintMark.

No he is not,his point is valid...YOU are a jester in jesters clothing....and dont ever compare me to the tabloids again.

Who likes plainclothes? Not me. :D

I do like your writings on many subjects and find them insightful even if I disagree more often than not.
    But the again I more of a Shadow fan and anybody who knows anything about Batman knows where the Bat did a lot of borrowing when he started. Or even later in life. O:-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    How many millions did SPECTRE lose because Craig wasn't exactly enthusiastic about playing Bond when discussing his own produced film?
    It's difficult to say, and it might not be in the $m @DarthDimi, but I can reasonably conclude that there was a box office fallout on account of those comments. I'm a life long fan of the series, but those remarks weren't good publicity for me prior to the film's release, and they were widely reported. They cast a negative pall over the entire film marketing. Companies spend a lot of money trying to promote their product globally, and one ill advised comment like this can torpedo the impact of some of that spend.

Moreover, such comments continue to be revisited every time a discussion about Craig and Bond occurs these days. In a way, the remarks, Craig & Bond are indelibly linked, and that could impact potential marketing for B25 should he return. Joke, or not, it was completely unnecessary and regrettable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's a shame Dan said what he said since it leaves him open to the haters, but it's obvious, from the man's body of work and his participation on all levels of the productions (of ALL four of his films), that he has a great respect for BB, the character, the franchise.

If you didn't like SP, fine, great, your opinion, but to slag the guy for his comments is getting tired. The man was exhausted after a nine month shoot when he gave the interview in question; he also got quite banged up on set (which seems to happen on most of his 007 adventures, because, yes, he gets involved in the stunt work too).

Has he repeated his so-called displeasure? No. Has he tried to clarify? Yes. But people who don't like him will not hear the clarifications/corrections. They just want to hate and go back to the original quote.

Did he express himself well? I certainly understood the point he was making. Was it the most articulate? Some of the world's most famed actors are horrible in interviews, DeNiro, for example.

This entire "drama" from the haters is stale, very stale.
    Personally i really hope he comes back..he deserves a 5th bash,and he is my favourite Bond of all,and that's from a 46 year old fart like me !!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He's my third favourite, and I'm indifferent. If he returns, great. If he's gone, that's fine as well. He's left his mark on the franchise.

As long as the producers give us a fresh film next time out (something that makes me feel like I did after I watched GE, CR or SF for the first time), then I'll be good.
    @bondjames, in other words, a third film from Campbell would be terrific.