SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

SaintMark wrote: »
    And SP should never been given an excuse as 900 million is pretty good for a movie that was mostly boring, annoying and badly directed.

It did made Jurrasic World, FF7, Star Wars and Mad Max look good in the script and idea department and still such a high BO.

"Mad Max" and perhaps "Star Wars" you're right yes. But saying that "Jurassic World"and "Fast & Furious 7", even script-wise, were better than "SPECTRE"? I can't believe what I'm hearing here....

Flying cars from one building to one building is hardly attributing to exquisit screenplay writing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 40,468
    And SP should never been given an excuse as 900 million is pretty good for a movie that was mostly boring, annoying and badly directed.

It did made Jurrasic World, FF7, Star Wars and Mad Max look good in the script and idea department and still such a high BO.

"Mad Max" and perhaps "Star Wars" you're right yes. But saying that "Jurassic World"and "Fast & Furious 7", even script-wise, were better than "SPECTRE"? I can't believe what I'm hearing here....

Flying cars from one building to one building is hardly attributing to exquisit screenplay writing.

Neither is a stumped secret agent who takes cues from a computer-generated mouse.

I don't think any of those movies particularly excelled in the script department, save for 'Fury Road' (which is even a stretch, as there are long periods of silence). Can't comment on the Jurassic movie - haven't seen it, nor will I.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Neither is a stumped secret agent who takes cues from a computer-generated mouse.

I don't think any of those movies particularly excelled in the script department, save for 'Fury Road' (which is even a stretch, as there are long periods of silence). Can't comment on the Jurassic movie - haven't seen it, nor will I.
    Would you feel better if it was an actual one?
    @jake24, not in the slightest, but making it computer generated doesn't help its case, either. Mendes has an obsession with CG animals, and I can't figure out why.
    @jake24, not in the slightest, but making it computer generated doesn't help its case, either. Mendes has an obsession with CG animals, and I can't figure out why.

I think it's sheer nitpicking. I'm very sorry, but upon first watch in cinema I thought the komodo's were real.

Saying that Sam Mendes has an obsession for CGI-animals has the same credibility and strength when uttered when we say "Jurassic World" is full of real dinosaurs.

In this social media environment......the world of forums.....we have grown accustomed to nitpicking. If "SPECTRE" or "Skyfall", with it's carefully applied, almost invisible CGI, was competing as a non-EON film in 2002 with "Die Another Day" and its blatantly visible 1990's CGI, we get a much better understanding of the very definition of nitpicking.
    @Gustav_Graves, and upon first watch, I knew that they weren't real. Also, didn't you just nitpick over the FF7 script because they jump a car from one building to another? Curious...

That statement has a ton of credibility, and your comparison makes no sense logically - saying that Mendes enjoys using CG animals (which he does - of the four or five computer generated animals used throughout the series, they're all found in either SF or SP) is equivalent to saying 'Jurassic World' uses real dinosaurs? Absolutely not.

Isn't nitpicking pretty much the entirety of what we do as Bond fans, anyway? We praise things that general audience members don't really care for or notice, and we nitpick the slightest things that many of those same people would never notice. No competition needed, but I like to dissect everything, from the best Bond movie to the worst.
    @Gustav_Graves, and upon first watch, I knew that they weren't real. Also, didn't you just nitpick over the FF7 script because they jump a car from one building to another? Curious...

That statement has a ton of credibility, and your comparison makes no sense logically - saying that Mendes enjoys using CG animals (which he does - of the four or five computer generated animals used throughout the series, they're all found in either SF or SP) is equivalent to saying 'Jurassic World' uses real dinosaurs? Absolutely not.

Isn't nitpicking pretty much the entirety of what we do as Bond fans, anyway? We praise things that general audience members don't really care for or notice, and we nitpick the slightest things that many of those same people would never notice. No competition needed, but I like to dissect everything, from the best Bond movie to the worst.

Well, let me put it differently then. I think you exaggerate. You also have rather 'bold' statements, like "Sam Mendes enjoys using CGI-animals". He never said that. Regarding Komodo dragons, there was a short discussion to use real Komodo dragons, but I don't know if you know but those 'dinosaurs' are incredibly dangerous and cannot be held in a farm like crocs. Their behaviour is entirely erratic. So I don't mind using a good CGI-model for that.

Frankly, I think the CGI-crew on Bond films recently are doing a much better job as compared to, let's say, 17 years ago. That means: No too obvious bad CGI surfing scenes, but apply CGI only when necessary and make it look as realistic as possible.

Obviously, we won't agree. You are one of the most dominant critics of Sam Mendes' Bond films. They are consistently in your Bottom 3 in your rankings. So, that also explains a lot :-). And that explains that we disagree anyway :-).
    @Gustav_Graves, but it couldn't be any more obvious that he does like using them - why else would four or five of them feature in just two films of his, while subsequently not appearing in ANY of the previous 22 movies? Odd, no? Seems like a rather unique thing to place in your movies if you don't enjoy using them.

Don't get me wrong, the last two movies did have some rather good moments of CG (which throws me off when there are terrible moments of it, too), particularly the MI6 explosion in SF - incredibly well done. However, I'd have no hope for the future of Hollywood if CGI of today wasn't better than it was 17 years ago. Still doesn't excuse it when it looks rough or out of place.

However, who is to say all of the CG is "necessary" in these past two, though? Why was Patrice's fall in SF changed, when the teasers showed off a beautiful, realistic, slow-motion fall? It wasn't necessary there.

And no, we won't agree at all, hence the discussion. I said the same thing last time - there's no harm in not agreeing, and if the entire forum agreed on everything, this place would be beyond dull.

Yes, they are in my Bottom 3. At this rate, I'll be surprised if they escape being down there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @Creasy47 regarding the Patrice fall, wasn't that just a sped up version of the one seen in the trailer? Either way, I think the final one fits the context of the scene better than the slow-mo version.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    And no, we won't agree at all, hence the discussion. I said the same thing last time - there's no harm in not agreeing, and if the entire forum agreed on everything, this place would be beyond dull.

Yes, they are in my Bottom 3. At this rate, I'll be surprised if they escape being down there.

Could be. But as of late my gut feeling tells me you have become fairly irritated by me. So while I discuss this with you, I can't help but feeling...bad :(. Perhaps this place would be more dull if we all agreed, but I have to say that the overall atmosphere has become a little grim in return.

I sometimes feel that I'm only counterproductive with my words. I can't place my finger on it....You're a bit distant, while we did chat in a more frivolous way.
    @jake24, it wasn't. The one seen in the trailer is slowed down and is most certainly done practically - the second one is just computer-generated, and looks unnatural.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    For the record, I could tell that those dragons and the mouse were computer generated. Easier to work with perhaps, and so somewhat understandable.

What I personally don't find understandable or forgivable is the augmentation work which was incorporated into many scenes in SP, including in the pretitles, and which resulted in a blurriness & dullness to some of the shots that always tips me off (such work was apparent during the rooftop bike chase in SF as well). The Patrice fall in the trailer was better imho (not sure which is the CGI one, or if both were), and more importantly, was calling out for a 'Glen scream'.

Regarding the script: I think most of us can agree that SP's script was far from optimal, and certainly not up to the level of the best Bond films, let alone the last three Craig efforts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Interesting how little things like that mouse in SP can cause outrage, when we've seen truly disastrous cinematic garbage run rampant in Bond before that make it looks harmless in comparison, which it already kind of is. This is a series that's delivered us a Scottish man masquerading as a Japanese fellow, double-taking pigeons, a cross-dressing Blofeld (take that, stepbrothergaters), glacier-surfing with a parachute, and a barn fight that turned a hardcore lesbian straight, amongst other things. But the goddamn mouse is too much?

If we're going to pick at such an inconsequential aspect of SP, or other equally inconsequential moments from that same movie (as it's trendy to hate it now), then excuse me while I chuckle in my corner. I sense a pattern here. This week people were actually moaning about how there weren't enough passengers on the train during the Hinx fight. Really. Christ almighty, no other era but Dan's would receive this kind of bullshit nitpicking, even though the majority of them contain far lesser films.
    Interesting how little things like that mouse in SP can cause outrage, when we've seen truly disastrous cinematic garbage run rampant in Bond before that make it looks harmless in comparison, which it already kind of is. This is a series that's delivered us a Scottish man masquerading as a Japanese fellow, double-taking pigeons, a cross-dressing Blofeld (take that, stepbrothergaters), glacier-surfing with a parachute, and a barn fight that turned a hardcore lesbian straight, amongst other things. But the goddamn mouse is too much?

If we're going to pick at such an inconsequential aspect of SP, or other equally inconsequential moments from that same movie (as it's trendy to hate it now), then excuse me while I chuckle in my corner. I sense a pattern here. This week people were actually moaning about how there weren't enough passengers on the train during the Hinx fight. Really. Christ almighty, no other era but Dan's would receive this kind of bullshit nitpicking, even though the majority of them contain far lesser films.

=D> I will serve you as your butler @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 .

No outrage caused, you've stepped into the conversation at an incorrect angle. It was only brought up since someone mentioned "exquisite screenplay writing" of 2015, which SP (nor any of the other aforementioned scripts) is not. It may be competent and get the job done, but "exquisite"? Absolutely not.

For those of us who take a lot of issue with what Mendes brought to the table, it appears there are also some who refuse to discuss his work in any sort of negative light. There's good and bad found in all of the Bond films, and the discussions should go accordingly. There is no perfect film, and we're Bond fans, after all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, to be honest you're one of the far more level-headed commenters here, so the outrage comment wasn't really gunning for you. I've heard crazier arguments before about SP, I just find some of the complaints funny considering how little impact it has at all on the momentum of the film.

As for screenwriting, I see nothing wrong with SP, as it's a character driven piece that does its job to continue to develop Bond, brings back White interestingly, features a great SPECTRE debut in Rome, and overall enables the film to convey an uneasiness and sense of isolation and quiet danger to me through how it tells the story, helped immensely by the visuals. But that's a whole other discussion.

Me and the rest of the SP supporters aren't incapable of discussing negative aspects of the movie, as we've done it numerous times before, especially in regards to how Mendes and co. produced it by recklessly burning money every which way on throwaway moments or the let down of the torture scene's aftermath. It's just that we choose to critique things with far greater consequence than a computer effect or the ratio of extras to the confines of a set at Pinewood. I don't mean to be prickly here, just stating how I see it.
    @Creasy47, to be honest you're one of the far more level-headed commenters here, so the outrage comment wasn't really gunning for you. I've heard crazier arguments before about SP, I just find some of the complaints funny considering how little impact it has at all on the momentum of the film.

As for screenwriting, I see nothing wrong with SP, as it's a character driven piece that does its job to continue to develop Bond, brings back White interestingly, features a great SPECTRE debut in Rome, and overall enables the film to convey an uneasiness and sense of isolation and quiet danger to me through how it tells the story, helped immensely by the visuals. But that's a whole other discussion.

Me and the rest of the SP supporters aren't incapable of discussing negative aspects of the movie, as we've done it numerous times before, especially in regards to how Mendes and co. produced it by recklessly burning money every which way on throwaway moments or the let down of the torture scene's aftermath. It's just that we choose to critique things with far greater consequence than a computer effect or the ratio of extras to the confines of a set at Pinewood. I don't mean to be prickly here, just stating how I see it.

perhaps it's also the society we live in these days. There were days, like 20 years ago, when people 'accepted' and 'swallowed' much more. I strongly support freedom of opinion, and criticism keeps us sharp. But sometimes, and I'm to blame as well, we go into a negative downwards spiral when discussing and that removes the soul and the fun from the film.
    @Gustav_Graves, it's everything to do with the age we're in. Everybody is a critic thanks to the internet, the great binary behemoth that gives as much as it takes away-or rather, the people that use it take away. The Facebooks and Twitters of the world have become popular sites where negativity festers and sucks like a leech from all those who dare to avoid such behavior when these sorts of criticisms grow from biting dislike to something much more serious and disturbing, or outright amusing in its earnestness on the other side of the spectrum.

People act like SP is the spawn of Satan. Which is amusing as I said, considering the nonsense that has come before in this franchise, and with much greater embarrassment to the series overall.

Also important to note: Just because it's a CGI mouse doesn't mean it lacks real feelings, lads. Remember that next time.

normal_troubled_mouse.jpg
    I thought the kimono dragons in SF looked much more CGI than the SP mouse.
  • The SP mouse was adequate. The kimono dragons are on for quite a while and it is more obvious on repeat viewings.
  • The SP mouse was adequate. The kimono dragons are on for quite a while and it is more obvious on repeat viewings.

I think 99% of all people who watched both SF and SP for the very first time in cinema, didn't leave the cinema with complaints like "FFF-ing hell, what a load of CGI-garbage this film is!"

The SP mouse was adequate. The kimono dragons are on for quite a while and it is more obvious on repeat viewings.

I think 99% of all people who watched both SF and SP for the very first time in cinema, didn't leave the cinema with complaints like "FFF-ing hell, what a load of CGI-garbage this film is!"

Agreed...I never gave them a second thought until I saw the comments on here tbh.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Speaking for myself, with SF it wasn't such a big deal. However, I noticed the komodo CGI, Craig's watch flash in the pretitles, the CGI helicopters & the fakery of Silva's HQ all on first watch. I was ok with all of that and was more readily able to forgive it because I really enjoyed the film and the rich characterisations, colours and wonderful cinematography.

In SP, all of this CGI work was more apparent because I just wasn't as engaged with what was transpiring on screen, and the yellow hue made it all the more apparent that some augmentation had taken place. I'm sure that those who enjoyed the film and the story more than I did probably didn't think too much of it.
  • I thought the mouse moment in SP was brilliant because it was so human. I think, especially in an OTT "classic" style Bond film, there's a danger of Bond becoming a cartoon character. I mean in SP he flies a plane while having a gunfight, is able to effortlessly take out guards even after being drilled in the head, he can fly a helicopter (and take one down with a couple of shots from a speeding boat), escape a collapsing building while barely scuffing his suit and outdrive and beat up pretty much any mortal man. Yeah yeah nobody does it better but there is a danger of it becoming dull, especially after we've seen it so many times before. But SP, like the rest of the Craig films, treats Bond like a real person. He's a three dimensional, real seeming character and I think it was a stroke of genius to essentially do a Goldeneye (a modern take on the classic formula) but with a James Bond who actually seems human. He gets jealous, he gets tired, he wonders if he's become too cold blooded/heartless, he gets drunk and practises his tough secret agent act on a mouse, the gadgets in his Aston Martin don't work, he curses when he has an injection, he tries to do his smooth new catchphrase but the bar he's at doesn't serve alcohol, he tells the useless hotel security guard to stay because he can't be arsed to fight when he doesn't have to, etc. It's one of the reasons that the film is in my top 3, and it is an example of brilliant writing imo.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The nitpicking about Spectre has reached the level of grotesque.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nitpicking alone has become so overdone lately.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'd love to nitpick over you, @Murdock. But I can't - you're awesome. Apart from your love of GE, of course...

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh @royale65, You couldn't nitpick me. I'm made of some strong stuff. ;)
    Nitpicking really annoys me too.
  • I don't really have a problem with the CGI but I would prefer live animals, it's just a shame all the animal rights groups are getting in a frenzy over everything.