The Movie Rating Thread (The Bourne Identity)

edited July 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,310
The rules are quite simple. I will post a film on this thread and leave it on for about a week. Your job will be to give it a rating out of ten. (One being the worst, ten being the best.) At the end of the week, I'll average the scores and we will get an official MI6 Community rating! If you haven't seen the film that is posted - fear not - another movie you have seen will likely be coming your way.

Feel free to simply rate and/or have discussions about the movies posted!

Our first movie to be rated will be an easy one:

400full.jpg?w=301&h=454
<font size=3>STAR WARS (AKA: STAR WARS: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE)</font>

My rating: 10/10

Such a magical movie experience from beginning to end, and one of my all time favorites.

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    9/10

About as close to perfection as science fiction filmmaking gets.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    8/10
    A magical saga begins.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nine out of ten.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    10/10

Do I even need a reason?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    9.99 of 10 (small deduction for sound in space).
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well, when you factor in things like the absolute phenomenon that this film created in popular culture at the time and the influence that it had on other films and filmmakers going forward then it's hard not give it a 10 out of 10.

Just based on my own personal enjoyment of watching it I would probably give it an 8 or a 9. So how about an 8.5?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I will be happy to discuss these films, but I won't rate them. I hate numbering systems...
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    9/10
    This is my second favorite Star Wars movie (ESB being my first). This is a true to heart Sci-Fi film, more so than the other Star Wars films.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 1,143
    Should I only give a 10 if I truly believe its the perfect movie? It isn't perfect yet remains one of my firm favourites that I continue to enjoy, from since I were a small boy. Not only that but it is hard to ignore that this movie kick-started a franchise so phenomenal, sucessful, iconic.... I could go on. 10/10
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    9,5/10

First of all, I love Star Wars. I have that fanboy thing going for it, and it's running mighty deep.

But even more so, I respect Star Wars for what it meant at the time of its release. Here's a film that taught us again how to smile, and dream, and be inspired by fantasies. Here's a film that spawned a whole new generation of open minded people who - ad libitum - took from Star Wars what they felt they could use to guide them in life, pull them through darker times and push them towards a brighter future. Also, Star Wars introduced a new kind of filmmaking with a heavy emphasis, of course, on the type of special effects we had never seen before.

Star Wars kick-started one of the most overwhelming franchises in the history of film, only second - perhaps - to Bond. Expanding on its myth-building with further films in the series and loads of EU material, the Star Wars saga effectively began in '77 with possibly one of the roughest and least complicated of its stories, but arguably one of its best.

Even if one would only watch the first Star Wars film, for whatever reason, one cannot get passed the brilliant mixture of both traditional and innovative Sci-Fi and fantasy elements. I myself, being a fan of cerebral 'hard science fiction', prefer to categorise Star Wars entirely within the fantasy genre, but even then I cannot deny that this first film in the saga makes valuable contributions to the infinite world of science fiction.

The list of things that fuel my love for Star Wars is nearly endless but if I must name but a few: the story, simple yet powerful; the John Williams score, easily the least polished of the Star Wars scores yet a timeless masterpiece; the visuals, which haven't lost a single sparkle of their brilliance, even after 36 years; the ambience, which has kept me locked in a perpetual state of amusement, hope and optimism since I first watched the film.

I know George Lucas takes a lot of heat for how he's been running his business since Star Wars, but I can only show deep gratitude for his life-changing gift called Star Wars. It's impossible to imagine a life without Star Wars.

DarthDimi wrote:
    9,5/10

First of all, I love Star Wars. I have that fanboy thing going for it, and it's running mighty deep.

But even more so, I respect Star Wars for what it meant at the time of its release. Here's a film that taught us again how to smile, and dream, and be inspired by fantasies. Here's a film that spawned a whole new generation of open minded people who - ad libitum - took from Star Wars what they felt they could use to guide them in life, pull them through darker times and push them towards a brighter future. Also, Star Wars introduced a new kind of filmmaking with a heavy emphasis, of course, on the type of special effects we had never seen before.

Star Wars kick-started one of the most overwhelming franchises in the history of film, only second - perhaps - to Bond. Expanding on its myth-building with further films in the series and loads of EU material, the Star Wars saga effectively began in '77 with possibly one of the roughest and least complicated of its stories, but arguably one of its best.

Even if one would only watch the first Star Wars film, for whatever reason, one cannot get passed the brilliant mixture of both traditional and innovative Sci-Fi and fantasy elements. I myself, being a fan of cerebral 'hard science fiction', prefer to categorise Star Wars entirely within the fantasy genre, but even then I cannot deny that this first film in the saga makes valuable contributions to the infinite world of science fiction.

The list of things that fuel my love for Star Wars is nearly endless but if I must name but a few: the story, simple yet powerful; the John Williams score, easily the least polished of the Star Wars scores yet a timeless masterpiece; the visuals, which haven't lost a single sparkle of their brilliance, even after 36 years; the ambience, which has kept me locked in a perpetual state of amusement, hope and optimism since I first watched the film.

I know George Lucas takes a lot of heat for how he's been running his business since Star Wars, but I can only show deep gratitude for his life-changing gift called Star Wars. It's impossible to imagine a life without Star Wars.
    Excellent review, Dimi. I very much share your thoughts. Though I was not around in 1977, I can for sure appreciate Star Wars for its technical innovations, the fantastic score, good and simple storytelling and many other traits.
    7/10 I did have the disadvantage of seeing The Empire strikes back before I saw the 1st SW movie, so it did not leave the same big impression on me.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    10/10

The original trilogy are my favourite movies so this is pretty easy.
    8.5/10.

I love it, it's so entertaining but the fact is that the next film is a masterpiece
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I might as well discuss my feelings. While I am not big into Sci-fi, I can see the appeal of films like Star Wars. The trilogy is one of the finest uses of the hero myths, with the chosen one, the mentor, the damsel, the lovable rouge and more all present in the action. Luke is a great character to follow, and has that everyman appeal to him that remains constant even as he develops with his jedi powers. The characters are classic, and all compliment each other nicely, giving them their timeless appeal that can never be erased. The special effects are amazing for the time, and some beat those I have seen in recent times in their creativity and presentation alone. The locations suck you in immediately, the films make you feel the danger and risks, and you always root for the heroes with extreme passion. While these films will probably never be amongst my go to catalogue of cinema, I do enjoy them and respect them vehemently for what they have done not only for the medium of film, but for their genre as a whole. Hats off to Star Wars. ;)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 1,310
    While these films will probably never be amongst my go to catalogue of cinema, I do enjoy them and respect them vehemently for what they have done not only for the medium of film, but for their genre as a whole.
    I have always been very fascinated with films that appeal beyond the genre. I try to figure out what makes a particular movie more than just a 'fantasy' or a 'sci-fi' or whatnot. [/quote]

But you are absolutely right - Star Wars somehow managed to transcend genre limitations and appealed to anyone and everyone. Maybe it comes back down to how simple yet relatable the story is.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SJK91 wrote:
    Maybe it comes back down to how simple yet relatable the story is.
    Coming of age stories are timeless.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 53
    Superb film, only bettered by Empire Strikes Back. I couldn't get enough of this as a kid. As an adult however, I can only watch it as the lead film to the series as both times I've tried to watch episodes 1 through 6 in order I keep coming to a stand-still by episode 4. Not sure it's the number of films either as I can quite happily watch the Harry Potter films with ease. Mind you I've only seen the Potter series twice over whereas I've seen Star Wars loads of time, maybe there's an issue of over familiarity there.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Well it is one of the most influental movies ever made. And i have during the last years started to really, really love this film.
    I was part of the generation that grew up with the prequels and i loved those three films as a child, but i have found out that they are absolutely not as good as i remebered them.
    But for "A New Hope", i give it a solid 10/10
    Just to let you all know, I will be out of town for the next couple of days and will likely not have access to the internet. I'll be extending the voting for Star Wars until about July 9th or 10th.

Until then, happy voting and discussion!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    9/10

What can I say about this film that has not already been mentioned? Epic, epic film. I love the whole SW universe, and even the games are great. Can't wait to see how the new trilogy fleshes out. May the force be with Disney.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I want to try and be dispassionate here as a lot of my Star Wars love is based on childhood nostalgia which does not necessarily mean a great film.

These days I do find that the opening 20 minutes with the droids drags a bit and is quite naff and lets be honest the script is a bit dodgy but its all about the spectacle at the end of the day.

And in that respect its unparalleled delivering effects that have not been bettered. Somehow your eye can tell the difference between a CGI mess and something that is real and in Star Wars you are almost convinced that everything before you is somehow real.

The shots of the Falcon entering the Death Star are sublime as is the final attack. I had the misfortune to watch Man Of Steel the other day and it truly is shocking to think that in my lifespan effects have seemingly taken a backward step into relentless and tedious CGI when George delivered something that changed cinema and still looks sensational today.

Shame really that after doing it so beautifully with models George became one of the foremost people to abandon any creativity in favour of CGI.

But his career of the last 25 years notwithstanding you have to hand it to the guy who pressed on and created an empire when everyone in Hollywood thought it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Still 8/10 but at the time and viewing through the rose tinted glasses of my 80's childhood 10/10.
    A 9.9 based on conception alone. TESB is an improvement, however, so I guess you know what rating I'd give it.
    One final bump to get those last votes in! I'll be tallying in 24 hours.
    I'll give a 9/10, god those prequels sure missed a character like Solo.
  • 8/10

It's fun and engaging with decent performances and good effects work. Essentially a children's film but a really engaging one which works for adult audience. The dialogue's a bit clunky but the characters, plotting and humour all work really well. Harrison Ford puts in a really great movie star performance.
    Right!

We have given <font size=3>STAR WARS</font> a collective score of: <font size=3>9.07</font> based on 19 votes. Thanks to all who participated!

Next up....
    464456-return_to_main_page_for_the_bourne_identity_posters_large.jpeg
    <font size=3>THE BOURNE IDENTITY</font>

My rating: 8/10

To me, The Bourne Identity is a slick thriller that has a great performance from Matt Damon and a neat, twisty story. Not quite as fun as the best Bond adventures, but a very good spy tale nonetheless.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I will go with an 8/10, as well. Great action flick, and I do enjoy the twists and turns that come throughout, but a downfall of it is how many times I've seen it. Somewhat of a bad reason to give it a lower score, but I've tired myself on it and some of the action sequences have grown a little stale. Still: 8/10
    8.5 or 9/10 Cracking film that made a huge impact on not just Bond, but action films in general.

Brilliant fight scenes and a good solid story, without the shaky cam and overly complex plots of the sequels.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I really like that film far more than the others. It's one of those films I wish didn't take any money so it could've been left alone.

8/10.