Your Bond watches

145791015

Comments

  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,756
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Aka the SMP.

    I believe Prince Billy Windsor still wears his, gifted to him by his mother.
    Yes, he does still wear it. I think it's the midsize as well. Joe Biden wears one as well.
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can personally vouch for the quality of the construction of the Seamaster Diver 300M. It is the most robust timepiece I have ever owned. A brick. Sturdy and substantial.

    The Spectre Seamaster correct?
    No, I am referring to the Diver 300M, also known as 'The Bond'. Brozza's watch, which put Omega back on the map. The one you and imranbecks have. That thing is a tank.

    The Spectre watch is the Seamaster 300.

    Omega's nomenclature is confusing.

    Ah yes, I sometimes get confused, because there's the Seamaster 300 (Spectre) and the Seamaster Pro (Brozza watch). I personally haven't had to drag this watch through hell (yet), but I'm happy to hear it's very sturdy. Any stories of it's robustness? :D

    How does your submariner compare? Would you say it's more of a brick than the SMP?

    Also what do you think of the DC planet ocean?
    Well I had mine for nearly 10 years and wore it daily. when I finally sold it on it looked as good as new. The alternating polished/brushed bracelet hid scratches well. I accidentally dropped it once, and accidentally knocked it on door jambs a few times. No damage, although there was a tiny nick on the blue bezel (the weak spot).

    The Sub is a much lighter watch due to the hollow bracelet links. Rolex uses a higher grade steel than most other manufacturers, and I find it resists scratches and holds up very well. It's a very sturdy piece too, but just lighter. Like the Seamaster Diver Pro, I can see it lasting for a long time with minimal visible wear. Probably the weak spot on these watches is the protruding date magnifier.

    I can vouch for the DC QoS P.O. 2500 because I had one for a year or two. That is a tremendous watch as well. It's actually heavier than the SMP Diver and very substantial on the wrist. I can't comment on the glassback P.O. 8500 he wore in SF, but generally all P.Os are very strong and recommended watches, if you can tolerate the wrist weight. I found it a bit bothersome and so wore mine most of the time on a rubber strap (loved it).

    Thanks for the write up, @bondjames. All great watches. Thinking of a future watch I could get once I get a career going, all three are extremely sound watches. I'm pretty keen on a sub but I would feel like it would render my SMP obsolete. Meh, it could one day be my "dress" watch..

    The glidelock must be a blessing, one thing I hate about bracelets is the lack of adjustability.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @dominicgreene, just to clarify, I sought out the older Sub (Dalton's from LTK). I don't have the glidelock maxi-case version therefore, but rather the old micro pin adjustment. I actually prefer this version due to the more compact proportions (and the less pronounced squared lugs of the maxi-case). Plus it has the hollow bracelet links and so is lighter. There is no doubt that the current glidelock Sub is a far superior piece of engineering, but style wise I prefer the more rounded older version (Cameron Diaz wears it in Knight and Day btw, if you want to see it in a film other than LTK). If you have a smaller wrist, you may not be able to wear the current version well.

    You're right though that having a Sub makes the SMP somewhat redundant because they are so similar. An AT might be the way to go for a dressier experience (that way you can keep the SMP as well).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,756
    bondjames wrote: »
    @dominicgreene, just to clarify, I sought out the older Sub (Dalton's from LTK). I don't have the glidelock maxi-case version therefore, but rather the old micro pin adjustment. I actually prefer this version due to the more compact proportions (and the less pronounced squared lugs of the maxi-case). Plus it has the hollow bracelet links and so is lighter. There is no doubt that the current glidelock Sub is a far superior piece of engineering, but style wise I prefer the more rounded older version (Cameron Diaz wears it in Knight and Day btw, if you want to see it in a film other than LTK). If you have a smaller wrist, you may not be able to wear the current version well.

    You're right though that having a Sub makes the SMP somewhat redundant because they are so similar. An AT might be the way to go for a dressier experience (that way you can keep the SMP as well).

    The AT will feel like a sports watch in comparison!

    And that Rolex is really lovely, love the matte bezel and case of the older rolexes. Is yours still pressure tested to be swimmable?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    @dominicgreene, just to clarify, I sought out the older Sub (Dalton's from LTK). I don't have the glidelock maxi-case version therefore, but rather the old micro pin adjustment. I actually prefer this version due to the more compact proportions (and the less pronounced squared lugs of the maxi-case). Plus it has the hollow bracelet links and so is lighter. There is no doubt that the current glidelock Sub is a far superior piece of engineering, but style wise I prefer the more rounded older version (Cameron Diaz wears it in Knight and Day btw, if you want to see it in a film other than LTK). If you have a smaller wrist, you may not be able to wear the current version well.

    You're right though that having a Sub makes the SMP somewhat redundant because they are so similar. An AT might be the way to go for a dressier experience (that way you can keep the SMP as well).

    The AT will feel like a sports watch in comparison!

    And that Rolex is really lovely, love the matte bezel and case of the older rolexes. Is yours still pressure tested to be swimmable?
    Thanks. The old school aluminium bezel on mine doesn't shine as much as the ceramic bezel on the newer maxi-case Subs but it still has a slight sheen. The dial is glossy though and that gives it a nice reflectivity which catches the light (my Railmaster in contrast has a matte dial).

    Yes, even though I bought it used, it was pressure tested and warrantied for one year by the shop. I've never taken it to the pool or the shower. I always take it off beforehand. Lol. What a waste!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    The PO master chronometer never ceases to impress.


    20170704_162905.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Beautiful @doubleoego. Love the ceramic bezel.

    I finally received my custom croc from the far east. Perfect, and really makes my Railmaster pop.

    C2gq5ZB.jpg
    ncNfwrk.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    Thanks @bondjames. That Croc strap looks stunning and I love the pairing with some good ol' fashioned manly Johnny Walker. The railmaster imo is Omega's most underrated product line. Gorgeous piece.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Thanks @bondjames. That Croc strap looks stunning and I love the pairing with some good ol' fashioned manly Johnny Walker. The railmaster imo is Omega's most underrated product line. Gorgeous piece.
    Thanks. I personally love it (I first saw it on Clarkson's wrist on Top Gear and knew I had to have one) but you're right that not too many folks know about the line. Hopefully the new one they introduced this year gets it more noticed.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,756
    Love the Railmaster and Planet Ocean, great watches guys.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited July 2017 Posts: 3,410
    bondjames wrote: »
    Beautiful @doubleoego. Love the ceramic bezel.

    I finally received my custom croc from the far east. Perfect, and really makes my Railmaster pop.

    C2gq5ZB.jpg
    ncNfwrk.jpg

    Smart and classy. The Whisky's not bad either....
  • Division_00Division_00 Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts: 66
    Hi, I have an Apple Watch. I saved a GoldenEye N64 watch face to my camera roll and used it as my background. Everyone who sees it and knows what it is freaks out. https://goo.gl/U5Nv2T

    I also have this https://goo.gl/PRZFeu
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    Posts: 1,003
    28lrh5j.jpg
    r2ulp2.jpg
    28jy6g7.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Very nice approximation of the real thing @CASINOROYALE . I'm liking the nato look strap as well. I'm waiting for the day that you graduate to the real thing. You can get a Brosnan Seamaster Quartz for a reasonable price these days. Excellent pieces. I highly recommend it.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited November 2017 Posts: 887
    Haven't posted here in a while... Back with my Spectre AT

    24461893798_e22ed8561d_c.jpg
  • Posts: 630
    Love it! I hate the changes they made with the new AT line.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Posts: 887
    JET007 wrote: »
    Love it! I hate the changes they made with the new AT line.

    Likewise. The horizontal teak pattern on the new AT models ruins it. And I don't like the conical shaped crown. Saw the new blue one in person, looks ok, more casual look to it, a slightly different shade of blue, but still doesn't look as good as the previous blue AT with the vertical teak pattern.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    imranbecks wrote: »
    JET007 wrote: »
    Love it! I hate the changes they made with the new AT line.

    Likewise. The horizontal teak pattern on the new AT models ruins it. And I don't like the conical shaped crown. Saw the new blue one in person, looks ok, more casual look to it, a slightly different shade of blue, but still doesn't look as good as the previous blue AT with the vertical teak pattern.
    I agree and honestly don't know why they changed it. I'm interested to see what piece they come up with for B25, because not much in their current lineup really interests me these days.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    They should just keep the Planet Ocean for Craig. The new AT is an eyesore.
  • Posts: 630
    I'm trying to decide which way to go on my first Omega. Any advice on purchasing a Brosnan era Seamaster from Watchfinder.com or a newer model from Jomashop.com ? Anything to look out for?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    JET007 wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide which way to go on my first Omega. Any advice on purchasing a Brosnan era Seamaster from Watchfinder.com or a newer model from Jomashop.com ? Anything to look out for?
    An excellent watch. A few thoughts:

    1. You can get a quartz or an automatic. The quartz will cost less and be easier to maintain (just the battery change), but it will have a tick tick second hand rather than the clean sweep of an auto. Brosnan in fact wore the quartz in GE before transitioning to an auto in later films

    2. There have been a few variants of the Brozza automatic watch over the years. It started off with an ETA 1120 movement, which is a very simple and highly reliable mechanism. Easy to service cheaply too because most watchmakers are familiar with it. In time, they transitioned the movement to the George Daniels based 2500, which is more complex and a little more difficult and costly to service. I've had both and honestly, the ETA backed movement was just as good. Keep in mind though that the 2500 movement version looks better (it has raised hour markers with chrome bezels, and also came in a really cool black version). Then they facelifted the watch a few years later with a ceramic face (it had the same movement but lost the wave dial pattern which was on the non-ceramic watches). It is a more substantial watch now with a heavier feel. Neither Brosnan nor Craig ever wore the ceramic version.

    3. In terms of new vs. old: that's a tough question. These watches have been around for so long that they don't really appreciate all that much. The used will be cheaper of course, and as long as you find a well maintained model with all the books and papers you should be good. I assume if you purchase from a used dealer (watchfinder?) you should also get a limited store warranty. Keep in mind that if you purchase from jomashop you won't get the Omega warranty (I don't think). You will get jomashop's warranty. The Omega warranty only comes from an official dealer. Sometimes it's better to buy a used watch from an individual because if it's new enough you will get the remainder of the official warranty with it (don't let this be the deciding factor though, because the watches are generally quite reliable. More important to focus on condition, and all books, boxes and papers when making a used purchase). If you decide to purchase from an individual, make sure to go with them to a dealer first to authenticate the watch. I don't think you'll be able to get any non-ceramic watch from jomashop though. They will only have the newer ceramic versions.

    You may want to look up some articles online on the watch forums like watchuseek. There will be a lot of information there and folks even offer them for sale.
  • Posts: 630
    @bondjames , thanks for the advice! I am definitely looking for an automatic, but can't make up my mind between something worn on screen or an updated version that's brand new and therefore hopefully more trustworthy. Watchfinder has a Seamaster from 1999, but the bezel has been refurbished at the very least. Is that par for the course? I'm not finding anything I like on eBay at the moment, which just makes me hesitate and wonder if I should get something I know for sure is under Omega's actual warranty. Watchfinder does offer a year. Then there is the regular 300 from Spectre that has always had my eye, too...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @JET007, my pleasure. Regarding older (from the films) vs newer, it's really up to your personal tastes. There's no real reason to worry all that much about mechanical trustworthiness as long as it's authentic. These watches tend to last and work for at least 5-7 years before a service is required and then once that service is done they will run perfectly well again for some time. So it really depends on what style you want and then seek out the best example you can get your hands on. A service could cost about $500 -$700 from a dealer but you can get it done cheaper from an indy (especially for the 1120 ETA powered model).

    Keep in mind the model variations I mentioned (from left to right):
    1) Original version with 1120 movement and no raised hour markers or chrome rings around markers,
    2) A rare and reasonably sought after model with traditional Omega style arrow markers - this also runs the 1120 movement. It's known as model 2254,
    3) The newer model version with 2500 movement as worn by Craig in CR (he wore the blue) - this one has the raised hour markers with chrome rings around them. Omega logo is in chrome.
    4) the latest ceramic version which loses the 'wave' dial. It also has the chrome rings and raised markers. Omega logo also in chrome.

    axJ9lx1.png

    I've purchased quite a few on ebay over the years and have never had any problems thankfully. I always 'buy the seller' and ask lots of questions first. I got my Railmaster and more recently a Cartier from ebay. Check your local craigslist too as they sometimes pop up there. You may be able to find one that's still on warranty on ebay also. Set up a 'search' that emails you daily when something pops up.

    Regarding the Seamaster at Watchfinder, yes a refurbished bezel isn't unusual as they tend to get dings. Having said that, if someone replaced it, that means the watch was hit there, which could suggest the original owner wasn't too careful with it. I have never had to replace a bezel on any of the Seamasters I've owned, although one had a small nick.

    The 300 from SP is a completely different watch. No date function, much more expensive and much thicker due to the newer movement.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Are fake/prop watches allowed here?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 11,510
    Are fake/prop watches allowed here?
    If you're buying a fake watch for the sole purpose of turning it into a displayable prop or gadget, then from what I've read, Bond watch enthusiasts generally don't have a problem with it. After all, who is crazy enough to spend $$$ on an actual Omega or Rolex just to have it sit there on the shelf, or gut it to fit it with LEDs and motors? If it's a fake you want to wear, then be prepared for ridicule. Either way, you may receive that 'fake watches fund terrorism' lecture from someone, which will often make a nice thread like this turn sour - much like the end of a discussion on politics or religion! Personally it doesn't bother me if someone shows a fake watch, just as long as they don't claim it as legit.

    @ClarkDevlin What have you got, mate? Let's see some pics.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Sure thing, @QBranch.

    Thing is, I've obtained this one about a month ago in an Eastern European country for only like 35 bucks (US dollars). Of course, I'm not investing in an actual Rolex wristwatch by spending tens of thousands on it just to show off. Too many responsibilities to attend to. Knockoffs like these in the US can be bought for triple the price of what I've spent on this one. Can't say I'm a fan of the colour, and especially the bezel, but it'll do, I guess. Until I find a Rolex Submariner knockoff.

    This happens to be a knockoff of Rolex Yachtmaster with blue rubber strap.

    7ItiC6O.jpg
    WBhSvGN.jpg
    UqzSFpr.jpg
    rBWmutQ.jpg

    I'm no watch enthusiast. But, watching some videos on YouTube where users expose the fake watches and help tell the difference between the actual one and the fabricated ones, I'd say they've done hell of a job... Minus the colour, which I understand the Rolex Yachmasters don't come in blue and gold-hued plate. Only black and gold.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @ClarkDevlin, that is a very good imitation. The giveaway for me is the date magnifier which is clearly fake. The gold and blue hues are also 'off'.

    I just want to point out that many watch 'enthusiasts' aren't into these items for the show off factor. Rather, it's the attention to detail in the time pieces, the iconic designs, the quality of the workmanship and the engineering which are the main draw. Once one gets into it, the whole thing becomes quite addictive. Like being an automobile fan. It's almost like a club of like minded people.

    When I started off my first purchase was a 'pre-Bond' Omega Seamaster. I bought it used in a New York pawn shop because I thought it looked like a Sub (which is what I really wanted) but also because it was still a decent quality watch.
    O7Ue9Vh.jpg
    There were fake Subs sold by neighbouring street vendors too, but I had no interest in them. Eventually, I got the Sub - honestly I've always wanted one since I saw LALD as a kid.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Definitely, @bondjames. The date magnifier often has to appear to have a blue-ish cyan surface about it on the genuine ones from what I understand. Like you, I'm also not a fan of the blue and gold hues and as such prefer the watch to be stainless steel. I think Rolex's Oyster Perpetual line of models are the best in the brand, with the Submariner standing out as the greatest among those. If I could find someone who could change the bezel to another with the black colour, the strap is easy to change in itself. The watch is built rather well and works perfectly without any mishaps.

    When it comes to Omega, I'm a Seamaster guy and only resort to loving the models from the Brosnan era and Craig's in CR. Since 2008, Omega really lost its value for me and became less attractive each year.

    For now, I think I'll settle with the fake watches and enjoy them. But, it's definitely on my list to get a Brosnan era Omega Seamaster and a Rolex Submariner in the future... Perhaps in ten years time.
  • Posts: 630
    I love a lot of the improvements in current Omega, but that Brosnan Seamaster design is just brilliant!
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Posts: 887
    There is the Seamaster, then there is that other Seamaster..... The look of this still blows me away. Don't like the newer ones.

    38412945284_78793d3dd7_b.jpg
  • Posts: 630
    Agreed, Imran. I went to the AD last week and they didn't even have any of the new ones, yet. I was curious if I would like it better seeing it in person, but all they had in an AT was an older GMT. Tried on the diver and it fit perfectly! The PO on the other hand felt like it was weighing my arm down.
Sign In or Register to comment.