Christian Symbolism in Skyfall

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:

Can we discuss religion here at MI6? Of course we can. Can we discuss Bond and Christianity here at MI6? We can. But would it be smart to do so? Absolutely not. The risks are greater than the merits.
    Yeah, I can't quite figure it out. Being a sort-of-Buddhist, I'm not so serious about it all, so when anger enters the conversation, it's like an unexpected blowout. And it happens on most forums. Right here at MI6 on a Spider-man thread I innocently commented on Spider-man 2's use of crucifixion imagery when Pete saves the train, and a WHOLE religious argument popped out of nowhere.
    *raises hands in air*
  • To paraphrase that noted philosopher, Linus Van Pelt: "There are three things I never discuss in public: politics, religion, and the Bond Code Name Theory."
    To paraphrase that noted philosopher, Linus Van Pelt: "There are three things I never discuss in public: politics, religion, and the Bond Code Name Theory."
    That's one of the two great truths. the other being never start a land war in Asia.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Can I say that I regret this thread going this route? To spot symbolism is one thing, to recognise it to be unintentional is in fact a crucial thing but where it went wrong is the hint at it being a good thing, intentional or not. That immediately puts this thread on a whole other track.

I'm not going back to find out who dropped the suggestion and who blew it out of proportion. This isn't me pointing an accusing finger. I'd just love to generally ask to leave religious subtext out of our Bond discussions. We all know the Bond films to be purely secular entertainment so any attempt at squeezing in religious talk will automatically provoke unpleasant reactions.

We're not fascists here at MI6; we don't 'forbid' things to be discussed. We merely encourage some common sense when starting a new thread. Yes, this topic could have been interesting, I'm not blaming this thread's creator; but yes, of course it will in due time produce conflicts. Anyone can figure that out. I often think of things that can be discussed but quickly decide against them, knowing that whilst my intentions may be good, what happens after the opening post is entirely beyond my control.

Trolls enjoy raising the subject of Christianity because they know it'll go wrong. Both Christians and atheists are members of this forum but they - we - get along quite well because we smartly avoid Bond related talk on a biblical canvas. The minute someone does press a similar issue, someone else will be, intended or not, upset and strike back.

Can we discuss religion here at MI6? Of course we can. Can we discuss Bond and Christianity here at MI6? We can. But would it be smart to do so? Absolutely not. The risks are greater than the merits.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.

Very wise words Darth and I for one apologise for using language that is not suitable for what is a family forum - although obviously that apology only extends to people offended over the term 'blow job'. If you were offended on any religious grounds then alas I'm afraid no apology is forthcoming as I really couldn't care less. When people worry about me being offended then maybe but as long as any offence I might take is of as little account as sparrows tears as long as we don't upset the religious then it's never going to happen.

We were having a reasonable debate until the Billy Graham twins turned up but I should be mature enough not to rise to their bait I suppose as it always ends in tears and with me (never them you note - we must respect their beliefs at all costs remember) getting told off.

Anyway back on topic.

One thing struck me about this which perhaps shines a light on Fleming/Bonds attitude to religion (forgive me for taking the discussion in this direction @Beatles as I think the debate has moved on from the initial question about SF); when he's in a tight spot when does Bond ever ask for divine intervention?

Let me explain. About 10 years ago I had a cancer scare and upon leaving the doctors having been booked in for tests the next day (given that this was the NHS, next day tests indicated the seriousness with which the doctor was treating it) I was walking down the street and quite involuntarily I offered up not so much a prayer but more a pleading entreaty for God to save, even promising to go to church every week if he saved me. I don't know where it came from exactly, presumably 15 years worth of catholic brainwashing and looking back I feel quite ashamed at being so pathetic in the face of death.

But ultimately it was a fairly rational human reaction to fall back on ones training, as it were, in the face of death. After all the only reason religion exists in the first place is due to mankinds fear of dying.

So the point I'm trying to make is Bond comes way closer to death than I did that day yet I cannot once recall him asking for help from above. Yes there's the bit in GF when he thinks he's dead and in heaven (and even here the tongue in cheek tone of the paragraph is in itself perhaps indicative of Flemings attitude to religion) but there's never one moment that I can recall, be it having his knackers pulped by Le Chiffre or being at the mercy of SMERSH's top assassin on the Orient Express where Bond hands over responsibility for his life to a mythical deity.

Even when, for me, he's at his lowest ebb in DN's obstacle course his inner voice tells him to 'get on you bastard!' There's no hint of self pity just a reliance on himself to keep going to the bitter end. Is this what religion is then? Mere self pity and an abrogation of responsibility for your own fate? I think it was probably my motivation on that day.

And also in MR when Bond plans to light a fag under the Moonraker he seems more concerned with having a whisky rather than cleansing his soul by praying to the man upstairs.

In summary Bond never had the reaction I did when faced with death which to me indicates:

1) Probably a less strictly religious schooling and upbringing.
    2) He simply doesn't feel any need for religion.
    3) I am a far bigger coward than Bond.

Any or all of these things may or may not be true but as far as I can tell the character of James Bond never has the slightest religious tendencies.

Thinking about it I fear I may have dragged us off topic again as I'm sure there already threads about Bond/Fleming's religiousness.
    I think it's safe to say most of us are far bigger cowards than Bond. ;)
    Back to SF-
    I'll call it 'baptism by fire-d upon'.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,554
    If you were offended on any religious grounds then alas I'm afraid no apology is forthcoming as I really couldn't care less.

Worry not, @TheWizardOfIce. I'm not easily offended. And certainly not in religious matters. My religion is physics after all - the only one that's always right. Well, almost. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote:
    My religion is physics after all - the only one that's always right. Well, almost. ;-)
    DD, how does your religion explain Bond surviving that fall whilst in shock by intrusive lead trauma?
    Ludovico wrote:
    Off topic, but Christmas is very secular and its origins predate Christianity. In fact Christmas celebrations were very controversial among Christians and even now certain denominations condemn it. Will get back on topic later.

Not at all off topic IMHO. The degree to which "Christianity" has become secularized is very much an important part of the issue. As pointed out earlier (by @Dragonpol I believe) Fleming (and therefore Bond) was probably a secularized (or cultural) Christian; he was raised in a Christian country and as such, certain practices (including but not limited to the celebration of Christmas) were more or less hardwired into him. Whether or not he formally practiced that faith in all its particulars, the foundation of that belief was pretty much inescapable. At weddings, at births and at funerals, and yes, at Christmas and Easter, the trappings of the Christian faith are often there regardless of the nature of one's own personal beliefs. As for the nature of Bond's own religious affiliation: given the intensity of Bond's professed patriotism, I wonder if he might lean towards the Church of England? (That's a joke, son, a joke. Danged smiley button seems to be on the fritz right now...)

Well, in the case of Christmas, it was first secular, or at least Pagan, then Christianised, then re-secularised. But the way it is celebrated is full of primitive Pagan imagery. The mistletoe, the Christmas tree, the yule log, heck even the Nativity Scene (which is at least as much about fertility symbols than Christian icons) belong in a way or another to pre-Christian myths.

As for cultural Christians, nobody would deny this of Fleming of Bond. But then again, even Richard Dawkins says he is a cultural Christian and loves the King James' Bible as a work of literature, so this is not saying much.

So anyway, back on topic, SF has Christian imagery, even Christian symbolism, I do not doubt it. Whether it is voluntary or involuntary is irrelevant: what matters is that it is there. However, this does not mean the movie has much, if any, of a Christian ideology. Personal Christian moral seems foreign to Bond, to say the least and as I mention, he is in the eyes of most Christian churches an unrepentant sinner.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    My religion is physics after all - the only one that's always right. Well, almost. ;-)
    DD, how does your religion explain Bond surviving that fall whilst in shock by intrusive lead trauma?

I must check with the great Calculator. His word is my dogma. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    If you were offended on any religious grounds then alas I'm afraid no apology is forthcoming as I really couldn't care less.

Worry not, @TheWizardOfIce. I'm not easily offended. And certainly not in religious matters. My religion is physics after all - the only one that's always right. Well, almost. ;-)

Careful you don't offend someone there Darth with your righteousness! Religious people are well known to be tolerant and would never presume that theirs is the one true faith.
    00Beast wrote:
    What always cracks me up when reading threads like this one and particularly the views shared by messers @00Beast and @LeChiffre is that death and murder is fine in Bond, they have no axe to grind there. I mean, after all it's only a film. But whatever you do you mustn't take the Lords' name in vein. That just won't do at all!

By all means, let us see the gruesome sights of people getting eaten by sharks and being blown up in decompression chambers with their brains splattering over the glass but don't you dare use the name Jesus or God in a manner which may offend us! The hypocrisy is just astonishing.

Hypocrisy? All right, that's a low blow. Are you kidding me? It's not like Christians condone unnecessary murder and violence, but it's a fictional movie- need I explain that further to you? It's not as if we believe in going out and doing the same. There'd be no plot to the movie without it. Taking the Lord's name in vain, however, is not only unnecessary, but inappropriate. You're just picking out one little facet of the argument and turning it into your own ammunition. Spare me the "hypocrisy" talk, please- it's embarrassing.

I'm certainly not embarrassed but you should be. I mean you've just said it yourself. IT'S A FICTIONAL MOVIE!!!! Yet you're the one getting upset over the use of blasphemy. Sex and violence is OK with you but please don't use Christ in a disparaging fashion. I'm sorry you get so easily offended. If you don't like it don't watch it. No one's forcing you to.

Actually, the sex is not all right with me either- you just assumed that it was, and incorrectly, I might add. And also, I wasn't intending to cause a fuss over the blasphemy issue, I merely agreed with what was stated earlier by @LeChiffre, who was also not looking for trouble, and you made it a hypocrisy issue for the both of us, and with incredible ignorance, too. Do you think I watch the portions I disagree with, yet rant about it on the forum? I don't- I skip over the parts I disagree with; of course, you made another assumption that I was a "hypocrite". Quite tasteless, in fact. I'm surprised your comments have not been removed, since they are equally offensive as mine supposedly were.
  • RC7RC7
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    What always cracks me up when reading threads like this one and particularly the views shared by messers @00Beast and @LeChiffre is that death and murder is fine in Bond, they have no axe to grind there. I mean, after all it's only a film. But whatever you do you mustn't take the Lords' name in vein. That just won't do at all!

By all means, let us see the gruesome sights of people getting eaten by sharks and being blown up in decompression chambers with their brains splattering over the glass but don't you dare use the name Jesus or God in a manner which may offend us! The hypocrisy is just astonishing.

Hypocrisy? All right, that's a low blow. Are you kidding me? It's not like Christians condone unnecessary murder and violence, but it's a fictional movie- need I explain that further to you? It's not as if we believe in going out and doing the same. There'd be no plot to the movie without it. Taking the Lord's name in vain, however, is not only unnecessary, but inappropriate. You're just picking out one little facet of the argument and turning it into your own ammunition. Spare me the "hypocrisy" talk, please- it's embarrassing.

I'm certainly not embarrassed but you should be. I mean you've just said it yourself. IT'S A FICTIONAL MOVIE!!!! Yet you're the one getting upset over the use of blasphemy. Sex and violence is OK with you but please don't use Christ in a disparaging fashion. I'm sorry you get so easily offended. If you don't like it don't watch it. No one's forcing you to.

Actually, the sex is not all right with me either- you just assumed that it was, and incorrectly, I might add. And also, I wasn't intending to cause a fuss over the blasphemy issue, I merely agreed with what was stated earlier by @LeChiffre, who was also not looking for trouble, and you made it a hypocrisy issue for the both of us, and with incredible ignorance, too. Do you think I watch the portions I disagree with, yet rant about it on the forum? I don't- I skip over the parts I disagree with; of course, you made another assumption that I was a "hypocrite". Quite tasteless, in fact. I'm surprised your comments have not been removed, since they are equally offensive as mine supposedly were.

You're of course entitled to do/think/believe what you like. All I'll say is that it's a real shame you're bound by a set of rules that in no way advocate your right as a human being to freedom of thought and action. A real shame.
    @RC7: That's the viewpoint that secular humans take- I understand why you would think that way, but in reality, such vices really don't improve life- they only impair it from being truly great. You might not believe that God's Word is the best route to take, and I cannot make you believe that, but please don't say that it's a shame for me to abide by it. Truthfully, my life is better because I do try my absolute best to follow it. All I'm saying is that The Lord's way is the best, and I wish more people believed that and acted on it. To tell you another truth, Christians do have freedom of thought and action- what you might view as restrictions and impairments are, in reality, things which shouldn't be done anyway, and because we abstain from them, our lives truly do include more freedom. You don't have to believe that, but I thought I should explain a little bit of why I follow The Word, and how it's not in any shape, form, or fashion holding me back.
    I sense a thread close... :-?
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2013 Posts: 10,512
    00Beast wrote:
    @RC7: That's the viewpoint that secular humans take- I understand why you would think that way, but in reality, such vices really don't improve life- they only impair it from being truly great. You might not believe that God's Word is the best route to take, and I cannot make you believe that, but please don't say that it's a shame for me to abide by it. Truthfully, my life is better because I do try my absolute best to follow it. All I'm saying is that The Lord's way is the best, and I wish more people believed that and acted on it. To tell you another truth, Christians do have freedom of thought and action- what you might view as restrictions and impairments are, in reality, things which shouldn't be done anyway, and because we abstain from them, our lives truly do include more freedom. You don't have to believe that, but I thought I should explain a little bit of why I follow The Word, and how it's not in any shape, form, or fashion holding me back.

So you've experienced both sides of the coin and determined that faith is the better of the two?

Oh and for the record, sex isn't a vice. It's the reason you exist.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    00Beast wrote:

Okay, 00Beast. I feel that you have had your response to others. But for this thread to remain open it needs to be on topic. The mods have stepped in. If you have anything to add about symbolism in Skyfall, please do. But we do not want this to be a thread arguing about religions.
    Same comments to you, RC7.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I sense a thread close... :-?

Yes it will be soon if it cannot get away from the religious debate. Which we all knew would crop up at some point, although some decent discussion was had early on.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I'm sorry you get so easily offended. I'd love to know how my comments are meant to be offensive. If you don't like the sex or violence then why even bother watching these films? It's the equivalent of me sitting through an hour of the BBC's Songs of Praise then writing in to Points of View to complain about all the religious stuff on my television!

Oh and Judi drops the F Bomb in SF but hey, at least she didn't say Christ I suppose.
    RC7 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

So you've experienced both sides of the coin and determined that faith is the better of the two?

And you think I don't realize that? My goodness, I meant outside of marriage- and I think you realized that. Sheesh, I am in no way attempting to attack you. I'm only trying to have a little discussion about the beliefs already addressed. Please don't make it an argument, because I'm not trying to jump on you.

@WillyGalore: All right, there's clearly no point in discussing anything with you.
  • RC7RC7
    00Beast wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

And you think I don't realize that? My goodness, I meant outside of marriage- and I think you realized that. Sheesh, I am in no way attempting to attack you. I'm only trying to have a little discussion about the beliefs already addressed. Please don't make it an argument, because I'm not trying to jump on you.

@WillyGalore: All right, there's clearly no point in discussing anything with you.

I'm not attacking you either. I was just curious to know if you'd experienced a life without faith at any point, as that would add more weight to your assertions. Just curious.
    Don't worry @00Beast. As a Christian, I expect you'll just forgive me.
    @RC7: No, I have not experienced life without the faith- I'm very thankful that I have not experienced that kind of life, but if I had, it would have certainly made me doubly thankful for Christianity. I just really do know how life outside of Christ really messes people up, based on friends and family that I have experienced problems with. It's very sad.
    Don't worry @00Beast. As a Christian, I expect you'll just forgive me.

I'm not sure if there was sarcasm there or not, but yes, I do forgive you.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Enough! Get back to the topic at hand please. Take the childish squabbles to the PM's.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Off topic, but Christmas is very secular and its origins predate Christianity. In fact Christmas celebrations were very controversial among Christians and even now certain denominations condemn it. Will get back on topic later.

Not at all off topic IMHO. The degree to which "Christianity" has become secularized is very much an important part of the issue. As pointed out earlier (by @Dragonpol I believe) Fleming (and therefore Bond) was probably a secularized (or cultural) Christian; he was raised in a Christian country and as such, certain practices (including but not limited to the celebration of Christmas) were more or less hardwired into him. Whether or not he formally practiced that faith in all its particulars, the foundation of that belief was pretty much inescapable. At weddings, at births and at funerals, and yes, at Christmas and Easter, the trappings of the Christian faith are often there regardless of the nature of one's own personal beliefs. As for the nature of Bond's own religious affiliation: given the intensity of Bond's professed patriotism, I wonder if he might lean towards the Church of England? (That's a joke, son, a joke. Danged smiley button seems to be on the fritz right now...)

Well, in the case of Christmas, it was first secular, or at least Pagan, then Christianised, then re-secularised. But the way it is celebrated is full of primitive Pagan imagery. The mistletoe, the Christmas tree, the yule log, heck even the Nativity Scene (which is at least as much about fertility symbols than Christian icons) belong in a way or another to pre-Christian myths

This is very correct and almost all of it German in origin. During Weihnachten, or the tide of Yule to other Germanic peoples, Mother Frikka gives birth to Lord Palter. This idea existed long before the Catholics, thus by default Christianity, claimed it for Jesus and his (ahem) virginal mother who was married- maybe Joe needed some Viagra?

Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Well, in the case of Christmas, it was first secular, or at least Pagan, then Christianised, then re-secularised. But the way it is celebrated is full of primitive Pagan imagery. The mistletoe, the Christmas tree, the yule log, heck even the Nativity Scene (which is at least as much about fertility symbols than Christian icons) belong in a way or another to pre-Christian myths

This is very correct and almost all of it German in origin. During Weihnachten, or the tide of Yule to other Germanic peoples, Mother Frikka gives birth to Lord Palter. This idea existed long before the Catholics, thus by default Christianity, claimed it for Jesus and his (ahem) virginal mother who was married- maybe Joe needed some Viagra?

As a baptised catholic and altar boy for 10 years (I'm sure the documentation still exists somewhere) that's pretty offensive to my faith Sir Henry. I would flag you if I didn't believe in freedom of speech.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

As a baptised catholic and altar boy for 10 years (I'm sure the documentation still exists somewhere) that's pretty offensive to my faith Sir Henry. I would flag you if I didn't believe in freedom of speech.

=))
    "The lesson is: Our God is vengeful! O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!" - Homer Simpson
  • Can we not, out of simple respect for one another, not make childish jabs at each others' religions? I doubt you'd like it if I were the one taking potshots, and I'd just like the same courtesy extended to myself and the other Christians on here.
    Can we not, out of simple respect for one another, not make childish jabs at each others' religions?
    My religion invites childish jabs.
    1st rule of religion: If you truly believe, no one can piss you off with their nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.