Batman

Comments

I do hope whoever directs we get Villains new to film Batman still has some great villains that haven't been used yet 1 of them recently appeared in CW's Batman i mean Arrow sorry Arrow is the name of the show (I love it but I'm sure I'm the only one)
    After seeing The Dark Knight Rises twice now and reminiscing fondly about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I believe Chris Nolan has crafted a saga that ranks as one of the best Batman stories ever told, if not the best.

My main argument roots itself in the fact that Nolan’s Batman trilogy actually gives Bruce Wayne a definitive ending to his time as the Caped Crusader. Better yet, Bruce gets a happy ending, something that’s pretty much impossible to do in his comic interpretation. Let me explain: Chris Nolan actually allows Bruce to move on past his parents’ death and begin living and enjoying life again. Whereas in the comics, Bruce Wayne will forever be tormented by the death of his parents to fuel his war on crime. Because a status quo must be upheld for future generations of readers to be able to pick up a Batman comic and understand it, Bruce Wayne will always be Batman and, as a result, he will always be a miserable human being.
    The idea of Bruce Wayne actually being able to get over his parents’ death allowed Chris Nolan and the rest of the crew working on THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the opportunity to really play up one of Batman’s defining themes -- legacy. In the comics, Bruce Wayne has drafted many people into his continual war on those who pray on the fearful. We’ve had five Robins, three Batgirls, a Batwoman, and a large number of other colorful characters carrying on Batman’s tradition of stomping the faces of criminals. However, as long as Batman is around, these characters will always feel secondary, no matter how many mini-series and ongoings they each get to tell you otherwise. Batman will always overshadow all of them and there will never be a true passing of the torch.
    In the Nolan-verse, things are different. For starters, we don’t have a bunch of little boys running around in pixie boots. Instead, Batman is left to inspire ordinary folks to stand up against injustice, a theme started in Batman Begins with Jim Gordon, then played with more heavily in The Dark Knight with the impostor Batmen, and finally concluding in The Dark Knight Rises with the entire Gotham City police department and, more specifically, John “Robin” Blake quitting the force because the “structural shackles” of law enforcement permit him from delivering true justice.

The mantle of the Batman is not reserved for Bruce Wayne alone. It can be argued that Christopher Nolan's underlining thesis on Batman is that anyone can serve as Gotham's Dark Knight as long as they have the motivation and dedication to stopping injustice. The position isn't reserved for only orphaned boys, although they seem to gravitate to the role like a fly towards light. As Bruce states in BEGINS, Batman is not a man, because a man can be corrupted or killed. Instead, Batman is an ideal, a symbol that anyone can aspire to, even men wearing hockey pads, though their life expectancy is much shorter.

The idea of Batman being more of a catalyst to inspire those fed up with how the system is operated has always fascinated me more than just seeing Bruce Wayne under the cape and cowl on repeat. I don't see it written anywhere that just because Bruce Wayne donned the costume first in 1939 that he should forever be under it. Isn't it a more powerful statement to the character's value that even when Bruce Wayne is gone, the legend of the Batman lives on?
    Now, while Chris Nolan’s Batman films clearly nail the thematics that drive Batman to do what he does, they don’t hit every note perfectly. If there’s one part to Batman that the Nolan-verse films fail to put on proper display it is the actual detective aspect of the character. Nolan’s version of Batman is more a ninja than a super sleuth, content with searching for something on Wikipedia and calling it a day.Furthermore, the Nolan-verse Batman is more reactionary than preemptive; something goes terribly wrong and Batman has to deal with it. In the comics, especially those of Grant Morrison, Batman is a man that has countermeasures to his countermeasures. It’s borderline psychotic how many angles he’s thought of to prevent every possible scenario. The Bruce Wayne of the movies is not like that, outside when he creates the sonar computer to track the Joker.

Those two issues aside, I feel like I could go on for another 2,000 plus words on the subject of what’s absolutely incredible about Chris Nolan’s Batman films -- the supporting cast, the unique takes on iconic villains, the music, etc. But let me bring this to a close by readdressing my original question: is THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the definitive Batman tale? Some might feel differently, but due to the trilogy’s finite (happy) ending for Bruce and the fact that every major theme that makes Batman Batman is present and accounted for, I’m going to say yes.

Chris Nolan and everyone else working on the DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY should be elated with the work they’ve done on these films. They’ve given us a definitive take on the character that doesn’t just rehash exactly what we’ve already read in year’s prior. The films aren’t perfect, but they’re pretty darn close. And if I ever need to prove to someone why Batman is a great character, I can hand him or her these three movies and the point should be made with an exclamation mark.
  • Dalton12 wrote:
    After seeing The Dark Knight Rises twice now and reminiscing fondly about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I believe Chris Nolan has crafted a saga that ranks as one of the best Batman stories ever told, if not the best.

My main argument roots itself in the fact that Nolan’s Batman trilogy actually gives Bruce Wayne a definitive ending to his time as the Caped Crusader. Better yet, Bruce gets a happy ending, something that’s pretty much impossible to do in his comic interpretation. Let me explain: Chris Nolan actually allows Bruce to move on past his parents’ death and begin living and enjoying life again. Whereas in the comics, Bruce Wayne will forever be tormented by the death of his parents to fuel his war on crime. Because a status quo must be upheld for future generations of readers to be able to pick up a Batman comic and understand it, Bruce Wayne will always be Batman and, as a result, he will always be a miserable human being.
    The idea of Bruce Wayne actually being able to get over his parents’ death allowed Chris Nolan and the rest of the crew working on THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the opportunity to really play up one of Batman’s defining themes -- legacy. In the comics, Bruce Wayne has drafted many people into his continual war on those who pray on the fearful. We’ve had five Robins, three Batgirls, a Batwoman, and a large number of other colorful characters carrying on Batman’s tradition of stomping the faces of criminals. However, as long as Batman is around, these characters will always feel secondary, no matter how many mini-series and ongoings they each get to tell you otherwise. Batman will always overshadow all of them and there will never be a true passing of the torch.
    In the Nolan-verse, things are different. For starters, we don’t have a bunch of little boys running around in pixie boots. Instead, Batman is left to inspire ordinary folks to stand up against injustice, a theme started in Batman Begins with Jim Gordon, then played with more heavily in The Dark Knight with the impostor Batmen, and finally concluding in The Dark Knight Rises with the entire Gotham City police department and, more specifically, John “Robin” Blake quitting the force because the “structural shackles” of law enforcement permit him from delivering true justice.

The mantle of the Batman is not reserved for Bruce Wayne alone. It can be argued that Christopher Nolan's underlining thesis on Batman is that anyone can serve as Gotham's Dark Knight as long as they have the motivation and dedication to stopping injustice. The position isn't reserved for only orphaned boys, although they seem to gravitate to the role like a fly towards light. As Bruce states in BEGINS, Batman is not a man, because a man can be corrupted or killed. Instead, Batman is an ideal, a symbol that anyone can aspire to, even men wearing hockey pads, though their life expectancy is much shorter.

The idea of Batman being more of a catalyst to inspire those fed up with how the system is operated has always fascinated me more than just seeing Bruce Wayne under the cape and cowl on repeat. I don't see it written anywhere that just because Bruce Wayne donned the costume first in 1939 that he should forever be under it. Isn't it a more powerful statement to the character's value that even when Bruce Wayne is gone, the legend of the Batman lives on?
    Now, while Chris Nolan’s Batman films clearly nail the thematics that drive Batman to do what he does, they don’t hit every note perfectly. If there’s one part to Batman that the Nolan-verse films fail to put on proper display it is the actual detective aspect of the character. Nolan’s version of Batman is more a ninja than a super sleuth, content with searching for something on Wikipedia and calling it a day.Furthermore, the Nolan-verse Batman is more reactionary than preemptive; something goes terribly wrong and Batman has to deal with it. In the comics, especially those of Grant Morrison, Batman is a man that has countermeasures to his countermeasures. It’s borderline psychotic how many angles he’s thought of to prevent every possible scenario. The Bruce Wayne of the movies is not like that, outside when he creates the sonar computer to track the Joker.

Those two issues aside, I feel like I could go on for another 2,000 plus words on the subject of what’s absolutely incredible about Chris Nolan’s Batman films -- the supporting cast, the unique takes on iconic villains, the music, etc. But let me bring this to a close by readdressing my original question: is THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY the definitive Batman tale? Some might feel differently, but due to the trilogy’s finite (happy) ending for Bruce and the fact that every major theme that makes Batman Batman is present and accounted for, I’m going to say yes.

Chris Nolan and everyone else working on the DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY should be elated with the work they’ve done on these films. They’ve given us a definitive take on the character that doesn’t just rehash exactly what we’ve already read in year’s prior. The films aren’t perfect, but they’re pretty darn close. And if I ever need to prove to someone why Batman is a great character, I can hand him or her these three movies and the point should be made with an exclamation mark.

Great post you thought about it alot. I feel that the Nolan films just used Batman and his mythos instead of making an actual film about Batman. Burton was great, but I feel that he put too much of his style on Batman. However, it sure does come close. I want a film that says, "Oh yeah, that is Batman". Burton, like I said, come close, but oh but too far.
  • Ooooh my, I laughed at this a bit harder than I should have :))

tumblr_me9mgmBR2f1r4rlnco1_500.jpg
  • Fellas, I have a question. I haven't seen Batman vs Dracula, and I'm wondering... Is Batman vampirized? I need to know.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

By "ingeniously twisted ride" do you mean an utterly repulsive representation of the greatest comic book hero of all time along with the cadres of villains that fill his world until you end each film asking "was this supposed to be a Batman film?"
    I grew up loving the Batman of Detective Comics, particularly the Neal Adams version. THAT Batman has never been done on film yet, so Burton's version will suffice for me...
  • Anyone can aid me with the information I need, please?
    JamesBond wrote:
    Anyone can aid me with the information I need, please?

Batman becomes the vampire that ends life on Earth.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    JamesBond wrote:
    Well that's a bummer.

Just kidding... I don't do spoilers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    JamesBond wrote:
    Well that's a bummer.

No, it ends with Batman victorious. OF COURSE. ;)

SHHHHHHHH!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

SHHHHHHHH!
    Yeah, yeah. It's a given mate. That's like telling someone Bond dies in Skyfall (and I mean for real). Sure...
    That's like telling someone Bond dies in Skyfall
    So you are Spoiler-man ?

:))
    chrisisall wrote:
    That's like telling someone Bond dies in Skyfall
    So you are Spoiler-man ?

Oh that's right, because we all haven't seen Bond fall off the Turkish train and know he fakes his death in all the trailers for Skyfall. If Bond died then why would EON be setting up/preparing for Bond 24 and 25?
    Oh that's right, because we all haven't seen Bond fall off the Turkish train and know he fakes his death
    You RUIN it for all who think he might die from watching the trailer!!!
    Sixty lashes with a wet noodle for you!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh that's right, because we all haven't seen Bond fall off the Turkish train and know he fakes his death
    You RUIN it for all who think he might die from watching the trailer!!!
    Sixty lashes with a wet noodle for you!

Another day in this thread will be torture enough it seems.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 669
    I'm asking because in the comic book of the same name Batman becomes a vampire, which pissed me off when I found that out. So, the cartoon film is different, yes?
    JamesBond wrote:
    I'm asking because in the comic book of the same name Batman becomes a vampire, which pissed me off when I found that out. So, the cartoon film is different, yes?
    I am surprised you like Batman. He actually has emotions and often becomes withdrawn and teary eyed upon the recollection of the slayings of his parents that led to his life long battle to fight Gotham's injustices. You know, like a normal person would, Fleming forbid.
  • Batman controls his emotions, doesn't explode in front of his enemies crying all the time.
    JamesBond wrote:
    Batman controls his emotions, doesn't explode in front of his enemies crying all the time.
    You haven't read many prolific Batman graphic novels, have you?
  • I have. My favourite one is The Killing Joke.
    JamesBond wrote:
    I have. My favourite one is The Killing Joke.

Doesn't really answer my question.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 669
    What do you want me to tell you? The whole story behind Batman?
    JamesBond wrote:
    What do you want me to tell you? The whole story behind Batman?
    Well you would miss out the best parts considering you don't like characters with emotion, which is what Batman is predicated on. A lost childhood torn away from him. Kind of like Citizen Kane, but more violent and unforgiving. Kane cries in that film a lot, you'd hate that too. Come to think of it, you are missing out on the greatest of the 40s and 50s classics. Your loss.
  • You misunderstood me a lot. And for the record I've never read the graphic novels published in 40 and 50s. But, I started reading the ones released in 80s and 90s. Well? Still think I hate Batman?

Anyway, would you please answer my question?
    JamesBond wrote:
    You misunderstood me a lot. And for the record I've never read the graphic novels published in 40 and 50s. But, I started reading the ones released in 80s and 90s. Well? Still think I hate Batman?

Anyway, would you please answer my question?
    Citizen Kane is a 40s FILM, not a graphic novel. I was simply connecting another seminal fictional character and his emotions to your hatred of them and likely the brilliant film.
  • Brady, I don't have the time for this, right now. Just please answer my question or ignore it if you like. My question is...

Does Batman become a vampire like in the comic book of the same name? Is that hard to answer?
    JamesBond wrote:
    Brady, I don't have the time for this, right now. Just please answer my question or ignore it if you like. My question is...

Does Batman become a vampire like in the comic book of the same name? Is that hard to answer?
    Remember this:
    chrisisall wrote:
    JamesBond wrote:
    Well that's a bummer.

Guess you missed it. :-\"
  • Right. Was that hard?