Batman

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JamesBond wrote:
    Right. Was that hard?
    No need for the attitude. I answered you hours ago, so no, it wasn't heard. Who's your oculist?
    JamesBond wrote:
    Brady, I don't have the time for this, right now. Just please answer my question or ignore it if you like. My question is...

Does Batman become a vampire like in the comic book of the same name? Is that hard to answer?

No Joker and Penguin do but he does not...

I do hope David Fincher Directs the next one or Brian De Palama only 2 that can bring the Riddler to the big Screen I would care about.

Maybe with

Bradley Cooper as Bruce wayne/Batman
    Timothy Dalton as Alfred
    Nicolas Cage as James Gordon
    Jackie Earle Hailey as The Riddler

just my thoughts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have wanted someone to do Mad Hatter. You could make the character so dark if you wanted. If I did a Batman story I would have him kidnapping girls across the city to have tea parties with or something.
    Love me the Batman films

1/ The Dark Knight
    2/ Batman Begins
    3/ The Dark knight Rises
    4/ Batman
    5/ Batman returns

The rest is Rubbish. They are bound to get around to makingmore Batma films and i wouldn't want to be the guy who does them seen as Nolan's trilogy is untouchable.
    lahaine wrote:
    Love me the Batman films

1/ The Dark Knight
    2/ Batman Begins
    3/ The Dark knight Rises
    4/ Batman
    5/ Batman returns

The rest is Rubbish. They are bound to get around to makingmore Batma films and i wouldn't want to be the guy who does them seen as Nolan's trilogy is untouchable.

DING DING DING. =D>
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TLD is better than CR.
    Batman Returns is better than The Dark Knight.
    It's a question of art over publicly accepted technically proficient film-making IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    TLD is better than CR.
    Batman Returns is better than The Dark Knight.
    It's a question of art over publicly accepted technically proficient film-making IMO.
    I would be bloody interested to know what puts Batman Returns over TDK for you. I know it can't be for representation of the character, so I am curious.

I would be bloody interested to know what puts Batman Returns over TDK for you.
    Batman Returns, while VERY far from perfect was at least a work of twisted art, whereas TDK was a calculated & contrived OTT fan assault. Joker as dour Crow-in-colour-wannabe? Please.
    Your Bat-mileage clearly varies.
    ;)
    I have wanted someone to do Mad Hatter. You could make the character so dark if you wanted. If I did a Batman story I would have him kidnapping girls across the city to have tea parties with or something.

Mad Hatter Hugo Dtrange Hush and Deadshot are all villains I want to see (and freaks like Killer Croc Clayface Mr Freeze would be nice too along with 20 other villains)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Batman Returns, while VERY far from perfect was at least a work of twisted art, whereas TDK was a calculated & contrived OTT fan assault. Joker as dour Crow-in-colour-wannabe? Please.
    ;)
    I like
    *Serious stories
    *Stories where Batman acts like Batman and his backstory is canonical
    *Batman not killing people
    *Gordon actually being apart of the plot
    *Bruce's parents not being killed by Joker (that still bugs me)
    *Bruce and Alfred not letting some broad they barely know into the batcave
    *Batman films with no penguins with rockets strapped to their backs

I could go on and on and on...
    I like
    *Serious stories

I like
    *Batman being a detective
    *No ridiculous raspy Bat-voices
    *The Joker being...THE JOKER
    * No trying to make The Batman as if he could exist in OUR REAL LIFE WORLD
    * No "Q" to make his stuff

I could go on and on... :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    I like
    *Serious stories

I like
    *Batman being a detective
    *No ridiculous raspy Bat-voices
    *The Joker being...THE JOKER
    * No trying to make The Batman as if he could exist in OUR REAL LIFE WORLD
    * No "Q" to make his stuff

I could go on and on... :))

The Joker was the joker and there was detective work in Nolan's films, though not as much as you want because he knew who all the villains were. There weren't many mysteries to solve when the villain is overtly killing people of the city. You know who the bad guy is at that point.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,107
    Opinion: Batman Returns is a classic. It has a darker feel in terms of atmosphere. Tim Burton always had a knack for making grim backgrounds look appealing. Micheal Keaton is still sharp as Batman. Danny Devito steals the show as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin. When you think about it, he would have made a better Violator for the movie Spawn than John Leguizamo. Michelle Pfeiffer gave Catwoman more personality than Anne Hathaway ever could. Max Shreck is one of Christopher Walken's best roles. The main reason why I like Batman Returns is that its fun. Its not only creative but its also fun. Something a lot of big budget movies these days sorely lack. The Batman series goes to the dogs after Tim Burton decided to do no more. You don't believe me, look at Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Thank god that Christopher Nolan breathed life back into the series with Batman Begins. For my tastes, I like the depressed, psychotic Batman Burton gave us and think it's a logical idea. Not definitive, but certainly as valid as any other. And Burton certainly did play up the original grim vigilante theme, right down to the killing, that Kane/Finger started with themselves -- on a purely aesthetic basis such as that (and considering the rather blank nature of the character in regards to psychology at this point, mood, overall action and look are about the only important things to translate from those earliest of stories which I think Burton did rather masterfully), it was more based on Batman's early beginnings than most other stuff when looking at its overall noir presentation as far as both mood and character.

The Kane/Finger Batman, in simplest terms, was a lone vigilante that was soon revealed to be driven by the death of his parents --all of this can be said for Burton's Batman as well, with the main difference being that he was most interested in the psychology behind the actions of the main character (including the killing that is notably present in the two versions) rather than just the actions themselves as far as point a to point b narrative resolution.

I think it's largely forgotten in many comic story lines that the underlying basis for Batman's nightly jaunts is psychological imbalance -- both as far as the depression and the heavily weird/illogical/psycho way he chooses to deal with that, by dressing up as a bat of all things. If you portray this on film and want it to be taken seriously at all, I think the point has to be made that this is not a psychologically healthy character at all, otherwise you get camp. If you don't deal with the central idea being a character that acts out in the manner he does because of lacking mental health in much the same way as the villains he encounters -- it's obvious, but sometimes forgotten, that the basis of so many of these characters stems from their psychological traumas, and that Batman's the same when you contrast underlying motivations.
    Very good thesis, @Dalton12. You might enjoy this if you haven't seen it...
    bondsum wrote:
    Very good thesis, @Dalton12. You might enjoy this if you haven't seen it...

Yes i saw it very funny and true but iam a fan of both Burton movies and the nolan's batman trilogy . Do you like Tim Burton's Batman movies ?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    chrisisall wrote:
    ;)
    I like
    *Serious stories
    *Stories where Batman acts like Batman and his backstory is canonical
    *Batman not killing people
    *Gordon actually being apart of the plot
    *Bruce's parents not being killed by Joker (that still bugs me)
    *Bruce and Alfred not letting some broad they barely know into the batcave
    *Batman films with no penguins with rockets strapped to their backs

I could go on and on and on...

Agreed! Don't get me wrong, I thought the Tim Burton movies were okay but they don't even come close to Nolan's movies.

My ranking order of the Batman movies/TV shows I've seen...

Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Dark Knight
    Batman The Animated Series (90's cartoon)
    Batman Returns
    Batman (Michael Keaton)
    Batman Forever
    Batman (Adam West)
    Batman & Robin

Dalton12 wrote:
    Yes i saw it very funny and true but iam a fan of both Burton movies and the nolan's batman trilogy . Do you like Tim Burton's Batman movies ?
    Yes, I do. Apart from the long-winded introduction to the ghastly Penguin I think Returns is a brilliant movie. I suppose it all depends on what kind of Batman you want and grew up with and at what point you stopped reading the comic books. For me, I wasn't aware of Lucius Fox because I'd moved on from those comics way before 1979, so to me he's not canon but more of DC's desire to update and expand Bruce Wayne's world. I really liked the dark tone of Burton's Gotham and much prefer it to the daylight shots of New York in the Nolan versions. And I still think Keaton's Batmobile is way cooler than the squashed garbage dumpster that Bale gets to cruise around in.

What I'd really like to see is all the deleted scenes from Batman 89 restored and put back into a Director's Cut. There's a glimpse of some of these in the special features of the 2-disc set.

I like Nolan's movies, I just think Burton's dark and twisted take appeals to me more.
    bondsum wrote:
    And I still think Keaton's Batmobile is way cooler than the squashed garbage dumpster that Bale gets to cruise around in.
    No joke that is the single funniest description of ANYTHING I've read all year!!!
    :))
    bondsum wrote:
    Dalton12 wrote:
    Yes, I do. Apart from the long-winded introduction to the ghastly Penguin I think Returns is a brilliant movie. I suppose it all depends on what kind of Batman you want and grew up with and at what point you stopped reading the comic books. For me, I wasn't aware of Lucius Fox because I'd moved on from those comics way before 1979, so to me he's not canon but more of DC's desire to update and expand Bruce Wayne's world. I really liked the dark tone of Burton's Gotham and much prefer it to the daylight shots of New York in the Nolan versions. And I still think Keaton's Batmobile is way cooler than the squashed garbage dumpster that Bale gets to cruise around in.

What I'd really like to see is all the deleted scenes from Batman 89 restored and put back into a Director's Cut. There's a glimpse of some of these in the special features of the 2-disc set.

I like Nolan's movies, I just think Burton's dark and twisted take appeals to me more.

bondsum wrote:
    Dalton12 wrote:

Yes I grew up with Burton's movies it's so sad that Michael Keaton did only two.
    Oh and I love Elfman's score especially in returns captures the character of batman so well.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Dalton12 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:
    Dalton12 wrote:

Yes I grew up with Burton's movies it's so sad that Michael Keaton did only two.
    Oh and I love Elfman's score especially in returns captures the character of batman so well.

Damn! That music brings back some great memories. Thanks for that. Makes me want to go back and watch the Keaton movies again.

Batman Returns is my favorite too. I just prefer dark, gothic , comic book fairy tales for the adults to the more "realistic" feel of the Nolan films.

I grew up with the 60's Batman, all Batman comics from late 30's to 80's and with the Burton films and The Animated series inspired by Burton's two Batmans and the early comic books from the 30's and 40's.

I've never been against changing some things for the movies. Take the Penguin for example. Burton made him more interesting as a villain imo. I never found the Penguin in the comics all that interesting. Burton gave the character an edge. Tragic character, and not the real villain of the flick. That was Christopher Walken's character Max Shreck.

Batman Returns is also, to date, the most stylistic Bat-film out of them all.

SharkBait wrote:
    Batman Returns is my favorite too. I just prefer dark, gothic , comic book fairy tales for the adults to the more "realistic" feel of the Nolan films.

I grew up with the 60's Batman, all Batman comics from late 30's to 80's and with the Burton films and The Animated series inspired by Burton's two Batmans and the early comic books from the 30's and 40's.

I've never been against changing some things for the movies. Take the Penguin for example. Burton made him more interesting as a villain imo. I never found the Penguin in the comics all that interesting. Burton gave the character an edge. Tragic character, and not the real villain of the flick. That was Christopher Walken's character Max Shreck.

Batman Returns is also, to date, the most stylistic Bat-film out of them all.

Batman Returns will be forever my favorite batman movie I like that dark christmas atmosphere. For people like Bruce Wayne, who must forever remain outsiders of society, the best gift of all is knowing the sacrifices he makes are what allow others—even confused weirdos—to rest in peace on Christmas Eve.While to some Christmas may represent happiness and relaxation with the family, to others (such as Bruce Wayne) it can be a very cold, dark, and depressing time of year.

This is the real Batman
    http://www.culturalzest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Batman-Returns-pic-2.jpg
  • I LOVE Keaton- but I have mixed feelings on his return for Batman Forever-- on one hand it would be cool to have completed a trilogy, like Bale.
    But on the other hand, Batman Forever was so wildly different in tone (and pretty stupid too....) that I think Keaton was very smart to quit when he did.

Now Batman Forever with Keaton AND Tim Burton-- oh one can only dream!!!!

The rumor was that The Riddler was going to be played by Robin Williams-- and not only that, originally the character of Max Shreck in BR was supposed to be DENT, and he was to be horribly scarred, not killed, setting up for part 3

There's a lot of 'fan art' out there, that really makes me drool at the potential:

<center>576858_289143861185325_790004127_n.jpg

BFMK.jpg</center>
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    There's no way that Michael would have stayed on. He wasn't happy with how the villains seemed to hog the spotlight from Batman and was worried about being typecast as well as not liking the soft direction it was all going. And that's understandable. If I was a fan of Batman or even knew the bloody character I would never sign on to do the Burton films. He probably watches the Nolan films and just says, "Somebody finally got Batman right."
    There's no way that Michael would have stayed on. He wasn't happy with how the villains seemed to hog the spotlight from Batman and was worried about being typecast as well as not liking the soft direction it was all going. And that's understandable. If I was a fan of Batman or even knew the bloody character I would never sign on to do the Burton films. He probably watches the Nolan films and just says, "Somebody finally got Batman right."

I grew up with Keaton as Batman and to me he will be forever the best Batman.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    Dalton12 wrote:
    I grew up with Keaton as Batman and to me he will be forever the best Batman.
    I grew up with Adam West as Batman, but to me Keaton IS Batman.
    Keaton's Batman:

*Killed people (sometimes with a sadistic sile)
    *Let a woman he didn't even know into the batcave (thanks Alfred)
    *Took off his mask for literally no reason, exposing his identity
    *Comes up against guys with guns directly (duh!)
    *Endangered civilians with a plane he flew through Gotham with bullets firing at the Joker or sorry, Jack Nicholson doing a Joker impression. My bad, it's been a while.
    *He actually kills Joker, which Batman wouldn't do, even if he killed his parents.

This kind of stuff is why I will never think Keaton is was or ever will be Batman in any shape or form.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Why are people so against Batman killing? I didn't even know he was against killing until I saw the Nolan films (although to be fair I haven't read the comics). And didn't he kill Liam Neeson at the end of Batman Begins?

This brings up something intresting about the whole killing thing. Actually it says that in the comics he killed people for a while.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-batman-always-wins/
    Why are people so against Batman killing? I didn't even know he was against killing until I saw the Nolan films (although to be fair I haven't read the comics). And didn't he kill Liam Neeson at the end of Batman Begins?

This brings up something intresting about the whole killing thing. Actually it says that in the comics he killed people for a while.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-batman-always-wins/

Because if he kills that means he is just like Joe Chill (not JOKER!), the man who killed his parents Thomas and Martha.

The said thing about the original Batman comics, the Burton films and future issues run by DC writers who make Batman do those things to sell comics is that none truly understand the character. Brilliant writers like Frank Miller (he used to know how to write Batman, but is horrid now), Paul Dini and Jeph Loeb along with Nolan have brought out the true image of Batman.