Batman

Comments

I didn't think Bruce blew the place up just to avoid killing the prisoner, but because of what Ra's and Ducard had said the 'big' plan was
    I am curious what everone would want to happen for the next batman film
    I was thinking maybe an adaption of the Arkham games could work.

What I do know is that I don't want another origin story. Begins did it perfectly and I don't want another so soon after. I'd like something like Burtons first film, where he's already Batman but there's maybe a quick flashback or something.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The next films/reboots might as well just not release. They will never top Nolan's trilogy.
    The next films/reboots might as well just not release. They will never top Nolan's trilogy.

Never say never.

The thing with batman is that theres 85 years of history to go through, and about 9 different eras and styles, So far we have had three, and in my opinion the best style hasnt been done yet...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Virage wrote:

Never say never.

The thing with batman is that theres 85 years of history to go through, and about 9 different eras and styles, So far we have had three, and in my opinion the best style hasnt been done yet...

I'm being a realist. Nolan is much in the thread of old Hollywood directors that make movies with love, and respected the characters in the scripts instead of today's Hollywood that more than ever cares about money over that respect to the source material. Nolan is a rarity in our time, as he cares for the characters involved and how they are portrayed. As we get more into the future the necessity of money will make studios care less and less about what made this trilogy so good. I'm a realist, and no Batman films will ever touch me on such levels that these have.
    They'll have to find a really good director who cares about the characters if they want to come anywhere near Nolans films.
    Has anyone played the video game Batman Vengeance? It came out around 2003 or so, and was based on the animated series, and more specifically the updated animated series from 1997-1998 where the characters were fitted with new looks. I was playing it today actually, I've had it for quite a few years now, and I must say that it was the best Batman game without a doubt until Rocksteady took over with the Arkham games. I highly recommend it to those who have not played it!
    00Beast wrote:
    Has anyone played the video game Batman Vengeance? It came out around 2003 or so, and was based on the animated series, and more specifically the updated animated series from 1997-1998 where the characters were fitted with new looks. I was playing it today actually, I've had it for quite a few years now, and I must say that it was the best Batman game without a doubt until Rocksteady took over with the Arkham games. I highly recommend it to those who have not played it!

Funnily enough I whipped my Gamecube back out recently and that was one of the games I played. I didn't play long, but enough for the nostalgia to seep back. It is an okay game, especially for its time. I think Batman Begins is far better.
    00Beast wrote:

Funnily enough I whipped my Gamecube back out recently and that was one of the games I played. I didn't play long, but enough for the nostalgia to seep back. It is an okay game, especially for its time. I think Batman Begins is far better.

Like I had said before, I sold Batman Begins shortly after buying it because I wasn't very pleased with it, but I'm looking to buy it again soon hopefully and give it a re-try. Glad to hear you own Batman Vengeance! I love it, there's so many great levels and a nice plot that makes you feel like you're playing the actual animated series, which is always a dream come true for me! I love the use of all the cool gadgets including Batman's many vehicles! The best thing about the game for me though is the hand-to-hand combat, which is absolutely thrilling and is nearly as good as that of the two Arkham games. I also enjoy the fact that you actually get to duke it out with The Joker one-on-one!
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Like I had said before, I sold Batman Begins shortly after buying it because I wasn't very pleased with it, but I'm looking to buy it again soon hopefully and give it a re-try. Glad to hear you own Batman Vengeance! I love it, there's so many great levels and a nice plot that makes you feel like you're playing the actual animated series, which is always a dream come true for me! I love the use of all the cool gadgets including Batman's many vehicles! The best thing about the game for me though is the hand-to-hand combat, which is absolutely thrilling and is nearly as good as that of the two Arkham games. I also enjoy the fact that you actually get to duke it out with The Joker one-on-one!

The combat was okay, but nowhere near that of the Rocksteady games. You couldn't even counter in Vengeance. You could in Batman Begins though, and the game was stealth focused and relied on you using the environment to strike fear in enemies. That is why I like it more.
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

The combat was okay, but nowhere near that of the Rocksteady games. You couldn't even counter in Vengeance. You could in Batman Begins though, and the game was stealth focused and relied on you using the environment to strike fear in enemies. That is why I like it more.

From the very short time frame that I played it, I know where you are coming from. It was basically the forerunner for the Arkham games, the blueprint if you will. I also think that Vengeance helped too as far as the combat and the gadgets, and probably also the cape glide feature.
    @00Beast, it is quite cool that every Batman game seems to take inspiration from the last.
    @00Beast, it is quite cool that every Batman game seems to take inspiration from the last.

If the next Batman game is not developed by Rocksteady and is not an Arkham game, then I wonder just how much they will be allowed to take from Asylum and City without being blatant copies! It's a great thought, because any Batman game that follows will have an incredibly difficult time trying to beat the Arkham games. I don't think it can be done, honestly. I mean look at the Spider-Man games. Nothing has beaten Spider-Man 2 yet, and that was eight years ago!
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:

If the next Batman game is not developed by Rocksteady and is not an Arkham game, then I wonder just how much they will be allowed to take from Asylum and City without being blatant copies! It's a great thought, because any Batman game that follows will have an incredibly difficult time trying to beat the Arkham games. I don't think it can be done, honestly. I mean look at the Spider-Man games. Nothing has beaten Spider-Man 2 yet, and that was eight years ago!

Exactly. I don't know what I will do. Rocksteady may decide to leave working on Batman games, and Nolan has left Batman on film. These were two reasons I have been as happy to be a Batman fan as ever, and when they are gone I don't know what state I will be in. We have the best Batman games ever, and for me the best quality Batman films yet and likely ever. :((
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think Batmans voice actor and the writer of the last two games said that Rocksteady were making a new game. Not sure if it's Arkham or something new.

They should make Batman: Gotham City. Open world with civillians, Batcave, Batmobile, randomly generated crimes/events (ala Red Dead), it'd be awesome.
    I think Batmans voice actor and the writer of the last two games said that Rocksteady were making a new game. Not sure if it's Arkham or something new.

They should make Batman: Gotham City. Open world with civillians, Batcave, Batmobile, randomly generated crimes/events (ala Red Dead), it'd be awesome.

Apparently and to my dismay it is a prequel set around the time Batman and Joker first meet. I agree, it should be full on Gotham City, where Rocksteady pull out all the stops. You can't get much bigger than that in scope for a Batman game.

YES!! I would love to see this. It'd be like Spider-Man 2, only Batman style! Wow, now my excitement level has been peaked just thinking about a possibility like this! I'll tell you what will disappoint me the most is if the next game does not feature Kevin Conroy as Batman. He just IS The Caped Crusader, nothing to doubt about that!
    I think he confirmed that he was doing it, but I'm not sure. Still, I can't see any reason why he wouldn't come back.

Apparently and to my dismay it is a prequel set around the time Batman and Joker first meet. I agree, it should be full on Gotham City, where Rocksteady pull out all the stops. You can't get much bigger than that in scope for a Batman game.

Yeah I heard this true. Still, even if it's a prequel, they could still make it full on Gotham city. It's a pretty stupid idea though since the voice actor for Joker quit. It's like they killed him off, but were scared not to use him. Why not just make Gotham City with a different villian as the main bad guy?
    I think he confirmed that he was doing it, but I'm not sure. Still, I can't see any reason why he wouldn't come back.

Yeah I heard this true. Still, even if it's a prequel, they could still make it full on Gotham city. It's a pretty stupid idea though since the voice actor for Joker quit. It's like they killed him off, but were scared not to use him. Why not just make Gotham City with a different villian as the main bad guy?

Precisely, The Joker does not have to be in every Batman game! This drives me crazy, it's as if the makers are trying to appeal to the casual, everyday fans by including the one villain they actually know about. Why not put The Penguin or The Riddler, or even Two-Face at the forefront this time? Better yet, how about we let Killer Croc or The Scarecrow come back to the scene, or make a debut of an under-used villain like The Mad Hatter or Man-Bat?
    00Beast wrote:

Precisely, The Joker does not have to be in every Batman game! This drives me crazy, it's as if the makers are trying to appeal to the casual, everyday fans by including the one villain they actually know about. Why not put The Penguin or The Riddler, or even Two-Face at the forefront this time? Better yet, how about we let Killer Croc or The Scarecrow come back to the scene, or make a debut of an under-used villain like The Mad Hatter or Man-Bat?

That's not what I am angry about. What ticks me off is them dropping the current arc and doing something else entirely and just leave the story stuck in limbo. By the way, Mad Hatter already debuted. There was a mission where
    you uncover that Hush was behind some killings in the game and once Batman meets him and Hush flees he tells Barbara that he will look into Hush when he gets back to the Batcave. It would be cool to see him in the next game, especially since he has made himself look like Bruce through surgery.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Yeah I know that Mad Hatter already made his appearance, but it was only one tiny little side mission. I think he could work well in a bigger role; a good example of how this might work is the animated series episode "Mad As a Hatter", which gives more insight into the life of Jervis Tech and shows his true insanity for the Lewis Carrol books and for a co-worker of his, Alice, whom he feels cheated him out of a good relationship.
    Fun article comparing Nolans Batman and the Arkham games Batman.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/batman-arkham-asylum-2/1225518p1.html
    Yes, you could have Mad-Hatter kidnapping kids to have tea parties with and Batman must go and rescue them in a crazy Alice in Wonderland designed lair.
    Yes, you could have Mad-Hatter kidnapping kids to have tea parties with and Batman must go and rescue them in a crazy Alice in Wonderland designed lair.

This would be lots of fun! I did enjoy that side mission where you "fight" for control of your mind. That was very well done!

That was pretty BS, especially the detective category. Batman in the Nolan films uses detective work, while the writer refuses to think it exists. And there really isn't much to investigate in the films. You know the villains and what they are doing, but the moments where Batman employs marked bills to the banks and investigates the bullet in the brick in TDK are cool moments, as well as when he is solving Joker's clues.

And Rocksteady Batman wins the fight. EXACTLY! Kevin Conroy as Batman, Paul Dini's story-telling, Mark Hamill as The Joker, real detective work, etc! Take that, Nolan Batman! BAM!
    Yeah, I disagree with the detective and villian parts. Other than that I think I agree with most of it though. Anyway...

• edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've just realised something. The Dark Knight Rises and the remake of Total Recall are out this summer. What movie links these two?

Hahahahahahaha!!!!