Batman

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Englehart/Rogers had a great run.
    You ever come across something you totally don’t need, but at the same time have to have?

29063604_10101646977660741_3748160629995732992_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1e0c53b3e85b439fcef4a93a807f0b52&oe=5B448ABF
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Revelator, not super familiar with Englehart or Rogers' run, but I've added them to the list for future reading. A shame their collected works aren't in print nowadays. Perhaps that's why I've gone ignorant of them!
    Am I the only person who felt Wes Craven could of done a good Batman film adapting the first Clayface story as that has a real scream/Wes cravens new nightmare feeling to it
    @Revelator, not super familiar with Englehart or Rogers' run, but I've added them to the list for future reading. A shame their collected works aren't in print nowadays. Perhaps that's why I've gone ignorant of them!

I think you'll enjoy it. But if those comics seem a bit familiar, it's because later writers and artists have been copying them for years. After O'Neil and Adams had returned Batman to his roots in the early 70s, the character had again fallen into a sort of rut by the end of that decade (the late 70s were not a good time for comics overall). He was rescued by Englehart and Rogers, who set the template for the character until Frank Miller came along in the 80s. I don't know why DC hasn't reprinted their work--perhaps it's too busy flooding the market with endless hard-and-paperbacks of its current comics.
    You ever come across something you totally don’t need, but at the same time have to have?

29063604_10101646977660741_3748160629995732992_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1e0c53b3e85b439fcef4a93a807f0b52&oe=5B448ABF

I bought the long sleeved version of that shirt for myself for Christmas. Of course, it would have been ideal if it was a turtleneck, but beggars can't be choosers.
    05_marshallrogers_batport_plate04_1981_batjoker.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Revelator wrote: »

I think you'll enjoy it. But if those comics seem a bit familiar, it's because later writers and artists have been copying them for years. After O'Neil and Adams had returned Batman to his roots in the early 70s, the character had again fallen into a sort of rut by the end of that decade (the late 70s were not a good time for comics overall). He was rescued by Englehart and Rogers, who set the template for the character until Frank Miller came along in the 80s. I don't know why DC hasn't reprinted their work--perhaps it's too busy flooding the market with endless hard-and-paperbacks of its current comics.
    That does seem to be the way. Important creators brushed under the rug when others (like Miller) overshadow.
    That'd be on my wall. Who's the artist, @Thunderfinger?

That does seem to be the way. Important creators brushed under the rug when others (like Miller) overshadow.
    That'd be on my wall. Who's the artist, @Thunderfinger?

That is Marshall Rogers."THE LAUGHING FISH" from the late 70s.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 3,564
    I suspect the Englehart/Rogers run has escaped republication because the creators involved aren't well known by current fans. If DC thought they could make $$$ from it, they'd print it.

Let's not forget that the first few issues of Englehart's run were illustrated by Walt Simsonson, before Marshal Rogers was assigned the artistic duties on Detective Comics. Not that it would make this series either more or less reprintable, but in order for the storyline to be presented completely, the Simonson issues would need to be included as well.

(And yes, this stuff is nothing short of brilliant. Highly recommended!)
    I suspect the Englehart/Rogers run has escaped republication because the creators involved aren't well known by current fans. If DC thought they could make $$$ from it, they'd print it.

That sounds like the most plausible explanation. I do think it would be nice if DC honored its past by keeping the essential Batman stories in print. But I applaud the company for its Omnibus line, which has been steadily reprinting Batman's Golden Age appearances.
    I'm also glad DC is reprinting Mike Barr's 1980s Batman stories in the upcoming Dark Knight Detective tpb. Barr's work was overshadowed by Frank Miller's Year One, but he did a charming job of modernizing Silver Age Batman for the 80s, and the great Alan Davis did most of the artwork, providing a beautifully sleek Batman.
    Dark Knight Detective collects all of his Detective Comics run except for Year Two, which is fine with me. That story had some daring ideas but they were badly executed. The core elements were recycled to much better use in Mask of the Phantasm.
    Not that it would make this series either more or less reprintable, but in order for the storyline to be presented completely, the Simonson issues would need to be included as well.

That's true--if memory serves, the Simonson issues are included in Strange Apparitions.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Master_Dahark, as a big Batman fan I'm curious... who is your favourite cinematic Batman, and which is your favourite Batmobile? Of late, I'm finding that I like Keaton and Bale almost equally (for different reasons), but after Justice League I really dig the BvS/JL Batmobile a LOT...
    @chrisisall
    It’s a cliché answer but I find something to love in all of them (even Clooney).
    It all depends on what I’m in the mood for. Luckily for me we’ve had a live action Batman reminiscent of each comic style.

In the mood for as realistic as possible? You’ve got Bale. Comic fantasy but for bigger kids? You’ve got Keaton. Dark Knight Returns esque killer Batman? Batfleck (at least in the first movie)

So the real question is: what’s your favorite kind of Batman? Mine is a toss up of Keaton & Affleck. They have my favorite cars too ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall
    It’s a cliché answer but I find something to love in all of them (even Clooney).
    Yeah, the Clooney movie is like 60's Batman with a bit more serious sh*t going on. Arnold is hilarious in it! But that Batmobile is ridiculous IMO.
    Affleck brings weight and humanity to the role, and I love how he loses it for a moment with Wonder Woman and she 'pushes' him back (she could have killed him, heh heh).
    Jim Aparo has always been one of my favourite Batman artists
    batman-brave-and-bold-black-canary-aparo.jpg?itok=jgGtk1x9
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,107

I have a reprint of those comics from 10 years or so ago. Includes the whole story arc with Hugo Strange and Silver St. Cloud and Laughing Fish et al.

SharkBait wrote: »

I have a reprint of those comics from 10 years or so ago. Includes the whole story arc with Hugo Strange and Silver St. Cloud and Laughing Fish et al.

In English or Finnish? I have the whole run in the Norwegian Batman magazines from the late 70s.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,107
    In Finnish.

Not sure if they had been released here before. Might be the case. We didn't have our monthly Batman comics until the 80's, I think.

Of course we haven't had monthly Batman comics since the animated series and it's comic counterpart in the 90's.
    Aparo was one of the greatest 70s & 80s Batman artists. I had the misfortune of first encountering his work in the 90s, when he was in decline and no longer inking himself. But at his prime he was right behind Neal Adams in the 70s, alongside Marshall Rogers.
    As for the most underrated 70s Batman artist, I nominate Frank Robbins, whose inky, Milt Caniff-derived style was very controversial among superhero fans. Here's a page of Batman playing (rigged) Russian Roulette:

img020.jpg
  • Frank Robbins was certainly under-appreciated, probably because his stuff was appearing contemporaneously with Neal Adams -- but his Caniff-inspired style wasn't as modern-seeming as Neal's. Don Newton is another under-appreciated artist of the '70s/'80s, passing away at a very early age. Aparo's stuff is great as well, making the sometimes-wonky Bob Haney scripts on Brave & the Bold consistently appealing.
    I wanted to share a silly thing I made. I thought this would go well with the black & gray Batman I made a few years back. Everyone had those stupid Kenner figures when the 1989 movie came out. Believe me, I had them all!

BatmanTDK.jpg

Back when I was a kid I took one and made it black and gray, and even kept it all these years! I thought: if they can make blue & gray, blue and dark blue, camouflage, and even GOLD, then why the hell didn't they ever make a black & gray one??

bat01.jpg

Today I had the same thought: if they made every ridiculous color variation imaginable, then an NES variant would have fit right in!! NECA made one after all.

This was just a spare Kenner Bats repainted; the only challenging part was making the cape. The logo was printed and glued into place.

Ffcqvdv.jpg

0f21In7.jpg

Just another oddity for my collection! :))
    Oooh, Rainbow Batman :

Rainbow00.jpg

Rainbow01.jpg?w=630&h=804&q=75
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,896
    Excellent paint work Master_Dahark.
    Incidentally, I've always wondered why the Kenner Batman figure matched the '89 movie costume in every detail except for the logo, which in the film had extra spurs flanking the central point.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Excellent paint work Master_Dahark.
    Incidentally, I've always wondered why the Kenner Batman figure matched the '89 movie costume in every detail except for the logo, which in the film had extra spurs flanking the central point.
    Thank you!

That didn’t bug me as much as the Batman Returns figures that came out in 1992, which lazily used the same mold, when he clearly had a very different costume! (God and that pathetic Penguin)

v95Zth9.jpg

Looks just like Danny DeVito.... (eyeroll)

batman-returns---kenner---the-penguin-p-image-350411-grande.jpg
    Any fans of Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean here? I thought it was very fresh, original and groundbreaking when it came out.
    Is that the one with the really insane artwork? That’s one I’ve never gotten the chance to read!
    Is that the one with the really insane artwork? That’s one I’ve never gotten the chance to read!

I suppose you can say that. It s an excellent read.
    e86c9c32e48bb40ac0a6bb2ac85a8e61.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great book by Morrison. I've read it a few times. The crazy artwork enhances the experience.