Batman

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah, a must see for Batman fans.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll have to watch that sometime soon. Kevin's Fatman on Batman interviews with Grant were mind-bending, to say the least.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I'll have to watch that sometime soon. Kevin's Fatman on Batman interviews with Grant were mind-bending, to say the least.

I listened to the podcast interviews with Grant and Kevin from several years ago always a good listen, I'll listen to the above video after work it's a few hours long.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I found this motive on a big metal plate, and just had to buy it and place it on my kitchen wall as a birthday present for myself. It isn t until Monday by the way, so need for congratulations.
    latest?cb=20081218192333
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I found this motive on a big metal plate, and just had to buy it and place it on my kitchen wall as a birthday present for myself. It isn t until Monday by the way, so need for congratulations.
    latest?cb=20081218192333

Nice find! I have a few DC metal signs myself a Batman one and a few Superman. I have the Batman Rogues Gallery sign...

OldRogues.jpg?resize=358%2C538&quality=85&strip=info

There were a lot of Batman, Superman and Star Wars signs in the retro gift shop where I bought it (I was primarily looking for Christmas gifts for a couple of kids whose uncle I am), but I had to settle for the Neal Adams one.

Bought some bath sponges in the likeness of Elvis and Diana Ross for the kids.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,341
    Darth Batman

There were a lot of Batman, Superman and Star Wars signs in the retro gift shop where I bought it (I was primarily looking for Christmas gifts for a couple of kids whose uncle I am), but I had to settle for the Neal Adams one.

Bought some bath sponges in the likeness of Elvis and Diana Ross for the kids.

I buy and sell collectables and antiques, it's fun finding random items.
    Just started watching the BATMAN serial from 1943 with Lewis Wilson, MGWs father.
    batman-1943-serial-movie-poison-peril-poster1.jpg

In tone this is probably most similar to the 60s tv show, but much more entertaining.
    Interesting that Wayne aka Batman isn t located in Gotham in this serial, but in Los Angeles. Having a Japanese arch-villain, trying to implement the "New Order" in America may have been the motivation for locating the story on the West Coast.
    Interesting that Wayne aka Batman isn t located in Gotham in this serial, but in Los Angeles. Having a Japanese arch-villain, trying to implement the "New Order" in America may have been the motivation for locating the story on the West Coast.

That certainly plays into the political climate of the time during WW2

The Jap hood leader Prince Daka has a huge black, sinister Buddha statue in his headquarter.

The Jap hood leader Prince Daka has a huge black, sinister Buddha statue in his headquarter.

I have never seen the serials properly, I have vague memory of watching them when very young though don't remember anything about them. Will have to see if I can buy them
    You can find them on Youtube.

Another interesting thing-there is no Gordon here, just a Captain Arnold who is a completely different type.
    You can find them on Youtube.

Another interesting thing-there is no Gordon here, just a Captain Arnold who is a completely different type.

Really cool I'll have a look
    bish125-480x326.jpg
    Just been thinking about The Killing Joke movie again. It's the most underrated Batman film, with ease, just because of a meh first half hour. It gets so good if you give it time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The issue with the Killing Joke movie is that it took a beautifully drawn and haunting comic and turned it into just another movie off Warner's animation conveyor belt with the same uninspired style of anything they've released recently. No sense of color in the images, obvious moments where the animation is cheaply done for convenience instead of impact...Just dull. And that's not to mention the near offensive first half that does great injustice to both Batman and Barbara's characters and contains a story that is nearly hysterically poor. The Killing Joke also arrived in a post TDK world where the story of Joker battling Batman to their ultimate moment of epiphany was infinitely better realized, making anything the movie would have to say that much more "been there, done that." Its effects wear off when you don't have the entire package in the comic to enjoy alongside the story, and the movie doesn't have a soul.

If WB are going to adapt these stories right they really need to take inspiration from the source and translate the look and feeling of the story faithfully. Look at how their take on The Dark Knight Returns was able to do a fine job of presenting a Milleresque visual experience with all the grit and consequence of the actual text. I want to see them adapt things like The Long Halloween and do an actual R-rated film like TKJ was supposed to be, but I won't hold my breathe. I just don't want them to screw up any other adaptations that could be faithfully done with more time and effort. I don't want to see Tim Sale's art recreated with the same old style most WB animations are put in. They should get creative, really invest in the production and marvel us.
    I love The Killing Joke but didn't have the heart to watch the film after reading the reviews and reactions. Nor did I like the visuals. As Brady notes, the DC animated films have been suffering from cookie-cutter animation and design. With TKJ an attempt was made to get closer to Bolland's art style, but the designs came off as bland. I don't expect the film to exactly capture Bolland's art, but it should have tried harder. And if the budget was the culprit, then the powers-that-be should given the project more money--why do a cheap version of such an important story? Haven't they heard of prestige projects?
    The Killing Joke also arrived in a post TDK world where the story of Joker battling Batman to their ultimate moment of epiphany was infinitely better realized, making anything the movie would have to say that much more "been there, done that."

I might be misunderstanding your comment, but for my money TKJ was a more profound examination of Joker and Batman's dueling philosophies than any Bat-story before or since. The laughing nihilist meets the stoic guardian of the law, and in one brief moment they acknowledge the importance and the absurdity of their struggle.
    If WB are going to adapt these stories right they really need to take inspiration from the source and translate the look and feeling of the story faithfully. Look at how their take on The Dark Knight Returns was able to do a fine job of presenting a Milleresque visual experience with all the grit and consequence of the actual text.

Though even in that case I prefer the animation of the TDK segment in the Batman animated series episode "Legends of the Dark Knight." Perhaps the difference between cell animation and computer-aided animation has something to do with that, but the "Legends" segment was also trues to Miller's angular, flat style. Plus all the recent DC films have a sort of creamy coloring that really puts me off...
    I want to see them adapt things like The Long Halloween and do an actual R-rated film like TKJ was supposed to be, but I won't hold my breath...I don't want to see Tim Sale's art recreated with the same old style most WB animations are put in.

I'm not a fan of Jeph Loeb's writing, but I like Sale's artwork and think it will be much easier to adapt to budget animation than Bolland's.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 28,694
    Revelator wrote: »
    I might be misunderstanding your comment, but for my money TKJ was a more profound examination of Joker and Batman's dueling philosophies than any Bat-story before or since. The laughing nihilist meets the stoic guardian of the law, and in one brief moment they acknowledge the importance and the absurdity of their struggle.
    @Revelator, I wasn't talking of the comic, but of the adaptation of the comic. The book doesn't translate well the way WB did it, as it lacked the soul of the original text. Moore and Bolland's work is that great story you mention, but I didn't feel it worked on the screen and that has everything to do with execution. And that's why I said TDK was better than the film's adaption of Batman and Joker's warring presences, as TDK was executed immaculately with performances and style to back it up. I also view Batman and Joker's last confrontation in it as a paraphrased version of TKJ's "flashlight" moment where you see that Batman and Joker can never cross those divides and share common ground.

TKJ film had a lot of stuff lacking in it that deflated the adaptation it could have been, and that sadly extends to even Hamill and Conroy's voice work. I kid you not, the final scene (yes, that one) is the most undersold and bland thing you could imagine which is a horrible thing to say about some of the coolest pages in comic book history. Hamill and Conroy seem to be bored with the lines as they throw them out, and the animation is the same grey, mucky mess that adapts none of the amazing and captivating colors of the panels as the story comes to a close. I didn't expect a film to nail Bolland's style perfectly, as it would be impossible, but they could have at least used a color palette for the animations that was more than just hues of gray, brown, mud brown and pale green. Utterly disappointing.

The original comic is everything you say it is, but this adaptation is not. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it if you ever see it, but I know that things about it will bug you as they did me. The first half is a joke that deserved all the backlash it got, and the adaptation of the comic's most famous scene is shockingly poor. It has none of the impact, drama or consequence of the source. TDK brought that, in spades.
    Though even in that case I prefer the animation of the TDK segment in the Batman animated series episode "Legends of the Dark Knight." Perhaps the difference between cell animation and computer-aided animation has something to do with that, but the "Legends" segment was also trues to Miller's angular, flat style. Plus all the recent DC films have a sort of creamy coloring that really puts me off...
    @Revelator, I don't entirely disagree, but I still put favor in the film's corner animation wise. I love BTAS as you know, and love that episode, but there is more for me to like in the film than the show's take and I'm sure that has everything to do with budget. The film animation has depth and shadow to it that gives it a great mood, and the team weren't afraid to show the blood and grit of Miller's style while still keeping his blocky and bulky style in faithful check.

That being said, there are things about the show's adaption that I wish were in the film version. For one, parts of that mud pit scene were amazingly well adapted, like that great shot of Batman with mud running down his face as the rain kicks it off him. And the biggie for me: Michael Ironside, the ultimate Miller Batman voice for me. I like Peter Weller, but at times his performance was very lacking for me and his deliveries could undersell themselves. A particular moment that deflates, unfortunately, is when he tells Superman that he's beat him in their final battle. He just doesn't adapt the kind of impact and drama you'd hope at times. Ironside, however, has that same gritty and rough voice, but can also inject some amazing drama and theater into it that Weller couldn't do as consistently. As much as I love the film as it is, I could only love it more if Ironside was put in for Weller. A big missed opportunity for me, and I think I'd even take him over Conroy!

I'm just happy the comic got the adaptation it deserved, and that it was given two parts to really tell its story faithfully. I think it's the best thing WB has done in the most recent animation era of films, as I look back.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,896
    Just got a new-release email from the WB: Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero is coming to to Blu-Ray.

To be frank, this is the only classic DC animated film I've never re-watched, and I thought it suffered from the absence of Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Bruce Timm. It also committed the cardinal sin of
    resurrecting Mr. Freeze's dead wife,
    which prevented the show from adapting the far superior Mr. Freeze story written by Paul Dini for the Batman Adventures Holiday Special comic.
    Just got a new-release email from the WB: Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero is coming to to Blu-Ray.

To be frank, this is the only classic DC animated film I've never re-watched, and I thought it suffered from the absence of Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Bruce Timm. It also committed the cardinal sin of
    resurrecting Mr. Freeze's dead wife,
    which prevented the show from adapting the far superior Mr. Freeze story written by Paul Dini for the Batman Adventures Holiday Special comic.

I have the dvd I'll definitely buy the Bluray, I bought Mask of the Phantasm on Bluray I was happy with the remaster on that movie.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,341

Always thought the Ventriloquist was quite sinister.
    Agree that Hugo Strange is an awesome villain. One of my favourites.
    Awesome to hear that Sub-Zero is headed to blu-ray too. Man, this all was a long time coming. Getting the restored BTAS will be one of my most excitable moments as a consumer.

Agreed about how great Strange is too. The new films would screw him up by giving him to depth or motivation, but I'd have loved to see what someone like Nolan could do with him. I really loved how Paul Dini wrote him in Batman: Arkham City.
    As far as I can tell, in the subuniverse where Batman's true identity is one of the best kept secrets, Strange has come closest to discovering who Batman is. :)
    Who could play Hugo Strange convincingly? Any suggestions?
    Who could play Hugo Strange convincingly? Any suggestions?

Ben Kingsley.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, in the subuniverse where Batman's true identity is one of the best kept secrets, Strange has come closest to discovering who Batman is. :)

@DarthDimi, Superman too, but he cheats, doesn't he? I'm sure Lex is on that list too.

And I can't remember precisely, but didn't Tim Drake become Robin partly because, as a civilian, he investigated Batman and concluded that Bruce Wayne was the likeliest candidate?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,896
    DarthDimi wrote: »

He did more than that in the comics which brought him back from oblivion. I'm referring to the legendary issues of Detective Comics by Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers (#469-476), acclaimed as a near-definitive version of Batman. Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams had returned the character to his roots, but it was Englehart and Rogers who created a fully modern Batman, influencing not only subsequent writers but also Batman: The Animated Series.
    It was Englehart and Rogers who resurrected Hugo Strange, who hadn't appeared since the 1940s, and turned him from a generic scientist into a psycho psychiatrist obsessed with Batman and his secret identity.

The Englehart/Rogers comics were collected in the paperback Batman: Strange Apparitions, which DC has shamefully let go out of print, but it can be easily found in libraries, and the individual issues are easily obtained online through various illicit channels...
    The Englehart/Rogers comics were collected in the paperback Batman: Strange Apparitions, which DC has shamefully let go out of print, but it can be easily found in libraries, and the individual issues are easily obtained online through various illicit channels...

I managed to secure a good copy on eBay several years ago. Both Strange Apparitions and Dark Detective are great books in my opinion! I'm also pleased to see Silver St. Cloud show back up in Kevin Smith's Batman comics.