Batman

Comments

It's hard not to read this in Keaton's screaming voice!

13103392_10100903508468961_8595764350177477754_n.jpg?oh=798acc244d1e432ca96a5e5d7c4b560e&oe=57E85B08
    Good news for anyone who missed it the first time around:
    NECA's 7 inch Keaton Batman has been spotted again at Toys "Я" Us. This is after the very limited release last year and scalpers currently have them on ebay for upwards of $100

Batman-25th-Anniversary-Figure-by-NECA-2.jpg

BTW, has anyone read the new DC Rebirth yet?
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Not yet though I have heard The Watchman have been incorporated into rebirth and
    Doc Manhattan has a pivotal role

Spoilers...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/dc_comics/massive-spoilers-the-origin-of-dc-rebirth-revealed-a141913
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Master_Dahark, we don't need no stinkin' action figures, right? We can play as Keaton Batman and drive Furst's batmobile in Arkham Knight now. >:)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    But action figures are fun!
    pDDcs6Xl.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote: »
    But action figures are fun!
    pDDcs6Xl.jpg

Trust me, I was very much of the action figure crowd, and would even hog the bathroom in my house with my various playsets and figures, all while my parents were crying desperately to relieve themselves. Then video games came along. Now I "play" virtually. Much less fuss, you see. ;)
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,813
    @Murdock you've gotta get yourself a Neca Adam West to go with that sweet set!

NECA-7-Inch-Adam-West-Batman-1.jpg
  • Yes, I've read DC "Rebirth." Each to their own, of course, but I was quite happy with it. Yes, "Watchmen" gets incorporated into the proceedings. Not to give too much away but EVERYthing gets incorporated into the mix, which is just fine with me. If you can accept Batman '66 as well as "The Killing Joke" into Batman canon, then anything should go, right? Each story is just as "real" as the other. I gave up on being a Continuity Cop a long time ago. Just give it all respect & see what kind of story they can come up with next...
    The stuff they're teasing with Joker is just ludicrous, unimaginative and destined to fail, it must be said. Why ruin the best villain they've got by ripping off the veil, and in such a lack luster way? I hope Geoff Johns has an umbrella, because a fan storm is brewing.
    I've been having the ultimate Batman marathon in preparation for The Killing Joke (do not care about Suicide Squad much). I've already watched 10 of the animated films, and I'll keep on watching until I've seen every non-Justice League Batman film (I don't count those; Batman has to be the focus).
  • Geoff Johns is heading over to the DC Cinematic division. No matter how bad you may think things are in the DC Comics Universe, I think we can all agree they're worse in DC Movieville...
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/02/ben-affleck-batman-movie-original-story-comics

Ben Affleck's Batman film will be 'original story' independent of comics...
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/02/ben-affleck-batman-movie-original-story-comics

In other news water is wet.

Risico007 wrote: »

Funny guy

Funny guy

Sorry running on three hours of sleep can make on become kind of a dick was just trying to be comical

Poison Ivy turned 50 in May (the character , not Thurman :P
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,896
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    08 - Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    Just for fun really. It's not all that important.

Though not important to the live action Batman franchise, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is (to me at least) one of the most important Batman films. Why? Because its flashback sequence concludes the saga of Batman and the Joker. It gives something rare in comics and comic-derived media: a genuine sense of an ending. No other representation of Batman concludes the struggle with his arch-nemesis in such a conclusive and harrowing way. It derives additional power from building upon the several years of animation from the same creative team, who broke all the rules they had followed in earlier stories.

ROTJ concludes a story--the story of a relationship--that starts in Mask of the Phantasm, which convincingly tied the Joker's origins to Batman's. The story continues in episodes like "Joker's Favor" and "The Laughing Fish," which give the essence of the Batman/Joker conflict, and further details are added by "The Man Who Killed Batman," which shows the Joker's reaction to Batman's "death," and the first third of "Beware The Creeper," which shows Batman and the Joker reliving the start of their obsessive struggle. A final episode, "Mad Love," prepares the ground for ROTJ by showing the extent of the Joker's cruelty and fleshing out a major player in the final story, Harley Quinn. Together with ROTJ, these episodes/films are really part of a super-story that has no parallel in the comics or in any other movies or cartoons.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with any of the other animated features. I don't think they're quite as good as the ones I listed.

I agree, but with one exception: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. This is one of the best-written DC animated features, and is really a Flash/Batman story. Unlike garbage such Justice League: War, the film combines deeply felt emotion with an apocalyptic storyline; it also features one of the most compelling alternate-world versions of Batman.

Funny guy

Sorry running on three hours of sleep can make on become kind of a dick was just trying to be comical

It's OK mate was on a night shift not slept for 20 hours, no worries.

:)
    @Revelator, if you like Batman: Return of the Joker for its Batman and Joker dynamic and the ground it explores, I think you'd love the Arkham series of Batman games by the developer Rocksteady. They take it to entirely new levels.
    Arkham Asylum is such a fantastic game. I haven't played through the others yet though. I'm really excited to rewatch SubZero and Return of the Joker.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum is such a fantastic game. I haven't played through the others yet though. I'm really excited to rewatch SubZero and Return of the Joker.

@FoxRox, if you ever want the perfect Batman simulator, Arkham Knight is what you need. Absolute perfection, and makes you feel like Batman more than anything else out there.
    @Revelator, if you like Batman: Return of the Joker for its Batman and Joker dynamic and the ground it explores, I think you'd love the Arkham series of Batman games by the developer Rocksteady. They take it to entirely new levels.

I'm not a gamer, but I saw the cut scene for the final appearance of the Joker in one of those games. I can't say I was overly impressed--the cartoons remain better than any other Batman media for me.
    Revelator wrote: »

I'm not a gamer, but I saw the cut scene for the final appearance of the Joker in one of those games. I can't say I was overly impressed--the cartoons remain better than any other Batman media for me.

You're missing out, I must say. What you saw wasn't even the tip of the iceberg.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Batman Arkham video games were created with the participation of people like Paul Dini, Kevin Conroy, Arleen Sorkin, Christopher Drake and Mark Hamill, all of whom have been intimately connected with the Batman universe in some shape or form. The games honour the world, characters and mythos of Batman. Both comic book fans and fans of the Batman (animated) movies will find so much in these games to enjoy, it's almost beyond belief how many gems, easter eggs and iconic elements - yes, iconic elements, like the death of Bruce's parents or Joker's first meeting with Harley - they managed to stuff in it. Furthermore, the physicality of Batman, how the character moves as per our controls, is simply amazing! One feels like Batman. Countless hours of pure Batman fun is what these Arkham games have to offer. I completely agree with @Brady: you are missing out! :)
    I'd definitely recommend Arkham Asylum to any Batman fan who hasn't played it yet. My favorite part is the countless classic villain easter eggs. My bat-thon is starting to get serious tonight as I'll be watching the first live action ones - Batman: The Movie, Batman, and Batman Returns. Already have seen 14 animated ones and Batman v. Superman; still haven't even got around to my favorite of the animated ones yet. I'm watching every one except Justice League and Lego ones.
    @FoxRox, I expect a somewhat-detailed ranking when you're through! ;)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The games honour the world, characters and mythos of Batman. Both comic book fans and fans of the Batman (animated) movies will find so much in these games to enjoy, it's almost beyond belief how many gems, easter eggs and iconic elements - yes, iconic elements, like the death of Bruce's parents or Joker's first meeting with Harley - they managed to stuff in it.

I'm sure they're very good video games that honor their source material, but it doesn't seem like they add enough to it for a non-gamer like myself to make the time/effort commitment to play them.
    As for what I am spending bat-time on, I'm trying to read all of Batman's Golden Age appearances. I have the first 11 volumes of Chronicles reprint series, which I liked for their low cost, but DC, in all its infinite wisdom, decided to drop the series, and I'm not eager to double-dip with the new Golden Age Omnibuses. So I've begun purchasing the Batman/Dark Knight Archives volumes, but even here DC has dropped the ball, by not continuing the series and by inadvertently creating a shortage of later volumes. As a result, you can't find a used copy of Batman Archives Vol. 7 for less than $795.
    @FoxRox, I expect a somewhat-detailed ranking when you're through! ;)

Guess I can do that. Finished up the '89 Batman; I know a lot of people don't like it, but I've always loved it. Lots of fun.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The scenes with Jack Palance really do stand out.
    FoxRox wrote: »

@FoxRox, if you ever want the perfect Batman simulator, Arkham Knight is what you need. Absolute perfection, and makes you feel like Batman more than anything else out there.

The Arkham games are absolutely 'must play'. The latest one especially because you can finally drive the Batmobile, and it has the DLC skin I've been waiting for since the beginning: KEATON. (not to mention Bale & Batfleck and a slew of others)

I literally never play as the default!

nhKuq5z.jpg