Batman

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    My Arkham Knight screenshots are made up of more Catwoman than Harley, @Master_Dahark. The character model is very...captivating, let's just say. God bless that crappy zipper of Selina's... 8->
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Arkham Knight was the first game of the series I played. I loved it, I've played through it 4 times now. I'm really excited to see they're remastering some of the others because apparently I missed out on some great games.
    My Arkham Knight screenshots are made up of more Catwoman than Harley, @Master_Dahark. The character model is very...captivating, let's just say. God bless that crappy zipper of Selina's... 8->
    That pesky zipper always cracked me up. It reminded me of Eva from MGS 3- it clearly zips up all the way (and it would be way stealthier) but she just doesn't!

You know the best thing about that costume? The cosplayers ;)

6d46991c8a6864a0b7f88150cbf0999d.jpg

That pesky zipper always cracked me up. It reminded me of Eva from MGS 3- it clearly zips up all the way (and it would be way stealthier) but she just doesn't!

You know the best thing about that costume? The cosplayers ;)

6d46991c8a6864a0b7f88150cbf0999d.jpg

Tickets for the one-night theatrical release of Batman: The Killing Joke are now on sale. I just snagged myself a ticket.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/batman-the-killing-joke
    Tickets for the one-night theatrical release of Batman: The Killing Joke are now on sale. I just snagged myself a ticket.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/batman-the-killing-joke

Awesome. I'm confident it will be one of the best Batman films ever.
    Ra's al Ghul 45 (Batman #232 , June 1971)
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 12,271
    Well, time to rank up all the Batman movies. Now that I've seen them all, I'm going to rank (by personal preference) all the Batman movies - barring Justice League and Lego features. Here we go:

28. Batman & Robin (1997)
    What can I say that hasn't been said. Awful acting, awful direction, awful writing, annoying puns, etc. etc... Batman & Robin is a complete train wreck of a film. It's painful to sit through and is easily among the worst films I've seen. Infamous among Bat-fans for obvious reasons.
    27. Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (2015)
    A strange, unlikable breed of a Batman film. I just didn't find anything to like really, and it's far too childish.
    26. Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (2015)
    Above Animal Instincts just for being slightly more interesting. Both are absolute skips unless you're a total die-hard, completionist Bat-fan like myself.
    25. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 (2013)
    This one is sure to put me in hot water. I really do not understand the appeal of TDKR Pt. 2; I did not like the characterizations of Batman and Joker, and the Superman sections just felt so unnecessary. Don't care for this film or story; sorry.
    24. Batman Forever (1995)
    Pretty bad movie. Save for maybe 1 or 2 times I laughed, it was a very unfunny movie that pushed way too hard for its comical moments. It really feels like a waste of potential; with better writing, a better story, different direction, and CERTAINLY NOT Joker-esque Two-Face, this could have been something decent. Also, Jim Carrey could have been a good Riddler, but he just Carreys it up too much.
    23. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
    I just don't like it. Most of it was unremarkable and boring for me. Absolutely cannot stand Jessie Eisenburg's Lex Luthor. I will say I actually enjoyed the fight when Batman and Superman finally duel, but that's about it.
    22. Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
    Gotham Knight isn't my cup of tea. I wasn't crazy about the art style or most of the short stories that were told. Only really liked the one with Deadshot.
    21. The Batman vs. Dracula (2005)
    Mixed bag for me. The whole time I was iffy about the mix of Batman and Dracula, and I also didn't really like the voice cast work. That being said, the story was interesting enough to where I wanted to see what would happen next.
    20. Batman: Bad Blood (2016)
    Meh. Disappointing threequel coming off of Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin. Came off as melodramatic too frequently. Good action though. And several scenes in the first half were just fine. Also, points for finally including the Mad Hatter in a Batman film.
    19. Batman: The Movie (1966)
    This movie did make me laugh several times. Of course, I'm not sure how much of that came from intentional humor, but regardless, it was fun at times. Just too repetitive and a little too campy for me.
    18. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)
    An okay little film with Batman and Superman. Don't really have much else to say honestly, good or bad. Just okay.
    17. Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014)
    Though Batman doesn't appear in it much (unfortunately), Assault on Arkham is interesting enough. Decent voice acting and story.
    16. Son of Batman (2014)
    I liked Son of Batman more than I thought I would. It's not top tier Batman, by any means, but it was a decent flick. Interesting story and characters.

Top 15 later...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @FoxRox, interesting thoughts. If you didn't like TDKR Batman, I can only imagine what you thought of Batman v Superman's version. I'm going to watch the Ultimate cut soon, and I'll be sure to post my thoughts, but I don't see much changing there. 30 minutes won't make Batman or Superman better, it just won't.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Well, time to rank up all the Batman movies. Now that I've seen them all, I'm going to rank (by personal preference) all the Batman movies - barring Justice League and Lego features. Here we go:

28. Batman & Robin (1997)
    What can I say that hasn't been said. Awful acting, awful direction, awful writing, annoying puns, etc. etc... Batman & Robin is a complete train wreck of a film. It's painful to sit through and is easily among the worst films I've seen. Infamous among Bat-fans for obvious reasons.
    27. Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts (2015)
    A strange, unlikable breed of a Batman film. I just didn't find anything to like really, and it's far too childish.
    26. Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (2015)
    Above Animal Instincts just for being slightly more interesting. Both are absolute skips unless you're a total die-hard, completionist Bat-fan like myself.
    25. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 (2013)
    This one is sure to put me in hot water. I really do not understand the appeal of TDKR Pt. 2; I did not like the characterizations of Batman and Joker, and the Superman sections just felt so unnecessary. Don't care for this film or story; sorry.
    24. Batman Forever (1995)
    Pretty bad movie. Save for maybe 1 or 2 times I laughed, it was a very unfunny movie that pushed way too hard for its comical moments. It really feels like a waste of potential; with better writing, a better story, different direction, and CERTAINLY NOT Joker-esque Two-Face, this could have been something decent. Also, Jim Carrey could have been a good Riddler, but he just Carreys it up too much.
    23. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
    I just don't like it. Most of it was unremarkable and boring for me. Absolutely cannot stand Jessie Eisenburg's Lex Luthor. I will say I actually enjoyed the fight when Batman and Superman finally duel, but that's about it.
    22. Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
    Gotham Knight isn't my cup of tea. I wasn't crazy about the art style or most of the short stories that were told. Only really liked the one with Deadshot.
    21. The Batman vs. Dracula (2005)
    Mixed bag for me. The whole time I was iffy about the mix of Batman and Dracula, and I also didn't really like the voice cast work. That being said, the story was interesting enough to where I wanted to see what would happen next.
    20. Batman: Bad Blood (2016)
    Meh. Disappointing threequel coming off of Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin. Came off as melodramatic too frequently. Good action though. And several scenes in the first half were just fine. Also, points for finally including the Mad Hatter in a Batman film.
    19. Batman: The Movie (1966)
    This movie did make me laugh several times. Of course, I'm not sure how much of that came from intentional humor, but regardless, it was fun at times. Just too repetitive and a little too campy for me.
    18. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)
    An okay little film with Batman and Superman. Don't really have much else to say honestly, good or bad. Just okay.
    17. Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014)
    Though Batman doesn't appear in it much (unfortunately), Assault on Arkham is interesting enough. Decent voice acting and story.
    16. Son of Batman (2014)
    I liked Son of Batman more than I thought I would. It's not top tier Batman, by any means, but it was a decent flick. Interesting story and characters.

Top 15 later...

Interesting list. Having rewatched a chunk of these in the last six months or so, I'd be tempted to have a go at a list myself. There's a couple I haven't seen (Batman vs Dracula). I share your thoughts on a lot, especially Gotham Knight (good idea, ucomfortably executed) but I did quite like TDKR Part 2.
    15. Batman vs. Robin (2015)
    Again, better than I expected. Good action, interesting story. Still not in top tier territory but it's a decent Batman film. Just a bit too much melodrama.
    14. The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest (1997)
    Nostalgic movie for me. I admit the quality is pretty much just average, but the memories give it a leg up for me. Has some good humor and action. Unremarkable story though.
    13. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)
    Solid Batman/Superman crossover here. I really enjoyed the characters, story, and action in this one. Recommended for anyone wanting some good Batman/Superman action.
    12. Batman: Year One (2011)
    Good Batman origin story. Though I much prefer Begins, Year One is a nice, brisk telling of Batman's beginnings, as well as insight into Gordon's life. Good movie.
    11. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 (2012)
    I prefer this a LOT over the second part. It's an interesting story and an interesting look at an older Batman. I just feel like things got out of hand (too violent, too out-of-whack character moments) in Part 2.
    10. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
    I might be rating this one too high, but either way, I think Mystery of the Batwoman is underrated. It's a solid new BTAS movie, with the right amount of mystery and action. Just hit the spot for me, other than the so-so character designs.
    9. Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero (1998)
    Don't like Barbara Gordon's voice or the awkward use of CGI. Other than that though, it's a great movie. Compelling story, amazing villain (Freeze is my second favorite to the Joker), and lots of great emotion.
    8. Batman Returns (1992)
    Batman Returns is pretty much a love it or hate it film. Luckily for me, I love it. It really depends on if you like Tim Burton's dark style. I love the characters and style of this film. It's not traditional Batman, but it sure is a fun ride if you want something dark and quirky.
    7. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
    I expected to simply like it. I loved it. Return of the Joker is just an excellent film, tying up the Batman-Joker dynamic of the original BTAS as well as extending it to the new Batman. Very dark, disturbing, and action-packed. Great story, great film.
    6. Batman: Under the Red Hood (2010)
    What a story. Under the Red Hood is a real treat, from the emotional storyline to the incredible voice cast. Definitely not just one of the best animated Batman films, but one of the best at all. DiMaggio's Joker is truly great.
    5. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Great conclusion to the great Dark Knight Trilogy. Though it's the least rewatchable of the series, it's still very satisfying, and I'm glad Nolan wrapped up the arc the way he did. My favorite Bane, and some wonderful acting all around.
    4. Batman (1989)
    Call it dated, call it too different from the comics, call it whatever; I still love Batman '89. Keaton is my favorite live-action Batman/Bruce Wayne, and Nicholson's Joker is a delight. Nostalgic, fun movie for me; I'll always like Burton's take on Batman.
    3. Batman Begins (2005)
    Batman Begins is fantastic. I couldn't ask for a better Batman origin film, really. Great acting, great story (maybe the best of any Batman movie), great action, great villains, etc. Just an excellent film; I can appreciate anyone placing it as their favorite Batman film.
    2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
    Maybe the best on-screen depiction of what Batman is all about. It's got a great story and perfect characters, and some absolutely fantastic voice work. Mark Hamill's Joker is just wonderful. It's just excellent, and it deserves to be taken just as seriously as the live-action films.
    1. The Dark Knight (2008)
    I know it's awfully predictable, but what the heck, I love The Dark Knight so much. I know it's not perfect, but I could hardly be more thrilled about a movie. I've watched it countless times. Heath Ledger's Joker is obviously what makes it all work, but the whole epic scope and darkness to it is just awesome.

That's my ranking. I fully expect next month's Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) to break into my Top 5.
    I'm going to watch the Ultimate cut soon, and I'll be sure to post my thoughts, but I don't see much changing there.
    I'm really rooting for you to like this one, Brady!

Great list, @FoxRox. Your top five is solid, and I completely agree, especially on Begins and Mask of the Phantasm. I have had such a great appreciation of Begins over time, and I think it feels the most like a Batman comic (what with the imagery of the Narrows and the great retelling of Bruce's origins) without going too far in its more realistic presentation of the Batman myth. A solid, solid film, and I seldom get a greater rush of blood through my veins than when Bruce escapes his burning mansion and races to the rail to stop Ra's and rescue a fear-stricken Gotham. The imagery, the score, it's all just pitch perfect.

Mask of the Phantasm is super special. A really strong origin story for the best Batman adaptation I think we'll ever see, in Kevin Conroy's handling of the character. So many powerful moments in that film, the biggie being when a love struck Bruce breaks down at his parents' graves and tearfully says, "I didn't count on being happy," emphatically apologizing to his mother and father for wanting to move on from his vow. So heartbreaking.
    UG8RhXY.gif

MOTP still ranks at number 1 for me.

Great list, @FoxRox. Your top five is solid, and I completely agree, especially on Begins and Mask of the Phantasm. I have had such a great appreciation of Begins over time, and I think it feels the most like a Batman comic (what with the imagery of the Narrows and the great retelling of Bruce's origins) without going too far in its more realistic presentation of the Batman myth. A solid, solid film, and I seldom get a greater rush of blood through my veins than when Bruce escapes his burning mansion and races to the rail to stop Ra's and rescue a fear-stricken Gotham. The imagery, the score, it's all just pitch perfect.

Mask of the Phantasm is super special. A really strong origin story for the best Batman adaptation I think we'll ever see, in Kevin Conroy's handling of the character. So many powerful moments in that film, the biggie being when a love struck Bruce breaks down at his parents' graves and tearfully says, "I didn't count on being happy," emphatically apologizing to his mother and father for wanting to move on from his vow. So heartbreaking.

Totally agree on all that. Phantasm's origin story is really as good as Begins. But since Begins is 100% origin I gave it the nod. That scene in Phantasm is definitely a standout. So good.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Yep - I like your top three here. That said I prefer the darker more gothic Batman Returns (which is has the most striking visuals out of all the Batman films) to Batman 89.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Batman Returns feels like an opera. I mean in a good way.

This is badass!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One of my favourite sequences.
    In context it works some complaints about Batman killing, though the stakes are high in that sequence.

One of my favourite moments of Bat and Sup.
    I'm incredibly disappointed that the Blu-Ray won’t be switching aspect ratios during those IMAX scenes.
    I'm incredibly disappointed that the Blu-Ray won’t be switching aspect ratios during those IMAX scenes.

Me too the IMAX sequences on TDK and TDKR are some of the most amazing sequences ever shot, still hoping the IMAX sequences in Ghost Protocol will see the light of day.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I can't see the point of not highlighting the Imax sequences, :(
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,271
    Is anyone else going to the theater Monday or Tuesday to see Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)? I am, and my hype is off the charts. Already have it pre-ordered on Blu-Ray/DVD as well.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,271
    New ranking with The Killing Joke added:

29. Batman & Robin
    28. Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
    27. Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
    26. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
    25. Batman Forever
    24. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
    23. Batman: Gotham Knight
    22. The Batman vs. Dracula
    21. Batman: Bad Blood
    20. Batman: The Movie
    19. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    18. Batman: Assault on Arkham
    17. Son of Batman
    16. Batman vs. Robin
    15. The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest
    14. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    13. Batman: Year One
    12. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
    11. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman

Clear-Cut Top 10, ahead of the others for me:
    10. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
    9. Batman Returns
    8. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    7. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    6. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman
    4. Batman: The Killing Joke
    3. Batman Begins
    2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    1. The Dark Knight

Yeah. Loved The Killing Joke movie.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched The Killing Joke, and liked it a lot. Then again I'm no expert on the graphic
    novels or animated series.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Batman: The Killing Joke Review

All right, folks, I saw it.

As a prelude to this, I will say that the backlash this film has gotten has been strange, undeserved and quite pathetic to me, having now seen what people were fussing about. Some people are upset about
    Batman and Batgirl having a relationship
    , forgetting that it's already been done by the very same team who made this movie long before, while others want to make this film seem like an anti-woman misogynistic message about how women need men to solve all their problems while they lay down helpless in the face of them, forgetting that the whole story is partly about how Barbara doesn't let her disability stop her from helping the people that need her.

This kind of criticism, in my opinion, is hogwash. Anyone trying to make this movie seem like it's pushing an agenda equating to anti-women is quite clearly just looking for any way to complain and push their own message, any way they can manage it. Many other viewers think the movie is too dark, which is also amusing to me, because this movie could have really done the comic justice and truly "gone there," earning that hard R, which would have made this film look like a pillow fight. Instead, the only reason this really is an R rating isn't because it explores the dark origins of Joker or the trauma Barbara faces; it features actors using a few swear words, has some people getting shot and bleeding, and that's about the extent of it. As @Master_Dahark said in his spot-on review, there's nothing that really makes this feel R-rated, and that's a shame as DC could've used that license to give us an unflinching adaptation here.

Getting into the review in earnest now, this movie is by no means a pile of garbage. The issue, or point of disappointment is that it just isn't anything special, which is a shame given the story it is supposed to be adapting. The Batgirl prologue is simply abysmal in how utterly boring and unimportant it is to anything. Things happen for 30 minutes that have no bearing on the rest of the movie, and eyes begin to tire long before the story we all came to see actually begins. The prologue is really just 30 minutes of Barbara acting kind of foolish and annoying, on top of being dismissive of Batman's efforts to help her. During the entire prologue I was wondering, "How does Barbara sitting in a library whining about men and some greasy haired douche bag criminal have any connection to a story about how Joker reveals his life philosophies to Gordon in an attempt to break him?" The question is, none of it has any connection, and that's precisely why it falls so flat.

And of course, there's that
    sex scene.
    How this was the big moment of controversy in a film where Gordon is dragged nude on a trauma induced roller coaster, and where Barbara is shot, crippled and possibly raped, I have no idea. Some people really need to get over it;
    Batman and Barbara were canonically romantically involved in Batman: The Animated Series, led by Bruce Timm, who infuses that same subplot here. The big issue is that it is slightly creepy, it is slightly weird to see Batman act like he only does in slash fiction, and it's much easier to swallow (bad choice of words) this scenario when it's told to us instead of shown, as it was addressed in the animated run (in a simple monologue by Barbara in Batman Beyond).
    That being said, the moment is over fast like it never happened, and the film never really dwells on it for long, so much so that it makes you wonder why they bothered with this prologue at all. The first half of the film that spans this period plays like one of the worst episodes of the animated series, and doesn't have any kind of impact as entertainment or as anything that draws you in. It's just "there."

When the movie finally gets to telling the story it should have devoted itself to from jump, however, things do get better, but at this point, pacing is out the window and it feels so jarring and disjointed to experience what feels like a completely different movie. It's great to hear the original Batman: The Animated Series crew doing their famed voices for these characters again, but not even they can save what is a very average presentation. The animation style is like all these WB animated films, except less spectacular, less interestingly animated, colored and composed, and not really reminiscent of Bolland's style, though to be fair, his hyper detailed art is hard to replicate economically. The moments where this film shines are when Hamill gets to read those now famous Joker monologues from the comic as he begs Batman to see the world for the giant punchline he does. The comic gives us a clever insight into Joker and how he views the world and his place in it, and so does the film, though, as many reviewers have already pointed out, we've seen this kind of story told before, and much better with a far greater impact.

A review by a woman named Jamie Righetti from FilmSchoolRejects that I read before posting my own made this argument for me:

Moore’s idea of one bad day pushing a good man over the edge is a strong one, but it’s told to greater effect in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight (2008). Heath Ledger’s pockmarked Joker who lies about his Glasgow grin and who just wants to watch the world burn feels a lot scarier than a failed standup comedian. And the final tense sequence in The Dark Knight, where stranded citizens refuse to blow up a boat full of criminals, is a lot more effective than Commissioner Gordon asking Batman to take The Joker in “by the book.”

And that's really it, folks. The film is just okay, and contains content told better in stories you've seen brought to life before. In many ways, the final joke that Joker tells to Batman has a weird parallel to where I stand on this film. The movie is the second inmate in the joke, who has successfully jumped from the asylum roof to freedom. He's egging for me to join him, to take the leap and join him, but like the first inmate, I just don't trust him, and stay planted where I'm at. And that's what this film is: it's made by a lot of talented people who had a vision they wanted everyone to get on board with. The shame of it is that in its presentation and pacing, that vision got muddled and lost, and most unfortunately, it all came to pass on what is one of Joker's greatest stories. The result is that many are staying planted on the other rooftop with me, unable to take the leap and join this movie's side.

There were so many times where I was wondering why what I was seeing was what I was seeing as I sat and viewed this film. Between the time wasted on Barbara and that kooky sub-story, the sections featuring a throwaway plot by the Paris character and everything else that took time away from Joker, you really begin to wonder why it's all there to begin with, and who made the final storyboard decisions. There's even a head-shaking, perplexing moment where
    Batman kills during a scene that didn't even need to be in the movie, and not only does he have no reaction to it, the film pretends it doesn't happen and simply continues on regardless.

How Could it Have Been Fixed?

It would have been nice to see the prologue axed, and instead have the 30 minutes that were wasted on telling a mediocre Batgirl/Batman story spent more on the Joker and his past/s as he takes viewers, Gordon and Batman down his own particular memory lane as we all get a window into how he views existence. After all, Joker's parts are why we all love that comic, and that's why it's so famous. Not so much for Batman, or Gordon, and not even Barbara. It's Joker's show, and it should always be Joker's show, as he makes the book the masterpiece it is. With Hamill back in the recording booth as his greatest one-man act, it should have been obvious that the story needed to be Jokers most prominently. Instead, the spotlight is stolen from Joker by characters who really have no business getting that much screen time allotted to them in the feature, and the momentum created by the opportunity of having the best Joker featured in an adaptation of one of the best Joker stories is stalled time and time again, and never gets the respect or time it deserves because of these other conflicting elements. There was a great opportunity here to expand on Joker's origins and spend time in his life pre-change with his wife, getting to know who they were before tragedy befell them to really ground the story and give it impact beyond what even the comic dared. Instead, this is largely passed over for lesser content, as detailed above.

I know some were looking forward to this, and I'm sorry to report the news of this film's rather forgettable nature, at least from my standpoint. I'm already forgetting it as we speak, actually. It's a shame when expectations are popped like a pin to a balloon like this for so many, and this is a situation where nobody has the last laugh. Not Joker, not Batman, and most certainly not me.
    Can't say I agree with Jamie Righetti. Moore's idea of one bad day pushing a good man over the edge was not told to greater effect in The Dark Knight. Nolan's film actually denies the idea by making the Joker "a force of nature" with no real origin, someone who has always existed in order to commit gratuitous evil. That's hardly any more realistic than the "one bad day origin". Moore's vision was scarier because it showed someone helplessly turn from a very sympathetic, realistic man into an utter monster (something which does happen in real life, especially in wartime). And Moore also complicated this by showing that "one bad day" cannot ultimately explain the Joker, since both Batman and Gordon rose above their bad days.

Righetti is similarly off-base in saying the boat sequence of TDK is more effective than Gordon's asking Batman to take in the Joker “by the book.” Gordon's request is not a selfless gesture of moral superiority. He makes it after suffering unspeakably at the hands of a man from whom he could understandably demand brutal revenge. In other words, Gordon's decision is one that rises above personal pain and trauma, unlike that of the people on the boat. After all the Joker has done to him, Gordon still insists on the law and justice, not revenge. Nolan's boat scene by contrast comes off as an academic philosophy lesson.

As for the animated Killing Joke, the reviews paint a picture of a very disappointing adaptation, so I will probably skip it. Adding a prologue seems to have only accentuated what made many people uncomfortable with the source material. Timm and company should not have added to the material, even if it would have been less than hour. They shoiuld have just stuck with a small but perfectly structured story. A super-close adaptation of a comic doesn't have to be routine if the visuals--the blocking, compositions, "camera movement, lightning, animated acting, etc--have been carefully reworked to deepen the emotions and ideas carried by the dialogue and plot. And if the story had to be expanded, that could happen by elaborating on the existing events, instead of crafting an entirely new prologue only tenuously related to the original. Timm's heart never seemed to be in this project, and I'd sad to see him produce what seems to be a substandard film.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    New ranking with The Killing Joke added:

29. Batman & Robin
    28. Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts
    27. Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem
    26. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
    25. Batman Forever
    24. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
    23. Batman: Gotham Knight
    22. The Batman vs. Dracula
    21. Batman: Bad Blood
    20. Batman: The Movie
    19. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    18. Batman: Assault on Arkham
    17. Son of Batman
    16. Batman vs. Robin
    15. The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest
    14. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    13. Batman: Year One
    12. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
    11. Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman

Clear-Cut Top 10, ahead of the others for me:
    10. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
    9. Batman Returns
    8. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    7. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    6. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman
    4. Batman: The Killing Joke
    3. Batman Begins
    2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    1. The Dark Knight

Yeah. Loved The Killing Joke movie.

Wow number 4 that's high praise, looking forward to seeing it you seem a hard-core fan of Batman, Begins and Phantasm are in my top two.