Batman

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, you're very right sir, they should! :-)

We might have been spared this:

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F65%2F72%2Fa72c48964c40938ec258d9ebbab5%2Fgeorge-clooney-batman.jpg
    Lol yeah everyone would be like 'What the-- CLOONEY?!? NO!!'
    I thought I'd share this. I'm not anti Benman; I just thought this was funny. :-)

35neb.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2015 Posts: 45,489
    I recently read a collection of Batman stories from 1969-1971 drawn by Neal Adams, probably the most influential super hero artist of all time.

I noticed that the moon is always full. Adams is not alone, though. The Phantom stories drawn by Sy Barry were the same, and probably countless others.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I thought I'd share this. I'm not anti Benman; I just thought this was funny. :-)

35neb.jpg

=)) Well that is priceless!

I'm deciding over Benman when I have seen it, but he already has ruined one of my favourite comic heroes Daredevil for which I will not forgive him.
    And thank God and eternal gratefulness to Netflix for doing the fantastic Daredevil TV Show!

I never found Affleck to be anything special, he certainly did earn his Oscars for Good Will Hunting and Argo though!
    Something I though about just recently.

In Arkham City, Joker hides in a steel mill and is voiced by the great Mark Hamill. Now then:

M ARK HAM ILL
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now that's a killing joke. ;)
    Just heard that Yvonne Craig (Barbara Gordon / Batgirl in the Adam West series) has passed away at the age of 78 this monday.

jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-341570-deces-d-yvonne-craig-celebre-batgirl-dans-la-serie-batman-a-l-age-de-78-ans.html
    I feel I want to have a bit of a rant on Batman in comics.. Now for those that aren't aware DC decided to do something bold with each of their properties including new costumes and new stories based on these bold ideas (Everyone knows who superman is Green Lantern I believe in on the run from the law etc) and whil these are gimics and the status quo will be set back more then likely this summer what they did with batman annoys me.

Now let's talk about what they did. Bruce Wayne was killed but some sort of weird chemical substance brought him back to life with no memories and really no abilities to fight crime so who is Batman now James Gordon utilizing not one but two bat suits (the robo bat suit and a sleaker more traditional bat suit with some kind of batarang gun)

My issue with this is not that Jim Gordon is Batman I actually like the idea and think if done right could be really interesting. As for both suits I like them the RoboBat took some getting used to I grant you but honestly it's kind of a cool redesign.

No my issue with this is the writing is lazy bad and kind of annoying.

Ok Lets talk about each of the 5 issues I have read Batman 41-43 and the two Detective Comic issues (I am unsure of the numbers and I am doing this without them in front of me)

Batman 41:
    First and fore most it annoys me that Powers tech are the ones who are building the suit and how because Bruce might or might not be dead they I believe own a part of wayne industries. Look if your gonna rework elements of the batman mythos for your story why borrow from Batman Beyond? This could of been a much more interesting story straight off the bat if Luscious Fox came to Gordon and the two of them worked together. Plus again Gordon is becoming batman not because he fought beside his friend and feels he should honor him by taking up the mantle it's because he doesn't want any other police officer to get hurt while being Batman. So right off the bat I am annoyed at the motivation for why he picked up the mantle and how he became Batman. On the Plus Side we Get Julia Pennyworth (Alfred's daughter? Niece? Former roommate? I don't know) Who has a brilliant conversation with Jim in Batman 43. But I am getting ahead of myself. there is some nice humor about the suit and a decent fight scene between Batman and some random electrical blob thing and Jim figure out what is behind it and does a good job stopping it. Not horrible but not amazing either for an intro issue. and of course much like the last time this happened Jim is in a penthouse over looking the city exactly like Dick when he became Batman but I digress.

Batman 42:
    Once again we get some kind of meta conversation on how only Bruce can be batman as to kids compare action figures one based on Bruce's batman and one based on Jim Gordon's Batman which right of the bat annoys me but fine whatever. Jim is upset he doesn't have a Batmobile and is trying to throw batarangs like batman. Julia shows Jim his new Batmobile Enter THE BAT TRUCK... yeah I know I face palmed when I read it too. Again why not give Jim a traditional Batmobile (since he has a more traditional costume) anyways we get some random villain (again why not let Jim take on ANY of Bruce's rogues or at the very least develop some of these new ones they are just random people with similar powers and are evil) anyways Brick guy (I am sure he has a name but I am going to call him brick guy) create a brick batman and the two fight Jim winds up being force underwater of course Jim uses the Bat-truck to stop the bad guy (totaling the truck in the process) Brick guy is killed mysteriously Jim is starting to realize Batman can't be a state sponsored vigilante after Commissioner Maggie Sawyer says "don't investigate this crime." and the issue ends with Jim confronting Bruce Wayne (oh yeah he is alive) saying how he is Batman now.

Batman 43
    After essentially a useless conversation between Jim and Bruce which I can wrap up in three sentences

Jim " I know you were batman you should be batman again"
    Bruce "I lost all my memories due to some sci fi garbage liquid that is the exact same thing as the Lazarus pits but for some unknown reason Snyder didn't use that so you have to be batman"
    Jim "So I am batman now"

there DONE not 3 pages of worthless conversations.. anyways Jim talks to Julia and we have a great conversation of how Bruce never cared what Batman stood for he just did what he did and tried to do the right thing. I mean it's actually a nice moment and then we get another nice moment of Jim In the more traditional Batsuit sneaking around talking to Julia the two of them have sort of a Terry/Max thing anyways after a cool shoot out and funny line from Jim as batman Jim gets trapped in a furnace and an unseen person knocks Julia out.

But the issue doesn't end there we need more Bruce and Julia Madison time because I have no idea nor do I care. Someone steels the seed from Bruce And we get a somewhat creepy scene with our new villain Mr Bloom and he is creepy inspite of the fact his name is horrible.

So that is the first 3 Batman issues with Jim and annoyingly Batman 44 I think is a Bruce as batman story discussing Mr Bloom's origins. (we aren't even 3 issues in an already Bruce has to be batman WHY)

I will discuss Detective comics in more detail later but I just don't get it why can't we have good Jim Gordon as Batman storylines?

What??? So glad I never read this crap.
    I heard bits and pieces about the recent Bat-shenanigans. So.... Gordon is Batman? Is he, like in the Batsuit?? Did he at least shave? :P
    I didn't know Gordon WAS Batman now- I thought I heard somewhere that with Bruce dead, Gordon trains the police be be like Batman.
    The last Batman comic I bought was the trade paperback for Zero Year (not bad)

Comics today sound really screwed up...
    Oh Gordon is shave muscle bound doesn't smoke and had lasik so no more glasses either again Jim as batman isn't the issue it's the poor writing
    Sadly about everything that is around since decades gets turned upside down completely sooner or later.
    I'm a big DC Comics fan but sometimes they really go too far.
    It's actually quite similar with the Bond franchise.
    Unnecessary reboot nonsense, done unconvincingly, turn characters upside down like Moneypenny or Q.
    At least, Q or M don't turn into 00 agents yet. But you never know...
    screen%20shot%202015-06-10%20at%2012.27.01%20pm.png

Is this him? I was only familiar with the robo one because it was right there on the cover.
    Don't worry, it's only temporary, like Azrael as Batman, or Dick Grayson as Batman. I give it one year, tops, and Bruce Wayne will be back in the Bat-Suit before you know it. Things never change for very long in super-hero comics.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For Halloween I watched my new Blu Rays of Batman & Batman Returns. Both looked lovely, but man-O-man did Batman Returns look simply astounding! If you don't have the BD's yet, by all means get them!
    Wow Keaton in a third film would of been good

Personally if I were to rewrite batman movie history it would go like this
    Burton Era

1989 batman (largely the same film we got)

1992 Batman returns (here is where things go drastically different)
    The cast is largely the same except for two Christopher Walken is cast as Sal Maroni and Billy Dee Williams is brought back as dent the film is described as the godfather with batman the film is a mayoral race between the corrupt Oswald "penguin" Cobbelpot (the nickname is given to him by dent in a smear campaign) the plot is a war for Gotham essentially with dent trying to be a decent man in indecent times and penguin and Maroni trying everything the can to destroy him. In a failed assassination attempt toward the end of the film dent face is scared in half and he realizes he can't beat the mob so he figure he will be the best mobster ever. The film end with Selina Kyle walking out of the bat cave saying she is leaving Gotham for a better life and Bruce wondering if he should continue

1995 Batman Forever Largely the same film we got but with a dark tone and Billy De Williams as two face and Keaton as Batman

Burton leaves

David Fincher Era

1998 Batman & robin a much darker film with Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze no Bane and just an all around better film and ZERO ICE PUNS Keaton leaves after this film. There would also be No Poison Ivy in this film As she would be utilized in Unchained

2000 Batman Unchained The first of 2 Batman films starring Val Kilmer. Drastically different here then the script that was going around. the Main villains of this film are Harley Quinn (Bridget Murphey) and Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman Yes I know but here me out with a better director) as I just feel these two would work better together. Basically Harley is out for revenge due to Joker's Death and Poison Ivy's motives are the same as Batman and Robin. There plan is basically to cause batman and robin to fight and kill each other Allowing gotham to be theirs for the taking.

2003 Gotham Dick leaves and Bruce Takes on Mad Hatter (Robin Williams) and Man Bat (Jeff Goldblum). The Film ends with Bruce Retiring and Dick in a Batman Beyond Styled suit fighting a group of thugs.

Fincher leaves

Chris Nolan Era

2005 Batman Begins Exact same film we got

2008 the Dark Knight Exact same film we got except Dent's murder's are put on Joker not Batman.

2012 the dark knight rises a different film entirely Blake is gone, Alfred doesn't leave Bruce. Also Talia is gone.

That is how I would of done the Batman films.
    That sounds pretty good!!!
    Alas...
    I demand George Clooney back [-(

and Justin Bieber as Robin! <:-P
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,691
    Shirley you jest.

Hey guys- which Keaton Batfilm do you like better? I was always on the fence until I watched 'em on Blu Ray, and I have to say Returns right now simply for the ultra-lush look of the film! It really blew me away.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I've always preferred Returns. It's darker, more character driven. Not as grand a spectacle as Batman, but I think it's more thematically impressive and therefore more contemporary (and more like how films are made today, including the Nolan Batfilms and the Craig Bonds). For me anyway. Ahead of its time.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I'm as big a Trekkie and Batman/Justice League fan as I am a Bond fan.

Batman was one of those life-changing experiences for me. I was only 15 in 1989 and the movie just left me breathless of excitement. Having read Batman comics since I was able to read seeing it become flesh and blood on screen was a feeling I can't describe with words.

Objectively I can see that Returns was probably even better than Batman, but for me Batman will always rank a bit higher than Returns.
    I do have to mention though, that Michelle Pfeiffer made me dizzy in her catsuit, her "Meow!" gave me boners :))

Edit: And of course Prince's fantastic soundtrack helped a lot to make this one a true classic!
    Look, some of the best Batman movies are animated. Year One, Mask Of The Phantasm, The Dark Knight Returns and soon, hopefully, The Killing Joke. That's where the gold is, people.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Look, some of the best Batman movies are animated. Year One, Mask Of The Phantasm, The Dark Knight Returns and soon, hopefully, The Killing Joke. That's where the gold is, people.

True. I own them all on Blu-ray, the Justice League and Superman/Batman animated movies are great!

I must have seen Mask Of The Phantasm like 30 times, I even have that one on LaserDisc!

Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker is one of my favourites.
  • Batman & Batman Returns are great, great movies- I make a point to always watch BR near Christmas.
    I love that cat he finds at the end- I have one just like it! :))

12528206729594.jpg

Batman Forever, I remember liking as a kid-- and that's just it. It was totally made for kids. Now that I'm older I understand how stupid it was. lol Actually, even as a kid, I liked how adult the first two movies were- it made them cooler!

If you like Animated Batman, head on out to your local comic store and if you're lucky you might find this guy!
    Now THIS is the real Animated Batman I've been waiting for, not that other one who looks like he was drawn with a ruler! (released last year)

FullSizeRender%202_zpsvbhbumjo.jpg
    FullSizeRender%201_zpsasnknt90.jpg

Good lord, now I have to get Robin and that epic Batmobile too! What have I gotten myself into??

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DC0271#.VjlQWrerQdU
    The wonderful toys... B-)
    Here a snippet of my vast DC Collection (not that DC) :))

full.jpg

full.jpg
  • Never underestimate a backwoods comic store that looks like Leatherface lives in the basement of.
    I was out of town on business and stopped in to kill time. I found this for $29.99!

FullSizeRender_zpsaf0wiunw.jpg
    FullSizeRender%201_zpsdfpmk3bb.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I read about those figures a while ago @Master_Dahark; how cool! I'd love to see Frank Miller, Bob Kane, Tim Sale, Bruce Timm, David Finch, Greg Capullo and Neil Adams versions.