Batman

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 1,107
    How Tim Burton's BATMAN RETURNS Upset McDonalds
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=112747

I just watch both Burton movies the other night. I don't give two *****, or a [frick], what other people think, I still love them.

Matthew Vaughn Thinks People Have "Had Enough" Of Christopher Nolan's Dark Superhero Style
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=113121

Check Out The Costume Michael Keaton Would Have Worn For BATMAN 3
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=112772

Mod edit: triple post merged and s-bomb deleted.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    Matthew Vaughn Thinks People Have "Had Enough" Of Christopher Nolan's Dark Superhero Style

I sure have.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,551
    @Dalton12, please avoid triple posting and s-bombs. :-) Thank you!

Concerning Vaughn's comment; who am I to argue with this man but I think he's wrong. Nolan made three darker films against an entire slew of pretty light-hearted movies, some of which actually set in the DC universe!

Superman Returns, not exactly a "dark" movie, came out a year after BB. Green Lantern (dis)graced the screen one year before TDKR. Marvel delivered Fantastic Four and Electra (and Man-Thing - yikes!) in the year of BB, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk (and Punisher: War-Zone) in the year of TDK, The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man (and Ghost-Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance) in the year of TDKR. Not to mention all the films we got in between.

Ergo, Nolan's films are pretty overshadowed by not so dark superhero projects.

If the public is tired of that type of superhero, well there's a pretty big list of films to choose from if a lighter tone is what the public wants. I'd be somewhat surprised if three films in such a big output tire people down. Then again, maybe they're tired of the darker Batman.

In that case, let me remind people that the only good Batman so far has been a darker Batman, including the first two Burton films which, by the standards of their times, were pretty dark. Maybe the new Affleck Batman will prove less dark... Either way, unless they want to go back to Batman '66, Bruce Wayne will never be Tony Stark, Batman will never be Johnny Storm and Gotham will never see much sunshine. Still, some of the animated projects have featured a less dark Batman...

Let's see about some of the critically acclaimed Batman comics / graphic novels: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, Hush, Knightfall... All of these are pretty dark, dramatic and in some cases just depressing. Batman himself is a pretty tragic character. Any attempts to the contrary are usually met with scepticism and harsh comments. Batman is one of the few superhero's who himself is just a man of flesh and blood with no supernatural abilities. The strength of the character exists in the darker edges of his story. We lose that, I'm afraid we lose the better part of the Batman universe too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Dalton12 wrote: »

I sure have.
    Me too.
    I remember back in '89 all the fuss over Batman being this dark, violent nasty movie. I just flat out loved it. Caesar Romero even took pot shots at it saying his Joker was still the best.
    :P
    Romero, God bless him, wasn't entirely absent from Batman 89. I too used to think that Burton's Batman was the antithesis to the 60s Adam West series but since then I have come to realise that - in fact - Nicholson's Joker isn't too dissimilar from Romero's. Let's forget for a moment that the 89 Joker was a killer, something the television series from the 60s obviously couldn't show. Examine his moves, his temperament. Then watch the 66 Batman movie. Don't worry, you won't be wasting your time since Lee Meriwether is a stunner in the Catwoman outfit. ;-) Anyway, you may notice that Romero's crazy laughter and Nicholson's almost match. Ledger's Joker, by contrast, is a complete re-invention of the character.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ledger's Joker, by contrast, is a complete re-invention of the character.
    Yeah, Brandon Lee's Crow, in colour. ;)
    @chrisisall, there's even a real-life connection. :(
    :D :D

10923334_856316491086022_7101928606459596769_n.jpg?oh=66aa663bc6f64d56abdda01dfb19ea3a&oe=552B7971
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,081
    I don't like dark for the sake of dark, but if it's appropriate and well done then yes, please. I don't see darkness the same as depressing at all, and I know some people do. I know people who feel Batman has been ruined, and Bond has been ruined, etc., with too much "darkness" and "realism" and they don't enjoy them anymore... while I enjoy them more.

I saw a lot of humor in Nolans films (well, at least in the first two, much less so in the third) - I mean they actually made me laugh quite a bit. I just watched the 2 Burton films last night and I don't think I laughed once. They are dark, too, just in a different way, but to me not funny. I'm not saying there's no humor, but it just doesn't make me laugh. I smiled a couple of times, though, so that's something. It's obviously a matter of opinion, people laugh at different things. For instance, to me Ledger's Joker was funny, and Nicholson's was not.

Anyway, I think darkness itself isn't a problem, and it suits Batman and Gotham and its other characters. That doesn't mean it would work with any superheroes. I do like to see humor with the darkness, though, works much better that way, the two enhance each other. I'm sure there's room for different kinds of approaches in general.

I agree with @DarthDimi, I think Vaughn is wrong. Though I must say that a couple of sentences out of a larger context (of what was asked and what else was said) often doesn't fully reflect a person's opinion, anyway (and sometimes even seriously distorts what they were really saying... I've seen that happen often enough), so I might agree with Vaughn more if I knew that bigger picture. But "people" is a very vague generalization, there are always different tastes and opinions, and even when it comes to predicting a huge box office success, well... predictions can go wrong, and what works for one movie may not work for another, and picking a style/approach because it was successful in something else is hardly a good idea. Better make what suits each project and do it well, and maybe even have something original in there. Dark/light/in between. People want to see good films - and what is good for each person varies. So... ;)

Dark is fine, gritty is problematic.
    For Keaton fans :
    Michael Keaton In Talks To Join KONG: SKULL ISLAND
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=113285
    Michael Keaton Wins Best Actor In A Comedy/Musical For BIRDMAN
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=113468
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,107
    Great ! I was hoping they do The Court of Owls ! :D

'The Court Of Owls' Strike In First Trailer For BATMAN VS. ROBIN
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113759
    THE DARK KNIGHT: Remembering Heath Ledger And His Take On 'The Joker' Seven Years Later
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=114069
    Jay Oliva is doing a remarkable job with these animated movies! I'm looking forward to this next entry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Check this out, my fellow Batoholics:

http://ap.ign.com/batman-the-dark-knight-returns-part-1/86694/news/dark-knight-returns-batman-and-judge-dredd-action

Some cool stuff there for Dredd fans as well.
    Thanks, Brady!
    Though I like The Dark Knight Returns, both the comic and the animation movie, I find the look of Batman quite unpleasant; therefore I won't buy any of these toys myself. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't know if any Batfans here collect 1:6 action figures, but Sideshow Collectibles have unveiled their next Batman figure...

preview_BatmanGothamKnight-v2-990x600.jpg
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Looks cool but why did they make him so damn ugly??? This is Bruce Wayne: hot billionaire playboy!
    That looks like Ron Perlman had a baby with Grumpy Cat
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Here is SSC's previous Batman...

100090-batman-008.jpg

It comes with an alternate cowl (shorter ears), and an alternate mouth plate (snarling). I imagine the new one will have some alternate features as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Looks cool but why did they make him so damn ugly??? This is Bruce Wayne: hot billionaire playboy!
    That looks like Ron Perlman had a baby with Grumpy Cat

Yeah, I'm with you on that.

By the way, I just want it to be known that I wish Ron and his feline friend the best in their new relationship.
    I don't have a problem with the face plate (if the previous figure is anything to go by, it will likely come with an alternate expression). It's the ears with are off putting to me. If the ears are a little shorter, I might buy it.
    I wished SSC could renew their 007 licence with Eon as their are so many icons untouched that I would love to be able to add to my collection.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Sideshow have released more pics of the Gotham Knight 1:6 figure...

attachment.php?attachmentid=168804&d=1424804651
    attachment.php?attachmentid=168805&d=1424804669
    attachment.php?attachmentid=168806&d=1424804681
    attachment.php?attachmentid=168807&d=1424804695
    attachment.php?attachmentid=168808&d=1424804707

Not as big of a Batfan as I am a Bond fan, but dammit i'm getting this one.
    so there is a new batman in the comics

http://io9.com/a-new-batman-and-several-new-robins-are-debuting-in-dc-1690512227

Some of the new suit design I actually really like in fact I like everything except for the Helemet the Rocket shoulder pads and the back pack

I miss the cape but I can get over that
    Robobat. How original.
    It looks more like a rabbit than a bat, that much is certain. I expected better from Snyder and Capullo.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,894
    So I bought the Sideshow Collectibles 1/6 Batman figure (the blue/grey one) yesterday, and it arrived this morning. What can I say? It's a fantastic figure. The cape... there is so much of it. I was going to swap out the cowl sculpts, but seeing the standard short eared sculpt, I think that I will keep that one on Bats.
    Well, it's happened. My SSC Bats has developed a loose left elbow joint. A not uncommon problem, but I would have expected the joint to last longer than a day, especially considering I barely even moved it.