Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    VAN DAMME is
    LIONHEART

MV5BNDA4ZDVlOWMtNzAzMi00YmYwLTljYjctYzQ1MzcyOWZmYzdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg

Oh yeah, that hit the spot. Solid script and story, cool (albeit brief) fights, lots of heart (Van Damme's most family friendly film I've seen so far), great music score. The supporting cast is superb, especially Harrison Page and Deborah Rennard.

Vintage Van Damme, nice. Released over here as... A.W.O.L. I haven't seen that one.
    AWOL, makes sense. Ties into a plot point.

I also watched Universal Soldier. It's good but not among my favorite Van Dammes. The diner scene is great, along with the bus scene, which for me is the peak of action and intensity in the movie (the out of control vehicle, the grenades... terrific). Lundgren is a pretty great villain once he stops being robotic. I wish they had fleshed out Jerry Orbach's and/or Ed O'Ross' characters a bit more (the unused ending with Orbach sounds cool, but I think I would've preferred if they had further developed the character without introducing any twists). The MVP is by far Ally Walker. Because Van Damme is so stoic here, they had to balance him with a more lively presence, and Walker was just terrific. Charismatic, funny. I came for Van Damme, but stayed for her.

Universal Soldier is one of my favourites. As a film series, it has had an odd evolution over the years. But the first is the best.

Agreed on Allie Walker, she was lovely. Whatever happened to her? I can't say that I have ever seen her in anything else.
    I know she was in While You Were Sleeping, which I'll watch at some point. And the TV series Profiler, co-starring none other than Robert Davi.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    SUNBURN (1979)
    wla890q5po3x.jpg
    I didn't know about this little Farrah Fawcett detective comedy, but I must say that I rather like it, no matter how silly it is. Miss Fawcett plays a ditsy blonde in an exotic location who tries to help a private detective solve a case. The result is nothing special, but the distance of time has given this film at least a strong nostalgic power that I find hard to resist.
    I still remember when David Letterman asked Charles Grodin what that movie Sunburn was about. His response? "About sunburn."
  • peterpeter Toronto
    AIR….. whoever thought that a film about a sneaker company would be so riveting, humorous and intense. Well done to director, Ben Affleck, for keeping things tight and moving the story forward. Great fun (and on-point 80s nostalgia, 😂)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,465
    TF_TRL_88531rv4.0.jpg
    The Flash is one of my favorite superheros so it was a given i would like this, the movie really does have some awesome sequences usually involving the flash's ability's. I am a runner I run 20 - 25 miles week greatest feeling ever, so any character on screen that runs always gets me hyped (it probably why I am such a big fan of Tom Cruise lol). The CGI did not bother me as its what it implies that counts for me, admittedly the second act could have been trimmed down slightly, young Barry is a bit much at times and can be irritating, I never liked the casting though to be fair you do think Barry and young Barry are completely different people. The score to the film is exceptional. Supergirl and Michael Keaton's Batman highlight of the film.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,756
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    The Last Tycoon (1976)

Doing a bit of exploration in Tony Curtis' filmography (after watching The Persuaders! of course), and this film, dare I say it, it's underrated, there's even Robert De Niro in his prime! They're all great in this film!

Their acting were a bit realistic in this one, it's almost like Method Acting, the same for Tony Curtis (he's great in this film).

This is one of the films where I'd liked to see a modern take, but performance wise, I'm not sure if they could ever topped the performances of the cast in the original.

"Nor I, you. Who talks like that?"

Tony Curtis was a really good actor, at everything, drama, comedy... sucks that his career went down in the seventies.

At least we got The Manitou. I haven't seen it but it looks cool. And Insignificance.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,393
    The Last Tycoon (1976)

Doing a bit of exploration in Tony Curtis' filmography (after watching The Persuaders! of course), and this film, dare I say it, it's underrated, there's even Robert De Niro in his prime! They're all great in this film!

Their acting were a bit realistic in this one, it's almost like Method Acting, the same for Tony Curtis (he's great in this film).

This is one of the films where I'd liked to see a modern take, but performance wise, I'm not sure if they could ever topped the performances of the cast in the original.

Tony Curtis was a really good actor, at everything, drama, comedy... sucks that his career went down in the seventies.

At least we got The Manitou. I haven't seen it but it looks cool. And Insignificance.

Yes, it's a shame really, he'd even struggled with drugs because his career was declining and been offered a few film roles (hence, why he accepted the role in The Persuaders!), thinking that it could somehow boost his career.

It's also a shame that he never won an Oscar (despite of his great performances), I'm glad that Jamie Lee Curtis remembered him at the Oscars when she won.

Tony Curtis could really play anything, he's realistic in all of his roles, he's really creepy in The Boston Strangler.

I may also recommend you watching Lepke, he's also great in that.

Tony Curtis is an underrated actor.

Thank you for mentioning The Manitou and Insignificance, I'm going to watch those.
    The Last Tycoon (1976)

Yes, it's a shame really, he'd even struggled with drugs because his career was declining and been offered a few film roles (hence, why he accepted the role in The Persuaders!), thinking that it could somehow boost his career.

It's also a shame that he never won an Oscar (despite of his great performances), I'm glad that Jamie Lee Curtis remembered him at the Oscars when she won.

Tony Curtis could really play anything, he's realistic in all of his roles, he's really creepy in The Boston Strangler.

I may also recommend you watching Lepke, he's also great in that.

Tony Curtis is an underrated actor.

Thank you for mentioning The Manitou and Insignificance, I'm going to watch those.

Thanks for the recommendation, l'll definitely watch Lepke.

I remember in his book, Tony talks about how after Last Tycoon, he thought his career was back on track, but it turned out to be just an exception. So cool seeing him act with De Niro though. Two different generations of actors.

He also talks about how he felt he wasn't properly connected anymore in the film industry of the seventies, particularly after switching agents (from Lew Wasserman to Swifty Lazar).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TF_TRL_88531rv4.0.jpg
    The Flash is one of my favorite superheros so it was a given i would like this, the movie really does have some awesome sequences usually involving the flash's ability's. I am a runner I run 20 - 25 miles week greatest feeling ever, so any character on screen that runs always gets me hyped (it probably why I am such a big fan of Tom Cruise lol). The CGI did not bother me as its what it implies that counts for me, admittedly the second act could have been trimmed down slightly, young Barry is a bit much at times and can be irritating, I never liked the casting though to be fair you do think Barry and young Barry are completely different people. The score to the film is exceptional. Supergirl and Michael Keaton's Batman highlight of the film.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns … although I found this film a hot mess, Keaton-Batman and Supergirl really did run away with it.

I expected as much with Keaton, and I love his Batman (my favourite); but I knew nothing about the actor playing Supergirl. She was fantastic. It’s a true shame that Gunn won’t be continuing with her, since I saw so much potential….
  • Regarding The Flash, how did everyone feel about those cameos? I found a few to be distasteful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    SUNBURN (1979)
    wla890q5po3x.jpg
    I didn't know about this little Farrah Fawcett detective comedy, but I must say that I rather like it, no matter how silly it is. Miss Fawcett plays a ditsy blonde in an exotic location who tries to help a private detective solve a case. The result is nothing special, but the distance of time has given this film at least a strong nostalgic power that I find hard to resist.

Sounds like fun, where did you manage to watch it?

@GoldenGun
    It's really not that good a film. I wouldn't pursue it. I found a DVD on eBay.
    SUNBURN (1979)
    wla890q5po3x.jpg

@GoldenGun

So what did you think of Grodin in the film? I've only seen him in comedic roles of the 80's and 90's, but I'm aware that in the seventies, after the success of The Heartbreak Kid, he had a very brief phase where he was more the "cool" leading man, in films like 11 Harrowhouse. I don't necessarily expect him to be great at that, but I'll watch those performances with fascination nonetheless.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,465
    peter wrote: »
    TF_TRL_88531rv4.0.jpg

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns … although I found this film a hot mess, Keaton-Batman and Supergirl really did run away with it.

I expected as much with Keaton, and I love his Batman (my favourite); but I knew nothing about the actor playing Supergirl. She was fantastic. It’s a true shame that Gunn won’t be continuing with her, since I saw so much potential….

One of the biggest takeaways from The Flash was how good Sasha Calle was as Supergirl I wish she had more screen time. I saw a few interviews with Sasha and came across as a genuinely lovely person, it is a shame the film did so poorly as many involved in the project deserved better. I hope Sasha get's good roles going forward, i would like to see her do well. I saw Batman 89 at the cinema, I did geek out a bit when Danny Elfman's theme played.

Edited: What does baffle me as I am currently watching The Flash again, they put in CGI often when surely it was not needed. It must be down to Miller not been available so they were forced into way too much CGI?
    Regarding The Flash, how did everyone feel about those cameos? I found a few to be distasteful.

The cameo's did not bother me as in context of what was going on in the scene it made sense.
    As a kid I watched George Reeves Superman and Batman 66 in the 70's when they were they were rerun (we only had 3 TV channels here in the UK at one point) I watched the episodes hundreds of times so seeing the cameo's felt nostalgic to me in any case.
    SUNBURN (1979)
    wla890q5po3x.jpg

@GoldenGun

So what did you think of Grodin in the film? I've only seen him in comedic roles of the 80's and 90's, but I'm aware that in the seventies, after the success of The Heartbreak Kid, he had a very brief phase where he was more the "cool" leading man, in films like 11 Harrowhouse. I don't necessarily expect him to be great at that, but I'll watch those performances with fascination nonetheless.

Nothing special. He was okay, reminded me a bit of Chevy Chase in Fletch.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    SUNBURN (1979)
    wla890q5po3x.jpg

@GoldenGun

Thanks for the advice, if I'll ever find it on YT, I'll give it a try :)
    Watched '11 Harrowhouse' many years ago on Telly and enjoying it. I like caper movies, and recall Grodin being good in it (the lovely Candice Bergen is the female lead)
    In the middle of visits to the family, and watching the last three discs of the second season of It Takes a Thief, I managed to see two of the movies I brought with me for my vacations in Brest.

First, Everything Everywhere All at Once : For once, the title didn't lie. It's a movie that stays with you for a long time, and can be the subject of many theories (for example, did all those things happen, or did the protagonist experience a psychotic break from the pressure she was under ?). And all those who got an oscar really deserved it. My favourite scene ?
    The rocks

Second : Gamera the Brave : The last (so far) movie of the series featuring the flame-breathing giant turtle. Even if the producers decided to bring back kids after the (great) Heisei trilogy, this time, they're not as annoying as the "Kennys" from the original movies. The movie is at times emotional. And the final fight is really great.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I'm going to see From Russia With Love this Friday at Metrograph in NYC. Very excited. It's playing on my birthday! What are the odds.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Happy birthday, @LucknFate , and enjoy this amazing film on the big screen. I hope you report back on the “new things” that you discover!
    Happy B-day, @LucknFate! Great way to celebrate it too. Enjoy.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Convention in my country says that wishing a happy birthday before the actual date brings bad luck (and no, I'm not superstitious...it brings bad luck as well). But I'm sure you will enjoy the viewing. I've never seen FRWL (nor most of the other Bond movies) on a screen larger than my own. Which is pretty large for a home theater, but no competition to a professional movie theater screen. Enjoy!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I'm going to see From Russia With Love this Friday at Metrograph in NYC. Very excited. It's playing on my birthday! What are the odds.

Happy Birthday to you, in case I forget come Friday! That's a great birthday present right there.
    Enjoy @LucknFate it does not get much better than FRWL, even more so on your Birthday, all the best.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Happy Birthday @LucknFate. Despite living in New York City, I’ve never been to the Metrograph, so you’ll have to report back (if nothing else it seems like they have a nice selection of wines and cocktails!). Some time ago I saw FRWL with a packed crowd at the Film Forum as part of their “1962-1964” movie retrospective. If your evening is anything like my experience, I know that you’re going to have a great time.

One of the nice things about living in NYC is that we still have a number of repertory theaters that screen independent, foreign and classic/older films. And seeing a great film on the large screen is still a fun night out. For example, I just saw “2OO1” (in 70mm) and “DOUBLE INDEMINITY” (35 mm print) within the past three days at the Angelika. Even for a film that I’ve watched countless times on DVD, I’m always amazed at the little details that I’m able to pick out when I see it on the large screen.

I wish I could join you but given my commute the starting time is a bit late. In any case have FUN!!!!
    Blood_and_wine_1996_poster.jpg

Blood and Wine. Riveting, especially the ending, which was also poignant. It was a treat to see Jack and my main man Caine sharing the screen. The latter played a cruel yet pitiful bastard.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,440
    peter wrote: »
    Happy birthday, @LucknFate , and enjoy this amazing film on the big screen. I hope you report back on the “new things” that you discover!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Convention in my country says that wishing a happy birthday before the actual date brings bad luck (and no, I'm not superstitious...it brings bad luck as well). But I'm sure you will enjoy the viewing. I've never seen FRWL (nor most of the other Bond movies) on a screen larger than my own. Which is pretty large for a home theater, but no competition to a professional movie theater screen. Enjoy!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Happy Birthday to you, in case I forget come Friday! That's a great birthday present right there.
    Happy B-day, @LucknFate! Great way to celebrate it too. Enjoy.
    Dwayne wrote: »

Happy Birthday @LucknFate. Despite living in New York City, I’ve never been to the Metrograph, so you’ll have to report back (if nothing else it seems like they have a nice selection of wines and cocktails!). Some time ago I saw FRWL with a packed crowd at the Film Forum as part of their “1962-1964” movie retrospective. If your evening is anything like my experience, I know that you’re going to have a great time.

One of the nice things about living in NYC is that we still have a number of repertory theaters that screen independent, foreign and classic/older films. And seeing a great film on the large screen is still a fun night out. For example, I just saw “2OO1” (in 70mm) and “DOUBLE INDEMINITY” (35 mm print) within the past three days at the Angelika. Even for a film that I’ve watched countless times on DVD, I’m always amazed at the little details that I’m able to pick out when I see it on the large screen.

I wish I could join you but given my commute the starting time is a bit late. In any case have FUN!!!!

Thanks everybody! And @Dwayne if you ever want to catch something, let me know. They're playing FRWL at Metrograph at later showtimes all weekend, the Sat and Sun times were a little earlier but not by much. It's also on the smaller screen of the two Metrograph has, which isn't great. I'd call it "academic" haha. But it will be fun for me and my date, who has never seen a Bond film! Funnily enough, we had discussed FRWL as a good first Bond film before this screening came up. I just got very lucky!
    Yesterday, I watched Top Hat. Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, and a great supporting cast, what more could anyone ask for ?

Shutter Island. Fantastic film, better than I remembered. But someone, please, please tell me…
    I wasn’t the only one left thinking that Teddy is real and he was only fooled into thinking he was insane.
    The-Train-1964.jpg

"You are nothing, Labiche. The paintings are mine; they always will be. Beauty belongs to the man who can appreciate it."
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    (removed image link)

"You are nothing, Labiche. The paintings are mine; they always will be. Beauty belongs to the man who can appreciate it."

Yes, I'll have to watch "The Train" again.
    Last night, I watched Captain America : First Avenger. Funny, that one was one of the few Marvel movies I didn't see in the theater when it came out. Well, it's a very fun movie, and because of it, the ending scene of Avengers : Endgame makes so much sense.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Last night, I watched Captain America : First Avenger. Funny, that one was one of the few Marvel movies I didn't see in the theater when it came out. Well, it's a very fun movie, and because of it, the ending scene of Avengers : Endgame makes so much sense.

It's got the best score in the series for me.