Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've been watching all of Michael Mann's films this week, revisiting some I haven't seen in a very long time and checking out the few I still hadn't got around to. I'm watching L.A. Takedown for the first time now and it's, uhhh, real bad. Most of the main story beats are still there but it's inferior in just about every sense. It doesn't even feel like a Mann production, minus the use of music.

I rather like L.A. Takedown as a film study, but much less as a film in its own right, especially knowing how awesome HEAT turned out.

Still, I don't always represent the majority vote in the Mann filmography department. ;-) I think The Keep could have been an awesome exercise in Lovecraftian horror and I absolutely love BlackHat. I think HEAT, The Insider and Thief are Mann's best, though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It is very hard to watch it unbiased, considering how many times I've watched and loved Heat. I might enjoy it more if I had managed to not see its genius big brother first.

The Keep was another one I just saw for the first time, one with some incredible potential that ends up disappointing in all the chaos. I also probably would've loved it a lot more had I gotten to see Mann's original, lengthy vision for it; as it stands, the version available now is chopped to hell and makes little sense in most spots. I admire its originality though.

Blackhat isn't bad, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! Revisited it again last night, hadn't seen it since back around when it released, and it's very stylish and unique. It's just the sort of film I've been missing from Mann, can't wait until he gets around to shooting Heat 2 finally.

I've not seen The Insider yet but I think my favorite will end up being either Thief or Heat, probably the former. It's perfect. I do have a soft spot for Public Enemies, I love it, and I also just saw for the first time The Jericho Mile, which, for being Mann's film debut and a TV movie at that, really, really blew me away.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Zulu

2qoolekmo1ik.jpg

Besides being an absolute masterpiece of British cinema, Zulu also has one of John Barry's best scores. It's usually the latter that reminds me to go back to this film once every few years and enjoy the full package. Excellent film!

One of the best action epics ever made. Superb cast, thrilling action and as you say, brilliant score from John Barry. They REALLY dont make them like this anymore! Upgraded to bluray few years ago, may look up a 4K, as its beautifully shot too!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,449
    I have watched a lot of Stanley Baker's films over the last few years, such a good actor died way to young cinema lost a great. I saw Zulu on Prime the other day going cheap I considered buying it, though rather get a 4K disk also.

Edited: Just realized Zulu on Paramount + which I am currently subscribed to. Wow even in HD the films pops. I don't think I have watched this since VHS days.
    I've never seen Zulu but you lot have me interested in it, going to check it out tonight or tomorrow when time allows.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Zulu

2qoolekmo1ik.jpg

Besides being an absolute masterpiece of British cinema, Zulu also has one of John Barry's best scores. It's usually the latter that reminds me to go back to this film once every few years and enjoy the full package. Excellent film!

Brilliant film. The lead up to the battle, especially Men Of Harlech, gets the hairs on the back on my neck to stand up. Even just thinking about it.

MV5BNDgzZmYzMGEtNDMzZC00MzVkLWFjNTItMjUwZmFhYzkwNTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Betty Grable. 8-> :x
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    John Wick: Chapter 4 4K best film in the series this was awesome, a lot of Bond vibes going on and nods to classic martial arts films. Scott Adkins that was a huge surprise.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    John Wick: Chapter 4 4K best film in the series this was awesome, a lot of Bond vibes going on and nods to classic martial arts films. Scott Adkins that was a huge surprise.

Big fan of Adkins that I am, I still haven't seen Chapter 4. I genuinely didn't know Killa was him, when I first saw the trailer.
    I have watched a lot of Stanley Baker's films over the last few years, such a good actor died way to young cinema lost a great. I saw Zulu on Prime the other day going cheap I considered buying it, though rather get a 4K disk also.

Edited: Just realized Zulu on Paramount + which I am currently subscribed to. Wow even in HD the films pops. I don't think I have watched this since VHS days.

Baker and Director Cy Enfield also teamed up in an excellent movie called 'Hell Drivers', with a supporting role for a certain Mr. Connery!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Baker and Director Cy Enfield also teamed up in an excellent movie called 'Hell Drivers', with a supporting role for a certain Mr. Connery!

I have Hell Drivers, great film with an incredible cast, the cream of British cinema.
    It is very hard to watch it unbiased, considering how many times I've watched and loved Heat. I might enjoy it more if I had managed to not see its genius big brother first.

The Keep was another one I just saw for the first time, one with some incredible potential that ends up disappointing in all the chaos. I also probably would've loved it a lot more had I gotten to see Mann's original, lengthy vision for it; as it stands, the version available now is chopped to hell and makes little sense in most spots. I admire its originality though.

Blackhat isn't bad, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! Revisited it again last night, hadn't seen it since back around when it released, and it's very stylish and unique. It's just the sort of film I've been missing from Mann, can't wait until he gets around to shooting Heat 2 finally.

I've not seen The Insider yet but I think my favorite will end up being either Thief or Heat, probably the former. It's perfect. I do have a soft spot for Public Enemies, I love it, and I also just saw for the first time The Jericho Mile, which, for being Mann's film debut and a TV movie at that, really, really blew me away.

'The Jericho Mile' is a little seen gem, but should be lauded more. Great story, and the ending is really thrilling! I was disappointed with 'Public Enemies, expected so much more from Mann! What is your opinion on 'The Last of the Mohicans'? Loved it when I first saw it in Cinema. But I dont think its aged well, compared to Manns other films. 'Manhunter' still remains my favourite of his!

Big fan of Adkins that I am, I still haven't seen Chapter 4. I genuinely didn't know Killa was him, when I first saw the trailer.

I avoided most of the trailers and build up so knew very little about the film, its really good one of the best Hollywood martial arts films I have seen in a long time.

One particular action sequence is one of the best I have seen, you will know it when you see it.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 6,749
    Would love to watch Zulu and Hell Drivers, and more British cinema from the late 50s and early 60s. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I'm due for my regular My Cocaine fix, so Zulu might be in order. Did you know Caine is releasing a thriller novel in a few months? It's called Deadly Game, and the lead character is DCI Harry Taylor.

Harry Palmer.
    Harry Anders.
    Harry Brown.
    Harry Taylor.
    Sure, why not?

---

I haven't seen much of Adkins but it looks like his role in John Wick 4 is a lot of fun.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Would love to watch Zulu and Hell Drivers, and more British cinema from the late 50s and early 60s. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I'm due for my regular My Cocaine fix, so Zulu might be in order. Did you know Caine is releasing a thriller novel in a few months? It's called Deadly Game, and the lead character is DCI Harry Taylor.

Harry Palmer.
    Harry Brown.
    Harry Taylor.
    Sure, why not?

---

I haven't seen much of Adkins but it looks like his role in John Wick 4 is a lot of fun.

A great era for British cinema.

Sir Sean, so much charisma.
    MV5BMTQyMTY1OTA0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODYwNTgwNDE@._V1_.jpg

This was really, really good. And funny.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,630

And don’t forget Patrick McGoohan, Herbert Lom, David McCallum, Jill Ireland and (of course) Peggy Cummins. :x
    2696.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=300c5d448f86fa2855876c2c8faff9f1

'The Jericho Mile' is a little seen gem, but should be lauded more. Great story, and the ending is really thrilling! I was disappointed with 'Public Enemies, expected so much more from Mann! What is your opinion on 'The Last of the Mohicans'? Loved it when I first saw it in Cinema. But I dont think its aged well, compared to Manns other films. 'Manhunter' still remains my favourite of his!

I love to hear this! Even after all my years of loving Mann's work, this one never even appeared on my radar. I love when I check out something fairly unknown out of the blue and it ends up blowing me away. Peter Strauss was brilliant in it and I loved how Mann balanced the gritty prison vibes with the feel-good sports underdog story.

I just rewatched The Last of the Mohicans the other day, it's a pretty solid historical drama/thriller but honestly feels a bit routine and overly theatrical to me in parts, particularly when it came to the choreography and staging of some of the bigger sequences. It just felt like actors were going through the motions and there wasn't much fluidity in the way they moved. It's still a good film but I wasn't obsessing over it either. It was nice to check out again though cause I don't think I had seen it since I last saw it during a few classes in school ages ago.

Manhunter is absolutely Top 3 for me, behind Thief and Heat.
    Manhunter is a delight. The film oozes '80s charm. Mohicans is a good film with a catchy score, but not a top 5 Mann film for me.
    I'm watching The Insider, and yes, it's dry like I expected, but the performances and technical details really elevate it into something quite special.

I have a first time viewing of Ali left and my highly anticipated rewatch after many years of Public Enemies and then I've finally seen them all until Ferrari.
    I absolutely love The Insider. Crowe is great in it. He plays vulnerable and angry like I've never seen him before.
    I absolutely love The Insider. Crowe is great in it. He plays vulnerable and angry like I've never seen him before.

Even the slight makeup tweaks for his character are gold. The scene in his hotel room in the third act, when he's all but given up, he looks much older than he did at the start. Very impressive how they matured him to begin with when he was barely 33 or so when filming.

I avoided most of the trailers and build up so knew very little about the film, its really good one of the best Hollywood martial arts films I have seen in a long time.

One particular action sequence is one of the best I have seen, you will know it when you see it.

Does that involve an overhead shot?, I've heard something about that, but didn't want to look too much in to it.

Does that involve an overhead shot?, I've heard something about that, but didn't want to look too much in to it.

That was a great scene, after thinking about the film after re watching a few scenes there are at least 3 action set pieces that are very memorable, they really did go all out with JW4.
    1298_1_large.jpg
    2010: The Year We Make Contact There is a lot to like with this well made sequel, in HD the films effects stand up well. It's no 2001 though that film was art and one of the greatest films ever made. 2010 was nominated for 5 Oscars and it's easy to see why the ending is brilliant. I read 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 in my teenage years, huge fan of science fiction.

Peter Hyams who directed 2010 has great form in the genre.
    SISU (2022)
    Saw the trailer for this on here and was intrigued!
    John Wick in WW II, I was thinking! It didn't start well with an animated map, which reminded me of the opening credits of 'Dads Army'!! But, boy, was I surprised! An absolute blast ( literally!)
    Jorma Tommila plays Korpi, an ex soldier turned gold prospector, during the final days of the War. He hits the mother lode and proceeds to head on horseback to the nearest bank!! On the way he runs into a Nazi unit lead by Aksel Hennie ( He of the excellent 'Headhunter' movie)
    They take his gold, and so begins an epic battle, where Korpi hacks, stabs, shoots, and in one hilarious scene, uses landmines as weapons, to get his gold back! Brilliantly directed by Jalmari Helander, and is a contender for my favourite movie of the year! It makes John Wick look like Barbie!
    SISU (2022)
    John Wick in WW II, I was thinking! It didn't start well with an animated map, which reminded me of the opening credits of 'Dads Army'!! But, boy, was I surprised! An absolute blast ( literally!)
    Jorma Tommila plays Korpi, an ex soldier turned gold prospector, during the final days of the War. He hits the mother lode and proceeds to head on horseback to the nearest bank!! On the way he runs into a Nazi unit lead by Aksel Hennie ( He of the excellent 'Headhunter' movie)
    They take his gold, and so begins an epic battle, where Korpi hacks, stabs, shoots, and in one hilarious scene, uses landmines as weapons, to get his gold back! Brilliantly directed by Jalmari Helander, and is a contender for my favourite movie of the year! It makes John Wick look like Barbie!

It requires a huge detachment from reality but I had such a blast with this movie. That lake scene was reminiscent of Jaws, albeit with a deadly, war-soaked killer instead.
    SISU (2022)

It requires a huge detachment from reality but I had such a blast with this movie. That lake scene was reminiscent of Jaws, albeit with a deadly, war-soaked killer instead.

Oh God, yes, particularly the ludicrous ending, but its great fun! And at 91 mins, not a scene wasted with lengthy exposition!
    SISU (2022)

Oh God, yes, particularly the ludicrous ending, but its great fun! And at 91 mins, not a scene wasted with lengthy exposition!

Too right! Sometimes, all I need to see is a 90 minute actioner/revenge thriller like this to know I'm going to have a good time.

It's not AS strong but Netflix just released a WWII action-thriller called Blood and Gold that was similarly satisfying and entertaining. It's worth a look. Ending gets a little murky and injects in too many characters doing too many things at once but all in all I had a fun time with it.
    XTRO
    des81np4txbt.jpg
    Low-budget sci-fi horror flick that manages to push all my nostalgia buttons. Fans of Maryam d'Abo may be pleased to know that this film shows a lot of her. A lot.
    XTRO
    des81np4txbt.jpg
    Low-budget sci-fi horror flick that manages to push all my nostalgia buttons. Fans of Maryam d'Abo may be pleased to know that this film shows a lot of her. A lot.

Say no more, I'll be adding it to my Watchlist for, uhh, further investigation and analysis by myself.