Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I haven't seen any of Zombie's films outside of his Halloween films, but I'm now tempted to see what's what. Thanks @DarthDimi
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I haven't seen any of Zombie's films outside of his Halloween films, but I'm now tempted to see what's what. Thanks @DarthDimi

Statistically speaking, you're more inclined to dislike Zombie's movies, so don't hate me afterwards. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Statistically speaking, you're more inclined to dislike Zombie's movies, so don't hate me afterwards. ;-)

:)) He has his niche, that's for sure. I actually quite like his Halloween remake. The sequel is a different story.

But I'll try anything once and I have a strong stomach for general unpleasantness, so I'll let you know how I get on!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

That's honest @DarthDimi..... i always feel like taking a shower after watching one of his films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

That's honest @DarthDimi..... i always feel like taking a shower after watching one of his films.

Yeah, so do I. Everybody looks dirty, smelly, unhygienic and carrying more than one STD. People never seem to take a shower or a bath and their undies look like they were carried for years on end without getting washed once. It's part of Zombie's aesthetic and he's sticking to it, so at the very least we can call this the prerogative of the auteur. ;-)

Yeah, so do I. Everybody looks dirty, smelly, unhygienic and carrying more than one STD. People never seem to take a shower or a bath and their undies look like they were carried for years on end without getting washed once. It's part of Zombie's aesthetic and he's sticking to it, so at the very least we can call this the prerogative of the auteur. ;-)

I thought Rejects was ok (if unoriginal and overlong) and i appreciated the 70's vibe he put on the film but the rest of his output i just find detestable. It's the sheer leering sadistic content of his films i find hard to stomach.

He's a one trick pony but fair play to him at least he makes the films he wants to make.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Just took my kid to the 35th Anniversary screening of Ghostbusters. It's now officially her favourite movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    CRAWL

films-d-horreur-fantastique-5ccaf16053366.jpg

Shlocky in its set up but ends up being tense, straightforward fun with decent effects and some good kills as well as solid performances. Who doesn't like Barry Pepper?
    Ha! it’s funny that you ask, me, I don’t like Barry Pepper.
    I enjoy this film and thought that the female lead was excellent. Unfortunately, Pepper was so painfully bad that every time he spoke it pulled me out of the movie. I wanted so badly for him to either get eaten or drown, anything to put him out of my misery. 😏
    talos7 wrote: »
    CRAWL

films-d-horreur-fantastique-5ccaf16053366.jpg

Shlocky in its set up but ends up being tense, straightforward fun with decent effects and some good kills as well as solid performances. Who doesn't like Barry Pepper?
    Ha! it’s funny that you ask, me, I don’t like Barry Pepper.
    I enjoy this film and thought that the female lead was excellent. Unfortunately, Pepper was so painfully bad that every time he spoke it pulled me out of the movie. I wanted so badly for him to either get eaten or drown, anything to put him out of my misery. 😏

Sacrilege! ;) :))

Glad you liked the film though. I had a good time with it.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Last night I went to a screening of Withnail And I. I love that film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2019 Posts: 6,791
    JOKER
    Todd Phillips
    Searching ever since "The Dark Knight" to find a DC/Marvel film that seeks to be more than just popcorn entertainment, I was rather looking forward to "Joker". In the end, however, I was as much disappointed with this film as its protagonist was in society.

What is does do good, though, it does so excellently. Joaquin Phoenix is suitably eerie as the ill-fated Joker. His habitat is equally unsettling. Far away from Tim Burton's or even Christopher Nolan's Gotham, this Gotham looks like what would happen if the New York from "Taxi Driver" and the Blackeberg from "Låt den rätte komma in" would melt into one.

But enough with the pleasantries, let's have a look at what this film tries to say. Because in the end, it's a DC movie disguised as a social commentary. Quite rightfully it points out that said society fails to cope with unaddressed issues, that by turning its head away from other people's problems, it creates a vast group of people left in despair and without hope. For mainstream cinema, that's rather bold.

Subsequently, though, "Joker" loses every tiny bit of nuance while it celebrates a full-on anarchy, pointing its finger to all that is well-off and tells us that those less unfortunate 'get what they deserve' when they get a bullet to the brain. There is no grey zone here, only black and white. In "Joker" lucky people are lucky because they are unscrupulous pricks who couldn't care less about anyone else. A message equally worrying as the issues the film tries to address.

This is emphasised even more when the film notably expects its audience to empathise with the Joker in quite a few scenes, while the film overall lacks a likeable character who puts it all into perspective.

Half of "Joker" hits the nail on the head, the other half is blatantly short-sighted. To each his/her own of course, but personally I think the film would have benefited from much more pointing out that on one hand there are a lot of people who deserve to be listened to, though on the other hand it is utterly myopic to blame everyone else for it not happening.

5/10
    BondStu wrote: »
    Last night I went to a screening of Withnail And I. I love that film.

Brilliant. One of the most quotable British films ever made!
    I went out to see Joker (2019) today. I was totally blown away. Joaquin Phoenix has long been one of my favorite actors, and he may have turned in his all-time best performance as Arthur Fleck / Joker. It's an ultra-impressive, unique take on the legendary character. The other actors are all great as well, but Phoenix himself is the star 110%. I sincerely hope he will get another turn in this role.

The Taxi Driver inspiration is heavy, but it serves the film well. I love that this film is serious - not average popcorn entertainment like most comic-book films. It's extremely violent and incredibly bleak. The messages and themes are not easy, but ever-relevant in our society. The film has stuff to say. This is not a film for the faint of heart, but an excellent film and one I'd recommend to any serious movie-goer. My film of the year, and one of the best this decade.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    JAWS one of my favorite movies
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JAWS one of my favorite movies

Was just talking to someone about this a few hours ago as I watched FRWL and reflected on Robert Shaw being in both incredible films. I need to rewatch it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Creasy47 Shaw is brilliant one of his best roles, the dynamic between Shaw, Dreyfuss and Schnieder is one of the best. I have often lived near the ocean, this film always reminds me of simpler times, the atmosphere of the film is incredible.
    Couldn't agree more. It doesn't get much more compelling than the scene on the boat between the three where they're sharing and comparing the stories of their scars and Quint breaks out the USS Indianapolis tale. Powerful stuff.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. It doesn't get much more compelling than the scene on the boat between the three where they're sharing and comparing the stories of their scars and Quint breaks out the USS Indianapolis tale. Powerful stuff.

Brilliant scene it works on many levels, I was reading about Shaw earlier, such a sad end to his life too many from his generation died way too young.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 1,641
    MR in Oslo , they cut at least 20-25 mins......and not cuz censorship , i guess some reels were missing or something (exploding dummy head was prolly cut for sure , perhaps too intense for Norways censor then)

Im still wondering if it was some kind of prank now over an hr later :p

Sure hope LTK and OHMSS are uncut tomorrow , i travelled a long way to see these , esp OHMSS is important :/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AMERICAN SNIPER (C. Eastwood, 2014)
    tdy_jackson_sniper_150124.today-vid-canonical-featured-desktop.jpg
    A very well made feel-bad movie.

Brilliant scene. The story over who actually wrote that scene, John Milius or Shaw himself, was recently put to bed by Spielberg, when he said Milius wrote a very long original version, and Shaw rewrote the finished scene.
    Still think Jaws is Spielbergs finest hour!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,701
    Yippeeeeeee...I had to take a hiatus from my home theatre because a radiator had rusted through and for its replacement I had to remove the shelf with my video equipment...not expecting it to take as long as it did to replace the radiator...almost three months. So I actually only got back to watching movies on Friday night.

That was my umpteenth viewing of my favourite Billy Wilder movie, One, Two, Three...but for the first time on Blu-ray. I really do think this beats every other Wilder film in terms of crazy humour and fun (this includes Some Like It Hot). It takes a bit of awareness of the political situation in Berlin shortly before the wall was built (which I, as a cold-war kid, do possess). Wilder's satire leaves no relevant group untouched...Americans, Russians, Germans, businessmen, Communist commissars, you name it. I could watch this film every month and still laugh my butt off. (Not saying it's perfect...there is a supposedly funny scene with a Red Buttons cameo which I consider the low point of the movie.)

Last night I followed up with Mel Brooks' The Producers. Also nothing new to me, and from memory I expected a riot of humour. Good fun, but that memory sort of disappointed me. It's not nearly as funny as, say, Blazing Saddles. Overall good, but not great. I found I cannot really relate to Zero Mostel's acting and/or style of humour. About a year ago, Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum was the latest movie that I stopped viewing in the middle of it. I just didn't think it was funny.
    A History of Violence

Shot with Cronenberg's off kilter reality, this is one riveting film.

Intense performances from Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris and Maria Bello.

Brilliant stuff from one of my favourite directors.
    A History of Violence

Excellent film, I love how it really keeps you guessing throughout. If you've not seen it, you should see the other collaboration that Mortensen and Cronenberg did together, Eastern Promises.
    That is an excellent film. Cronenberg definitely has a spot among my favorite directors. In addition to A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, I really like The Dead Zone, Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Existenz, Spider, The Brood, Crash, and A Dangerous Method.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    That is an excellent film. Cronenberg definitely has a spot among my favorite directors. In addition to A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, I really like The Dead Zone, Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers, Existenz, Spider, The Brood, Crash, and A Dangerous Method.

Do you like Scanners at all? I haven't seen The Brood in a long while and recall having some issues with the acting, but all in all it was pretty terrifying. Videodrome is easily my favorite of his works and one of my favorite sci-fi/horror films overall.

Do you like Scanners at all? I haven't seen The Brood in a long while and recall having some issues with the acting, but all in all it was pretty terrifying. Videodrome is easily my favorite of his works and one of my favorite sci-fi/horror films overall.

Wasn’t crazy about Scanners myself. It was okay, but to me not one of Cronenberg’s better works. Videodrome is definitely one of his finest. It’s super creepy, wild, and as relevant as ever.

Wasn’t crazy about Scanners myself. It was okay, but to me not one of Cronenberg’s better works. Videodrome is definitely one of his finest. It’s super creepy, wild, and as relevant as ever.

I thought it was pretty good, but as you say, not amongst his best. I admired the cast and the animatronics/makeup work, though, they were fantastic.
    A History of Violence

Intense performances from Viggo Mort
    A History of Violence

Excellent film, I love how it really keeps you guessing throughout. If you've not seen it, you should see the other collaboration that Mortensen and Cronenberg did together, Eastern Promises.

Yes @Creasy47 i really like Eastern Promises, although it's not one i watch very often.

More recently i loved his 'Maps To The Stars' as well.

Like you i think Videodrome is his best work.

Cronenberg has such a varied but always fascinating body of work.

I also love
    Shivers
    Rabid
    Scanners
    The Brood
    Dead Ringers
    The Fly
    Existenz
    Crash
    This :

hardway.jpg

One of my favourite and I hadn't seen it for ages.
    Got the DVD out and it's still a really funny,exciting ride !!