Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Killing JokeI skipped the prologue its totally pointless. This film/story is all about the ending, very powerful indeed.

The prologue is meh, but I really enjoyed the adaptation overall. Very over-hated film.

Agree it is a good film, I can understand them wanting to extend the run time though personally I would have preferred a tighter and shorter adaption. This motion comic is excellent i have posted this before though some may have not seen it...
    Face/Off (1997). So over-the-top, but so enjoyable. Cage and Travolta are so much fun to watch in this film!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I contemplated going to see the latest Tarantino movie this weekend, but had suddenly no one to go with, so instead stayed home and watched this fantastic little gem by Duncan Jones.

Sam Rockwell gives an outstanding performance here. Last week I saw Ad Astra, and its metaphorical odyssey theme made me think of Arthur C. Clarke. This one, with its philosophical themes of identity and corporate fascism, made me think of Philip K. Dick, which is also high praise.

I was very moved by this one.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I contemplated going to see the latest Tarantino movie this weekend, but had suddenly no one to go with, so instead stayed home and watched this fantastic little gem by Duncan Jones.

Sam Rockwell gives an outstanding performance here. Last week I saw Ad Astra, and its metaphorical odyssey theme made me think of Arthur C. Clarke. This one, with its philosophical themes of identity and corporate fascism, made me think of Philip K. Dick, which is also high praise.

I was very moved by this one.

It is a wonderful film. Sam Rockwell is just amazing in it. Definitely has P.K Dick vibes.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 45,489
    WHIPLASH (D. Chazelle, 2014)
    This was a pretty good and engaging movie, about ambition, rivalry and emotional abuse. J. K. Simmons as a psychopathic music teacher and Miles Teller as an immature Drum Rocky. It is the interplay between these two main characters that make it interesting.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, that's in my Top 3 of favorite films of the last 10-15 years, I'd say, and definitely my favorite finale of any film (those final 9-11 minutes).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, that's in my Top 3 of favorite films of the last 10-15 years, I'd say, and definitely my favorite finale of any film (those final 9-11 minutes).

There are some exciting surprise twists leading up to that moment. You never know how it will turn out.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

There are some exciting surprise twists leading up to that moment. You never know how it will turn out.

Absolutely. The smile the two finally share in the closing seconds gets me every time.
    It was an appropriate ending. I am glad it didn t go the other way.
    Agreed. It was perfect to me.
    Last Movie I Watched was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I enjoyed it; there some really great scenes in it. I loved the setting and subject matter of the film, exploring the career of this actor in a transitional time for Hollywood. The shop talk about different actors and TV shows popular at the time, and the nods to Italian cinema, were fascinating. The ranch scene was fantastic. I also liked the ending. The film did feel a little slow in a couple of spots but overall it was pretty enjoyable. I could see myself watching it again and enjoying it even more.

---

Not the Last Movie I Watched, but I finally ran into a trailer of this film which I saw about twenty years ago. I'm not sure how good it was, but I'd like to watch it again. Anybody seen it?

Vampire’s Kiss (1988). Absolutely hilarious film!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2019 Posts: 6,791
    THE MESSENGER:
    THE STORY OF JOAN OF ARC (1999)

Directed by famous French director Luc Besson. An intriguing watch about one of France’s most well-known historical figures: Joan of Arc (Fr. Jeanne d’Arc), who led French troops to several important victories against the English during the 100-year War before being finally captured and burned at the stake.

What the film does extremely well is focusing primarily on the character of Jeanne rather than her military campaigns. As it is said, she reportedly claimed to have been approached by God to help return France to the French. The film is very ambiguous when handling the question of her sanity. Neither confirming, nor denying such heavenly involvement, Besson’s portrayal of her visions are absolutely striking, both visually as well as musically. Equally captivating are the more downbeat conversations Jeanne has with an imaginary entity in her cell, well-portrayed by Dustin Hoffman.

Talking about casting, Joan of Arc boasts a very competent and well-balanced cast including Milla Jovovich as the main character, John Malkovich as the French king, Vincent Cassel, Faye Dunaway and Tchécky Karyo.

The film never sets out to bury us under a big bag of spectacle, as it mainly focuses on Jeanne, but the cinematography of Thierry Arbogast nevertheless stands out. As with many Besson films, the excellent music score is composed by Eric Serra who this time mostly changes his usual electronic sound for more traditional compositions, which suit the film well. A fine end title song performed by Noa emphasises the ambiguity of the subject matter very well when she sings:

Tell me what I'm hearing
    Is it God or man

This film sets out to make its viewers reflect about lots of stuff, and is a fascinating watch while doing so. There is one small complaint however, if you make a film about one of France’s most famous icons, why in the name of all that is good would you not do that in French, but in English?

Anyway, besides the fact that this film should have been a French language film, it is nevertheless a great watch. Recommended.

I also came across three Bond alumni:
    GE: Tchécky Karyo (Mishkin), Eric Serra (composer)
    FYEO: Paul Brooke (Bunky)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Rocketman
    The only negative was that i was extremely tired watching it so there was moments when I dozed off. However it was amazing. If Malek won the Oscar for playing Mercury then there's no way that Taron won't win for this. I need to give it a re-watch soon when I'm fully engaged. Actually make it two negatives
    The sex scene with Richard Madden was sorta uncomfortable to watch.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    81X-6qJsFpL._RI_.jpg
    Saw "the Joker"in its first showing in the Netherlands because my daughter won the tickets and wanted her old dad along who was to blame for her bad taste in movies (Marvel, DC, Godzilla, 007, Star Wars etc).
    A very well made movie about a man and his psychosis and his decent into madness, Joaquin Phoenix does deliver a very powerful performance. A very decent movie.

The Longest Day - what a starstudded vehicle that is not as powerful as Spielbergs' Saving Private Ryan but still an impressive cinematic effort. With a young Connery.

The English Patient - a real favorite movie of mine, loved the book and the movie was a visual and sound spectacle, watch it every so often.
    VERTIGO (A. Hitchcock, 1958)
    vertigo_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwZwVSIA7rSIkPn18jgFKEo0.jpg?imwidth=450
    I think I saw this decades ago, but did not remember the plot, so worth a rewatch. Great talent all around, and I really like the atmosphere in it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Doom: Annihilation

The second movie based on the popular game series that gleefully massacred my childhood, a decent B-movie that knows damn well it'll never be worth anything but a pity f***. Better than the 2005 movie with Dwayne Johnson and Karl Urban.

Superman: The Movie: Extended Edition

The three hour TV edit of the movie. Some needless padding, but overall a solid version of the movie.
    LINCOLN (S. Spielberg, 2012)

Spielberg is good at what he does, but it takes an hour and a half before it gets interesting, except for the scenes with Tommy Lee Jones, which are all highlights. I vastly prefer ABRAHAM LINCOLN_VAMPIRE HUNTER from the same year.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Spielberg is good at what he does, but it takes an hour and a half before it gets interesting, except for the scenes with Tommy Lee Jones, which are all highlights. I vastly prefer ABRAHAM LINCOLN_VAMPIRE HUNTER from the same year.

So do I, @Thunderfinger. Exciting, spectacular, well-made, great score. It's an energetic, fun little action flick.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

So do I, @Thunderfinger. Exciting, spectacular, well-made, great score. It's an energetic, fun little action flick.

Plus it was one of the few movies with spectacularly good 3d effects.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Last Embrace (1979)
    glover-embrace.jpg?w=418&h=228
    Romantic espionage thriller with the always watchable Roy Scheider as a widowed goverment agent whom starts to suspect that he is being targeted by his former agency. When I saw mention of this film, one scene was always brought it. And for good reason. But there is an equally memorable sequence in a bell tower.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    I saw Joker yesterday. Masterpiece. Enjoyed every twisted minute.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,562
    3 FROM HELL

three-from-hell.jpg?quality=80

I'm a huge fan of Rob Zombie's film work. I know I'm the only person this side of hell who is, so I'll be brief. 3 FROM HELL is the third film in the "Firefly" trilogy that began with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and continued with DEVIL'S REJECTS. It's clear that after several critical failures, such as THE LORDS OF SALEM and 31, two films I of course enjoyed tremendously, Zombie had to return to familiar ground. And he did, because 3 FROM HELL puts Captain Spaulding, Otis and Baby back on the most-wanted list after having barely survived the climactic shoot-em-up scene from DEVIL'S REJECTS. Well, we're in for more of the same, played out by Zomby's usual actor friends, taking place in the late '80s while still aesthetically stuck in the '70s, and never holding back on gruesome violence. Every character is vile, looks like he's smelling of rotten eggs, and speaks more curse words than actual English. And if that's never worked for you before, it certainly won't now. But, if you are like me--which I doubt--and you belong in hell--which I do--then 3 FROM HELL is another entertaining Rob Zombie film which I know the critics will love to hate. My only criticism is that it probably could have been a tad shorter and less repetitive; it's basically DEVIL's REJECTS all over again. But that's not really a complaint. I'm guessing you won't like this film, but I do.

WONDER WOMAN: BLOODLINES

maxresdefault.jpg

While Wikipedia lists this one as the 13th film in the DC Animated Movie Universe (DCAMU), which itself is a part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies, I'm sure this is actually the 14th. But nevermind that. So far, the DCAMU has almost entirely guaranteed pure gold, starting with THE FLASHPOINT PARADOX and offering other such delicious entries as BATMAN VS. ROBIN and CONSTANTINE: CITY OF DEMONS. The latest film in the series is meant to serve as a prequel to JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR; it isn't a sequel to 2009's WONDER WOMAN. As a result, we must once again repeat the first meeting between Steve and Diana, already witnessed on screen in the 2009 film and, of course, in the live-action WONDER WOMAN, starring Gal Gadot. Except that this time, it's all done very fast, ridiculously fast even, even though the film's title card doesn't appear until a quarter into the film! After that, we get a simple and disappointingly unoriginal story concerning a girl who's jealous of her mother's appreciation for Diana and will become the Silver Swan to quench her thirst for revenge. Some fighting ensues and... that's all, folks. Seriously, this may very well be the first film of the series that I can only describe as a let-down; it's an even bigger let-down than SUICIDE SQUAD: HELL TO PAY. So while Rosario Dawson sounds great as Wonder Woman and the graphics are of familiar quality, the story is empty and the emotional content, despite some very obvious attempts, almost non-existent. This is all the more disappointing in that a film like FLASHPOINT PARADOX had some tear-jerking moments while SON OF BATMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK felt quite engaging as well. So yes, I guess I didn't find this film very good.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

maxresdefault.jpg

While Wikipedia lists this one as the 13th film in the DC Animated Movie Universe (DCAMU), which itself is a part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies, I'm sure this is actually the 14th. But nevermind that. So far, the DCAMU has almost entirely guaranteed pure gold, starting with THE FLASHPOINT PARADOX

The reason is because although Flashpoint Paradox does start the series, in a way, the majority of the movie takes place in two separate alternate timelines. It wasn't until Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay that the connections actually began. Justice League: War is considered the starting point.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    3 FROM HELL

I'm a huge fan of Rob Zombie's film work. I know I'm the only person this side of hell who is, so I'll be brief. 3 FROM HELL is the third film in the "Firefly" trilogy that began with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and continued with DEVIL'S REJECTS. It's clear that after several critical failures, such as THE LORDS OF SALEM and 31, two films I of course enjoyed tremendously, Zombie had to return to familiar ground. And he did, because 3 FROM HELL puts Captain Spaulding, Otis and Baby back on the most-wanted list after having barely survived the climactic shoot-em-up scene from DEVIL'S REJECTS. Well, we're in for more of the same, played out by Zomby's usual actor friends, taking place in the late '80s while still aesthetically stuck in the '70s, and never holding back on gruesome violence. Every character is vile, looks like he's smelling of rotten eggs, and speaks more curse words than actual English. And if that's never worked for you before, it certainly won't now. But, if you are like me--which I doubt--and you belong in hell--which I do--then 3 FROM HELL is another entertaining Rob Zombie film which I know the critics will love to hate. My only criticism is that it probably could have been a tad shorter and less repetitive; it's basically DEVIL's REJECTS all over again. But that's not really a complaint. I'm guessing you won't like this film, but I do.

maxresdefault.jpg

While Wikipedia lists this one as the 13th film in the DC Animated Movie Universe (DCAMU), which itself is a part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies, I'm sure this is actually the 14th. But nevermind that. So far, the DCAMU has almost entirely guaranteed pure gold, starting with THE FLASHPOINT PARADOX and offering other such delicious entries as BATMAN VS. ROBIN and CONSTANTINE: CITY OF DEMONS. The latest film in the series is meant to serve as a prequel to JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR; it isn't a sequel to 2009's WONDER WOMAN. As a result, we must once again repeat the first meeting between Steve and Diana, already witnessed on screen in the 2009 film and, of course, in the live-action WONDER WOMAN, starring Gal Gadot. Except that this time, it's all done very fast, ridiculously fast even, even though the film's title card doesn't appear until a quarter into the film! After that, we get a simple and disappointingly unoriginal story concerning a girl who's jealous of her mother's appreciation for Diana and will become the Silver Swan to quench her thirst for revenge. Some fighting ensues and... that's all, folks. Seriously, this may very well be the first film of the series that I can only describe as a let-down; it's an even bigger let-down than SUICIDE SQUAD: HELL TO PAY. So while Rosario Dawson sounds great as Wonder Woman and the graphics are of familiar quality, the story is empty and the emotional content, despite some very obvious attempts, almost non-existent. This is all the more disappointing in that a film like FLASHPOINT PARADOX had some tear-jerking moments while SON OF BATMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK felt quite engaging as well. So yes, I guess I didn't find this film very good.

Weren't the Firefly family killed at the end of Devils Rejects??? It looked pretty final to me...

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2019 Posts: 8,040
    CRAWL

films-d-horreur-fantastique-5ccaf16053366.jpg

Shlocky in its set up but ends up being tense, straightforward fun with decent effects and some good kills as well as solid performances. Who doesn't like Barry Pepper?
    R.I.P.D (R. Schwentke, 2013)

Pretty idiotic movie, in the vein of MEN IN BLACK. A couple of funny scenes, but very much a waste of time. Probably the worst I have seen all year, of the ones I bothered to finish.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,562
    3 FROM HELL

maxresdefault.jpg

Weren't the Firefly family killed at the end of Devils Rejects??? It looked pretty final to me...

I'm sure this is not a spoiler because it's on the poster but no, they survived the shooting. :)