Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

BondStu wrote: »
    Yesterday I watched Coppola's final cut of Apocalypse Now. It's a classic no matter how you slice it - but I'll always prefer the original version.

Went to the cinema last night to see Ad Astra (pretty cool!) and earlier today went to see Rambo Last Blood - which was a bit of a disappointment if I'm being completely honest.

@BondStu I love the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now, but thought the Redux version was far inferior. How does the final cut compare to the Redux in your opinion?
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    @FoxRox the Final Cut is longer than the theatrical cut but shorter than the Redux. I only ever watched the Redux once many years ago so I'm probably the least qualified person to ask.
    Very entertaining - but if I were a betting man I'd say the theatrical version will still be your favourite after you've seen the Final Cut.
    @FoxRox the Final Cut is longer than the theatrical cut but shorter than the Redux. I only ever watched the Redux once many years ago so I'm probably the least qualified person to ask.
    Very entertaining - but if I were a betting man I'd say the theatrical version will still be your favourite after you've seen the Final Cut.

Sounds good. I’ll be sure to check it out soon.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Sounds good. I’ll be sure to check it out soon.

All three versions are on the blu-ray, along with the Hearts Of Darkness documentary and loads of other cool stuff. So it's worth buying for sure.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 235
    Just bought Attrition.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    A Shock to the System. Very good.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    mattjoes wrote: »

Is that the Michael Caine film?

Saw that many years ago and remember really liking it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't get Ad Astra out of my head, definitely one of the best films of the year. Pitt was fantastic in it, but I still think his performance in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was his best one in 2019.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Can't get Ad Astra out of my head, definitely one of the best films of the year. Pitt was fantastic in it, but I still think his performance in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was his best one in 2019.

Got my tickets for it later tonight. It was either that or OUATIH, and AA won out.

Got my tickets for it later tonight. It was either that or OUATIH, and AA won out.

Can't go wrong with either, honestly, and they're both worth a theatrical viewing for their own respective reasons. As a pure cinema outing, I probably would've went with Ad Astra, too. The visuals are stunning.

Can't go wrong with either, honestly, and they're both worth a theatrical viewing for their own respective reasons. As a pure cinema outing, I probably would've went with Ad Astra, too. The visuals are stunning.

If Hollywood still shows next weekend, I am planning to see it.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Is that the Michael Caine film?

Saw that many years ago and remember really liking it.

That's the one. Very stylish film. Interesting story. Caine is magnificent.
    AD ASTRA

Thought-provoking, dazzling, intelligent, and deep on many levels. A new science fiction classic. I went with my son, who said it was hard to put words to what he thought of it, but that it gave him goosebumps and that does not happen often.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2019 Posts: 15,690
    I saw Ad Astra on Friday evening. Easily one of my favorite films this year (maybe my #1, will need to rank this year's films once we reach January). I'd put it up there with Blade Runner 2049 in terms of recent sci-fi films, both are new classics of this genre. The film is breathtakingly gorgeous, Brad Pitt has never been better, the soundtrack was also top notch. And it was great to see Tommy Lee Jones leave a lasting impression, even with a limited screentime. The moonbuggy ride scene is one of the best sequences I've seen in years (only the Harrison Ford intro in Blade Runner 2049 beats it for me). I will revisit this film often in the future, it is quite a jaw-dropping & thought-provoking experience.
    BEASTS OF NO NATION (C.J. Fukunaga, 2015)
    beasts-of-no-nation-4.jpg
    A real quality film. A one-time watch due to the unpleasant subject material, but Bond is in good hands.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    p01jwrsf.jpg

Before Red Sparrow, Atomic Blonde, Salt, Alias, She Spies and just about every other female led spy film or tv series, there was Odette (1950). From the popular Wilcox-Neagle stable. Anna Neagle stars as Odette Sansom, a french woman living in Britain, recruited into the SOE, to help the resistance in Nazi occupied France. Based on the wartime story of the real life Odette Samson.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,639
    Italian Connection 3/6 , crime with Silva/Paluzzi/Strode/Celi.......Celi sounds like hes been dubbed by Henry Fonda
    Cinema screening of Raiders Of The Lost Ark yesterday. Second time I've seen it in cinemas. First time was about 5 years ago at an IMAX showing.
    Only really went cause I took my oldest daughter to that screening and wanted to give my youngest a chance to see an Indy film on the big screen.
    I don't know why but I wasn't feeling it. It's always be one of my top five favourite films - but yesterday I just couldn't engage.

Don't know why. Oh well.

Keep me posted, I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on it, provided you do get the opportunity.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 6,724
    Follow Me! I really enjoyed it, though I take issue with a couple of details in the last part of the film. It's an original, distinctive story from the Peter Shaffer play. It's very well acted by the three leads. I was only passingly familiar with Michael Jayston from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy-- he made a very good impression here. And great music score, of course.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2019 Posts: 15,690

Keep me posted, I'll be eager to hear your thoughts on it, provided you do get the opportunity.

Incredible how Brad Pitt has major roles in 2 of my favorite films of this year, 2 widely different films and 2 polar opposite roles. Back in 2001 Clooney was my favorite of the big 3 of Ocean's Eleven, but now Pitt has taken the #1 spot.

Incredible how Brad Pitt has major roles in 2 of my favorite films of this year, 2 widely different films and 2 polar opposite roles. Back in 2001 Clooney was my favorite of the big 3 of Ocean's Eleven, but now Pitt has taken the #1 spot.

Couldn't agree more. I really hope he keeps this streak going with the hits and the incredible portrayals he's been delivering.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,327
    Bohemian Rhapsody I was not rushing to see this as I had all the Albums/Singles/Concerts/Videos in my youth so I know alot about the band.

Erm the best way I can describe this travesty is its like an extended episode of the UK TV parody show Star Stories with a budget, I laughed alot though I suspect I was not supposed to laugh when I did. The film is very shallow and superficial
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 15,804
    A STREET CAT NAMED BOB

Just watched this heartwarming tale of James Bowen and his cat. Directed by one of my favorite Bond directors: Roger Spotiswoode. I quite enjoyed this film.

Streetcat-Named-Bob-poster-e1487085788332.jpg?resize=550%2C413&ssl=1
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Killing JokeI skipped the prologue its totally pointless. This film/story is all about the ending, very powerful indeed.
    The Killing JokeI skipped the prologue its totally pointless. This film/story is all about the ending, very powerful indeed.

The prologue is meh, but I really enjoyed the adaptation overall. Very over-hated film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FoxRox wrote: »

The prologue is meh, but I really enjoyed the adaptation overall. Very over-hated film.

The prologue wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't heavily disjointed with the wonderfully faithful adaptation. Not to mention, the prologue is half the movie. The Killing Joke will always be one of the best crappy Batman movies I've ever seen. I still like it more than Under the Red Hood.
    Midsommar

Been looking forward to this especially as it's from Ari Aster who directed the brilliant Hereditary

This didn't disappoint. It's actually more like The Wicker Man than i thought it would be which is no bad thing although the motivations are not as straightforward.

This is impressive and ambitious with startling imagery, much of it weird and disturbing.

The off kilter atmosphere of the film is nicely unsettling but i also found some of it quite funny.

Really good performance from Florence Pugh as the main character, Dani.

Looking forward to watching it again

Midsommar

Been looking forward to this especially as it's from Ari Aster who directed the brilliant Hereditary

This didn't disappoint. It's actually more like The Wicker Man than i thought it would be which is no bad thing although the motivations are not as straightforward.

This is impressive and ambitious with startling imagery, much of it weird and disturbing.

The off kilter atmosphere of the film is nicely unsettling but i also found some of it quite funny.

Loved this one a lot, will surely be on my list of favorites of 2019. Can't wait to see the Extended Cut eventually.
    Midsommar

Loved this one a lot, will surely be on my list of favorites of 2019. Can't wait to see the Extended Cut eventually.

Yeah i've heard there's a longer version. Hopefully released on Bluray.

I think this is one film that will benefit from being longer.